Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 37
Re: Forget the rumours, the new boot IS LA '75!
Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: April 4, 2012 14:36

You can't change the dynamics once they're already squashed.

I listened to Captain Acid's Hampton81 "remaster" and there was no change

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 4, 2012 14:54

sounds freakin fine on my stereo!
there are points where i'd turn Billy down and turn Ollie up, but all in all: ~*YEAH!*~

thanks & praises, Rolling Stones

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 4, 2012 14:58

WeLoveYou

Because he almost hadn't anything changed. If I remember well he only had the sound lowered and did some slight EQ adjustements.

Posted by: Alef ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:00

kevinkamphuis
Here's some mastering i've done on Gimme Shelter
[rapidshare.com]

I've restored some of the clipping and dynamics
Also some adjustments on the drum sound...

How can you restore clipping? In case of audio clipping, information is completely lost (it is cut off). Just like blown out highlights in a photograph.

Restoring songs that are not even on the record would be the same. But maybe you're a magician.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:06

"I listened to GS he did, and you get the same result by lowering the gain with 2 dB."

With Vlc I lower the gain by much more : about 20 dB. I like clarity.

And I listen to the FLAC files on a 2008 Imac with Sennheiser "cans".

i admit that if I burnt the files on a CDr and listened to it on the home stereo I'd not feel the brickwalled sound as much but still why can't the SA crew do a clean mastering?

Date: April 4, 2012 15:16

kowalski
WeLoveYou

Because he almost hadn't anything changed. If I remember well he only had the sound lowered and did some slight EQ adjustements.

So what was changed with the GS track you heard?

Date: April 4, 2012 15:17

Alef
kevinkamphuis
Here's some mastering i've done on Gimme Shelter
[rapidshare.com]

I've restored some of the clipping and dynamics
Also some adjustments on the drum sound...

How can you restore clipping? In case of audio clipping, information is completely lost (it is cut off). Just like blown out highlights in a photograph.

Restoring songs that are not even on the record would be the same. But maybe you're a magician.

How can dymanics be restored?

Date: April 4, 2012 15:19

with sssoul
there are points where i'd turn Billy down and turn Ollie up, but all in all: ~*YEAH!*~

I agree, the Billy tracks are funky!

I didn't realise it was Ollie on drums, I thought it was CW. Makes sense now as to why Ollie was playing with the band - I thought he was just there to be a percussionist.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:24

Mathijs
Koen
Listened to the mp3s on my iPod through the car stereo on my way home. I agree with some of the comments above, not much depth and kinda harsh and tiring for my ears.

ALL music in mp3 format through an Ipod sounds thin and harsh, that has nothing to do with how the music was originally mixed and mastered.

An Ipod really is the worst way to listen music.

Mathijs

I think it is more the mp3 than the iPod. Once I get the FLACs I'll give it another listen.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:31

Koen
Mathijs
Koen
Listened to the mp3s on my iPod through the car stereo on my way home. I agree with some of the comments above, not much depth and kinda harsh and tiring for my ears.

ALL music in mp3 format through an Ipod sounds thin and harsh, that has nothing to do with how the music was originally mixed and mastered.

An Ipod really is the worst way to listen music.

Mathijs

I think it is more the mp3 than the iPod. Once I get the FLACs I'll give it another listen.

How much is the cost price of an Ipod? $25? So how good will the sound card of an Ipod be?

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:34

WeLoveYou
with sssoul

I agree, the Billy tracks are funky!

whoa - have some popcorn and enjoy the music, but agree with somebody else, willya?!
that's not even remotely what i said!

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:35

Guess we all need tube amps

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:44

iPods have audio chips, not soundcards. And these things can be meade cheap in such large quantities as Apple makes them. I do know that when I play lossless through my Sennheiser headphones plugged into my iPod, it can sound fukking awesome. With mp3s the quality obviously is much worse.

Posted by: René ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:05

Does STU play on this release? If yes, which songs?

Thanx!

René

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:07

GOO
Guess we all need tube amps

LMAO. Indeed, we do. Many of us just don't know it.

Date: April 4, 2012 16:09

shadooby
Is it just me or does Honky Tonk Women go on forever?

That's how they opened with Mick following the band out and mugging for the audience until signaling Keith to break into the song. A marvelous tension I shall never forget.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:17

Having now downloaded and burnt the flac files...I'm even more impressed with this...the only thing which annoys the hell out of me is the weird noises which occaionally appear throughout Sympathy, I'm pretty sure it's Bobby's keyboard but it sounds like a swirling/whistleing noise and just doesn't fit in well at all. Otherwise, no complaints from me, although after so many decades of listening to Love You Live I'm having to adjust for the slight variations on some songs - my brain is expecting all the Love You Live nuances!

Clearmountain has done a competent job on this and I'm sure some of you have raised some relevant points about 'brickwalling' etc it sounds fantastic to me and after all it is supposed to be a bootleg.

Ready for the next one now!!!!

Date: April 4, 2012 16:19

René
Does STU play on this release? If yes, which songs?

Thanx!

René

From Stones Archive website : "The lineup for the show is Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ronnie Wood, Bill Wyman, Ian "Stu" Stewart, Billy Preston, Ollie E. Brown and Trevor Lawrence."

Date: April 4, 2012 16:20

OK, I'm sorry to keep coming back to this but no one seems to be addressing the source tape issue.

How can Bob Clearmountain "remaster" a recording that has never been mastered or released to begin with UNLESS he's doing so with the audience recording that has comprised this beloved bootleg for all of these years?

I have yet to play this on my 'big boy' system but on my after-market car system it seems to lack a bit depth and detail.

I'll leave it to more patient and educated ears than mine to determine if LA FRIDAY is indeed derived from unreleased, multi-track board tapes. Surely there are 'markers' or other indicators spelling out the differences, if there are any.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:34

marko
The one here who collect every show,,,you should listen again Milwaukee-1975,,,to me mick does not sound sober,high on "something",his singing is absolutely maniac,so is the playing of the band.

Will burn La friday on cd today,and test it thru my 7000euro speakerssmileys with beer

which ones ? speakers

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:34

DandelionPowderman
Best release so far!

Fantastic versions of ADTL, Gimmie Shelter, YCAGWYW, Heartbreaker, Angie, Wild Horses, Fingerprint File!!!, BS, Midnight Rambler and SFTD.

Complaints about the sound must be due to your sound systems, folks. For me, it sounds fantastic, really great.

I've never heard Ronnie and Keith better. Listen to Keith on Fingerprint File - fantastic stuff. Ronnie owns YCAGWYW - no versions is even near this one.

I'm blown away by this thumbs up

agree.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: April 4, 2012 16:39

WeLoveYou
kowalski
WeLoveYou

Well balanced sound, less compressed and with no harshness, guitars that don't sound "metallic", drums that kick and full fat bass sound - not squashed like on the original release, and piano notes! I don't know how Mr. Kamphuis achieved this little miracle but it really sounds good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 16:40 by kowalski.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:40

crumbling_mice
...the only thing which annoys the hell out of me is the weird noises which occaionally appear throughout Sympathy, I'm pretty sure it's Bobby's keyboard but it sounds like a swirling/whistleing noise and just doesn't fit in well at all.

That's Billy, not Bobby...and you're right. He made a lot of STRANGE noises. Just listen to the beginning of Brown Sugar....Fortunately he is mixed pretty low. He's a lot louder in the audience recordings....Ow!

Date: April 4, 2012 16:41

There's some strange Billy sounds at the end of SFM from Brussels 73

Date: April 4, 2012 16:43

kowalski
WeLoveYou
kowalski
WeLoveYou

Well balanced sound, less compressed and with no harshness, guitars that don't sound "metallic", drums that kick and full fat bass sound - not squashed like on the original release, and piano notes! I don't know how Mr. Kamphuis achieved this little miracle but it really sounds good.

It must have been divine intervention that helped him to restore lost dynamics, so yes a miracle

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:52

R
OK, I'm sorry to keep coming back to this but no one seems to be addressing the source tape issue.

How can Bob Clearmountain "remaster" a recording that has never been mastered or released to begin with UNLESS he's doing so with the audience recording that has comprised this beloved bootleg for all of these years?

I have yet to play this on my 'big boy' system but on my after-market car system it seems to lack a bit depth and detail.

I'll leave it to more patient and educated ears than mine to determine if LA FRIDAY is indeed derived from unreleased, multi-track board tapes. Surely there are 'markers' or other indicators spelling out the differences, if there are any.

It's not an audience tape. It is clearly mixed from a multitrack professional recording.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:53

R

LA FRIDAY is indeed derived from unreleased, multi-track board tapes, NOT the wellknown audience tape. It could well be that the reordings on multitrack were made and were to be used (eventually) on the Love You Live album. However, from LA, only SFTD from july 9, 1975 was used on LYL, if i'm correct...
So R, a remaster could well be made by Clearmountain if the master existed as a contender for the LYL album.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:55

Good recording. Perhaps the best live version of GS that I've heard. Gave me chills listening to it. It's played well many, many times of course; but this one seemed really to capture the meaning behind the song. the intensity of the playing is great, and I think this is what they were expecting when they recruited Ronnie.

Great stuff.

Posted by: steve6884 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 17:16

Is it just me or does it sound like they never rehearsed You Gotta Move and just decided to play it out of the blue?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 4, 2012 17:22

Munichhilton
crumbling_mice
...the only thing which annoys the hell out of me is the weird noises which occaionally appear throughout Sympathy, I'm pretty sure it's Bobby's keyboard but it sounds like a swirling/whistleing noise and just doesn't fit in well at all.

That's Billy, not Bobby...and you're right. He made a lot of STRANGE noises. Just listen to the beginning of Brown Sugar....Fortunately he is mixed pretty low. He's a lot louder in the audience recordings....Ow!

Whoops...meant to say Billy! Glad someone else hears it, at first I though I had some dodgy flac files.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home