Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Stones want our bootlegs!
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 29, 2012 04:26

memphiscats
falo01
Erik_Snow
It would be throwing pearls at swines, sending any treasure to stonesarchieve
They probably chop it completely up, misdate it, brickwall the audio, make it lossy, remove Bill Wyman, withdraw 60 dollars from the donator's bankaccount for RScom membership, and charge 10 dollars for a download at the same time.

And take your first born, sell your grandmother, kick your dog, and filet your cats...
Can you believe we ever like these SOBs??spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

filet my cats!??!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 04:29 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 29, 2012 04:41

MEOW!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 29, 2012 04:45

Or like as I recall Peter Grant of Led Zeppelin having security rough up guys selling "bootleg" tee-shirts in parking lots. (A practice that was quite prevalent in the 70's) Harrassing people just because a kid wanted to save a few precious dollars and own a shirt.

Date: March 29, 2012 04:59

memphiscats
MEOW!
CAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

winking smiley

Date: March 29, 2012 05:17

The Sicilian
Or like as I recall Peter Grant of Led Zeppelin having security rough up guys selling "bootleg" tee-shirts in parking lots. (A practice that was quite prevalent in the 70's) Harrassing people just because a kid wanted to save a few precious dollars and own a shirt.

Bootlegs, be it a disc or a shirt, are the last 2 cents to maybe be made in the music biz....... people who buy/want this crap are the hard core fans. People who are willing to obtain and listen to a crappy quality shows for the love of the music are the people who buy tickets to every show and buy every official release.

I bet if they could go back in time and there was NEVER a bootleg, of any kind, ever made, the artists would actually have seen less revenue, because the overall excitement level (wrong word?) would be lower, and less people would tell less other people...

.....and thugs like Grant was ordering guys beat up.... sheeesh.

Once someone is out in the parking lot, they probably are not going back into the arena to buy a shirt..... but if they buy a bootleg shirt in the lot... and eventually they wear it out in public.... then someone else sees it and they are reminded HEY!!!!! STONES DUDE!!... and then they go and buy a legit disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 05:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 29, 2012 05:33

Erik_Snow
It would be throwing pearls at swines, sending any treasure to stonesarchieve
They probably chop it completely up, misdate it, brickwall the audio, make it lossy, remove Bill Wyman, withdraw 60 dollars from the donator's bankaccount for RScom membership, and charge 10 dollars for a download at the same time.

I was thinking the same thing,is not like they are offering to pay if they use your stuff,l rather share my Stones stuff here than give it to RScom....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 29, 2012 07:52

I'm sitting here already watching the whiners sully the 50th anniversary. Isn't that great?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 29, 2012 08:17

falo01
thats funny. for 50 years they are treating tapers like criminals and now they are asking for recordings....

Who is the 'they'? Not the Stones themselves ... I've read several quotes from the 70s and 80s where they said they did not have problems w/ bootlegs.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 29, 2012 08:33

Gazza
swiss
If the Grateful Dead were asking for people's boots, that would be one thing. They didn't prosecute people from recording them in the first place--in fact, they encouraged it, and encouraged people to share with each other, and with them, if they felt like it.

Not quite correct. The Dead vigorously pursued bootleggers (ie people who RELEASED live shows for profit on LP/CD etc) whilst encouraging tapers.

Aack - so right, Gazza. Critical distinction smiling smiley

-swiss

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 29, 2012 08:47

Hope some great stuff gets sent in. So I don't have to see the "...philosophically trying" Mick clip for the millionth time.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 29, 2012 09:13

How can we send a video since megaupload is closed ? grinning smiley

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 29, 2012 09:56

His Majesty
Look at it this way, would you like to hear some as yet unheard to you recordings? It depends on what they intend to do of course, but this might be a way for a whole lot of people to hear a whole lot of amazing music by The Rolling Stones!

If the intention is for some kind of online archive, they should kick start it by putting 1962 Curly Clayton Sound Studio demo session or the 1963 Crawdaddy Club recording online as a download. grinning smiley

But -what do we have that the Stones don't have? I mean, they are ones who have recorded every show since '69 (and I meand: professional recording, not audience), they have hundreds and hundreds of hours of studio recordings since '64.

So maybe they should take the first step: if they release every show from '69 to '82, then I will send in any bootleg recording I might possibly perhaps maybe could have in my possesion.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 29, 2012 10:03

Mathijs
His Majesty
Look at it this way, would you like to hear some as yet unheard to you recordings? It depends on what they intend to do of course, but this might be a way for a whole lot of people to hear a whole lot of amazing music by The Rolling Stones!

If the intention is for some kind of online archive, they should kick start it by putting 1962 Curly Clayton Sound Studio demo session or the 1963 Crawdaddy Club recording online as a download. grinning smiley

But -what do we have that the Stones don't have? I mean, they are ones who have recorded every show since '69 (and I meand: professional recording, not audience), they have hundreds and hundreds of hours of studio recordings since '64.

So maybe they should take the first step: if they release every show from '69 to '82, then I will send in any bootleg recording I might possibly perhaps maybe could have in my possesion.

Mathijs

The Rolling Stones' website doesn't seem to have any access to RS vaults, it's just a business-collabration. Their website are run by a bunch of webdesigners and salesmen who's main purpose is to sell t-shirts and caps. They could had been working at walmart for all they care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 10:08 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 29, 2012 10:42

Erik_Snow
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

The Rolling Stones' website doesn't seem to have any access to RS vaults, it's just a business-collabration. Their website are run by a bunch of webdesigners and salesmen who's main purpose is to sell t-shirts and caps. They could had been working at walmart for all they care

Well, the Facebook message was signed Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie. And the Stones have been involved with all the archive releases so far.

I agree with Mathijs. Sure, there's a lot of fans sitting on some cool stuff. But the real treasure is the Stones own archive, as we have seen recently. They gave us one cd worth of '73 soundboard material, but there's still the entine '72 tour in the vaults ... and so on and so on.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 29, 2012 10:50

LieB
Well, the Facebook message was signed Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie. And the Stones have been involved with all the archive releases so far.

Yes they get some stuff sent from RS at times, obviously

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 29, 2012 12:25

the radio / tv broadcasts stations must have a lot in their archives?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 29, 2012 12:55

My friend has a piece of footage of him sat with Jerry Garcia and Mountain Girl backstage in London. Jerry is playing them some nice country blues stuff and my friend was saying how much he wished he had this on film and lo and behold a roadie/assistant filmed it for them and later he got the clip. This was in the days before mobile phones. The Dead had such a great attitude.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 29, 2012 22:17

crumbling_mice
My friend has a piece of footage of him sat with Jerry Garcia and Mountain Girl backstage in London. Jerry is playing them some nice country blues stuff and my friend was saying how much he wished he had this on film and lo and behold a roadie/assistant filmed it for them and later he got the clip. This was in the days before mobile phones. The Dead had such a great attitude.

Yeah, the Dead certainly built a lot of their legacy by this.
I agree with what Max'sKansasCity said as well -- it's ridiculous to harass people selling t-shirts in the parking lot. The tiny bit of revenue lost in official merchandise sales is less than what you lose in PR.

But I don't think people realized this or cared about it back in the 70s as much as they do today (except for a handful of idiots, like Lars Ulrich fighting Napster and then talking nostalgically about trading mix tapes in early 80s LA). In those days they sold tons of records and not only did they think confiscating tape recorders and t-shirts was the right thing, they could also easily afford it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 22:18 by LieB.

Date: March 30, 2012 01:20

crumbling_mice

Dang, Crumbling! I would love love love to see that. Any idea what year/when that would have been from? That is something that the Grateful Dead Archive might be very interested in.
-swiss

Date: March 30, 2012 02:09

LieB
crumbling_mice

Yeah, the Dead certainly built a lot of their legacy by this.
I agree with what Max'sKansasCity said as well -- it's ridiculous to harass people selling t-shirts in the parking lot. The tiny bit of revenue lost in official merchandise sales is less than what you lose in PR.

But I don't think people realized this or cared about it back in the 70s as much as they do today (except for a handful of idiots, like Lars Ulrich fighting Napster and then talking nostalgically about trading mix tapes in early 80s LA). In those days they sold tons of records and not only did they think confiscating tape recorders and t-shirts was the right thing, they could also easily afford it.

thumbs up

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-30 02:26 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 30, 2012 13:03

Again as Gazza stated above there's a difference between a bootleg and a recording. The Stones have a lot of recordings and a lot of bootlegs. There's even a recording of Mick buying bootlegs, and before I get the usual crap from posters, the recording exists and has been widely circulating for over 30 years.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2012 13:23

the recording exists ....hey yeah it was tacked on the end of a Stones vinyl boot

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 30, 2012 13:50

swiss
crumbling_mice

Dang, Crumbling! I would love love love to see that. Any idea what year/when that would have been from? That is something that the Grateful Dead Archive might be very interested in.
-swiss

Well, he told me the story in 1989 and it sounded like it was a good few years before that swiss, so I would guess it was a late 70's early 80's and it was definatly a london show but other than that I can't remember and he now lives in Japan so kinda lost touch with him. I'd also love to see it as I'm a huge Dead Head and had the privilage of seeing them once!

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 30, 2012 22:21

release this

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 31, 2012 02:37

I guess there's no need to send them any later era audience tapes...what they obviously are up for are rare recordings from the early days because very little seemingly exists from shows in 1963/64.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 31, 2012 02:50

No..ya can't have 'em!!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 31, 2012 07:32

alimente
I guess there's no need to send them any later era audience tapes...what they obviously are up for are rare recordings from the early days because very little seemingly exists from shows in 1963/64.

What about the BBC stuff? Cops & Robbers, etc? Wish they'd release that!

Date: April 1, 2012 11:29

crumbling_mice
swiss
crumbling_mice

-swiss

Well, he told me the story in 1989 and it sounded like it was a good few years before that swiss, so I would guess it was a late 70's early 80's and it was definatly a london show but other than that I can't remember and he now lives in Japan so kinda lost touch with him. I'd also love to see it as I'm a huge Dead Head and had the privilage of seeing them once!

Crumbling, thank you!
hmmm...maybe I'll go to a Dead forum and see whether anyone knows about this on their side of the world. If Mountain Girl was around it would most likely be pre-1978, because Jerry and she split up in '78. I'd never heard of the Stones being in the same place as the same time as The Grateful Dead, post-Altamont. Tho' I've also never actually looked into that. I just presumed there was such an unbreechable rift after the clucterfock that was Altamont they wouldn't have been hanging, casually sharing tunes backstage, ever again. Super interesting...so curious where/when it might have been. I may to start a new thread. Thanks for mentioning it. btw...where are you located again? For some reason I'm thinking like TN?
best
swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-01 11:32 by swiss.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 1, 2012 15:44

wouldnt the stones archives dwarf anything that we haveconfused smiley

Posted by: joel ()
Date: April 1, 2012 16:21

I think that if yoy have some nice film from the past you will be rich in the future.
Perhaps Sothebys will sell it for big money in 100 years from now.
That would be a nice gift for your grandchildren.
Look at the prices of photos,they are big money today.
Or perhaps you are polite and let the rest of the fans see it instead.
But be careful,giants like Stones have lawyers that works for the big musiccompanies and the will not pay for something that they have the legal right to.
If you sell,let them pay!!!!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home