Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Stones want our bootlegs!
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 28, 2012 20:17

Posted one hour ago on the official Rolling Stones Facebook:

Dear Rolling Stones fans,

We're gearing up to celebrate our fiftieth anniversary with a lot of exciting plans, and we'd appreciate your help with some of them.

Have you got any interesting photos, videos or audio of the band or band members? Maybe you filmed us on Super 8, stepping off the Isle of Wight ferry in 1964? Or perhaps you have made a VHS recording of us hanging out backstage at MSG in 1981? Do you have a recording from our gig in Streatham in 1963?

If you think you may have an amazing memento from our history we'd love to hear from you. Send an email to: memorymotel@stonesarchive.com

Thank you for being with us for all of these years, it's been a wild ride and there's plenty more to come!

Love from Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie

Pretty cool!
(Sorry if this has been posted here before, I can't seem to find it though.)

Re: The Stones want our bootlegs!
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 28, 2012 20:22

Pearl Jam did something like this to make the PJ20 movie. Asked fans to send in whatever footage they might have for use in the film. Can't help but wonder if there's a 50th Anniversary film in the works when I read this.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 28, 2012 20:29

LieB

Pretty cool!
(Sorry if this has been posted here before, I can't seem to find it though.)
No I don't think it's been on here before - I think the Stones site just posted this today on both their FB & tumblr.

I thought the same thing about the movie. How cool would that be if your video made it into the film??
I have nothing to contribute but I'm sure there might be some people here who could.
Cheers. smoking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 28, 2012 20:32

Perhaps for an online bootleg archive like King Crimson?

[www.dgmlive.com]

eye popping smiley

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: March 28, 2012 20:36

thats funny. for 50 years they are treating tapers like criminals and now they are asking for recordings....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 28, 2012 20:40

So, first they prosecute me, now they want me to cooperate?

mathijs

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 28, 2012 20:40

I've got lots of stuff from the two shows in Oshawa,1979! grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 28, 2012 22:07

Mathijs

mathijs

"First you shock them then they put you in a museum". Our private memorabilia items put into the Stones archive/museum? Funny thought...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 28, 2012 22:10

NoCode0680
Pearl Jam did something like this to make the PJ20 movie. Asked fans to send in whatever footage they might have for use in the film. Can't help but wonder if there's a 50th Anniversary film in the works when I read this.

There is. Theyve already confirmed a documentary for later this year.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 28, 2012 22:14

Don't do it...Its a trap. I've already lost too much taping equipment to the them.
Plus it turns out I only have official releases at my ranch....no bootlegs at all.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 28, 2012 22:15

It would be throwing pearls at swines, sending any treasure to stonesarchieve
They probably chop it completely up, misdate it, brickwall the audio, make it lossy, remove Bill Wyman, withdraw 60 dollars from the donator's bankaccount for RScom membership, and charge 10 dollars for a download at the same time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-28 22:35 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 28, 2012 22:15

Gazza
NoCode0680

There is. Theyve already confirmed a documentary for later this year.

Ah cool. I hadn't heard that. Clearly I don't stay informed, I had just heard of the book.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 28, 2012 22:17

The Beach Boys did a similiar thing last year in promotion for The SMiLE Sessions. On their Facebook page, they invited fans to post pictures of their bootleg copies of SMiLE. SMiLE was heavily bootlegged and there were different variations on the recordings released over the decades by many different sources...everyone had a different product to show and it was an entertaining feature on their FB page to skim through.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 28, 2012 22:19

Well I hope if any of you feel generous enough to let them copy your personal footage you charge them and charge them well! Cheeky as @#$%& them wanting to use the very recordings they tried to prevent and threaten prosecution over.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 29, 2012 00:31

Mathijs

mathijs

grinning smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 29, 2012 01:56

If the Grateful Dead were asking for people's boots, that would be one thing. They didn't prosecute people from recording them in the first place--in fact, they encouraged it, and encouraged people to share with each other, and with them, if they felt like it.

But the Stones....? And maybe I'm just in a blue mood (I am) but it seems awfully smarmy and disingenuous -- all that xoxo Love from Ronnie, Keith, Mick & Keithy stuff.

As I responded on their Facebook post: "Who would henceforth own the rights to these items, if we did indeed have them, and share them with you?"

Surprised that no on else -- of the 10,000 LIKES and 600 comments -- already asked this question on Facebook.

- swiss

Date: March 29, 2012 02:01

Yer possibly shooting yourselves in the foot, people sharing their own personal recordings etc may result in everyone, you and me and them, having the chance to see/hear them when we otherwise probably wouldn't.

I shall be messaging mr Glasgow 66 to send his recordings in. thumbs up

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 29, 2012 02:05

swiss
If the Grateful Dead were asking for people's boots, that would be one thing. They didn't prosecute people from recording them in the first place--in fact, they encouraged it, and encouraged people to share with each other, and with them, if they felt like it.

But the Stones....? And maybe I'm just in a blue mood (I am) but it seems awfully smarmy and disingenuous -- all that xoxo Love from Ronnie, Keith, Mick & Keithy stuff.

As I responded on their Facebook post: "Who would henceforth own the rights to these items, if we did indeed have them, and share them with you?"

Surprised that no on else -- of the 10,000 LIKES and 600 comments -- already asked this question on Facebook.

- swiss

Earlier, when I read this topic I just closed it, refrained from commenting, because I didnt want to party poop, BUT AFTER READING SWISS'S COMMENT.... I AGREE 100%.... For years they made us bust our asses sneaking in equipment, camera in socks, getting felt up,,,, security aholes lining the front wall staring out like cops... taking away camera after camera..... AND NOW they want us to share with them.....YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

I am no fan of the Grateful Dead, but I always admired the way they let people tape, that was so awesome. I never understood why most dumb ass bands had/have such an attitude about cameras and tapers etc.... I (really) said years ago... "Someday you might want to see what we captured, why let your performance to evaporate in the cosmos?, just let us record it, we are doing the work, and maybe someday we will share"...... BUT NO, THEY NEVER LET UP THE SECUURITY CRAP!!

How many times was anybody front row, stuck with some security idiot staring at you the whole show?.... it was awkward, to say the least.... and watching them leap the barricade, run into the audience to take away someone's camera/recorder??... WTF?? .. and now to ask for this.... YEAH RIGHT!!!!! I love Stones more than most.... but this is hypocritical.

anyway.../rant smiling smiley

As I said, I didnt post this before, just to be kind, get along and try to play nice with others, but I will back up Swiss's comment 100%.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 02:16 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2012 02:19

Max'sKansasCity
swiss

- swiss

Earlier, when I read this topic I just closed it, refrained from commenting, because I didnt want to party poop, BUT AFTER READING SWISS'S COMMENT.... I AGREE 100%.... For years they made us bust our asses sneaking in equipment, camera in socks, getting felt up,,,, security aholes lining the front wall staring out like cops... taking away camera after camera..... AND NOW they want us to share with them.....YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

I am no fan of the Grateful Dead, but I always admired the way they let people tape, that was so awesome. I never understood why most dumb ass bands had/have such an attitude about cameras and tapers etc.... I (really) said years ago... "Someday you might want to see what we captured, why let your performance to evaporate in the cosmos?, just let us record it, we are doing the work, and maybe someday we will share"...... BUT NO, THEY NEVER LET UP THE SECUURITY CRAP!!

How many times was anybody front row, stuck with some security idiot staring at you the whole show?.... it was awkward, to say the least.... and watching them leap the barricade, run into the audience to take away someone's camera/recorder??... WTF?? .. and now to ask for this.... YEAH RIGHT!!!!! I love Stones more than most.... but this is hypocritical.

As I said, I didnt post this before, just to be kind, get along and try to play nice with others, but I will back up Swiss's comment 100%.

Ahem...they "made us sneak in equipment"? I don't recall the Stones ever forcing anyone to bootleg them. I am an admirer of the folks who risked life and limb to surreptitiously record and film the Stones. I am grateful for them and have been rewarded by their efforts for over three decades. But at no time were any of these people forced to do what they did.

Date: March 29, 2012 02:20

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
swiss

- swiss

Ahem...they "made us sneak in equipment"? I don't recall the Stones ever forcing anyone to bootleg them. I am an admirer of the folks who risked life and limb to surreptitiously record and film the Stones. I am grateful for them and have been rewarded by their efforts for over three decades. But at no time were any of these people forced to do what they did.
yawn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 02:21 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2012 02:36

swiss

Not quite correct. The Dead vigorously pursued bootleggers (ie people who RELEASED live shows for profit on LP/CD etc) whilst encouraging tapers.

Date: March 29, 2012 02:37

Look at it this way, would you like to hear some as yet unheard to you recordings? It depends on what they intend to do of course, but this might be a way for a whole lot of people to hear a whole lot of amazing music by The Rolling Stones!

If the intention is for some kind of online archive, they should kick start it by putting 1962 Curly Clayton Sound Studio demo session or the 1963 Crawdaddy Club recording online as a download. grinning smiley

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: March 29, 2012 02:40

A few years ago, the Doors asked their fans for bootleg material!

Date: March 29, 2012 02:43

His Majesty
Look at it this way, would you like to hear some as yet unheard to you recordings? It depends on what they intend to do of course, but this might be a way for a whole lot of people to hear a whole lot of amazing music by The Rolling Stones!

If the intention is for some kind of online archive, they should kick start it by putting 1962 Curly Clayton Sound Studio demo session or the 1963 Crawdaddy Club recording online as a download. grinning smiley

That would be really cool. thumbs up

Date: March 29, 2012 02:46

My earlier post is not only meant for the Stones, but also for any bands out there today (LOOKING AT YOU TOM PETTY) who are still very militant about NOT letting people record. I know nobody reads here, but neverthelessmoreallsomepartyeah

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: March 29, 2012 02:46

Erik_Snow
They probably chop it completely up, misdate it, brickwall the audio, make it lossy, remove Bill Wyman, withdraw 60 dollars from the donator's bankaccount for RScom membership, and charge 10 dollars for a download at the same time.

exactly

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2012 03:03

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
swiss

- swiss

yawn

Merely pointing out a fact.

I really don't know what your problem is, but good luck with it.

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: March 29, 2012 03:16

their site is a huge disappointment. Led Zeppelin's site is cool. You can go to all their concert dates and check out stuff for that show. That's what the stones should do. They can't even get dates up for most of their stuff.
About the comment on camera's... in the 70's it was no big deal to take in a camera. Then they got weird about it. I'm not sure why. They just gotta work on the mic and the length of film you can get into a cell phone now.

How many cameras???

Date: March 29, 2012 03:22

Keef1966
How many cameras???
LOL!!! Great shot.... actually most look like cell phones...
How funny was it when they were still hard core about banning
cameras, but let everyone bring in a cell phone... just too funny winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 03:25 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 29, 2012 03:37

falo01
Erik_Snow

And take your first born, sell your grandmother, kick your dog, and filet your cats...
Can you believe we ever like these SOBs??spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1438
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home