Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thoughts on Jagger song Evening Gown Attn: Newbies
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 23, 2012 21:12

I appreciate Mick's song "Evening Gown" more I hear it on YouTube.
Wonder if newer IORR posters are aware of this song? Like it? Hate it?

Re: Thoughts on Jagger song Evening Gown Attn: Newbies
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 23, 2012 21:19

One of the 15 nicest RS songs after the 80s, if one include both solo and RS songs, me thinks. A simple pop country song, but effective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-23 21:28 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: March 23, 2012 21:26

Love it, Mick could always write a good country song.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: March 23, 2012 23:00

One of the few newer Stones tunes that should be played more.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 23, 2012 23:05

Love it....

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 24, 2012 00:58

It's a good one!

Posted by: kait ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:31

a great song from a great album

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:39

rogue
One of the few newer Stones tunes that should be played more.

Except it's not a Stones song.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:51

Additional proof that Jagger is one of the greatest writers of ballads ever. I personally love his solo ballads. If one keeps an open mind: Hard Woman, Party Doll, Say You Will, Evening Gown, Hang On To Me Tonight, Angel In My Heart, Don't Call Me Up and Too Far Gone are superior or at least equally compare to the best Stones ballads, especially since Out Of Tears. And of all those Don't Call Me Up and Evening Gown are the best.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 24, 2012 02:22

Great song, I've always loved it. Wandering Spirit was Mick enjoying being a "Stone" without the dusty baggage of the others actually having to be there. And Wandering Spirit makes me wish Bridges to Babylon didn't happen when it did - it robbed us of an AMAZING possible follow-up to Wandering Spirit since Saint of ME and Out of Control (the two best Stones songs since Tattoo You) we MEANT to be Mick solo songs on "WSII".

I'll take Wandering Spirit over any post-Tattoo You Stones stuff anyday (not counting Mick's vault diving).

Actually, funny that. Mick's inspiration was clearly back on the Exile and Some Girls bonus stuff too (especially compared to the sterile and limp A Bigger Bang), because once again - he could ENJOY being a Stone without having to put up with the BS baggage of the others being there!

Perhaps (and this is pretty bold to say), for Jagger's creativity and muse, The Stones should have called it quits 20 years ago. I do stand by that though. No one can cite a Vegas-era show or boot or first-hand account of a moment that I wasn't at to make me change my mind.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 24, 2012 02:46

Great Post JamesFDouglas

Is PowerGoats your band?

If I were to play one track what should it be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-24 03:54 by stonesrule.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: March 24, 2012 03:15

light years better than anything they put out as a band in the vegas era. tune is great and jaggers timing on the final chorus is impeccable.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 24, 2012 04:01

jamesfdouglas
Great song, I've always loved it. Wandering Spirit was Mick enjoying being a "Stone" without the dusty baggage of the others actually having to be there. And Wandering Spirit makes me wish Bridges to Babylon didn't happen when it did - it robbed us of an AMAZING possible follow-up to Wandering Spirit since Saint of ME and Out of Control (the two best Stones songs since Tattoo You) we MEANT to be Mick solo songs on "WSII".

I'll take Wandering Spirit over any post-Tattoo You Stones stuff anyday (not counting Mick's vault diving).

Actually, funny that. Mick's inspiration was clearly back on the Exile and Some Girls bonus stuff too (especially compared to the sterile and limp A Bigger Bang), because once again - he could ENJOY being a Stone without having to put up with the BS baggage of the others being there!

Perhaps (and this is pretty bold to say), for Jagger's creativity and muse, The Stones should have called it quits 20 years ago. I do stand by that though. No one can cite a Vegas-era show or boot or first-hand account of a moment that I wasn't at to make me change my mind.

thumbs up all too true....

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: March 24, 2012 04:07

Dandy song and there's a great cover by Alejandro Escovedo/Jon Langford that captures the broken twang feel in the song.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: March 24, 2012 04:08

Dandy song and there's a great cover by Alejandro Escovedo/Jon Langford that captures the broken twang call and response feel in the song.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 24, 2012 04:11

roryg
Dandy song and there's a great cover by Alejandro Escovedo/Jon Langford that captures the broken twang feel in the song.

Indeed! He also does an ace "Sway".

Date: March 24, 2012 06:18

jamesfdouglas

Great great post James Douglas -

"he could ENJOY being a Stone without having to put up with the BS baggage of the others being there!"

Perhaps the most apt description of Jagger's ambivalent relationship to the Stones that anyone on this board has come up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 24, 2012 06:20

Nope never heard of the tune. I'll report back after a listen. peace

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 24, 2012 06:43

I like Don't Call Me Up, Out of Focus more........

Date: March 24, 2012 07:40

stonesrule
I appreciate Mick's song "Evening Gown" more I hear it on YouTube.
Wonder if newer IORR posters are aware of this song? Like it? Hate it?

Why do you assume newer IORR posters are not aware of this song? That is arbitrary at best.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 24, 2012 08:50

I love Evening Gown.

A really great country singer could have a new hit with it. When Jerry Lee finally recorded it, I'll say it was a bit of a let down.

I would have killed to have heard George Jones do it 10-15 years ago when he still had all of his range.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 24, 2012 12:27

EG is a good song. And fortunatley enough it wasn't over ruined by the shitty WS production. Rip on acoustic, doesn't disturb me as much as he does when on electric. The piano, bass and slide parts are quite sterile but at least Keltner knows his job and adds some balls.

C

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 24, 2012 13:07

beautiful song...is there any doubt that Jerry Hall was a great nmuse for him.

Date: March 24, 2012 17:25

"Newer posters" would not have seen comments here from several years ago.

Keefinthenight82, you're SO right. George Jones would have undoubtedly loved this song. I came to know Jones in the early 70s when he had good nights and not so good ones. Clive Davis was very supportive of Jones great talent.

Date: March 24, 2012 20:29

I read at the time that Gary Louris from Jayhawks was supposed to play on this one, but it never happened.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 24, 2012 21:08

jamesfdouglas

Spot on. To say it straight: Creatively speaking, the Stones should have stopped during the "WW3". What they have done ever since is generally meciocre autopilot music, made of compromises with as littl effort as possible, in which none of them has any real heart in it. No hunger or drive there. I think that in future when the Stones output from the 80's on is critically examined, and compared to their solo offererings - especially Jagger's - it will be clear that any way interesting, worthy music with some sort of a creative point is to be found from the latter mentioned source. But the umbrella trademark of The Stones, the nostalgy backed with Cohlian tours, was way too financially and egowise tempting option than that they could not have risk that income and glory by strictly following the muse. Jagger tried, but chickened.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-24 21:11 by Doxa.

Date: March 24, 2012 21:24

Hmm.. to back my post; I think the Stones/Glimmer Twins output since UNDERCOVER would go something like the following way (my personal rating)

1. WANDERING SPIRIT
2. TALK IS CHEAP
3. PRIMITIVE COOL (yes!)
4. BRIDGES TO BABYLON
5. STEEL WHEELS
6. SHE'S THE BOSS
7. DIRTY WORK
8. GODDESS IN DOORWAY
9. MAIN OFFENDER
10. VOODOO LOUNGE
11. A BIGGER BANG

- Doxa

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 24, 2012 21:27

Doxa
3. PRIMITIVE COOL (yes!)

No...!!

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: March 24, 2012 21:36

jamesfdouglas

I disagree with your post completely, JFD. You are implying that the rest of the Stones are some kind of millstone around Jagger's neck. I have never read there was going to be a WSII (and I read a lot about the Stones), what's your source? I can't believe anyone would think that the Stones should have broken up 20 years ago so Jagger could cultivate his solo career. Evening Gown is a great tune, love the line "people say I'm a drinker/but I'm sober half the time." WS is by far his best solo disc, but Jagger's solo career mostly sucks. None of the Stones albums after DW are bad, one, B2B is even great. You would rather that not exist in favor of more Jagger solo!? You really think Jagger's solo canon post WS would be better than SW, VL, B2B, and ABB? Not me.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-24 21:44 by Zack.

Date: March 24, 2012 21:37

Erik_Snow
Doxa
3. PRIMITIVE COOL (yes!)

No...!!

Very underrated album, and a victim of many prejudices (and that of having born in the middle of WW3).. Lots of interesting things and musical adventures and Jagger widening his musical scope. The last time he actually tried something novel, and actually put himself on the table. Not should one horrible single track and a video ruin the whole album.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-24 21:38 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home