Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT. Analog vs. Digital...HELP
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 22, 2012 17:32

Hope you might help me...
My daughter is doing a project for science re these two mediums. We've checked Wicki & a couple of other sites. Perhaps those of you who are musicians, or anyone who is has a tuned-in ear can better explain WHY analog is better sounding when listening to music? My feeling/understanding is that analog is a truer "record" of sound you hear.

Thanks very much for any info and/or links.
Cheers,
M

p.s. I did a search on IORR to see if I could find a similar thread posted...nothing came up for analog vs. digital but many, many threads came up when I used ALL WORDS. So please feel free to point me to another thread if this topic was already discussed.

Re: OT. Analog vs. Digital...HELP
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 22, 2012 17:39

To put it simple,
analog music consists of soundwaves while digital music consists of soundstaircases

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 22, 2012 17:51

I cant think of an A+ way to say it... it almost has to be a demonstation.... is her report written or demonstration? One of the problems with this issue is that is people have varying/different hearing ears.

Some people seem to have "better" hearing and can hear great differences between an LP and a CD while others could not care less...... hey maybe that could be part of the report right there.

Maybe some people here could suggest some examples of certain recordings which are very easy to hear the difference between an LP versus CD. I might suggest giving a listen to Aqualung both ways.

Date: March 22, 2012 17:55

PS
would love to hear how this turns out.... maybe post some of her results.

Alos... do a search for Jack White and digital versus Analog,
[www.google.com]
I think Jack is trying to give analog comback...

here is just one article I found....
[www.endlessanalog.com]

Note to all audio engineers: Hope you held onto your tape machines, because as they languished in garages around the country as digital advancements won the day, Nashville engineer, producer and musician Chris Estes was scheming to make them relevant again. Two patents issued last month are proof he may have just blown the dust off a nearly extinct breed of deteriorating gear.

His invention: the CLASP system, short for Closed Loop Analog Signal Processing, or a fancy way of saying that he figured out how to make the predictable but clinical Pro Tools and the unreliable yet thrilling vintage tape play nice. Previously, merging the two in the studio was a lot like Elizabeth Taylor and men — a big hit in theory, but incredibly time-consuming and tedious in real life, and almost always regrettable.

Many studio folk consider two-inch tape the recording medium of the gods, but when Pro Tools took hold in the early ’90s, it bewitched with its more efficient, dependable and cost-effective appeal. In short, it made analog look like your grandpa’s way of doing things. But music aficionados still mourn the loss of analog’s more honest sound, in spite of its high-maintenance reputation.

CLASP, which Estes spent some five years finessing, not only promises all the benefits of analog’s pleasing electromagnetic charm, but throws in digital’s speed and ease of use. Plus, it extends the working life of tape, now in shorter supply with only two manufacturers worldwide and a price tag of $289 a reel.

"”With CLASP, tape is no longer linear or destructive,” Estes says. “You’re not actually storing on it. It’s just used as the medium.”

With tape as the puppet and digital as the master, it’s the best of both worlds. And it couldn’t come at a better time: Artists like Jack White still champion analog’s superior sound, and vinyl sales just jumped 33 percent in 2009 from the previous year, proof that just when you thought the analog vs. digital debate had exhaled its dying breath, it’s been resurrected.

Estes already has a number of marquee clients, with the likes of Lenny Kravitz using the system in his Gregory Town Sound studio, Taylor Swift producer Nathan Chapman and Neil Young producer Niko Bolas on board, and a few dozen clients on the coasts and overseas.

It’s been adopted by a handful of Nashville producers, but CLASP has been met with skepticism and befuddlement from some locals. Perhaps Music Row — itself slow to embrace Pro Tools once — is now so devoted to digital that it isn’t sure if there’s enough room for both formats in town. Not so with engineer Brian Kolb.

"”It’s a dream,” Kolb said on a recent visit to studio The Mix Dream, owned by producer Dave Brainard, where Kolb was in the midst of recording Ray Scott, a country crooner coming off a Warner Bros. debut. Kolb’s been recording in Nashville for a decade, using Pro Tools for eight of those years, and can recently boast the mixing credit for Jerrod Neimann’s third studio album Judge Jerrod & the Hung Jury, which debuted at No. 1 on Billboard last month.

“We were cutting at Ocean Way, and our drummer came in, who’s one of the best in the world,” Kolb recalls. “And he smiled when he saw the tape machine and said, ‘I’m gonna have to play good today, aren’t I?’ And I said, ‘Well, of course you are, but we can still punch,’ ” he says, referring to the process where the artist re-records a specific part of a take. With tape, when you punch, you lose the previous version, for better or worse. With CLASP, you can record a new take (or portion thereof) while preserving the old one, and you have the freedom to do it over and over. “He said, ‘Really?’ And the other guys were just like, ‘What?’ We still had all the benefits of tape, but we weren’t confined to it. We could still try things.”

Kolb figures Nashville’s resistance is fear of trying something new. Or maybe they just can’t understand how the thing works — Estes’ patents were initially rejected twice by the patent office; it took an in-person demonstration in D.C. for them to understand that he wasn’t just creating a new tape machine.

"”A world-class engineer at a studio took me out in the hallway and argued with me for half an hour saying it was physically impossible,” Estes recalls. “He said I must have invented the flux capacitor for this to work.”

That’s because the real trick of Estes’ innovation is time stamp manipulation of each digital audio file. Just don’t ask what that means unless you want a lesson in engineering, physics and a little time travel.

"A demonstration from Estes with an acoustic performance by Ray Scott had Scott’s voice, a mischievous baritone, go from Randy Travis to Johnny Cash with the flip of a switch. Or as Scott puts it, “All I know is he makes me sound better. Digital stuff slams, but it loses all the feeling.” Lucky for him, he’ll never have to choose between the two again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-22 18:03 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: March 22, 2012 17:59

Thank you, Erik & Max's...
Max - interesting point...it's supposed to be written but her science teacher is pretty cool & loves music, so this might be something she could demonstrate. And I like the point that people listen differently. I know that some of my Deutsche- grammophon CDs seem to sound much better than the LPs, but it could be that the LPs are so scratched...Rock n' roll seems to sound better on LPs, but that might be that that's the way we grew up "listening."

Cheers, guys!smoking smiley

Ha..my only version of Aqualung is on 8-track (would that be analog?)...

Date: March 22, 2012 18:05

memphiscats
Max - interesting point...it's supposed to be written but her science teacher is pretty cool & loves music, so this might be something she could demonstrate. And I like the point that people listen differently. I know that some of my Deutsche- grammophon CDs seem to sound much better than the LPs, but it could be that the LPs are so scratched...Rock n' roll seems to sound better on LPs, but that might be that that's the way we grew up "listening."

Yes it would... for sure... 8 track was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before digital was even a glimmer it it's Daddy's eye.... now if you can find an 8track player.

Maybe she could do an in-class demo... set up speakers and play different sources... LP/8track/CD.... and see if the young ears can hear the difference... then explain what Erik said about the different wave forms

If this was an adult class, and everyone consented.... they could then take a class break, pass out some mind lubricants, utilize them, then do a retest to see if people think it sounds better high winking smiley

Digital versus analog [www.google.com]

btw- I am not really a fan of Jack, but he seems hell bent of doing analog, so obviously somewhere, sometime someone convinced him that analog was better... it would be interesting to see what he would tell the class...

HEY!!! ya'll are close to Nashville, have your daughter call Jack/his people and ask him to help out... he might do it... and it would guarantee an A+

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-22 18:17 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 22, 2012 18:07

Neil Young said it was the difference between a digital photo and a film photo.

The closer you examine a fim photo the more details you see. The closer you look at a digital photo all you see are a series of dots.

Like CGI in a film, you know its fake.

Date: March 22, 2012 18:21

and I am serious about putting in a call to Jack White(or his people), this is EXACLTY his cup of tea, and what is the worse that can happen.... they say no... then she can guilt them by saying.... "Well we are the young people, the future, and if you are serious about this.....then you should.... " you know the deal.

Plus it is good practice for young people to reach for the sky, no telling how far it can go.

Date: March 22, 2012 18:33

Excellent stuff guys! Thank you so much. I knew IORR would be THE VOICE & SOUND of reason.
I'm a big Jack White fan so we'll give him a shout - nothing to loose!

I'll keep you posted.smoking smiley

HA - yes, mind lubrication works well for the adults - somehow I think the Catholic school system might frown on it, though winking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 22, 2012 18:35

To start, it is not necessarily true that analog is better than digital.

What I find funny is that in this era of LP reanissance, they (re)print mostly rock and jazz LP, but hardly any classic music works. I asked why, and the answer was, nobody wants them.

In my experience, today a high resolution music file can sound better than the same product in LP. But an LP is a "degradation" of the analog master (when the master is analog), so I do not know how the analog master compares to the high resolution digital counterpart.

C

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 22, 2012 18:51

Interesting, what about those Mobile Fidelity albums? Weren't the carved in to the vinyl direct from the master?

Date: March 22, 2012 19:03

Where's Kowalski! He loves this kind of stuff!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 22, 2012 19:04

I certainly don't think it's as simple as one is better than the other. Is it necessary to have analog for techno music? I have the complete collection of Bix Beiderbecke's work from the 1920s and there's no way this stuff sounds better on a scratchy 78.

Having said that, I can see where the warmth of analog would be great for music where you have real live musicians recording rock or folk in a room together. But like any recording tool, there are probably talented engineers who could fool me into reproducing that warmth digitally too. It sounds like we're talking about a hybrid. It will be interesting to see what kind of results they get.

And it always comes down to an individual's set of ears, not a pre-conceived conclusion that one is better than the other.

Date: March 22, 2012 19:05

Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats

Yes it would... for sure... 8 track was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before digital was even a glimmer it it's Daddy's eye.... now if you can find an 8track player.

Maybe she could do an in-class demo... set up speakers and play different sources... LP/8track/CD.... and see if the young ears can hear the difference... then explain what Erik said about the different wave forms

If this was an adult class, and everyone consented.... they could then take a class break, pass out some mind lubricants, utilize them, then do a retest to see if people think it sounds better high winking smiley

Digital versus analog [www.google.com]

btw- I am not really a fan of Jack, but he seems hell bent of doing analog, so obviously somewhere, sometime someone convinced him that analog was better... it would be interesting to see what he would tell the class...

HEY!!! ya'll are close to Nashville, have your daughter call Jack/his people and ask him to help out... he might do it... and it would guarantee an A+

That's a perfect example, Max. Bricks instead of hills.

Date: March 22, 2012 20:11

memphiscats
I'm a big Jack White fan so we'll give him a shout - nothing to loose!

I'll keep you posted.smoking smiley

The more I think about giving Jack White's studio/headquarters/whatever a call, the more I like that idea. I bet AT LEAST they have a great packet of information they would love to send out for a kid doing a school report on this... and at most... Jack White shows up and rocks their world.... can you imagine the press he would get on something like that? It might work.

nothing to loose.... do keep us posted.

Date: March 22, 2012 20:12

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
That's a perfect example, Max. Bricks instead of hills.
thumbs up

Date: March 22, 2012 20:16

memphiscats
HA - yes, mind lubrication works well for the adults - somehow I think the Catholic school system might frown on it, though winking smiley
Oh come... they love that stuff!!! LETS DO IT!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! OK OK OK !!! MAYBE NOT!!!

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: March 22, 2012 20:31

Does digital really sound better than analog?

The answer is yes if you compare a standard CD with its crappy resolution and sample rate (16 bits/44Khz) to an analog signal. The answer is no if you use 24bits/192Khz.

What do you think sounds better, a CD or a (analog) gramophone from the year 1900?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 22, 2012 20:50

I would say that if you compare CD and vinyl - the question is mastering - when did they do the mastering for the CD - most of CD´s from eighties and 90´s sounds like crap, but since then people have learned to make better mastering jobs, than what they did back then..that´s wy lot of the oldies get digitally remastered, cause the job that was done in the eighties was horrible. Vinyl sounded better.

I bought a CD copy of Exile back in the late eighties/early 90´s and vinyl sounded better. I had to buy the CD reissue again..later cause the new CD does sound better then the one that I bought during the late eighties, yes indeed..

Here´s Keiths " Analog sounds better"comment..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-22 20:50 by seitan.

Date: March 22, 2012 21:02

Thank you guys - GREAT stuff!
BTW - I've emailed Jack White's record label, thirdmanmusic in Nashville. I'll have my daughter call them when she gets home from school.

CHEERS!!cool smiley

p.s. The crazy Stones fan in me thinks, wow, Jack White - played with the Stones - the six degrees of separation between me & the Stones is getting smaller.
SELFISH MOTHER to the end! No wire hangers!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 22, 2012 21:08

I'd advise avoiding getting bogged down in which is better and just focus on the technical stuff, explaining what the differences are between digital and analog signals etc etc.

Better is about taste, tis subjective and not really the right stuff for a science project.

Date: March 22, 2012 21:25

His Majesty
I'd advise avoiding getting bogged down in which is better and just focus on the technical stuff, explaining what the differences are between digital and analog signals etc etc.

Better is about taste, tis subjective and not really the right stuff for a science project.
Good point. I will review the project's objective. I think you're right - the main point is to document the difference. However, I think it would make the content more interesting to mention what various musicians might feel about the upside/downside to each. BETTER is subjective ...but I would argue that certain music might sound better depending on its format...not that analog is BETTER or DIGITAL is better. Again, perhaps demonstrating the sounds would enable the listener to draw his/her own conclusion.
Thank you - I very much appreciate your help.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 22, 2012 21:37

memphiscats
His Majesty

Good point. I will review the project's objective. I think you're right - the main point is to document the difference. However, I think it would make the content more interesting to mention what various musicians might feel about the upside/downside to each. BETTER is subjective ...but I would argue that certain music might sound better depending on its format...not that analog is BETTER or DIGITAL is better. Again, perhaps demonstrating the sounds would enable the listener to draw his/her own conclusion.
Thank you - I very much appreciate your help.

Yeah, there's a nice balance to be had.

Hope Jack replies! thumbs up

To counter or maybe support what Jack might say I'd suggest to contact Sid Smith here.

[www.sidsmith.net]

He writes liner notes for remastered albums and helps with King Crimsons web site etc etc. He was deep in to music during 70's onwards. So an original analog fan, who now is called upon to write about and for digital releases both totally new and remasters.

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-22 21:39 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 22, 2012 21:44

Per the video: Is there nothing to be done about Keith's grotesque fingers? If that occurred from all the joy he gave us over the years, then please, he can retire and I'll understand.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 22, 2012 23:01

seitan
I would say that if you compare CD and vinyl - the question is mastering - when did they do the mastering for the CD - most of CD´s from eighties and 90´s sounds like crap, but since then people have learned to make better mastering jobs, than what they did back then..that´s wy lot of the oldies get digitally remastered, cause the job that was done in the eighties was horrible. Vinyl sounded better.

I bought a CD copy of Exile back in the late eighties/early 90´s and vinyl sounded better. I had to buy the CD reissue again..later cause the new CD does sound better then the one that I bought during the late eighties, yes indeed..

While I would agree with most of what you've said, interestingly your love for the new Exile puts you at odds with most others, as it has been widely noted that the volume is too loud on that remaster, leading to a brickwalling effect.

I have a copy of the Virgin remaster from the early/mid 90's and that CD is widedly considered the best CD thus far, although I've recently read about a new Japanese SACD that is even better.

All still considered, the original vinyl is still supposedly the best in terms of dynamics.

Date: March 22, 2012 23:02

Thanks - the Sid Smith site is neat.

Update: Well, we tried calling Jack's record label (I guess this would be only way to reach him.) We got a recording and entered an extension for a random employee - and my daughter left a heat-felt message asking if Jack would be willing to share his comments on analog/digital debate broken down into terms that an 8th grade audience could understand. We'll see!

Cheers! Thanks guys - you're the best!cool smiley

p.s. Haven't Keith's fingers looked messed up for years?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 23, 2012 01:41

memphiscats

Update: Well, we tried calling Jack's record label (I guess this would be only way to reach him.) We got a recording and entered an extension for a random employee - and my daughter left a heat-felt message asking if Jack would be willing to share his comments on analog/digital debate broken down into terms that an 8th grade audience could understand. We'll see!

I presume that was a heart-felt message, and not 'heat-felt'! eye popping smiley

Date: March 23, 2012 02:06

treaclefingers
memphiscats

I presume that was a heart-felt message, and not 'heat-felt'! eye popping smiley
LOLing! OOPS. Yup...heart-felt. You'd think I'd learn to proofread by now smoking smiley

Date: March 23, 2012 02:56

My only itentions are only to make things better, do or not do, that is a parents decision, but if this was one of my nephews.... I would be suggesting to them.....

Dont stop at one message. I dont know when the project is due..... but she should call everyday, making it more and more urgent with each heart felt call, always being very nice, never acting(or thinking) that Jack owes anything... while working on the project in the mean time.

I would suggest.... why the heck not call?.... and if nothing happens... she gave it her best effort... and on the final call, if nothing happened.... leave a kind, happy final message that she did the project on her own, and although it would have been nice to have an expert like Jack White adding input, she understands if he is too busy to help her out, thanks anyway... and if Jack ever wants to hear her take on analog versus digital, Jack can feel free to call YOU and the two of you might consider it... if you are not too busy. There was no failure, there was trying to make something where there was nothing..... do something... the effort can be its own reward... there is no possible "failure"... it just didnt work this time

And anytime somthing like this comes up again...
do it all again... and sooner or later "things will happen"...
the harder one works... the "luckier" one seems to be.

I firmly believe Jack must have some kind of packet or prefab presentation about this stuff which they love to send out.... it seems to be a corner stone of Jack White's record label.... analog music.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-23 03:04 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 23, 2012 03:01

firebird

What do you think sounds better, a CD or a (analog) gramophone from the year 1900?

Not really a fair comparison, as the microphone and recording medium in 1900 were very primitive compared to later. Better to compare stuff recorded in the 1960s when the recording technology was very, very good, to digital stuff recorded today. I think the analog sounds better.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home