Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: shine a light"stones crowning achievment"
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 21, 2012 04:56

Gazza
I'll give it another go, mate and try and get past the lead vocal - which I've been unable to do so far!

Just watched it again. I think Mick was just trying something new with the vocal interpretation is all, rather than phoning in his performance.

Gazza, what did you think of Ronnie on that one?

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:04

I like it. But I like most things Scorsese does - to marry his directing w/ the Stones is a match made in heaven. smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:53

Gazza
I'll give it another go, mate and try and get past the lead vocal - which I've been unable to do so far!

Another bellyaching old man/negative poster! smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-21 06:25 by 71Tele.

Date: March 21, 2012 05:54

vertigojoe
Very enjoyable in IMAX theatre, rubbish at home.

Exactly. As the moment flew by it was great. More than once though...and then having the soundtrack to it?

Next.

Date: March 21, 2012 05:56

Tumblin_Dice_07
I don't think the band played very well and alot of if seemed rather contrived.

You mean to tell me that when Marty squeaked about the set list that was...that wasn't... real?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 21, 2012 06:02

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Tumblin_Dice_07
I don't think the band played very well and alot of if seemed rather contrived.

You mean to tell me that when Marty squeaked about the set list that was...that wasn't... real?

Painfully fake attempt at "drama". Marty should just have had Joe Pesci come onstage and beat up one of the musicians. That would have been more in keeping with Scorsese.

Date: March 21, 2012 06:06

kowalski
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
backstreetboy1
thank god stones dans ears are working,and jaggers voice is awesome,seriously how many of you negative posters have watched this in theatre,or 5.1 surround?

They sound just as bad in stereo. Why don't you go listen to Exile or Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out?

Because they don't play She Was Hot or Some Girls on those records.

Imagine if they did.

Date: March 21, 2012 06:10

seitan
Shine Lights´worst moment was Micks nasal voice in "As Tears Go By" - the best moment was the song they did with Buddy Guy and Keith´s "You Got The Silver" - not bad, - it killed most of the eighties concert footage that I have seen.

Who was way out of time on Champagne And Reefer? The Stones or Buddy? Horrible regardless. Keith's songs are even worse. I would never play those songs for any friend of mine. Shine A Turd. Fail.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 21, 2012 06:17

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
backstreetboy1
thank god stones dans ears are working,and jaggers voice is awesome,seriously how many of you negative posters have watched this in theatre,or 5.1 surround?

They sound just as bad in stereo. Why don't you go listen to Exile or Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out?

Imagine if they did.

If I want to get a glimpse of the Stones touring in 1969 I listen to Get Yer Ya-ya's Out or watch Gimme Shelter. If I want to hear the Stones playing in 2006 I listen to Shine A Light soundtrack or watch the DVD of the same name. That was my point...

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 09:37

kowalski
backstreetboy1
i once again watched this evening,in 5.1 tru surround sound,(which is how scorcese,had it recorded for)and keiths playing,is loud,thunderous,and down right mean and nasty.so's ronnies.this is the stones at there absolute peak,micks performance is over the top,his vocals are soaring,charlie and the rest are near perfect.

I agree on this. This is the Stones at their best. I mean they want to show their best on these 2 nights concerts. Like if they were aware this may be the last time. Lots of great renditions of classics Stones songs too. Love Sympathy for the Devil version on the Shine A Light CD. Tight and straight to the point. Also Some Girls, Faraway Eyes, She Was Hot ... Really great record.

I've been a Stones fan since I was 10. I'm 52 now and just don't get the people who think the Stones performance in SAL sucks. I'm realistic enough to conceed that this is not a film of the Stones in the glory days of - say - '73, '78, etc. However, I think it shows the band in the era of advanced age still playing incredibly well and rocking out in fine form. Is the CD of it Ya Yas? No. But I maintain that it captures the Stones in their latter day era playing great with passion and energy. Is keith what he was in years past? No. But he's still damn good and puts across loads of heart and soul. His playing is much simpler here but it fits the music and it still moves me. Oh well, if people don't like it, they don't like it. I think it captures the Stones in their later days in a very good show. Personally, I think the film might have been more exciting if Scorcese had chosen to film one of the stadium spectacles on a good night.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 09:56

Good post stonesdan! I heartily agree!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 21, 2012 10:14

I don't think much of SAL.

Mick.. strides everywhere.. stride to the front... stride to the back... stride to the right... stride to the left... do the hunched shoulders pointy fingered Tina Turner thing... clumpy orthopedic shoes...

They've done much better.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 21, 2012 10:15

Rythm guitar is played OK by KR; the problem is his limited solo skills, which are worsening day by day.
MJ is terrible on faraway eyes, and the intro of SFTD is awful as well.
SAL has some nice moments, but it is very clear that guitar playing has worsened 100%.
At the same time RW is very low in the mix, at the end of SFTD he plays some exciting licks, but are almost audible.

Well, that's how the Stones were in 2007 i supposse.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 21, 2012 10:15

whitem8
Good post stonesdan! I heartily agree!

+1

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: March 21, 2012 10:31

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
seitan
Shine Lights´worst moment was Micks nasal voice in "As Tears Go By" - the best moment was the song they did with Buddy Guy and Keith´s "You Got The Silver" - not bad, - it killed most of the eighties concert footage that I have seen.

Who was way out of time on Champagne And Reefer? The Stones or Buddy? Horrible regardless. Keith's songs are even worse. I would never play those songs for any friend of mine. Shine A Turd. Fail.

You wouldn't play You Got The Silver? I would. Little T+A and Connection are crap, however.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 21, 2012 11:07

DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
seitan

You wouldn't play You Got The Silver? I would. Little T+A and Connection are crap, however.

I wholeheartedly disagree!!!

These are two gems.

C

Date: March 21, 2012 11:16

liddas
DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
seitan

These are two gems.

C

Connection and Little T+A.

Well, imo, the former goes nowhere, mainly because of Keith @#$%& up where the choruses and verses are, hence it's getting too repetetive. The latter is not guitar-based, and for me it hurts to listen to this treatment of one of my all time favorite songs.

You Got The Silver, however, is the real deal. Heartfelt, soulful and passionate - with warts and all.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 21, 2012 11:53

DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
seitan

These are two gems.

C

Well, imo, the former goes nowhere, mainly because of Keith @#$%& up where the choruses and verses are, hence it's getting too repetetive. The latter is not guitar-based, and for me it hurts to listen to this treatment of one of my all time favorite songs.

You Got The Silver, however, is the real deal. Heartfelt, soulful and passionate - with warts and all.

I would rather listen to Stones playing few bum notes and mistakes on stage,
then listen to slick, sterile, polished recordings with no energy at all.
few mistakes here and there wont hurt - cause this is rock n roll - not American Idol TV Show. People seem to miss that, when they critizise Shine A Light

Date: March 21, 2012 12:01

seitan
DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
seitan

These are two gems.

C

I would rather listen to Stones playing few bum notes and mistakes on stage,
then listen to slick, sterile, polished recordings with no energy at all.
few mistakes here and there wont hurt - cause this is rock n roll - not American Idol TV Show. People seem to miss that, when they critizise Shine A Light

I agree, but the main problem with, let's say Little T+A, is that it is polished to an unbelievable extent. I want to hear verses on Connection, too, not only choruses...

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 21, 2012 12:38

Little T&A has wonderful brass arrangmemt, buit it is ruined because of lack of guitar groove, and KR's vocals in these songs is very .................. on YGTS he remains quite soulful indeed

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 21, 2012 14:34

DandelionPowderman

The latter is not guitar-based, and for me it hurts to listen to this treatment of one of my all time favorite songs.

Ronnie loud and clear on the left channel. Wonderful swing. Great "big band" brass arrangement. OK, it is not the original. See it as a rearrangement, a different interpretation, not an attempt to recreate the Tattoo You version-

C

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 14:35

I showed to it my fiance who is not familair with a lot of Stones material. I was a bit embarressed at some of the playing. The Stones are my favorite band ...but in my opinion this was far from their greatest work. Listen to Far Away Eyes. Great that Mick & Keith shared the mic on one verse (nice to hear crowd of "models" recognize this)..but at one point keith is singing a completely different verse than Mick-if my musical terminology serves me right.
Generally speaking, as I recall, some of the guitar playing seemed very uninspiratioinal. Could be due to Keiths health at the time. Not sure..but even on his worst day...he is better than me. As I said years ago, Would love to see a week or more of shows at the Beacon, in addition to some MSG shows in 2013.

On the bright side ...I did enjoy the B&W bonus footage of Wild Horses (w/ Mick on harmonica) & Factory Girl.

Date: March 21, 2012 14:41

liddas
DandelionPowderman

The latter is not guitar-based, and for me it hurts to listen to this treatment of one of my all time favorite songs.

Ronnie loud and clear on the left channel. Wonderful swing. Great "big band" brass arrangement. OK, it is not the original. See it as a rearrangement, a different interpretation, not an attempt to recreate the Tattoo You version-

C

It is not Ronnie who is supposed to be loud and clear on that song, except for the licks. That's one of the problems I have with this version. Keith is on from the beginning, but after a few bars he just leaves the song, letting the piano and the brass section cover for him. I like this when they play the soul numbers, but hey, this is Little T+A!

I'm a little baffled by his vocals, too. I like Keith's vocals, and he really could have nailed this one, but he clowns it out the window, imo.

That said, I think there are many good tracks on SAL. Imagination, She Was Hot, All Down The Line, You Got The Silver and Shattered come to mind.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 21, 2012 15:06

GravityBoy

Mick.. strides everywhere.. stride to the front... stride to the back... stride to the right... stride to the left... do the hunched shoulders pointy fingered Tina Turner thing... clumpy orthopedic shoes...

clumpy orthopedic shoes? very low blow! I did laff though so that really does't say much for myself either.

Date: March 21, 2012 15:30

treaclefingers
GravityBoy

clumpy orthopedic shoes? very low blow! I did laff though so that really does't say much for myself either.

Martin Scorcese should not have allowed the Stones to be filmed down to their feet.

Yes, ok, they are old men now, but we can get used to their Halloween mask faces...there is character there after all. And what Expression! The monoliths on Easter Island can't compete with Keith here. They just don't have the same soul despite how "rock solid" they may be.

But to show their old men feet at the bottom of their old men bodies just ruins the film. They look like Ronald McDonald up there!

I mean COME ON ALREADY!!!!

Did Martin Scorcese show all the "bell bottoms" of the icons at The Last Waltz??? - A band that actually did go out in a "blaze of glory" - thanks in no small measure to Martin Scorcese?

No. He didn't. Only in far away shots of the stage, do you see all these bell bottoms.

No sound system on earth can correct this terrible flaw!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 21, 2012 15:42

SweetThing
treaclefingers
GravityBoy

Martin Scorcese should not have allowed the Stones to be filmed down to their feet.

Yes, ok, they are old men now, but we can get used to their Halloween mask faces...there is character there after all. And what Expression! The monoliths on Easter Island can't compete with Keith here. They just don't have the same soul despite how "rock solid" they may be.

But to show their old men feet at the bottom of their old men bodies just ruins the film. They look like Ronald McDonald up there!

Did Martin Scorcese show all the "bell bottoms" of the icons at The Last Waltz??? - A band that actually did go out in a "blaze of glory" - thanks in no small measure to Martin Scorcese?

No. He didn't. Only in far away shots of the stage, do you see all these bell bottoms.

Sweet Thing...you sound all 'coked up'.

Date: March 21, 2012 16:04

treaclefingers
SweetThing
treaclefingers
GravityBoy

Sweet Thing...you sound all 'coked up'.

Freddie Sessler is right next to me. He just scored a 36 Pepsi value pack from Walmart is all...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 21, 2012 16:05

All in all as a Stones in 2006 it's not so bad to me.
In fact some songs like She was hot, All down the line, F. Eyes, You got the silver and even some warhorses (Start me up, even Satisfaction . .) are quite good.
The main big problem to me is Keith' playin on this and for some years already. Some days I really can't stand his noodlings anymore . .

Date: March 22, 2012 00:13

kowalski
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
backstreetboy1

Imagine if they did.

If I want to get a glimpse of the Stones touring in 1969 I listen to Get Yer Ya-ya's Out or watch Gimme Shelter. If I want to hear the Stones playing in 2006 I listen to Shine A Light soundtrack or watch the DVD of the same name. That was my point...

Oh.

For some reason She Was Hot is tepid at best. They didn't do a faithfull rendition of that song (although nowhere near as murderous as what they did to Sway).

Date: March 22, 2012 00:15

DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
seitan

OK so You Got The Silver is the best of Keith's but it's got nothing on what's on Live Licks or No Security. Too bad he sings it like he's talking to a kid with that 'told ya so' voice.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home