Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: shine a light"stones crowning achievment"
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 22, 2012 01:00

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski

If I want to get a glimpse of the Stones touring in 1969 I listen to Get Yer Ya-ya's Out or watch Gimme Shelter. If I want to hear the Stones playing in 2006 I listen to Shine A Light soundtrack or watch the DVD of the same name. That was my point...

Oh.

For some reason She Was Hot is tepid at best. They didn't do a faithfull rendition of that song (although nowhere near as murderous as what they did to Sway).

Why should they do a faithful rendition of the song ? They recreated it for playing it on stage, as they always do for any song. And I think this version works pretty well.
By the way I also like Sympathy for the Devil and Start Me Up renditions on SAL soundtrack. I'm Free is not bad neither.
To my mind the only thing that could be criticized is the fact that everything is set up for cameras and because of this the whole concert doesn't look that natural. But at the same time everyone is very focused on what he has to do and trying to give his best. To me that's what makes the price of SAL.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: March 22, 2012 01:07

"...clumpy orthopedic shoes..." ?

I don't think so. Try: custom-made split-sole jazz dance shoes.

Date: March 22, 2012 01:21

kowalski
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski

If I want to get a glimpse of the Stones touring in 1969 I listen to Get Yer Ya-ya's Out or watch Gimme Shelter. If I want to hear the Stones playing in 2006 I listen to Shine A Light soundtrack or watch the DVD of the same name. That was my point...

Oh.

For some reason She Was Hot is tepid at best. They didn't do a faithfull rendition of that song (although nowhere near as murderous as what they did to Sway).

Why should they do a faithful rendition of the song ? They recreated it for playing it on stage, as they always do for any song. And I think this version works pretty well.
By the way I also like Sympathy for the Devil and Start Me Up renditions on SAL soundtrack. I'm Free is not bad neither.
To my mind the only thing that could be criticized is the fact that everything is set up for cameras and because of this the whole concert doesn't look that natural. But at the same time everyone is very focused on what he has to do and trying to give his best. To me that's what makes the price of SAL.

They've done what I would consider 'faithful' and 'good' renditions of other rather obscure songs - Monkey Man comes to mind. Why couldn't they play She Was Hot worth a shit? Charlie plays it pretty damn good. Keith does his 'three note noodle' lead line in it when he's not laying out Fender farts, Mick hurries the lyrics and talk-sings half of 'em.

SFTD blows. The only good thing I can recall going on in it is Ronnie.

It blew my mind when I heard it. It was a cheap thrill to find out they were playing it on tour, same with Sway, but upon hearing/listening to them... it was disappointing.

Some Girls is probably the best track on the album.

Date: March 22, 2012 01:46

We definitely can't agree. smiling smiley I love this version of Sympathy. But thank you, you made me listen to it again. It's straightforward and stripped down, but also a bit funky thanks to Darryl Jones bass play. Love when guitars start to play together and then when Keith takes his first solo. It's not pretty , kind of teared to pieces but that's Keith playing, no mistake.

Some Girls is really good too.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 22, 2012 01:47

CousinC
All in all as a Stones in 2006 it's not so bad to me.
In fact some songs like She was hot, All down the line, F. Eyes, You got the silver and even some warhorses (Start me up, even Satisfaction . .) are quite good.
The main big problem to me is Keith' playin on this and for some years already. Some days I really can't stand his noodlings anymore . .

Keith's playing is totally illogical...

Date: March 22, 2012 02:02

kowalski
We definitely can't agree. smiling smiley

Ha ha! Yeah well...so what! It doesn't matter.

I do recall SFTD having some moments to it that were good but that's what's wrong with it, it just doesn't hold up. But whatever. We're talking about a live album that not many people bought so it's not some classic album in any historical sense. Nor will it ever be.

Date: March 22, 2012 02:11

Not a classic album but better than Live Licks or No Security.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 22, 2012 02:15

SweetThing
Gazza
I'll give it another go, mate and try and get past the lead vocal - which I've been unable to do so far!

Just watched it again. I think Mick was just trying something new with the vocal interpretation is all, rather than phoning in his performance.

Gazza, what did you think of Ronnie on that one?

Pretty nice if a little overplayed, but f*** me, that lead vocal is worse than I even thought it was. Damn you for making me sit through that again just to give you an answer. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out It was about as pleasant as having weights tied to my scrotum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-22 02:16 by Gazza.

Posted by: pinksuit ()
Date: March 22, 2012 02:30

Just to add some to this "incredible" discussion (thank you stonesdan and gazza, great comments): Personally my favorite moments of the film are "We don't want to burn Mick Jagger!" by Scorsese, the puffing of Charlie after All Down the Line, how scared Jack White looks -how do you put that in English- hm star struck and then all of a sudden Buddy Guy! His energy and everything. Still I saw it several times in theatres and liked the sound mix of the movie and how it concentrated on the guy the camera focussed on. On CD, however, I think it is terrible.

Generally I'd say, they are old, it has great lighting and pictures and it is a nice document of the latter days Stones.

I enjoyed it as a fa boy, my girlfriend fel asleep in the cinema

Date: March 22, 2012 02:58

Gazza
SweetThing
Gazza
I'll give it another go, mate and try and get past the lead vocal - which I've been unable to do so far!

Just watched it again. I think Mick was just trying something new with the vocal interpretation is all, rather than phoning in his performance.

Pretty nice if a little overplayed, but f*** me, that lead vocal is worse than I even thought it was. Damn you for making me sit through that again just to give you an answer. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out It was about as pleasant as having weights tied to my scrotum.

The weaving has stopped!!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 22, 2012 02:59

Crackpipe thread!

Date: March 22, 2012 04:44

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not posting on a Beatles board... eye rolling smiley

Date: March 22, 2012 04:56

kowalski
Not a classic album but better than Live Licks or No Security.

Oh wow. You just brickwalled yerself.

Date: March 22, 2012 04:58

kowalski

Did The Beatles ever do a tour that sounded as poor as A Bigger Bang did?

Date: March 22, 2012 05:07

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski

Have to stop the discussion here. Just realized we're not talking about the same band.

Date: March 22, 2012 05:09

kowalski
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski

Have to stop the discussion here. Just realized we're not talking about the same band.

Ha ha. There's probably more than the same band involved.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 22, 2012 05:10

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski

Man,you really are a huge dick aren't you Skip?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 22, 2012 05:11

SweetThing
Gazza
SweetThing
Gazza

Hailing frequencies open to Bill Wyman, sir.

Date: March 22, 2012 05:22

sweetcharmedlife
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski

Man,you really are a huge dick aren't you Skip?

A simple comment about the Beatles never sounding as bad as the Stones did on their Bang tour, something beyond absurd to begin with, is...just a comment about the Beatles never sounding that bad and that makes me a big dick because Kowalski commented wondering if this is a Beatles board, an obvious statement about how some people hear good and bad Stones yet aren't blinded by being a Stones fan? I was under the impression that what Kowalski meant was the band he's talking about is a different band than anything prior. Yet somehow what he hears is better than when the Stones were better, which is a book in itself - and not only about Kowalski.

Eh, whatever.

Date: March 22, 2012 05:43

tomk
SweetThing
Gazza
SweetThing
Gazza

Hailing frequencies open to Bill Wyman, sir.

Mick is blowing up my phone. I think they're getting desperate

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 22, 2012 05:44

Well in fact The Beatles last two tours weren't sounding too great. By their own admission. They were so disenchanted with how they were sounding and the reaction of the crowd, that they stopped touring!

Date: March 22, 2012 05:46

whitem8
Well in fact The Beatles last two tours weren't sounding too great. By their own admission. They were so disenchanted with how they were sounding and the reaction of the crowd, that they stopped touring!

Had they grown out of, as Meekscary likes to say it, their boy-bandness? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 22, 2012 10:10

Just for the hell of it, I Googled reviews for SAL and the vast majority raved about it. Sure, I know nobody gives a damn about reviews unless they agree with them, but clearly there are more than a few of us who think this is a great live album....

[www.popmatters.com]

The Rolling Stones: Shine a Light: Original Soundtrack

By Ron Hart 12 May 2008

.....And though 2006’s Live Licks collection certainly had its moments, Shine a Light literally trumps every Stones live album that has ever come out, with the possible exception of Love You Live. While many of the standard crowd favorites are present and accounted for (“Jumpin’ Jack Flash”, “Tumbling Dice”, “Brown Sugar”, “Start Me Up” and “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” all return for the bajillionth time on a Stones live release), they are all played with a sense of urgency that absolutely smokes any other version you might have heard on a lesser concert LP. Especially “Satisfaction”, which here comes off with the same ferocity the band brought to it in 1965. As far as deep ‘60s cuts go, they bring out Christina Aguilera to vamp up the Let It Bleed rocker “Live With Me”, which is great if you never thought you would hear a pop princess belt out lines like “My best friend he shoots water rats” with a straight face. Jagger shows off his reflective side on an absolutely lovely rendition of “As Tears Go By”, and they even take a trip back into their swingin’ London days by literally stealing back “I’m Free” from the Soupdragons once and for all with a jubilant spin of their Out of Our Heads closing anthem.

And if you want the Stones at their blues-drenched best, look no further than their ferocious rendition of longtime hero Muddy Waters’s “Champagne and Reefer” with special guest Buddy Guy, who takes the sixtysomething-year-old Keith Richards back to school with a headcutting guitar session for the ages. In turn, Keef then proceeds to hold class for Jack White, who opted to keep rhythm on an acoustic guitar during his cameo on “Loving Cup” and let the master do what he does best.

But what makes the performances showcased in Shine a Light such a treat for longtime Stones fans is the inclusion of a few choice nuggets from their late ‘70s output, some of which they hardly ever perform in concert. Anyone who grew up on the sounds of Some Girls and Tattoo You will be absolutely thrilled by the set list here, as tracks like “Shattered”, “Just My Imagination (Running Away from Me)” and “Little T & A” are all prominently featured here. There’s even a run through their 1983 Undercover hit “She Was Hot”. And sure, you can make the case against Jagger’s omission of his little quip about black girls during the Stones’ incredible rendition of “Some Girls” here, but be grateful for the fact they played the title track to their defiant 1978 masterpiece at all, which is then juxtaposed by a wonderfully theatric performance of that album’s country gem “Faraway Eyes”, which is almost never played out live by the band.

As a longtime fan and collector of live Stones stuff, I personally feel that Shine a Light deserves a pivotal place in your listening rotation, especially if you are in search of a quality recent show. For guys in their sixties, Jagger, Richards, Ronnie Woods, and Charlie Watts still play with the sheer force of men half their age. Here’s hoping they all stay fit and healthy enough to keep rocking out this strongly into their seventies (and definitely not sucking, as their notorious 1981 studio compilation implies).

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 22, 2012 10:28

Slim Harpo
"...clumpy orthopedic shoes..." ?

I don't think so. Try: custom-made split-sole jazz dance shoes.

Whatever you want to call them.

I'll call them clumpy orthopedic.

Not very elegant and gives the impression of stomping around as he's strides back and forwards, left and right.. I was getting motion sickness just watching him.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 22, 2012 10:29

Sorry about the big picture!!! Didn't realise until I posted it. You can clearly see the orthopedic footwear though.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: March 22, 2012 20:46

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
backstreetboy1
i must admit,when i read an article like patrick o doyles in rs magazine last week,i really wonder if these fools even watch the things they talk about.in this instance the comment he makes about many fans thought keiths playing was inaudible on the shine a light concert dvd.maybe thats what he,or some deaf fans think,i once again watched this evening,in 5.1 tru surround sound,(which is how scorcese,had it recorded for)and keiths playing,is loud,thunderous,and down right mean and nasty.so's ronnies.this is the stones at there absolute peak,micks performance is over the top,his vocals are soaring,charlie and the rest are near perfect.i have listened to every other stone dvd recently,all the dvd'ss on 40 licks,and bigger bang,concert fro st louis in 97,miami 94,steel wheels 89 etc.the playing and the recording of this kills them all,am i the only one that hears this.

You didn't say what peak. The peak of being a band that ignored anything post-1983 and snoozed through that one as it was? There are a few others peaks out there, none of which have anything to do with what you said. You are correct in one aspect - the mix for Shine A Light is outstanding. Too bad the playing isn't.

You are, seemingly, the only one that hears what you hear.

Maybe you should try using a set of headphones! I suggest BOSE.

Date: March 22, 2012 20:49

backstreetboy1
i must admit,when i read an article like patrick o doyles in rs magazine last week,i really wonder if these fools even watch the things they talk about.in this instance the comment he makes about many fans thought keiths playing was inaudible on the shine a light concert dvd.maybe thats what he,or some deaf fans think,i once again watched this evening,in 5.1 tru surround sound,(which is how scorcese,had it recorded for)and keiths playing,is loud,thunderous,and down right mean and nasty.so's ronnies.this is the stones at there absolute peak,micks performance is over the top,his vocals are soaring,charlie and the rest are near perfect.i have listened to every other stone dvd recently,all the dvd'ss on 40 licks,and bigger bang,concert fro st louis in 97,miami 94,steel wheels 89 etc.the playing and the recording of this kills them all,am i the only one that hears this.

thumbs up Absolutely agree with you, although I love the three concerts on the Four Flicks DVD.

Date: March 22, 2012 20:56

71Tele
SweetThing
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
I thought the girls in the first few rows were the hottest I've ever seen.

Let's start with the positives.

"hottest" "girls" = always a good thing

I would normally heartily agree, but in the context of the Beacon shows it was contrived and somewhat bizarre. These seats could have been used by actual Rolling Stones fans instead of movie extras.

Well, however we look at it, I am sure we can all agree in the end, what a terribly lost opportunity this was to introduce The Sons of The Beatles into the film. Putting The Sons of The Beatles into the first row would've kicked open the door to their involvement with the Stones'50th Anniversary that will now take place sometime in 2013!

Damn, you're right. Where's the Watchman?

smoking smiley

Date: March 22, 2012 21:47

kowalski
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski

Oh.

Excellent comments.

Date: March 22, 2012 22:01

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kowalski

I think ABB had about 144 concerts. How many of these 144 concerts did you attend?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home