Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New documentary
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:34

From the Stones' Facebook page:

In celebration of their 50th anniversary the Rolling Stones are pleased to announce a groundbreaking and eye-opening documentary, featuring remarkable revelations from the world’s most legendary band. This is the first film to ever trace the evolution of the Rolling Stones’ from 1962, making it the ultimate Stones experience. The film will be showcased in September as part of the Rolling Stones 50th anniversary celebrations.

The film is a cinematic journey through the incredible eye of director Brett Morgen, capturing hours of never-before-seen footage in a rare, uncensored format that reveals the band’s vivid stories told through their eyes and their voices. With paramount access to the band and their materials retrieved from vaults and personal archives, Morgen captures astonishing new interviews and footage. “For anyone who wants to experience the band, this is the film that will defy convention and create a sonic tapestry to transport viewers into the world of the Rolling Stones,” says Morgen, an Academy Award nominee who is known for esteemed work on The Kid Stays in the Picture among many other projects, “The film will deliver the original, bold, sexy and dangerous flavor of the iconic rock band.”

Fans go on the road, in the studio, behind the scenes, and witness each band member’s personal, unfiltered perspective on the legendary life of the Rolling Stones – embarking on a journey through 50 years of sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

The film is executive produced by the Rolling Stones, produced by Victoria Pearman, co-produced by Morgan Neville and directed by Brett Morgen. The film will be released through Eagle Rock Entertainment.

Also here:
[www.rollingstones.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 23:36 by Deltics.

Re: New documentary
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:42

Deltics
From the Stones' Facebook page:
The film will be showcased in September as part of the Rolling Stones 50th anniversary celebrations.

Wouldn't that be the bands 49th anniversary celebrations?
They need to get their story straight. The congratulatory beer has gone in and out of the fridge 4 times already....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:45

What about the excellent "Let It Bleed" documentary ?
Will be hard to beat this one...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:45

I hope the documentary is honest, but fair towards Brian. Hopefully Keith off loaded most of his bitter crap in his book saving the mature introspective stuff for this documentary. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 23:01 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:51

Except of course Brian, who will never be able to tell his story. Anita could contribute greatly to this. I'm tired of him not being recognized as a blues innovator and totally authentic. No one from his family ever comes forward with any perspective on him. Poor, lost Brian. How about the blues lion he was who came crashing out of the gate and got the Stones on the map? Everbody knows how his story ended. Let's get some back story.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:55

shortfatfanny
What about the excellent "Let It Bleed" documentary ?
Will be hard to beat this one...

Agreed but wanna see this one at least for "...hours of never-before-seen footage in a rare, uncensored format ..."

So the info that we have got here in France last week about a new documentary is confirmed now cool !Thanks Alan thumbs up

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 22:55 by Honestman.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 14, 2012 23:04

The Kid Stays In The Picture, based on Robert Evans' book is a terrific film, so my hopes are up for this.

So will this movie be "it" for the 50th anniversary?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 14, 2012 23:05

Some strong reviews out there for Morgen's work on the Robert Evans docuemntary, The Kid Stays In The Picture. A strong 92% rating on rottentomatoes.com for that project and another 92% for "On the Ropes" the documentary he was nominated for an Oscar for.

Good write up on The Kid Stays In The Picture:

[www.hackwriters.com]

Filmmakers Brett Morgen and Nanette Burstein have achieved something rare in the film world- a documentary that both pushes the genre’s boundaries yet achieves what all but the very best documentaries achieve- insight into its subject matter. Evans is a man who is both a starmaker and starstruck fan, barren chaff yet sage insider. He is truthful- to a degree, arrogant, yet self-deprecating- a refreshing turn from many self-satisfied and dishonest documentaries. This film was clearly worlds better than Bowling For Columbine- the doc that won the Oscar that year, yet the reason for its not winning, nor even being nominated, is obvious- aside from the fact Evans made many enemies in Hollywood. Most viewers will forget it is a documentary while it’s being watched. So effectively subversive are Morgan and Burstein in their technique that it works against them in terms of recognition. Yet, this film, not Columbine, will be studied in film school.

So far it looks like the Stones' story is in good hands.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: March 15, 2012 01:02

I hope it is long enough (as in, at least as long as the Beatles Anthology). I also hope it isn't overly weighted towards the early period (Anthology suffered from this and it only covered 10 years!).

It will probably not satisfy me on both these counts, but it will be nice to have something.

Date: March 15, 2012 03:53

From someone who shall remain nameless unless they wish to step forward. grinning smiley

"My friend who is working on this said it's only going to be 90 minutes and is a piece of junk."

hot smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 15, 2012 04:11

Justin
Some strong reviews out there for Morgen's work on the Robert Evans docuemntary, The Kid Stays In The Picture. A strong 92% rating on rottentomatoes.com for that project and another 92% for "On the Ropes" the documentary he was nominated for an Oscar for.

Good write up on The Kid Stays In The Picture:

[www.hackwriters.com]

Filmmakers Brett Morgen and Nanette Burstein have achieved something rare in the film world- a documentary that both pushes the genre’s boundaries yet achieves what all but the very best documentaries achieve- insight into its subject matter. Evans is a man who is both a starmaker and starstruck fan, barren chaff yet sage insider. He is truthful- to a degree, arrogant, yet self-deprecating- a refreshing turn from many self-satisfied and dishonest documentaries. This film was clearly worlds better than Bowling For Columbine- the doc that won the Oscar that year, yet the reason for its not winning, nor even being nominated, is obvious- aside from the fact Evans made many enemies in Hollywood. Most viewers will forget it is a documentary while it’s being watched. So effectively subversive are Morgan and Burstein in their technique that it works against them in terms of recognition. Yet, this film, not Columbine, will be studied in film school.

So far it looks like the Stones' story is in good hands.

And if we are really lucky they will do a show called "Kids Notorious"... kind of like one they made after the above movie [www.youtube.com] .... except it would feaure the antics of the early Stones... peeing on walls, recording at Nellcote, partying with the PMs wife, sniffling at Studio 54, talking heroin with the President..... it could be hilarious...

Date: March 15, 2012 04:39

His Majesty
From someone who shall remain nameless unless they wish to step forward. grinning smiley

"My friend who is working on this said it's only going to be 90 minutes and is a piece of junk."

hot smiley

It being 90 minutes isn't a huge deal but did your friend have anything to say about why it was junk?

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 15, 2012 04:43

loog droog
The Kid Stays In The Picture, based on Robert Evans' book is a terrific film, so my hopes are up for this.

quote]
Agree - I loved The Kid Stays in the Picture. GREAT choice of director/filmmaker for the Stones docu.smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 15, 2012 05:12

Actual Stones news! (as opposed to more meaningless tour specualtion). How refreshing. Thank you.

Date: March 15, 2012 05:45

Justin
His Majesty

hot smiley

It being 90 minutes isn't a huge deal but did your friend have anything to say about why it was junk?

Nothing more.

90 minutes to cover 50 years!? confused smiley

Date: March 15, 2012 05:57

His Majesty
Justin
His Majesty

hot smiley

Nothing more.

Well really, what's there to talk about from the last 23 years? The only significant detail pertaining to the band's history would be Keith's fall--but even that's not really crucial to the band timeline . The documentary will no doubt focus on their beginnings and end around '89 coming back after the "World War III" fallout. The last 23 years can be summed up in basically 5 minutes: a the band released a couple albums and they toured extensively while shattering their own records with each following tour....fireworks, final bowls...Done.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: March 15, 2012 08:05

Justin

Well really, what's there to talk about from the last 23 years? The only significant detail pertaining to the band's history would be Keith's fall--but even that's not really crucial to the band timeline . The documentary will no doubt focus on their beginnings and end around '89 coming back after the "World War III" fallout. The last 23 years can be summed up in basically 5 minutes: a the band released a couple albums and they toured extensively while shattering their own records with each following tour....fireworks, final bowls...Done.

Personally, I'm most interested in the last 23 years, and I'd be happy if the documentary covered the latter part of their career, since the beginning has been covered several times already. In fact, if it's only going to be 90 minutes, I suggest they prioritize and focus on Voodoo Lounge exclusively. cool smiley

Actually, I'm serious. Let it Bleed is excellent, and it is a better album, but it doesn't have quite the effect on me since I wasn't around.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 15, 2012 08:59

Sipuncula
Personally, I'm most interested in the last 23 years, and I'd be happy if the documentary covered the latter part of their career, since the beginning has been covered several times already. In fact, if it's only going to be 90 minutes, I suggest they prioritize and focus on Voodoo Lounge exclusively. cool smiley

Actually, I'm serious. Let it Bleed is excellent, and it is a better album, but it doesn't have quite the effect on me since I wasn't around.

It's really hard for me to think of Voodoo Lounge as being old, but it is 18. It was an interesting time where I think Bill's departure left them vulnerable. That led them to basically repeat themselves on the Voodoo Lounge album. And Bridge to Bablyon put them back in territory where Mick & Keith didn't seem to be collaborating, and Mick's attempts at modernization were resented by Keith. But it was the road that proved their salvation, as constant touring for the album led to their most artistically satisfying tour of the Post-Wyman era, the No Security Tour. The No Licks Tour was a Greatest Hits period that saw the band lose some steam as age began to creep in around the edges. Then, making arguably the most satisfying Post-Wyman album, A Bigger Bang, they had their biggest tour ever, playing to millions, but there were whispers that Keith was off his game after falling out of a tree. Then they basically retired but came back to sell some stuff. Oh yeah, Charlie got cancer and lived. Mick knocked up a super model. Ronnie went nuts and dated a Russian teen. Keith wrote an interesting but in the end sour book that tried and failed to reduce Mick Jagger's status. There, tack it onto the end of 25 X 5 and we're on our way.

The Rolling Stones Announce A Documentary For 50th
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:14

[www.rollingstones.com]

*Apologies if this announcement is already here somewhere*smoking smiley

<<<The film is executive produced by the Rolling Stones, produced by Victoria Pearman, co-produced by Morgan Neville and directed by Brett Morgen. The film will be released through Eagle Rock Entertainment.>>>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 22:18 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 15, 2012 13:04

Hours of footage it says. Yeah right.

If any group deserves a 'Beatles Anthology' type retrospective it's the Stones. Or the Scorsese Dylan style thing.

Meanwhile what of Depps Keith Doco?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 15, 2012 13:16

So the info that we have got here in France last week about a new documentary is confirmed now cool !Thanks Alan thumbs up[/quote]

Yep !

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 15, 2012 16:21

His Majesty
Justin
His Majesty

hot smiley

Nothing more.

I will put on my investigator's hat and see if I can get some more tidbits about the film to post here. smoking smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 15, 2012 16:28

Justin
His Majesty

hot smiley

I think the nameless forwardless person was saying its 90 minutes of Keith 'on' junk. Just a misunderstanding.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 15, 2012 16:37

May be they used all the material that Mick shot on his camera all these years? He is always with a camera in his hands

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 15, 2012 17:00

proudmary
May be they used all the material that Mick shot on his camera all these years? He is always with a camera in his hands

Maybe he carries it as potential defense evidence in case he's hit with a baseless lawsuit about sexual harassment, etc.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 15, 2012 17:03

Do we need another documentary or another book? And is it a good idea that the Stones does a documentary about themselves. Shouldn't documentaries be made by an independent part? Isn't this just another business scheme? Nowadays Stones produces more "books" and documentaries than actual recordings or concerts.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 15, 2012 18:00

Sipuncula
Justin

Hmmm....25 X 5 did a pretty good job of covering the start up to Steel Wheels. I wouldn't mind a documentary that covers the latter years.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 15, 2012 18:06

loog droog
proudmary

Maybe he carries it as potential defense evidence in case he's hit with a baseless lawsuit about sexual harassment, etc.

It is a possibility. He shot back in 72 - remember that scene in @#$%& Blues where he films the mirrored ceiling while he plays with himself? Maybe he has a lot of such material, it would be interesting to see- for a variety of it, it's better than some talking heads

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 15, 2012 18:40

His Majesty
I hope the documentary is honest, but fair towards Brian. Hopefully Keith off loaded most of his bitter crap in his book saving the mature introspective stuff for this documentary. grinning smiley

>grinning smiley<

Date: March 15, 2012 18:51

Fans will have to accept that this documentary won't be combing through every tedious detail of their career from 1962 to 2012. 25x5 is out of print so at this point, there is no real document currently available to cover the first half of their career. Besides Keith and Charlie's medical scares, there isn't anything post 1989 worth elaborating on besides just a few lines.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home