Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415
Current Page: 15 of 15
Re: Keith? No - Gram was obsessed with Mick
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 6, 2012 00:23

memphiscats
His Majesty
swiss

That's why I say it's brave. I don't mean Robin Hood brave. But the task of telling the story of your life...we can rely on anecdotes, or we can rely on facts and "history," or we can attempt to take the messy nonlinear pile of meandering stuff that is our life and make it one neat narrative, OR we can accept the ambiguities and contradictions and ugliness and beauty and certainty and uncertainty---and allow it to appear thus on the page. That's what LIFE is. It is not pretty. And it is not tidy. And it hits vexingly discordant notes. And it can be excruciating when he busts his own myths-- ruthlessly, in not making himself out to be a sterling guy (and sometimes he does that with intention, and other times he seems completely unconscious of how despicably he's coming off). And at times he is someone you admire. Who is sterling and true-blue. But it doesn't make him look like other than the all-over-the place guy he is. Which includes---as it would for all of us---apparent contradictions in how he sees himself and what he want to say to the public about that. Or put another way, multiple views of the same "reality."

-swiss

They should add this as a lil forward to the book.

thumbs up
Ditto. Swiss, your prose is lovely!

Pity this is not the case for Fox-Richards prose.
The real issue is that behind all the masks - a pirate. tough guy, bluesman, guardian spirit of the Stones, etc, we do not see real person, Keith Richards. Nobody at home. We do not know his real fears and joys, he does not write about anything that does not fit well with certain image of himself that he creates. He hides behind the Stones' history and cheap anecdotes
I even think that all this contempt for Jagger is also pose, another mask that he wears because thinks this is something that a public wants.
Pete Townshend said it best “The point is, when we read Keith Richards’s book, are we really reading who he is? James Fox [Richards’s ghost] is a brilliant writer. I think it’s sad that we will only remember Keith’s book because of what he said about the size of Mick’s genitals."
But certainly any perception is an individual thing. Where swiss sees "all-over-the place guy" I see petty and jealous old man.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: April 6, 2012 00:50

Some who read Eric Clapton's autobiography didn't care for it. I liked it. In some parts he came across as a grade A jerk, but he took responsibility. He put Patti Boyd Harrison and Alice Orsmby Gore through the ringer. He seems very proud to be over 20 years sober...gave up cigarettes and everything. It's not everyone's cup of tea...no groupie stories, etc....just personal and professional struggles and highlights.

Keith is Keith. He gives the people what they want.... and I'm sure the multimillion dollar paycheck didn't hurt either.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 6, 2012 03:32

Some good discussion of Keith's book in here, thanks, all, especially Swiss.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 6, 2012 08:22

I agree that Swiss's comments are certainly nice fruits on this otherwise erratic tree - you never know what great nuggets a thread - any thread - will produce - I'm glad this thread lasted long enough for those to evolve - thanks for the trenchant thoughts, Swiss

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 6, 2012 13:17

proudmary
The real issue is that behind all the masks - a pirate. tough guy, bluesman, guardian spirit of the Stones, etc, we do not see real person, Keith Richards. Nobody at home. We do not know his real fears and joys, he does not write about anything that does not fit well with certain image of himself that he creates. He hides behind the Stones' history and cheap anecdotes
I even think that all this contempt for Jagger is also pose, another mask that he wears because thinks this is something that a public wants.
Pete Townshend said it best “The point is, when we read Keith Richards’s book, are we really reading who he is? James Fox [Richards’s ghost] is a brilliant writer. I think it’s sad that we will only remember Keith’s book because of what he said about the size of Mick’s genitals."
But certainly any perception is an individual thing. Where swiss sees "all-over-the place guy" I see petty and jealous old man.

proudmary, I see a petty and jealous man, at times, too. That's definitely in there. But so, too, undeniably, are parts that do convey "his real fears and joys." I'm curious -- not everyone has read Life -- have you?

-swiss

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 6, 2012 13:22

hbwriter - you certainly launched another extremely lively thread that inspired many people to think and write - I'm glad to have been a part of it!

mr_dja and Green Lady -- hello! great to be back and to "see" you again smiling smiley

Thanks for your kind comments memphiscats, Naturalust, 71Tele, and angee. I enjoy all of your posts.

-swiss

Date: April 6, 2012 14:16

swiss
proudmary

proudmary, I see a petty and jealous man, at times, too. That's definitely in there. But so, too, undeniably, are parts that do convey "his real fears and joys." I'm curious -- not everyone has read Life -- have you?

-swiss

If one thing is certainin this world, it would be that proudmary has read Life winking smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 6, 2012 14:39

proudmary
memphiscats
His Majesty
swiss

That's why I say it's brave. I don't mean Robin Hood brave. But the task of telling the story of your life...we can rely on anecdotes, or we can rely on facts and "history," or we can attempt to take the messy nonlinear pile of meandering stuff that is our life and make it one neat narrative, OR we can accept the ambiguities and contradictions and ugliness and beauty and certainty and uncertainty---and allow it to appear thus on the page. That's what LIFE is. It is not pretty. And it is not tidy. And it hits vexingly discordant notes. And it can be excruciating when he busts his own myths-- ruthlessly, in not making himself out to be a sterling guy (and sometimes he does that with intention, and other times he seems completely unconscious of how despicably he's coming off). And at times he is someone you admire. Who is sterling and true-blue. But it doesn't make him look like other than the all-over-the place guy he is. Which includes---as it would for all of us---apparent contradictions in how he sees himself and what he want to say to the public about that. Or put another way, multiple views of the same "reality."

-swiss

They should add this as a lil forward to the book.

thumbs up
Ditto. Swiss, your prose is lovely!

Pity this is not the case for Fox-Richards prose.

What I see is an interview subject who was most likely drinking through most of the interviews, and an editor who spitefully manipulated the material to suit his own agenda, a vendetta against Mick.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 04:16

Stanley Booth is interviewed in the May, 2012 UNCUT (in relation to the reissue of his Stones book) and he says the following:

UNCUT: "Did your book change your life?"

BOOTH: "It kept me poor. Why? Beats the hell out of me! It was only popular in England. It sold about 40 copies in the States. I felt like Gram Parsons."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415
Current Page: 15 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1952
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home