Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15
Re: Keith? No - Gram was obsessed with Mick
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 14, 2012 20:34

Well said, 71Tele!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 14, 2012 20:38

GumbootCloggeroo
Well said, 71Tele!

Thanks Gumboot.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 14, 2012 20:38

Rockman

...................................................................................... Beautiful cat

Beautiful cat ?
Not even close IMO.
I dislike his face on the pics above ...shallowmarsmarllow ....
not my kind of men .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 14, 2012 21:08

71Tele
Sigh...why does everything have to be all or nothing here? Where is nuance? These things are rarely black & white. Gram was neither a genius nor a worthless idiot. It is possible (even common) for someone to be both extremely talented and personally difficult. Why do we have to line up on one side or another? Jagger's motives for keeping Gram at arm's length are probably complicated and multi-faceted.

That's what I was trying to say when I referred to there seemingly being no middle ground.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 14, 2012 21:11

andrewm
That's what I was trying to say when I referred to there seemingly being no middle ground.

and I was agreeing with you! smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 22:31 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:01

>>>I just think his 'hold' over Exile is vastly overstated.

If Gram was the catalyst for Torn and Frayed and Sweet Virginia - we owe him a lot.

On a similar note, the impetus for Shine a Light was Billy Preston taking Mick to gospel churches in LA.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 22:50 by Bliss.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:14

SwayStones
Rockman

...................................................................................... Beautiful cat

Beautiful cat ?
Not even close IMO.
not my kind of men .

A weak, inexpressive and daily face imo. But then again, Jagger is plain ugly! (Sorry Jagger-girls)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:58

The way the Gram Parsons Story has evolved over the years could be summarized with the famous line from the end of John Ford's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." I agree that there is a Parsons Myth that has grown so large it needs a reality check, especially when some want to dub him the creator of country rock.

That said, I'm a fan. But I'll admit that the day he died my reaction was, "Who?" To his credit, Robert Hilburn of the LA Times wrote an extensive appreciation of him, which was an eye opener to me. His death didn't get a lot of news because he died the same day as Jim Croce, who had a number of hit singles and you'd see on TV a lot. Gram on the other hand, was basically a cult artist.

About a year later I remember reading about Gram's travels with the Stones on their 1970 tour in David Dalton's 1972 Stones book. There was one picture of him and Keith enjoying a desert morning in Joshua Tree, but Gram is holding up a telescope and you can't see his face. For years, after that I looked for a picture of Gram with the Stones...and there were none to be found!

I can think of seeing a copy of GP in a record store. It had one of those stickers on it that record companies would sometimes add to goose sales. This one was actually a short essay, that explained who Gram was, mentioned that the Burritos had covered "Wild Horses" and made a real big deal about Gram's association with the Stones, even saying that Keith was originally supposed to be the producer of Burrito Deluxe. The message that WB was pushing was this: this guy is cool because he hangs out with the Stones.

I didn't get the record that day, but awhile later started buying Gram's music after reading a 1976 Crawdaddy article that had an illustration of him passed out in a limo, much like the Rock Dreams painting of Hank Williams. And I think that some were quoted saying that Gram was on a Hank Williams trip, and that he himself was in pursuit of creating his own myth.

The next time I saw Gimme Shelter at an art house screening, I was looking for Gram, and it drove me nuts that his face is not visible during the Burrito Brothers song. Now you can pull up any You Tube clip, but back then that was it. And again, there were no photos to be found of him hanging with the Stones.

This unavailability of material is what really fuels a legend.

I like Gram's music, and it put me in a direction of discovering a whole bunch of artists that influenced him. And in the late 70's my friends and I started camping out in Joshua Tree, and visit Cap Rock where he was cremated, and fans had set up several makeshift shrines. I don't recall ever meeting a fellow Parsons fan all the times we went there.

In fact, we even stayed there on the 10th Anniversary of his death in '83. We figured that there would be a mob of fans there for that. The number of fans that we encountered: zero.

But about the mid-80's, a couple of years after Elvis Costello put out his Almost Blue country album, Gram was suddenly white hot. And then the first trickle of Dominique Tarle photos appeared in that Stones coffee table book (the one that used the Black and Blue cover) so we finally got to see a clear photo of him and Keith together.

But now, strangely, the axis had suddenly shifted. Gram was now legendary. Whereas the sticker on the GP album years earlier had sold Gram as being cool because he hung out with Keith....these photos released in a book when the Stones hip-quotient was at an all-time low, oddly enough seemed to add to Keith's credibility.

Keith at that moment looked cool for hanging out with Gram. He was benefiting from a myth he helped create.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2012 23:09

(the one that used the Black and Blue cover)

THE ROLLING STONES -- Robert Palmer

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 14, 2012 23:27

Rockman
(the one that used the Black and Blue cover)

THE ROLLING STONES -- Robert Palmer

That's it. Those photos of Keith and Gram were a revelation back then. The highlight of the book.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 15, 2012 00:52

stupidguy2
I know you're referring to HB,
But you're classy Naturalist, and I enjoy your posts. We're not always going to agree on everything, but I always worry that my own lack of tact distorts my respect for others.......and I always respect your POV and the manner in which you express it.
Peace.

Thanks stupidguy2! The feeling is mutual. I learned long ago you don't resemble your somewhat self-depreciating monkier. I appreciate your comment.

And Max, well, I'm a stand for you, blinded by your wit,humor and enthuiasm you can do no wrong by me.

I think Swaystones post above with the quote from Mr. D Tarle is about the only other first hand insight into this whole Gram/Keith/Mick discussion. Right on target and topic Sway, thanks for that. peace

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 15, 2012 05:23

Elmo Lewis
Gram seems both overrated and underrated!

Underrated in that the average person on the street doesn't know who he is due to a lack of hit records. This is a shame and their loss.

Overrated by being given most (if not all) the credit for country-rock. Many others were working the same area - Nesmith, Nelson, etc.

One who seems to be overlooked (due to his later image, I guess) is Kenny Rogers. The First Edition had some really good songs (Ruby Don't TaKe Your Love To Town, You Know I Love You, etc.). Also, Kenny was responsible for bringing Don Henley's band Shiloh to California.
Do any of the Canadians on IORR remember the parody of the Kenny Rogers sung to his hit You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me Lucille?
Sung as Pierre Trudeau singing to Margaret...
You picked a fine to leave me, Margaret...
With three hungry kids and I'm losing Quebec

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 15, 2012 05:42

Naturalust
stupidguy2
But you're classy Naturalist, and I enjoy your posts. We're not always going to agree on everything, but I always worry that my own lack of tact distorts my respect for others.......and I always respect your POV and the manner in which you express it.
Peace.

Thanks stupidguy2! The feeling is mutual. I learned long ago you don't resemble your somewhat self-depreciating monkier. I appreciate your comment.

Awesome!
And Peace....

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 15, 2012 09:04

stupidguy2
Peace

Yes indeed. All our dear Naturalust has to do is refrain from making insulting, passive-aggressive comments at the end of his posts (always followed up by an insincere "peace", of course), and he'd be just about perfect. smiling smiley

Date: March 15, 2012 18:49

kleermaker
SwayStones
Rockman

Beautiful cat ?
Not even close IMO.
not my kind of men .

A weak, inexpressive and daily face imo. But then again, Jagger is plain ugly! (Sorry Jagger-girls)

My thoughts put into words ,kleermaker -where have you been BTW smiling smiley? -
and your English better than mine as always ( I am not sure now everybody got my " ShallowMarshmallow " quote , I meant "soft/weak as a marshmallow )

<<Jagger is plain ugly! (Sorry Jagger-girls<<

You don't want me to flood that thread with Jagger's pics which are each more beautiful than the last ,do you ? winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 15, 2012 19:13

Mick and Keith were both obsessed with Gram (of coke).

Date: March 15, 2012 19:14

Bliss
stupidguy2
Peace

Yes indeed. All our dear Naturalust has to do is refrain from making insulting, passive-aggressive comments at the end of his posts (always followed up by an insincere "peace", of course), and he'd be just about perfect. smiling smiley

Done. peace

Date: March 15, 2012 22:43

SwayStones
kleermaker
SwayStones
Rockman

Beautiful cat ?
Not even close IMO.
not my kind of men .

My thoughts put into words ,kleermaker -where have you been BTW smiling smiley? -
and your English better than mine as always ( I am not sure now everybody got my " ShallowMarshmallow " quote , I meant "soft/weak as a marshmallow )

<<Jagger is plain ugly! (Sorry Jagger-girls<<

You don't want me to flood that thread with Jagger's pics which are each more beautiful than the last ,do you ? winking smiley

I got it (ShallowMarshmallow). But I shouldn't interfere in this thread. I'm more interested in the Jagger-Richards-Taylor relationship then and now. Just couldn't stand to tease the Jagger-girls who take everything regarding Big Mick so seriously.

Date: March 15, 2012 22:47

kleermaker
But I shouldn't interfere in this thread. I'm more interested in the Jagger-Richards-Taylor relationship then and now. Just couldn't stand to tease the Jagger-girls who take everything regarding Big Mick so seriously.

What is it with this 'Jagger-girls' shit?
That's the kind of idiotic shit that starts the shit in the first place.

Date: March 15, 2012 22:49

Naturalust
Bliss
stupidguy2
Peace

Done. peace

But I thought Naturalist's 'Peace' was genuine, a way to end an argument with a 'It's all good...still love ya'
Isn't it Naturalist? Isn't it, Huh?

Date: March 16, 2012 02:04

stupidguy2
Naturalust
Bliss
stupidguy2
Peace

Done. peace

But I thought Naturalist's 'Peace' was genuine, a way to end an argument with a 'It's all good...still love ya'

Yep, it's genuine all right. I've got nothing but love for Rolling Stones fans at the end of the day. Even the misguided, cynical and slightly broken ones... peace

Date: March 16, 2012 19:42

Naturalust
stupidguy2
Naturalust
Bliss
stupidguy2
Peace

Done. peace

Yep, it's genuine all right. I've got nothing but love for Rolling Stones fans at the end of the day. Even the misguided, cynical and slightly broken ones... peace

And what about the hypocritical ones ...?

Date: March 16, 2012 20:06

kleermaker
Naturalust
stupidguy2
Naturalust
Bliss
stupidguy2
Peace

Done. peace

Yeah them too, obviously. peace

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 16, 2012 20:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-16 23:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 16, 2012 21:54

Bliss
>>>I just think his 'hold' over Exile is vastly overstated.

If Gram was the catalyst for Torn and Frayed and Sweet Virginia - we owe him a lot.

On a similar note, the impetus for Shine a Light was Billy Preston taking Mick to gospel churches in LA.

I fell Exile really stands out because of the influence of people like Billy, Gram, Taylor and Nicky.

Date: March 16, 2012 23:30

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
stupidguy2
Naturalust
Bliss
stupidguy2
Peace

Done. peace

Peace ,with a majuscule -as it does in English .
Shalom is a Hebrew word meaning peace, completeness, and can be used idiomatically to mean both hello and goodbye

Obviously , if "one" doesn't write/spell the word "Peace " with a majuscule ,it means he does it on purpose

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: March 16, 2012 23:44

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
stupidguy2
Naturalust
Bliss
stupidguy2
Peace

Done. peace

Then 'peace' to you too.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 26, 2012 22:57

great post hbwriter-

let me tell you something,when i first came to this sight a couple of years ago i felt at times i was communicating with a group of robots who had been programmed in a boardroom at jane roses office.

its gotten much better,people started asking questions like if keith was the "heart and soul" of the band and "lived for the stones" then why did he choose a girl over a bandmate in 67,drugs over the future of the band in 77 and fight with mick over "the great betrayal of the solo album" a claim that sort of unravelled when someone posted audio of him saying"solo albums,yeah we'll all do them,i've got about 200 songs that wont work with the stones"-keith said this in 1971.

but one of the most outrageous,ridiculous,and downright stupid premises put forth during the great keith richards myth building and history rewrite act of the 1980s was the gram parsons fairy tale.

this sound familiar?-mick was "jetsetting" and into high society and wouldnt hang around the "real people" in keiths crowd

the adult version-keiths house was filled with low-lifes,sycophants,junkies and hangers on who eventually stole his guitars and turned him into the police.its a miracle jagger ever stepped foot in the place, and who are these "high society people" mick was hanging around with?
i've never thought of david bowie,andy warhol and lou reed as "high society"

but the gram parsons myth-....i didnt know whether to laugh or just stare in disbelief.the story went-mick was "jealous" of gram because he was keiths friend and he was so young and talented.mick was very "stand-offish" around gram...uuummm ok

meanwhile here on earth-mick jagger was in his late 20s and was the most famous rockstar in the world not named lennon or mccartney.[i dont think i have to recap his career up to that point for you] but mick was jealous of a guy nobody knew except that he used to be the 3rd most famous one of the byrds.....yeah that makes sense,if you're so high all the time that you cant think straight.

jagger didnt like the guy because he was a sycophant that was hanging around his songwriting partner and might try to lay claim to a songwriting co-credit if keith came up with something while this minor talent was hanging off his coattails.mick was fighting allen klein for the rights to the songs they had,he didnt need any more headaches.
to this day idiots are trying to give him credit for the stones country flavored songs,songs he had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of.

the stones,especially mick had listened to country music since they were children and in the EARLY 60s,did shows with george jones.
jones is held in the same regard by country music fans as chuck berry is to rockers.one of his guitar players taught the stones the nashville tuning that is used on wild horses.later the myth became that gram had come up with it,yeah right.

just the thought that anyone thinks for a second that some trust fund baby that went around pretending to be hank williams turned the f/cking stones on to country music....its sickening

Date: March 26, 2012 23:15

lem motlow
let me tell you something,when i first came to this sight a couple of years ago i felt at times i was communicating with a group of robots who had been programmed in a boardroom at jane roses office.

to this day idiots are trying to give him credit for the stones country flavored songs,songs he had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of.

With all due respect Lem those robots are better than the robotic conservative rock star ideology that you go into so much detail about here. It was 1972 is case you don't recall, everyone associated with Rock was kind of sleazy and druggie, Mick included! Taking this from a 2012 what is politically correct standpoint is pretty far off the mark. Bianca probably has more influence on Mick's move into high society that anyone and we all know where that led.

hbwriter says some downright slanderous things about Gram that are obviously way off base and way too ugly to be anything other than just plain crap.

Now the idiots who say Gram had the biggest influence in the Stones playing Country music I assume you mean Keith Richards. Of course unless you want to say he is full of it then I suggest you re-read Life. Keith very clearly credits Gram with just that. Until we get a better first hand source (hbwriter is certainly not that) I suggest you stick to what the Stones themselves have said about Gram. Everything else is just hot air. peace

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 26, 2012 23:21

lem motlow
great post hbwriter-

its gotten much better,people started asking questions like if keith was the "heart and soul" of the band and "lived for the stones" then why did he choose a girl over a bandmate in 67,drugs over the future of the band in 77 and fight with mick over "the great betrayal of the solo album" a claim that sort of unravelled when someone posted audio of him saying"solo albums,yeah we'll all do them,i've got about 200 songs that wont work with the stones"-keith said this in 1971.

but one of the most outrageous,ridiculous,and downright stupid premises put forth during the great keith richards myth building and history rewrite act of the 1980s was the gram parsons fairy tale.

this sound familiar?-mick was "jetsetting" and into high society and wouldnt hang around the "real people" in keiths crowd

the adult version-keiths house was filled with low-lifes,sycophants,junkies and hangers on who eventually stole his guitars and turned him into the police.its a miracle jagger ever stepped foot in the place, and who are these "high society people" mick was hanging around with?
i've never thought of david bowie,andy warhol and lou reed as "high society"

but the gram parsons myth-....i didnt know whether to laugh or just stare in disbelief.the story went-mick was "jealous" of gram because he was keiths friend and he was so young and talented.mick was very "stand-offish" around gram...uuummm ok

meanwhile here on earth-mick jagger was in his late 20s and was the most famous rockstar in the world not named lennon or mccartney.[i dont think i have to recap his career up to that point for you] but mick was jealous of a guy nobody knew except that he used to be the 3rd most famous one of the byrds.....yeah that makes sense,if you're so high all the time that you cant think straight.

jagger didnt like the guy because he was a sycophant that was hanging around his songwriting partner and might try to lay claim to a songwriting co-credit if keith came up with something while this minor talent was hanging off his coattails.mick was fighting allen klein for the rights to the songs they had,he didnt need any more headaches.

the stones,especially mick had listened to country music since they were children and in the EARLY 60s,did shows with george jones.
jones is held in the same regard by country music fans as chuck berry is to rockers.one of his guitar players taught the stones the nashville tuning that is used on wild horses.later the myth became that gram had come up with it,yeah right.

just the thought that anyone thinks for a second that some trust fund baby that went around pretending to be hank williams turned the f/cking stones on to country music....its sickening

thanks, brother- great post on your part

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home