Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: Keith? No - Gram was obsessed with Mick
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2012 07:45

Country & West Coast - The Birth Of Country Rock - BIGBEAT CDWIKD 260

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 1, 2012 07:56

swiss
71Tele
hb threw up a provacative hyposthesis (that, based on a video, Gram had some kind of Jagger obsession) he shouldn't be surprised by passionate responses from those that didn't agree. There are plenty of opinions when it comes to Gram Parsons and the only thing I can't understand is why some people don't want to acknowledge that one individual - Gram in this case - cannot contain both positive and negative aspects, the same as members of a certain rock 'n' roll group we all enjoy. In my case, I both enjoy a lot of Gram's music and dislike a lot of the mythology about him, so where does that put me in the Great Gram Debate?

As for Naturalust, if I may make a friendly observation: The "peace" sign-off has gotten tired. It is particularly odd at the end of contentious posts. What is it, 1969? How about signing off with something else for a while, like "cantelope", or "Schenectady", so we could have a bit of a break?

Cheers.

I haven't posted a second time on this thread for a couple of reasons. I do very much appreciate this post by Tele and the one by Andrew---I agree that if the intent is to engage in discussion or debate the reactions are mostly 5-fiving people who are pretty much in lockstep and going after the most vitriolic. It does make for a high-spirited thread, but, as Tele says, there seems to be no attempt to even consider a middle ground. I took a bunch of time to write out my thoughts on the matter, but that wasn't even acknowledged; guess it wasn't off the rails or provocative enough.

As for "peace" I personally don't give a flying fantango how someone signs off -- and I'm pretty sure the perverse side of myself would might kick in and I would continue signing off with "peace" myself if people were getting bent out of shape about my saying that.

And naturalust, I'm not in the "don't go changin'" camp. You are and always have been a righteous dude. And I can appreciate that you react against that which you perceive as bullying and throwing one's weight around. The prob here, it seems, that a couple times you seem to have sloshed over from righteous to self-righteous.

But, in all, I don't care much---I sometimes pop onto this thread, but mostly not because it's become pretty unpleasant on the part of both main posters.

I have very positive associations with both of you, and this thread won't change that. But the tone and direction has unfortunately veered seriously south several times.

And, actually, this thread does seem to have been launched with the intent to stir things up and to be provocative, more than genuinely to catalyze thoughtful measured discussion--e.g., Gram Parsons "obsessed" with Mick. There's no crime in doing that, but the intent seems clear. And when someone is provocative in that way, some people will feel provoked, and will respond to being poked at. And there does appear to be sort of slightly subterranean barbs in the initial and subsequent post aimed at people who believe there's credence to Gram Parsons' having had influence on the music of the Rolling Stones (of some significance). My intelligence doesn't feel insulted, per se, but it's a little distasteful.

Incidentally, the rolodex/speed-dial portion of this thread was enormously amusing--I was having a sad day and ended up laughing so hard at that exchange. Also, hbwriter, your saying that when you typed "i Phone" it was transformed into #$%^&*(. When I first read it, I was like, Dude--what did you say!??! because it was so unlike you to swear so badly that it would be bleeped out! grinning smiley

As for the video....jeepers. It was the times. I wish I had more stake in being "right" on this one, but I don't, cuz if I did I would round up a bunch of videos from a range of bands/performers from that time period---Mick didn't start it with Gram Parsons aping him---it was a very campy prancey dancey swishy foppy time. To me, it just looked like Gram was having fun and being silly.

And finally, just because Mick Jagger doesn't rhapsodize about, or even much mention, Gram Parsons means very little. And when we get bent out of shape about Keith perpetuating his view....shouldn't we also be wondering why Mick doesn't claim his narrative or version of reality, rather than slamming Keith for asserting his?

-swiss

Dear Swiss - as so often happens - delivers the goods with with smarts, good humor, and panache.

Yes, when the debate reached the "I know more rock stars than you" level it was mighty amusing indeed.

As for "peace", sure, one can sign off whatever way tickles one's fancy. But I think I speak for more than myself here when I say the "peace" thing was getting on my nerves. Maybe I'm not "peaceful" enough to appreciate it. Anyway, my comments were meant more in a spirit of mischievousness than hostility, as I hope Naturalust realized. Peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-01 07:57 by 71Tele.

Date: April 1, 2012 14:55

I´m playing a solo show tonight. To honor Gram (and this thread), I´m playing Griveous Angel and Brass Buttons winking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 2, 2012 03:50

andrewm
Again, I really like that video. I just see it as a charming relic of its time and the first time I saw it, 20 years ago, I didn't think, "wow, he's totally obsessed with Jagger here". May have thought, "wow, he's really camping it up", but, so what? Who cares?

HB, as I said earlier in this relentless thread, I could care less whether anyone likes or dislikes Parsons' music, I know how I feel about it. And, I could certainly care less about any bickering on here between you and anyone else-that's just....weird. But, you really do seem to be trying to, I dunno, pick at a scab here, for want of a better way to put it. And despite your protestations that you're just interested in healthy debate, you don't actually respond to any of the so-called healthy debate, you just respond to people who agree with you or people who vehemently disagree.

I told myself I wouldn't post on this again, but to reiterate: it seems like it's a personal thing for you. I haven't read the bio in question but I've read the Ben Fong-Torres book, the Sid Griffin book and the Polly Parsons co-write and I get it: flawed human being, probably not much fun to be in a band with. But, why would that stop me loving the man's voice or his music? And your constant dismissal of Gram's music as tepid, weak, bland , whatever else you've called it, is I think what maybe annoys some people, like you're trying to provoke, and not in a fun way. The argument you keep pressing is that people who do claim to like it are simply in thrall to the legend, to the mystique, and can't think for themselves. That's what I take from it, anyway, and I find that kind of an insult to my intelligence.

Thnaks for your post Andrew, I actually think you hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned.

DP that's the spirit! I wish I could hear your set. Where are you located? I'm already a fan. I actually don't even know many Gram songs but am going to work a couple up after this experience. I've done my apologizing, haven't heard a peep back, just what I expected.

As far as the expressed view that the beauty of this forum being that most of it is FOREVER, that pretty much tells the whole story right there. That is about a far off the mark and as personally self serving as it gets. To me the beauty is that it brings out sometimes great discussions, music and pictures of the Rolling Stones. I mean c'mon! That kind of thinking might be applicable to my peace sign off, maybe making peace a little closer to forever.

As far as my comment about my rock and pop star friends, it was meant to be funny, obviously! I'm not backtracking one step mind you, just take it with a smile and not so friggin seriously please. I could round a couple of them up to comment on Gram pretty quickly but I doubt they would expose themselves to the possibility of badgering and distrust. Who cares? You folks leave little room for people with real stories to comment. Only second hand opinions from people who have read books with second hand information and the exageration necessary to sell such books and a need to be immortalized by seeing their words live forever on this forum. That is the real loss here, the safety to tell stories about the Stones and other Artists who have obviously contributed to the soundtrack of our lives. peace

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 2, 2012 04:04

Even though Parsons is known for his association with Emmylou Harris, I think his most moving performance is In My Hour Of Darkness with Linda Ronstadt.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 2, 2012 04:07

"You folks leave little room for people with real stories to comment. Only second hand opinions from people who have read books with second hand information and the exageration necessary to sell such books and a need to be immortalized by seeing their words live forever on this forum. That is the real loss here, the safety to tell stories about the Stones and other Artists who have obviously contributed to the soundtrack of our lives. peace"

Naturalust,
Man, you are so full of yourself,but of course you are the only one (the annointed) that has real stories to tell,the rest of us mere humans,should just sit at your feet and be amazed...Piece...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: April 2, 2012 04:15

Nice Ropeeni, you make my point succiently. Nice work. I can see the wonderful contributions you have made to this and other threads , great stories, nice words, a complete package.

Did you read the words bv posted about not getting personal and insulting? I suggest you go back a few pages and do just that. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-02 04:20 by Naturalust.

Date: April 2, 2012 04:23

Naturalust
Nice Ropeeni, you are just the one I'm talking about then. Nice work. I can see the wonderful contributions you have made to this and other threads , great stories, nice words, a complete package. peace

You are quite welcome your highness.....BTW the correct spelling is ROPENI..
Also stating the obvious can not be considered an insult.....But, if in your case you feel alluded to,well then my most sincere apologies..smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-02 04:33 by ROPENI.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 2, 2012 11:52

go to YOUTUBE and punch keith richards/gram parsons in the search.a video will come up from keiths old website where they ask him:

"did gram parsons influence the stones to play country music"

its about a 3 minute video but the first thing he says is"we cut those songs shortly before i met gram" and later-"i've been listening to blues and country since before i even played guitar"

so the answer to the question of did the country influence in the rolling stones music come from gram parsons-NO,which is probably why mick never mentions him,he had 0 effect.

the guy sat around getting high and strumming an acoustic at keiths house for a couple of months and people have him f/cking co-writing wild horses,its a joke.if keith actually says in his book"gram turned me on to country music" as someone claimed earlier then maybe he smacked his head falling out of the tree a little harder than we originally thought.

Date: April 2, 2012 14:40

lem motlow
go to YOUTUBE and punch keith richards/gram parsons in the search.a video will come up from keiths old website where they ask him:

its about a 3 minute video but the first thing he says is"we cut those songs shortly before i met gram" and later-"i've been listening to blues and country since before i even played guitar"

so the answer to the question of did the country influence in the rolling stones music come from gram parsons-NO,which is probably why mick never mentions him,he had 0 effect.

the guy sat around getting high and strumming an acoustic at keiths house for a couple of months and people have him f/cking co-writing wild horses,its a joke.if keith actually says in his book"gram turned me on to country music" as someone claimed earlier then maybe he smacked his head falling out of the tree a little harder than we originally thought.

Great lem,maybe this will put to rest the Gram myth,that some people are trying to perpetuate here,lets face it he was nothing more than a hanger on at Nellcote for a few weeks,did drugs with Keith,strummed the guitar and then was kicked out,never to hear from The Stones again,it would be nice for someone to confront Keith with his words from back then vs his bullshit in "Life"

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 2, 2012 14:55

ROPENI
lem motlow

Great lem,maybe this will put to rest the Gram myth,that some people are trying to perpetuate here,lets face it he was nothing more than a hanger on at Nellcote for a few weeks,did drugs with Keith,strummed the guitar and then was kicked out,never to hear from The Stones again,it would be nice for someone to confront Keith with his words from back then vs his bullshit in "Life"

This thread has become really cruel and mean spirited.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 2, 2012 15:00

filstan
ROPENI
lem motlow

This thread has become really cruel and mean spirited.

this thread is still far from LIFE in it's cruelty and meanness.
All your posts in this thread are great and spot on,lem motlow

Date: April 2, 2012 15:47

Gram turned Keith into a GENRE within country music. That's undisputable.

The Stones played country music on Aftermath already (High And Dry).

Date: April 2, 2012 18:17

I finally figured it out.... Gram must've slept with all these naysayers wives, back before the cruel and difficult divorces. peace

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 2, 2012 18:28

I am another who admires lem motlow's posts.

Anyone anywhere who is "cruel and meanspirited" bothers me.

Re Gram, who can blame him for wanting to hang out with "the band" of that time?

Loyalty is a trait I admire. Jagger has been loyal and treated Keith more than fairly for years. The band has put up with a lot from Keith.

Keith can be a very good person. He let himself down in many parts of "Life" including remarks about Jagger, even Anita who may have become a gradual mess. But she was Keith's woman, and he treated her and other family members badly.
As the "head of the household," he was a disaster.

This does not mean that the Keith of today is a terrible person. Flawed, as we all are, to some degree. He disrespected the band who made him rich and famous, put his ego above the music. In his heart, he knows this.

So we move on and give him a break.

Lengthy threads in this vein remind me of reality TV. And not in a good way.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 2, 2012 19:58

Not sure about this ...

Date: April 2, 2012 19:58

stonesrule

Re Gram, who can blame him for wanting to hang out with "the band" of that time?

Loyalty is a trait I admire. Jagger has been loyal and treated Keith more than fairly for years. The band has put up with a lot from Keith.

Keith can be a very good person. He let himself down in many parts of "Life" including remarks about Jagger, even Anita who may have become a gradual mess. But she was Keith's woman, and he treated her and other family members badly.

This does not mean that the Keith of today is a terrible person. Flawed, as we all are, to some degree. He disrespected the band who made him rich and famous, put his ego above the music. In his heart, he knows this.

Just a little adding to your post, stonesrule. In fairness, neither Anita or Patti have said any bad things about Keith, and he has been with Patti for 32 years, not to mention he still has a close friendly relationship with Anita smiling smiley

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: April 2, 2012 21:52

stonesrule

Doesn't Keith pay Anita's bills? Pretty generous I'd say since Angela is to turn 40 this month. The ones who were hurt imo were Marlon and Angela. Especially Angela who was sent to live with Keith's mother at an early age. Keith treated Anita badly? How about vice versa....

I like Gram Parsons and having been raised in the South I grew up on country music. Having said that most people in the South (as well as other parts of the country) have never heard of Gram Parsons. No offense...as I said I like Gram Parsons.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 2, 2012 23:11

Marie
stonesrule

Doesn't Keith pay Anita's bills? Pretty generous I'd say since Angela is to turn 40 this month. The ones who were hurt imo were Marlon and Angela. Especially Angela who was sent to live with Keith's mother at an early age. Keith treated Anita badly? How about vice versa....

I like Gram Parsons and having been raised in the South I grew up on country music. Having said that most people in the South (as well as other parts of the country) have never heard of Gram Parsons. No offense...as I said I like Gram Parsons.

thats true. seems to be mostly musicians who know about Gram, especially ones that care about the Stones. I was in a bar the other night and an acoustic duo, couple of dudes maybe 30 yrs old were playing stuff from Grievous Angel

sounded good too. 'She' in particular.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 3, 2012 00:43

Marie
stonesrule

Keith supports Anita and I suspect that is in exchange for her not writing a book about her experiences with the RS.

Why do you think Angela was especially hurt as a result of being sent to live with Doris? It would seem that Doris was a loving and responsible mother and grandmother.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 3, 2012 00:57

This is the video Lem refers to. It is just post-coconut-tree, and Keith is barely compos mentis. He actually says very little and what he does say is muddled, not merely his voice but his thinking seems unclear (god love 'im - glad he has appeared sharper since then)

And for more on Gram's influence:

From Keith:
"The reason Gram and I were together more than other musicians is because I really wanted to learn what Gram had to offer. Gram was really intrigued by me and the band. Although we came from England, Gram and I shared this instinctive affinity for the real South. Gram was special. If he was in a room everyone else became sweet. Anything that Gram was involved in had a touch of magic to it...He taught me the mechanics of country music...the Nashville style as opposed to the Bakersfield style. Also, he got me into playing piano. I like to write a lot on the piano as opposed to the guitar. He started to turn me on to certain classic tracks and certain styles of playing things--George Jones, Merle Haggard, Jimmie Rodgers. We used to sit around the piano for ages, trying to figure out little licks. But not all country--that was the overwhelming impression, but also blues; Robert Johnson.

"Around '68 up comes this second Robert Johnson collection that included 'Love in Vain." 'Love in Vain' was such a beautiful song. Mick and I both loved it, and at the time Gram and I started searching around for a different way to present it, because if we were going to record it there was no point in trying to copy the Robert Johnson style or version. So I sat around playing all kinds of different ways and styles. We took a little bit more country, a little bit more formalized, and Mick felt comfortable with that. But in a way it was just like 'We've got to do this song, one way or another.' Because it was just so beautiful: the title, the lyrics, the rhymes, just everything about it."

Keith Richards, by Victor Bokris, 2003 (p. 147-148).

(Gram Parsons would) be playing upstairs. When I wasn't in the studio, Mick and I would be playing with Gram. I think Gram really did not want to intrude. I think he really deliberately didn't want to push himself forward in any way as being part of the record. I think he just wanted to watch how we did it and how we were going to get out of this thing. I think it was a just a matter of respect, really... I think the only way it could have happened is if we said, Hey, Gram. We need another guitar here. But Gram's a gentleman, and he saw we knew what we were doing and didn't want to be distracted.
Keith Richards, 2010

---------------------------
- swiss

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 3, 2012 01:27

i cant see the video you posted-the one i'm talking about keith is wearing a rainbow colored headband and its from well before he was injured.

its on youtube and he's speaking very clearly-"its a very interesting question because in actual fact we recorded those songs before gram and i met,i think it was just a matter of leaning in the same direction"
and"i was listening to country and blues even before i played guitar".

thats the problem with keith,what he says depends on how he's feeling that day about the particular person or subject at hand and it doesnt always jibe with reality,he's just not reliable.

i wonder why he doesnt get all sentimental and carry on about his time with ry cooder.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: April 3, 2012 01:45

Bliss
Marie
stonesrule

Keith supports Anita and I suspect that is in exchange for her not writing a book about her experiences with the RS.

Why do you think Angela was especially hurt as a result of being sent to live with Doris? It would seem that Doris was a loving and responsible mother and grandmother.

Or...Keith may have felt it was the right thing to do. I doubt Anita wants to write about her experiences with the RS because she would probably not come out looking too good herself. I'm sure Doris was a very responsible and loving grandmother, but it still wasn't her parents. Angela may have thought that Marlon was able to live with Keith and Anita, why not her? It would be only natural for her to feel a little resentment.

Date: April 3, 2012 01:56

lem motlow
thats the problem with keith,what he says depends on how he's feeling that day about the particular person or subject at hand and it doesnt always jibe with reality,he's just not reliable.

Well, have to say that's not entirely inaccurate winking smiley Tho...you're presuming there is *A Reality* from which Keith sometimes diverges. To Keith, I'm pretty sure reality is (or realities are) far more fluid than that.

That's part of the problem with this discussion/thread. Keith's accounts on many topics can be contradictory; but it doesn't mean that they don't all hold some truth to them. It's not yea or nay; black or white.

Half of the contributors to iorr seem to recognize that multiple realities do simultaneously exist, and sometimes even appear to contradict each other---as well as the fact that Keith rarely, if ever, holds onto one story (and the fact that Keith does hold the line so tenaciously about, for example, what a complete rank @#$%& Brian was is one of the reasons I don't believe him on that---when Keith digs in his heels and insists on one linear reality being Truth, something's rotten in Denmark).

lem motlow
i wonder why he doesnt get all sentimental and carry on about his time with ry cooder.

May have something to do with the fact that he and Ry Cooder weren't ultra-tight. And Keith never considered him a musical or personal soul mate.
-swiss

Date: April 3, 2012 02:09

stonesrule
He let himself down in many parts of "Life"...Flawed, as we all are, to some degree. He disrespected the band who made him rich and famous, put his ego above the music. In his heart, he knows this.

Omit me from this use of the royal "We."

It's far more complex than Keith disrespecting his band and letting them down--and especially implying that he alone put his ego above music.

I see no reason to give Keith a break. He needs no "break" from me or anyone else.

And what, specifically, leads you to the assertion that Keith let himself down in LIFE? Perhaps you were let down. As well as others who hoped to see him in a certain way. I wasn't let down at all. It's an unevenly "written" piece, reflecting someone fluctuating at a great many levels of emotional honesty--and commitment to mining his memories--as authentically as he could. The portrait that emerges is tremendously uneven. And often does not showcase himself, doesn't put himself in a favorable light. I mean, really--he shines a harsh and unflattering light at himself sometimes, and it seems he's aware of that and saying "Take it or leave it--this is me." Other times he's immersed in/obscured by self-illusion, what Tele refers to as his "weapons" talk--when he starts brandishing his shooter or the blade and saving the day, or whatever.

But I am more impressed with LIFE than almost any auto/biography I've read, and I've read a lot. To allow that unevenness was bold of Keith, and the publishers. But that is life, isn't it? We can try to sand it down, and create lovely coherent narrative for ourselves and others. But the more honest we are the more contradictions and frayed uncontrolled edges emerge. And LIFE allows for that. I think it's stupendous, and brave, work. Again, certainly didn't let me down--as much as I rolled my eyes at Keith at times when he'd start spinning off into wishful thinking "story land."

-swiss

Date: April 3, 2012 02:15

Marie
Or...Keith may have felt it was the right thing to do. I doubt Anita wants to write about her experiences with the RS because she would probably not come out looking too good herself. I'm sure Doris was a very responsible and loving grandmother, but it still wasn't her parents. Angela may have thought that Marlon was able to live with Keith and Anita, why not her? It would be only natural for her to feel a little resentment.

I agree, Marie....it's most likely not like Anita's champing at the bit to spill the dirt on her and Keith's life together. As much as because they did (and do) love each other and respect each other, and what went down is private.

As for Angela vs Marlon. That has always tugged at my heart, and I feel bad for Angela as a child, because, as you say, she probably did wonder why Marlon and not her? Even now, knowing intellectually she was better off, it must have made a few dents. But parents do their best, even if it's woefully off.

I do sometimes wonder why they didn't have nannies or governesses? Was that not something people did back then? It's probably just as well because if they were deemed "cool" enough to be their nanny they probably would've been in danger of being sucked into their decadent grotesque vortex themselves.
-swiss

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 3, 2012 02:50

"royal We"? Foolish me for thinking that all of us posting in this thread were having a conversation

Have it YOUR way Swiss warrior. This thread can go forever as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy!

Date: April 3, 2012 03:16

stonesrule
"royal We"? Foolish me for thinking that all of us posting in this thread were having a conversation

Have it YOUR way Swiss warrior. This thread can go forever as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy!

s-rule: you said "So we move on and give him a break."

Seems that's a use of the royal "We." I was saying I see no reason to give Keith a break from me or anyone else.

And I was honestly curious about what specifically led you to believe Keith has let himself down in LIFE? Did you read or hear anything to that effect? I'm not being a warrior, but that's ok.

peace
swiss

Date: April 3, 2012 03:21

Naturalust
I finally figured it out.... Gram must've slept with all these naysayers wives, back before the cruel and difficult divorces. peace

WOW,very deep,you have outdone yourself with this one....

Date: April 3, 2012 03:55

ROPENI
Naturalust

WOW,very deep,you have outdone yourself with this one....

Thank you ROPENIS , I'm sure your ex-wife loved it. peace

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home