Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Sympathy For The Devil - Get Yer Ya Yas Out
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:32

Hahaha...Don't take yourselves too seriously..Remember, iorr

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:49

dewlover
Hahaha...Don't take yourselves too seriously..Remember, iorr

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:54

kleermaker
Here's another interesting version of Sympathy live 1969 (Baltimore). The 'Hey Jude'-version.

Great version!!! what live album is this off it sounds great!! i love the 72 era but this one has some loveley guitar on it, is this one of the better 69 gigs to get hold of?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 05:22

Very interesting version! Especially in the context of Spanish Tony's book Up and Down where he relates the premier party for Beggars and how Jagger was intensely jealous after McCartney played The Beatles new single, Hey Jude/Revolution, then to hear Mick sing the chorus at the end of Sympathy. Cool stuff!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 23, 2012 09:17

Wow that was a great version of that song. They really jammed out the end. Thought I was listening to freebird for a second there. Really interesting guitar leads by both those guys. Great build.

I saw a liner note in there that said covers by Erik Snow, I guessing that is the Erik we hang with on this board, no? Nice photos indeed mate. peace

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 23, 2012 09:29

crumbling_mice
I frequently return to this masterpiece of guitar playing and did so today as I was motoring around...I know it was taken from the MSG gig but just wondered if there is any footage of that song...it must have been filmed as other songs from that night were used in Gimme Shelter. Also was it heavily overdubbed or is the recording fairly true to the live experience?

For me there is two moments on this album that beats everything made live in the world of rock'n'roll and that is: the first 30 seconds on 'Little Queenie' and the last 60 seconds on 'Midnight Rambler'...unbeatable...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 23, 2012 10:11

kleermaker
His Majesty

My dislike for what followed is mostly about the style of guitar playing his replacement brought to the band and what it did to the quirky, but original sound The Rolling Stones had developed during 1962 - 1969 which set them apart from others. The introduction of a John Mayall's Bluesbreaker's school of guitar gods lead guitarist to The Rolling Stones made them sound more similar to other blues/rock acts of the time.

HM, you are of course entitled to dislike the Taylor era Stones and Mick Taylor's input in particular. But while he was in the Stones, he certainly didn't act like a guitar god at all. That's a far spread myth. On the studio albums his soloing is very modest. As for his live contribution: the prove is in comparing the Texas 1978 DVD with the live versions of the songs during Taylor's tenure. The funny thing is that Wood does solo on Live in Texas 1978 about as much as Taylor does on the official Brussels Affair. But no one seems to have noticed that. The cliché 'Taylor the Stones' noodling guitar god' is plain nonsense. He is no guitar god in the first place (so many guitarists are 'faster' and technically better), and secondly his licks and counterlicks are just as important as his solos. Surprise, Surprise: Ronnie Wood is soloing just as much as Mick Taylor does on those similar songs. The big difference: he did it not so good, to say it mildly. In that sense Taylor was indeed a 'guitar god'. But not in the usual sense of the word.

The Stones evolved from 1962 until 1974, GHS being their last great 'original' album, IORR being more like a status quo album. After IORR the Stones generally changed into a trendy band, following the popular musical trends of the time: punk, disco, reggae etc. That's one of the most important reasons people who got into the Stones at that time are so fond of that version of the band: they still recognize the sound of their time. Ask Doxa.

I think you're mistaking the licks for soloing here. What you call counter melodies is mainly what Wood does on LIT. When he first take a solo it's usually shorter and more fragmented, and leaves space for Keith to come in with his licks.

However, we can agree on the fact that Wood plays just as much as Taylor on LIT smiling smiley

BTW, kleermaker, will I see you on my gigs in Amsterdam or Rotterdam in March?

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: February 23, 2012 10:30

I do prefer 69 tour most of all: a fabolous jagger, great guitars and a great rhythmn section. I think this period is the best due to the great production work and influence of jimmy miller: the stones never have had that groove and attitude like they had in those days. the band and miller himself were reaching their peak. what had followed is a consequence of this great chemistry they achieved.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 23, 2012 11:30

partnerincrime
I do prefer 69 tour most of all: a fabolous jagger, great guitars and a great rhythmn section. I think this period is the best due to the great production work and influence of jimmy miller: the stones never have had that groove and attitude like they had in those days. the band and miller himself were reaching their peak. what had followed is a consequence of this great chemistry they achieved.

I agree 1969 is probably the last good tour in terms of groove, before it became sloppy overkill from 1972 onwards. There are elements of the 1969 sound in 1970 of course, and 1971 also. I wish we could get some Stonesarhive releases from 1970/71.

Date: February 23, 2012 11:35

WeLoveYou
partnerincrime

I agree 1969 is probably the last good tour in terms of groove, before it became sloppy overkill from 1972 onwards. There are elements of the 1969 sound in 1970 of course, and 1971 also. I wish we could get some Stonesarhive releases from 1970/71.

69: great
70: lazy
71: lazy and sloppy
72: Fantastic
73: Great, but occasionally lazy and sloppy

Sloppy overkill in 1972??? Which boots have you heard? The only sloppy one I've come across is the opening night in Vancouver. Still, I'd take that one over Leeds and the Marquee any day!

Date: February 23, 2012 12:24

DandelionPowderman
WeLoveYou
partnerincrime

Sloppy overkill in 1972??? Which boots have you heard? The only sloppy one I've come across is the opening night in Vancouver. Still, I'd take that one over Leeds and the Marquee any day!

Listen to JJF played in 1969 and 1970. There's a subtle groove to it. Now listen to it played in 1972 and every occasion since - it's always played too fast and sometimes to the point that they almost lose the riff at times. I'm not saying that later versions are dreadful, just that they never recaptured the groove of the earlier performances of JJF. The same goes for the later concerts in general - which I enjoy - but they don't quite have that 1969/1970 groove.

Date: February 23, 2012 12:48

I think that the greatness and unicity of Stones' playing is that particular groove they have, mostly due to the rhythmic part of the band, keith, charlie and bill, in which both micks naturally fit in. and in '69 they reached their climax in that sense: get a close listening to carol, little queenie, honky just to name a few ... call it backbeat, call it groove, call it whatever you want, that's what makes normal 3 chords songs in 3 chords wonders!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 23, 2012 12:50

WeLoveYou
DandelionPowderman
WeLoveYou
partnerincrime

Listen to JJF played in 1969 and 1970. There's a subtle groove to it. Now listen to it played in 1972 and every occasion since - it's always played too fast and sometimes to the point that they almost lose the riff at times. I'm not saying that later versions are dreadful, just that they never recaptured the groove of the earlier performances of JJF. The same goes for the later concerts in general - which I enjoy - but they don't quite have that 1969/1970 groove.

I really don't care much for JJF after 1973, apart from the 1978 tour versions, even though I'm a big fan of TOTA 1975 and to a certain extent; 1981/1982
As Leonard Keringer once said....it's impossible to hear ANY difference between JJF in 1989/1990, 1994/1995 and every tour that followed. It's like a karaoke-box

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 13:23 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 23, 2012 13:01

WeLoveYou
DandelionPowderman
WeLoveYou
partnerincrime

I agree on JJF, but keep in mind that the live version of JJF is considerably slower than the studio take, with Altamont being the extreme example of losing the groove.

They had more songs than JJF in the setlist, right? Many like the faster versions of Midnight Rambler that came later on, as well as the 1972 versions of Love In Vain and others + that many fans love the superior setlist in 1972.

However, and that goes for 1969 in particular, I'm with you on how well the band kept the groove and the awesome sound they created, compared to other tours.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 23, 2012 19:07

liddas
Best live version of Devil is the Love you Live version. No discussion...
Such thinking defeats the purpose of a discussion forum...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 23, 2012 19:12

ChrisM
liddas

that's right, chris. liddas should be posting at bv's "don't tell me" forum...i go there a couple of times a day when i don't feel like discussing things...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 19:15 by StonesTod.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 23, 2012 19:38

StonesTod
ChrisM
liddas

that's right, chris. liddas should be posting at bv's "don't tell me" forum...i go there a couple of times a day when i don't feel like discussing things...

It scares me to see that kleermaker is making proselytes ...

C

p.s. Just kidding, before someone is offended ...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 23, 2012 19:48

Love You Live version is horrible compared to Ya Yas.

Date: February 23, 2012 19:58

71Tele
Love You Live version is horrible compared to Ya Yas.

They are both inferior to the the mighty studio version. grinning smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 23, 2012 21:44

liddas

It scares me to see that kleermaker is making proselytes ...

C

Not intentionally though. cool smiley

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:55

love the baltimore 69 version.taylor is just burning once again!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:43

I have to take my hat off to His Majesty for sticking to his guns...despite a whole legion of us arguing for the various live versions of Sympathy, he is still here at the end standing firm on the studio version...well done Mr Majesty!

...of course you are still misguided and missing the magic of MSG 1969 - unbeatable imho.

tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 24, 2012 02:13

I used to really really liked it years ago, the Ya Ya's version that is, but the studio version has been a personal favourite since I first heard it as has Beggars Banquet and it's weird mixture of styles and sounds.

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 03:05 by His Majesty.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 24, 2012 02:36

crumbling_mice
I have to take my hat off to His Majesty for sticking to his guns...despite a whole legion of us arguing for the various live versions of Sympathy, he is still here at the end standing firm on the studio version...well done Mr Majesty!

...of course you are still misguided and missing the magic of MSG 1969 - unbeatable imho.

tongue sticking out smiley

His Majesty is majestic. Without any doubt. Faithful to Brian as a taylorist to Mick Taylor. I can respect and appreciate that. Long live His Majesty!

His remark about the two missing verses has led to a new discovery. Not for pmk251 (see up here), but for me: the Ya Ya's Sympathy was fully played during the first MSG show on Nov. 28 in that famous year 1969.

Here's the complete version I uploaded to YouTube. The credits go to His Majesty alone (and of course also to Chris M and pmk251)!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 05:20 by kleermaker.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 08:26

One thing that's kind of interesting and somewhat amusing to me is that Ya Yas was the album the first hooked me on the Stone courtesy of my older brother's record collection. I was ten. So the live version of Sympathy was the first time I ever heard the song. Later I went back and discovered the albums that came before Ya Yas and it blew my mind how different the original was. But I could tell right away that this was something special about the Stones - how they could take their songs and transform them into something new and different for the stage. That Ya Yas SFTD still rocks my socks off some 40+ years on!

Date: February 24, 2012 18:17

which guitar keith used? Dan Armstrong? 345? Any of them?

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 18:20

His Majesty
71Tele
His Majesty

Mom!?

you just found these or made them yourself? in any case stop it and listen to beggars banquet some more !

Date: February 24, 2012 18:33

^ Yes sir!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 19:23 by His Majesty.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 18:54

I consider the band's Taylor era to be the second golden era. I find no reason to quibble about the Taylor era or the Jones era. I consider the band's masterpieces to be BB and Ya-Ya's. LIB is an continuation of what was started with BB. SF and Exile are different fish. But I think BB and Ya-Ya's are recordings the band was born to make. The former is startling for its vision, maturity and production. There is little in what came before that prepares you for it. I remember when it came out. It was a headphones recording worthy of close listens. You knew right away that something was going here. The band was on to something. The feel of that recording is extraordinary. It is straightforward and thrilling.

Ya-Ya's is such an enduring recording for a number of reasons, but I credit Keith. For those of you who did not have the opportunity to see him play in '69, I wish there were better video documents. Again, what Keith did in '69 was what he was born to do. Simple sounding, straightforward rhythms (that are not simple at all) with very little embellishment. The music was coming out of his body, his fingers, wrists, elbows and knees. It was totally seductive. His musical vision was clear. It was a delicious moment in time. What came after...came after.

Date: February 24, 2012 19:43

Hi pmk251, I agree about 1969 being their peak.

I remember you saying you were at one of the 1969 shows - would you care to relate your memories of the gig?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home