Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Sympathy For The Devil - Get Yer Ya Yas Out
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: February 21, 2012 22:48

I frequently return to this masterpiece of guitar playing and did so today as I was motoring around...I know it was taken from the MSG gig but just wondered if there is any footage of that song...it must have been filmed as other songs from that night were used in Gimme Shelter. Also was it heavily overdubbed or is the recording fairly true to the live experience?

Re: Sympathy For The Devil - Get Yer Ya Yas Out
Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 22:58

I would love an official release of the full Ya yas concert on DVD. For me its a must have. I've searched for a long time for footage SFTD but never found anything. THE highlight of Ya yas for me!

Date: February 21, 2012 23:03

Me too ...I don't think they ever bettered that version. It must be laid in a vault somewhere.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 21, 2012 23:07

crumbling_mice
Me too ...I don't think they ever bettered that version.

There's an album with either a white cover or a phototiled toilet as the cover, Beggars something!? ... it contains the best Sympathy For The Devil. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 23:07 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 23:08

I would love an official release of the full Ya yas concert on DVD. For me its a must have. I've searched for a long time for footage SFTD but never found anything. THE highlight of Ya yas for me!

[youtu.be]

Date: February 21, 2012 23:22

His Majesty
crumbling_mice

There's an album with either a white cover or a phototiled toilet as the cover, Beggars something!? ... it contains the best Sympathy For The Devil. grinning smiley

I still think GYYO is way better...the band is on fire and the energy mind blowing...I love Beggars Banquet but it's almost a different song on there

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 21, 2012 23:22

His Majesty
crumbling_mice

Because of Brian's solowork on it, I guess? cool smiley

Date: February 21, 2012 23:24

smileys with beer
kleermaker
His Majesty
crumbling_mice

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 21, 2012 23:26

crumbling_mice
I frequently return to this masterpiece of guitar playing and did so today as I was motoring around...I know it was taken from the MSG gig but just wondered if there is any footage of that song...it must have been filmed as other songs from that night were used in Gimme Shelter. Also was it heavily overdubbed or is the recording fairly true to the live experience?

One verse was edited out, available on several boots. Rest is all original.

Mathijs

Date: February 21, 2012 23:26

kleermaker
His Majesty
crumbling_mice

Because of the great song writing by Mick and great performances by Mick, Keith, Charlie and Nicky.

>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 23:38 by His Majesty.

Date: February 21, 2012 23:27

crumbling_mice
I love Beggars Banquet but it's almost a different song on there

Well it kind of is, cos it's not even the full song on ya ya's. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 23:28 by His Majesty.

Date: February 21, 2012 23:34

Mathijs
crumbling_mice

One verse was edited out, available on several boots. Rest is all original.

Mathijs

Cheers Mathijs...so I'm guessing which ever company has the film rights to Gimme Shelter must have it on film...would that be the Maysles. Doesn't make sense that such a great version has never been released when they released other songs from that show.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 21, 2012 23:37

I do not think it was among the songs filmed...the MSG shows from that stand all all pretty hot.

Date: February 21, 2012 23:45

dadrob
I do not think it was among the songs filmed...the MSG shows from that stand all all pretty hot.

I find that hard to believe that they went to all the trouble to set up the cameras and mics just to film specific songs. Surely they would have filmed the whole gig (they weren't long shows in those days) and then selected the best afterwards?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 21, 2012 23:48

Here's another interesting version of Sympathy live 1969 (Baltimore). The 'Hey Jude'-version.

Date: February 21, 2012 23:49

watch the reels that are on the extended Ya Yas set......like the filming of the Last Waltz the camera operators took time out to reload the film (how quaint) and keep the gear right.those things were heavy and got hot..I genuinely doubt there was not complete coverage.
I do wish there were though

Date: February 21, 2012 23:57

dadrob
watch the reels that are on the extended Ya Yas set......like the filming of the Last Waltz the camera operators took time out to reload the film (how quaint) and keep the gear right.those things were heavy and got hot..I genuinely doubt there was not complete coverage.
I do wish there were though

Good Point and maybe SFTD at that time wasn't the considered as one of the main songs as it was later...the likes of JJF, SFM taking presidence.

Kleermaker, thanks for posting that I hadn't heard that one before - Love it!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 22, 2012 00:29

Hey Guys,

The Maysles Bros. DO have SFTD on film!!! they have shown the complete concert
a couple of times for selected audiences and one of them said he is trying to get the Stones to allow release of the film... Keep your fingers crossed!!!

MLC

Date: February 22, 2012 00:47

hopefully the brother that is still alive is trying.the dead brother's efforts would be less effectivewinking smiley

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 00:48

Even during Woodstock they missed filming some performances, remember how long ago it was, not as easy to set up as is is today.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 22, 2012 00:55

MCDDTLC
Hey Guys,

The Maysles Bros. DO have SFTD on film!!! they have shown the complete concert
a couple of times for selected audiences and one of them said he is trying to get the Stones to allow release of the film... Keep your fingers crossed!!!

MLC

So what change have taken place since the 2008 screening ? :
In 2008, this was posted

Date: January 7, 2008 19:15
Damn!!! The folks over at Mayles org. are saying: NO plans on releasing this
extra footage they have... One shot deal from the other night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 01:01 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 22, 2012 03:47

His Majesty
crumbling_mice

Nope. Live Ya-Ya's is THE BEST period.

Date: February 22, 2012 04:23

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
His Majesty
crumbling_mice

What the hell has female menstrual cycle got to do with it!? grinning smiley>grinning smiley<

And yes of course, live versions of songs with an entire verse edited out are so fantastic! eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 04:25 by His Majesty.

Date: February 22, 2012 05:30

His Majesty
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
His Majesty
crumbling_mice

What the hell has female menstrual cycle got to do with it!? grinning smiley>grinning smiley<

And yes of course, live versions of songs with an entire verse edited out are so fantastic! eye rolling smiley

It's the record label - not the Stones or your feminine hygiene products - for editing out that verse. No matter - still the BEST version of it ever.

Date: February 22, 2012 05:36

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
His Majesty
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
His Majesty
crumbling_mice

It's the record label - not the Stones or your feminine hygiene products - for editing out that verse. No matter - still the BEST version of it ever.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 05:41

Yeah, even with the edit, GYYYO's Sympathy is the definitive version. Incendiary.

Date: February 22, 2012 05:59

whitem8
Yeah, even with the edit, GYYYO's Sympathy is the definitive version. Incendiary.

An incomplete version of a song is no definitive version.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:07

In your opinion. But the version on GYYYO is pure bliss. The guitar dueling is in credible, and I for one don't even notice the edit. Why, because it is all just so sublime. I haven't heard a better version yet.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:13

whitem8
In your opinion. But the version on GYYYO is pure bliss. The guitar dueling is in credible, and I for one don't even notice the edit. Why, because it is all just so sublime. I haven't heard a better version yet.

This tells me you are not listening to it as a song. The unedited version is better because it is complete, the song and the performance, but the definitive version is the studio vesion.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:18

Quit being so pompous and telling me and others what I/we am hearing. And that I haven't listened to the music. That is just being plain arrogant and foolish. It comes to personal taste. I prefer GYYYO much better. The studio version is good, but also somewhat boring. Keith's guitar on it sound tinny and not as menacing as the beautiful licks that he summons live. And then there is Mick Taylor that elevates the song to a whole new level. Live, it is far more menacing and forceful. IN MY OPINION. In fact the edit shows they were looking at creating a different experience and they wanted to highlight the guitar duel at the end. By removing the last coda it does just that and you creates far more emphasis on the sublime interaction between Keith and Mick T. Brilliant.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home