Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14
Re: OT: RIP Whitney Houston
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: February 20, 2012 22:27

humanriff77
12 pages of Whitney Who?ston you gotta laugh...........................

Get a life bozos

To quote Blue Oyster Cult "20`000 men and women everyday"

I'm with you. It's shameful that this thread has more comments than the stickies about Mick/Keith's performances combined. SHe was a great singer, but in the grand scheme of things she really didn't matter like an Aretha, an Etta, Big Mama Thorton, or even Amy Winehouse.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 21, 2012 01:49

Max'sKansasCity
Stoneage
And here is another question: The US police: Is it as incompetent as its Swedish counterpart? I mean our celebrities sometimes get busted and jailed for dealing with cocaine, or just taking it. Why did they never arrest her? That maybe could have helped her in the end.

Not that I agree or disagree with that policy... but I am reminded how flabbergasted I was back when it was common knowledge (printed in the newspapers and on said on the radio) that Charlie Sheen was having 1/2 pounds of cocaine delivered to his house in breifcases.... I was surprised to hear that in the news.... I mean if you knew someone and they were doing that, you might not even talk about it on the phone, let alone brag about it in the news.... what about the cops?

The only conclusion you can derive from this is that the US federal police are payed by the celebs not to arrest them. You could probably have tested Miss Houston or Mr Sheen at any moment and they would have had residues of cocaine (or other illegal substances) in their blood. You don't have to call on Scotland Yard, it's a no-brainer. Still they don't do it...

If Whitney had been arrested and sentenced for it it might would have helped her in the end. Because then she would have had to come clean about her addiction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 01:53 by Stoneage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 21, 2012 01:52

fiftyamp
humanriff77

Get a life bozos

I'm with you. It's shameful that this thread has more comments than the stickies about Mick/Keith's performances combined. SHe was a great singer, but in the grand scheme of things she really didn't matter like an Aretha, an Etta, Big Mama Thorton, or even Amy Winehouse.

Shameful? What an odd word to use. If you want it to go away, then quit posting.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 21, 2012 05:27

Stoneage
Max'sKansasCity
Stoneage
And here is another question: The US police: Is it as incompetent as its Swedish counterpart? I mean our celebrities sometimes get busted and jailed for dealing with cocaine, or just taking it. Why did they never arrest her? That maybe could have helped her in the end.

Not that I agree or disagree with that policy... but I am reminded how flabbergasted I was back when it was common knowledge (printed in the newspapers and on said on the radio) that Charlie Sheen was having 1/2 pounds of cocaine delivered to his house in breifcases.... I was surprised to hear that in the news.... I mean if you knew someone and they were doing that, you might not even talk about it on the phone, let alone brag about it in the news.... what about the cops?

The only conclusion you can derive from this is that the US federal police are payed by the celebs not to arrest them. You could probably have tested Miss Houston or Mr Sheen at any moment and they would have had residues of cocaine (or other illegal substances) in their blood. You don't have to call on Scotland Yard, it's a no-brainer. Still they don't do it...

If Whitney had been arrested and sentenced for it it might would have helped her in the end. Because then she would have had to come clean about her addiction.
This isn't Russia or China where you can just arrest people for no reason. Again,their are probably millions of people all over the world who have subsatance abuse problems. Are they all paying the Police off to leave them alone? You really have no idea what your talking about.

Date: February 21, 2012 06:24

sweetcharmedlife
Stoneage
Max'sKansasCity
Stoneage

This isn't Russia or China where you can just arrest people for no reason. Again,their are probably millions of people all over the world who have subsatance abuse problems. Are they all paying the Police off to leave them alone? You really have no idea what your talking about.

Haven't I, SCL? Half the world knew she was doing drugs. She even did crack cocaine with Bobby in the backseat of her car in front of her 7-year daughter according to her chauffeur. There are dozens of witnesses in her proximity. Of course the police was aware of it - and still they did nothing. I was exaggerating when I said they were paid, they most certainly weren't. But they didn't do their job. Of course they must have had a legitimate ground to search her according to the rule of law. I am not proposing unlawfulness.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 21, 2012 06:53

loved the olivia and travolta video. dude, love your humor.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 21, 2012 06:54

Stoneage, very disappointed in your tabloid point of view. I thought better of you than that.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 21, 2012 10:49

You are in fantasyland Humanriff to pretend that an unknown from a nearly unknown band can be compared to Whitney Houston. The world has expanded in a thousand directions since when Rock music ruled. Whitney meant something to millions of people whether you like it or not or agree or not. It's both a real outpouring of grief and a media sham at the same time. I couldn't give a rat's ass when Kurt Kobain killed himself, but millions did care. The moral of the story is to simply respect the plurality of opinion around here. There is nothing wrong with discussing Whitney Houston.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 21, 2012 12:17

stupidguy2
steel driving hammer
Lisa Fisher has a greater vocal range than Whitney...

And Im sure there is someone out there who can play more notes than Jimi Hendrix standing upside down....
Technical skill doesn't equate with being a great artist, interpreter.

exactly "skill doesnt equate with being a great artist". imo whitney had nothing but fantastic skills. her voice had no soul, neither had her music. she had no taste and her songs were way to polished. amy winehouse for instance had more musical substance even when she was just mumbling some drunk words.
again: sorry for all who loved her and her music. but to be honest: the big media hype still kinda iritates me.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 21, 2012 12:33

guitarbastard

amy winehouse for instance had more musical substance even when she was just mumbling some drunk words.
again: sorry for all who loved her and her music. but to be honest: the big media hype still kinda iritates me.

I liked Amy. Back To Black was an enjoyable album, but I would take Whitneys finest over Tears Dry On Their Own and Rehab. So Emotional, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, How Will I Know... these are classics. I don't care about 'musical substance' I just like a good pop record - and Whitney had bucket loads.

Date: February 21, 2012 14:03

stonesrule
Stoneage, very disappointed in your tabloid point of view. I thought better of you than that.

I understand your point of view, Stonesrule. I didn't want to mention her addiction in the first place. But since it's not a secret that she had serious problems with drug abuse I wanted to state that, perhaps, if she had been caught by the law earlier on she might have been able to be more honest with her problems and, maybe, therefore could have had a chance to quit her habits. Habits that, so tragically, killed her in the end. Then I got caught in a discussion with SCL about how effective the US police is in dealing with celebs drug abuse. Not effective at all according to me but SCL has another point of view here. Earlier in the thread I have already stated my regards for Whitney Houston. She was a favourite of mine.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 21, 2012 16:22

Very Classy.....Whitney-houston-funeral-family-sells-footage moody smiley
[www.tmz.com]

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:11

Looks like my well thought through post has been censored, thats disappointing confused smiley hadnt expected that from IORR

Date: February 21, 2012 17:20

humanriff77
Looks like my well thought through post has been censored, thats disappointing confused smiley hadnt expected that from IORR

humanriff77

Get a life bozos

Are you referring to the post above (as it's still there), or an even MORE well thought through post?

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:20

Toxicology report still not in,so get ready for more pages or posts when it happens.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:37

2 beauties:

One ugly mess:

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:39

treaclefingers
humanriff77

humanriff77

Get a life bozos

Another 40,000 come everyday .......

Are you referring to the post above (as it's still there), or an even MORE well thought through post?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 18:30

Another post, a long diatribe in the best possible taste has been nuked, no idea why!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 18:31 by humanriff77.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:00

"she really didn't matter like an Aretha, an Etta, Big Mama Thorton, or even Amy Winehouse"

At last some wisdom in this thread... thumbs up

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:01

I was staying outta this one, but after seeing this article, here ya go...

[news.yahoo.com]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:06

Oh man.

I guess that Whitney family, friends and fans should just be ashamed for loving her.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:10

What is it about the death of a human being that brings out the bad in people on this board? I try not to take this place so seriously but then I see some people that seem to act as if their day is ruined because people are discussing Whitney Houston and they want to devalue her life as if she was a talentless nobody to no one and it leaves me scratching my head that fans of a band that I love can sometimes be so crass. But then I remind myself that this is the internet and people will say things under the cloak of anonymity that they normally wouldn't say.

Date: February 21, 2012 19:22

Stoneage
stonesrule

I understand your point of view, Stonesrule. I didn't want to mention her addiction in the first place. But since it's not a secret that she had serious problems with drug abuse I wanted to state that, perhaps, if she had been caught by the law earlier on she might have been able to be more honest with her problems and, maybe, therefore could have had a chance to quit her habits. Habits that, so tragically, killed her in the end. Then I got caught in a discussion with SCL about how effective the US police is in dealing with celebs drug abuse. Not effective at all according to me but SCL has another point of view here. Earlier in the thread I have already stated my regards for Whitney Houston. She was a favourite of mine.
You keep mentioning her problems with crack and the police should of done something about.What you fail to recognize is thae she died from an overdose of alcohol and prescription drugs. Both legal. The woman died as a result of her own excess. Don't try to blame poor american policing for that. Might as well blame British police for not stopping Amy Winehouse before she killed herself.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:33

Max'sKansasCity
Maybe what we need is an Olivia Newton John thread.

Her favorite workout song is Brown Sugar. [www.npr.org]

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:55

GumbootCloggeroo
What is it about the death of a human being that brings out the bad in people on this board? I try not to take this place so seriously but then I see some people that seem to act as if their day is ruined because people are discussing Whitney Houston and they want to devalue her life as if she was a talentless nobody to no one and it leaves me scratching my head that fans of a band that I love can sometimes be so crass. But then I remind myself that this is the internet and people will say things under the cloak of anonymity that they normally wouldn't say.

Happens with anyone famous dies. I was at work at the office when MJ died, the tv was one...and barely three hours later one coworker grumbled, 'I'm sick of hearing about him already - he wasn't that great.'
That kind of 'Ehh...who cares..' is part of some people's nature. I don't think they're mean people or necessarily cold - just cynical and blasé, shortsighted. They don't seem the grasp the cultural impact (yes, impact) of certain celebrity deaths...and they think they're removed from it. They are. That' can't relate to a general grief or sense of sadness.
With WH and others, part of the tragedy was how we watched her life unravel...it reminds some of us of people we may know, or it just reminds of us of that fame does not protect someone from self-destruction..reminding us that these celebrities are indeed human. And its just human to care., to be touched. Some people do, others don't.

Date: February 21, 2012 19:59

stupidguy2
GumbootCloggeroo

Happens with anyone famous dies. I was at work at the office when MJ died, the tv was one...and barely three hours later one coworker grumbled, 'I'm sick of hearing about him already - he wasn't that great.'
That kind of 'Ehh...who cares..' is part of some people's nature. I don't think they're mean people or necessarily cold - just cynical and blasé, shortsighted. They don't seem the grasp the cultural impact (yes, impact) of certain celebrity deaths...and they think they're removed from it. They are. That' can't relate to a general grief or sense of sadness.
With WH and others, part of the tragedy was how we watched her life unravel...it reminds some of us of people we may know, or it just reminds of us of that fame does not protect someone from self-destruction..reminding us that these celebrities are indeed human. And its just human to care., to be touched. Some people do, others don't.

What kills me is the group that 'devalue' her by suggesting that the substance abuse was 'her own fault', implying in some way she deserved it.

I don't hear that same feeling towards Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis or any other number of musicians that have travelled down this path. A bit of hyprocrisy if you ask me (which I understand no one is!).

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 21, 2012 20:12

treaclefingers
What kills me is the group that 'devalue' her by suggesting that the substance abuse was 'her own fault', implying in some way she deserved it.

I don't hear that same feeling towards Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis or any other number of musicians that have travelled down this path. A bit of hyprocrisy if you ask me (which I understand no one is!).
Exactly.
An artist whom one likes dies because of drugs = sad. a tragedy. Let's remember them forever.
An artist whom one dislikes dies because of drugs = whatever. who cares. another crackhead dead. Move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 20:13 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: February 21, 2012 21:06

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
GumbootCloggeroo

No she didn't deserve it. But their is no one else to blame than herself.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 21, 2012 22:21

Whitney-houston-autopsy-valium-xanax-alcohol,so there you go...

[www.radaronline.com]

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 23:52

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
GumbootCloggeroo

Yeah, I've found that rock fans in particular, love to deride artists like Houston, Courtney Love, Amy Winehouse... or love to make jokes about Lindsey Lohan regarding her drug/party issues.
Very hypocritcal.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home