Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14
Re: OT: RIP Whitney Houston
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 19, 2012 08:07

stonesrule
Thanks for all just above.

Did many of you watch the CNN lengthy broacast at Whitney's childhood church today or just those posting on this page.

As I read many current threads I am amazed at those who don't seem to feel any sense of humanity.

I watched most of it, very emotional and moving. Stevie Wonder did a nice tribute. He is one artist that improves as he ages. Too bad the area around the Church is a dump.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 19, 2012 13:42

Max'sKansasCity
Mathijs
Man, I went to have bite for a few hours, only to come back to found out that our big man in the sky censored the fact that I have the opinion that our Lisa has a black womens voice, just as Miss Houston had. And Aretha, and Etha, and Dionne, and Dianne, and....

When I sing, I have a very white man's voice. And a bad one for sure!

Mathijs

Believe it or not, this thread is not about you.

He thinks it's always about him.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 19, 2012 15:26

Obviously, there are no fans of gospel music on this board. That maybe explains why some posters seemed to be offended by this thread. Gospel were Miss Houston's true roots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 15:59 by Stoneage.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 19, 2012 15:54

And Gospel has more soul than anything. So anyone that says Whitney had no soul in her singing is deaf.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 19, 2012 17:52

Soul IS soul. And not fade away.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 19, 2012 21:00

Stoneage
Obviously, there are no fans of gospel music on this board. That maybe explains why some posters seemed to be offended by this thread. Gospel were Miss Houston's true roots.

I didn't want to say that - didn't want to presume anything but that's got be part of it. Clive Davis placed WH on a trajectory that would highlight that voice. In the 80s, pop, the kind of the 'slick' pop people associated with WH became her bread and butter. In that sense, she was a product of her times. But it was gospel that really showcased that fire she had, that ability to transcend a song and turn it into an experience. How can you listen to 'I Look To You' and not be moved? I think it was her best latter-day performance because of everything she had been through.
You can also say that "I Will Always Love You" is a perfect example of how her gospel roots could transform a song. I love Dolly - its her song, but WH lifted it into a different stratosphere ....those who claim to like Dolly's version and call WH's version histrionic are missing the point, was she supposed to sing it like Dolly? She made it bigger, more majestic. Dolly would be the first to say that,

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 19, 2012 21:54

And Dolly HAS said it. She's very proud of what Whitney did with her song. She told this to Whitney, to Clive Davis and to many others.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 19, 2012 21:56

Thief in the Night reminds of gospel music.

Date: February 20, 2012 01:00

stonesrule
And Dolly HAS said it. She's very proud of what Whitney did with her song. She told this to Whitney, to Clive Davis and to many others.

There was a TMZ report where Dolly had to retract a few words about the song after WH died.
Dolly had said she was grateful for what she did on "my song" -
an innocent reference deconstructed by the likes of TMZ. It was her song - an to me, that really is the supreme compliment: someone who takes something you wrote, created, and does something you never could have done with it and you are grateful for it. Dolly had to re-word a public statement, calling it "our song".....she shouldn't have had to retract anything from that comment. Only TMZ would turn that into something else.....Dolly has always expressed nothing but admiration for what WH was able to do with her song. As a songwriter, this is the biggest honor. Its like if you write a song, and Aretha Franklin makes it iconic. Its still your song, but Aretha took it to another level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 01:01 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:02

stupidguy2
stonesrule

There was a TMZ report where Dolly had to retract a few words about the song after WH died.
Dolly had said she was grateful for what she did on "my song" -
an innocent reference deconstructed by the likes of TMZ. It was her song - an to me, that really is the supreme compliment: someone who takes something you wrote, created, and does something you never could have done with it and you are grateful for it. Dolly had to re-word a public statement, calling it "our song".....she shouldn't have had to retract anything from that comment. Only TMZ would turn that into something else.....Dolly has always expressed nothing but admiration for what WH was able to do with her song. As a songwriter, this is the biggest honor. Its like if you write a song, and Aretha Franklin makes it iconic. Its still your song, but Aretha took it to another level.
-
Yes...show a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T TMZ!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 01:03 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:06

always thought that her tragic private life was alot more touching then her "empty", polished, boring music, she didnt even write on her own. really sad for those who loved here of course, but musicaly its not a great loss. she was technicaly great, but thats about it....

Date: February 20, 2012 01:07

guitarbastard
always thought that her tragic private life was alot more touching then her "empty", polished, boring music, she didnt even write on her own. really sad for those who loved here of course, but musicaly its not a great loss. she was technicaly great, but thats about it....

yeah, just like Elvis and Frank Sinatra. Those 'interpreters' of other's music really suck.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:34

treaclefingers
guitarbastard

yeah, just like Elvis and Frank Sinatra. Those 'interpreters' of other's music really suck.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:27

am i the only one sick and tired of the houston hoopla? she is dead. move on.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:34

Midnight Toker
am i the only one sick and tired of the houston hoopla? she is dead. move on.

Agreed. RIP Whitney. May god take you home.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 20, 2012 09:41

Still listening to her. Run To You is the favourite this morning eye rolling smiley

There was an interesting piece in a British tabloid yesterday about her sexuality and how homophobia, the industry and church pressure is partly responsible for her downfall. Even Bobby Brown alluded to how their marriage was a sham in his autobiography. All news to me, anyway.

Date: February 20, 2012 17:47

Maybe you are on to something there, Big Al. You can't help wondering why a woman that was given everything - looks, talent, fortune - throws away all that to become a stupid cokehead. It's a veritable tragedy.

Date: February 20, 2012 17:52

Lisa Fisher has a greater vocal range than Whitney...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 20, 2012 17:55

So does Freddie Mercury, what's your point?

Date: February 20, 2012 18:09

And here is another question: The US police: Is it as incompetent as its Swedish counterpart? I mean our celebrities sometimes get busted and jailed for dealing with cocaine, or just taking it. Why did they never arrest her? That maybe could have helped her in the end.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 20, 2012 18:26

Stoneage
And here is another question: The US police: Is it as incompetent as its Swedish counterpart? I mean our celebrities sometimes get busted and jailed for dealing with cocaine, or just taking it. Why did they never arrest her? That maybe could have helped her in the end.

Not that I agree or disagree with that policy... but I am reminded how flabbergasted I was back when it was common knowledge (printed in the newspapers and on said on the radio) that Charlie Sheen was having 1/2 pounds of cocaine delivered to his house in breifcases.... I was surprised to hear that in the news.... I mean if you knew someone and they were doing that, you might not even talk about it on the phone, let alone brag about it in the news.... what about the cops?

Date: February 20, 2012 18:59

steel driving hammer
Lisa Fisher has a greater vocal range than Whitney...

And Im sure there is someone out there who can play more notes than Jimi Hendrix standing upside down....
Technical skill doesn't equate with being a great artist, interpreter.

Date: February 20, 2012 19:47

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
stupidguy2
humanriff77
12 pages of Whitney Who?ston you gotta laugh...........................

Get a life bozos

To quote Blue Oyster Cult "20`000 men and women everyday"

I often wonder if 'rock' fans are the most narrow-minded fans out there...its like you can't relate to anything outside your frame of reference....

whaddya mean? Some of my best friends go around quotin' Blue Oyster Cult. It's a thang.
LOL

.'.RIP
Whitney
Houston

It appears that a number of Stones fans were moved by this tragedy...I agree though, we should probably let this thread go now. RIP WH.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 20, 2012 21:59

Stoneage
If they fouund her with something to arrest her for they would of. Their are thousands of people who break laws and don't get caught.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 20, 2012 22:03

humanriff77

Get a life bozos
What's worse,12 pages on Whitney or 7 pages on Dirty Work?eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: February 20, 2012 22:10

Maybe what we need is an Olivia Newton John thread.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 20, 2012 22:14

sweetcharmedlife
Stoneage
If they fouund her with something to arrest her for they would of. Their are thousands of people who break laws and don't get caught.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 20, 2012 22:15

Max'sKansasCity
Maybe what we need is an Olivia Newton John thread.

Oh Lord... Please don't give anyone THAT idea. Although... There were times when I'd have been willing to get physical w/ ONJ and I did always have a thing for Sandy...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 20, 2012 22:16

Chris Fountain
sweetcharmedlife
Stoneage

LOL!!! Instant IORR classic. smoking smiley
and yes that is illegal in many parts of many states

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 22:19 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 20, 2012 22:24

sweetcharmedlife
humanriff77

Get a life bozos
What's worse,12 pages on Whitney or 7 pages on Dirty Work?eye rolling smiley

Good one.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home