Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14
Re: OT: RIP Whitney Houston
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 14, 2012 20:00

In the history of IORR has scolding someone ever had success here? has it ever set anyone right, changed their position? EVER?
anyway......

Whitney sure had a great voice, she will live forever along with other muscial greats.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: February 14, 2012 20:07

Max'sKansasCity
Whitney sure had a great voice, she will live forever along with other muscial greats.

Feel good fluff. To say that there had better be a huge list of musical greats.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 14, 2012 20:09

brianwalker
Max'sKansasCity

Date: February 14, 2012 20:12

NoCode0680
brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker
I have not been posting much at all about her death. I have been posting about the constant need to try and build up any famous person who dies. For some very strange reason.

I'd say trying to tear down a famous person who died is just as strange as building them up.

Who is trying to tear her down? I said its sad for her and her family. She had a great voice years ago, and she was a popular singer years ago. What I just posted is the way it is. Not sure why anyone would say thats tearing her down.

I dont feel the need to Exaggerate her just because she died. I don't feel the need to say things about her that I wouldn't have said a week ago. Thats when it starts to get silly and when eyes start to roll.

Well you did say: "All we are missing from WH dying is articles in scandel magazines about her drug use. Thats it."

I'd call that tearing her down.

You also said that YOU are getting tired of the fact that when people die they get all this attention. What does it matter to you, and how does it hurt you what people think? You said her death didn't affect one person on this board, well people talking about her death doesn't affect you. So why the need to whine about it? If you're tired of it, and you don't want to hear about it, you didn't have to open this thread. Of course doing so would rob you of the chance to "tell people how it is", because you're naturally the only person who can do so.

Live and let live dude. If you don't care about Whitney or care that she's dead, that's fine. I personally didn't care all that much for her music, and her death didn't really affect me any more than most stranger's death would. Whenever any celebrity that I grew up with dies (whether I liked them or not) I always find it kind of sad. Hearing about them dying makes me think of growing up, and their death sort of drives home the idea that we're all marching towards the inevitable. But I'm not holding a candlelight vigil for her.

If you're tired of this stuff, you're in for a long life of being annoyed, so buck up and get used to it. This is the world of the 24 hour news cycle, and any celebrity death is going to be big news. Look at all the hooplah over Ann Nicole Smith's death, and she didn't have any discernible talent that I could see, other than having huge knockers.

Bottom line, if you don't care, don't get involved in the conversation. You're not being held hostage in this thread. You purposely clicked on it and joined in because you felt the need to tell people how it really is and how they should feel.

So you are saying that there was more to WH at this point then news of WH in scandel magazines? Really.

So if you KNOW that 24 hour news is out of control and you express it then you are the problem..OK..

There is nothing wrong with having a conversation about the need of other people to build up anyone who dies. Nothing at all..And who is mad. I call fluff when I see it thats all, and I notced others on this board being knocked for calling it like it is.

Date: February 14, 2012 20:13

treaclefingers
brianwalker
treaclefingers
brianwalker
stupidguy2
Justin
Right on stupidguy2. A heartbeat is a heartbeat--any way you look at it.

I don't think people realize just where this "indifference" really stems from. I put the blame squarely on our media: TV and the internet. It's gotten so bad now that death has become this place that we send our troubled celebrities when we're just tried of reading/hearing about them on the news. People start to wish death on them just to get them out of their hair: "Thank God you're dead. Now I don't have to hear about you anymore." I suspect most people aren't aware of this but they'd rather go with the more accessible (but flawed) "you don't even know her" or "she was going to die any day now anyway" logic.

When I first started surfing the net, more than 15 years ago, I was always amazed at some of the comments posted about certain people, things.
So I think the internet has just made their callousness accepted, or has given it a forum. I have a friend who is this cynical and whenever someone famous dies -
'I'm so sick of hearing about so-and-so - they were'nt that great..'
Its the inevitable response and I think it must be just part of some people's nature to be that dismissive or unmoved, unless its somebody they care about.
The notion that you can't feel something over a famous person's death or you can only feel bad for someones whose musical style you like, is shallow.
Houston's trajectory is, I think, what makes people feel sadness because we all watched it, Just like we may have watched it with people we know personally....that makes it relatable and human - to care about someone you didn't know.

I get tired of the fact that when ever someone famous dies people who didn't know the person have to go out of their way to make it seem like they are really effected by the death. WH has done nothig in years. I am sure most on this board have never thought much of her music. But read the posts. Its like posters feel like they have to say something positive and give their feelings. Rubbish. Hey guys..Neither WH or her family are reading this board. And God help anyone who says they didn't live her music. Its like you slapped another poster in the mouth.

All we are missing from WH dying is articles in scandel magazines about her drug use. Thats it. Just like all we missed from Lennon dying is some average later day pop songs. All we mised from Elvis dying was a fat way past his prime singer, singing old songs. Why is there the need to act like the world is going to miss a person everytime they die. Its very annoying.

Its a shame for her family, and that a life ended short, but it doesn't effect one person on IORR. I wish people stopped the forced caring, and stop feeling the need to build WH up just because she died.

bri...did someone take a piss in your cheerios this morning? eye rolling smiley

Posting the obvious doesn't exactly mean someone took a piss in my cherios. Just call sillyness and hype when I see it.

Why would a few people expressing condolences get you all angry? don't post in this thread if you don't like it, but you're showing zero class right now.

So calling something like it is is showing zero class? Give me a break. I am saying about WH what everyone else was saying last week. Don't get the need to Exaggerate because someone dies.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 14, 2012 20:15

Maybe because it's a once in a lifetime experience? cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: February 14, 2012 20:16

brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker
I have not been posting much at all about her death. I have been posting about the constant need to try and build up any famous person who dies. For some very strange reason.

I'd say trying to tear down a famous person who died is just as strange as building them up.

Who is trying to tear her down? I said its sad for her and her family. She had a great voice years ago, and she was a popular singer years ago. What I just posted is the way it is. Not sure why anyone would say thats tearing her down.

I dont feel the need to Exaggerate her just because she died. I don't feel the need to say things about her that I wouldn't have said a week ago. Thats when it starts to get silly and when eyes start to roll.

Well you did say: "All we are missing from WH dying is articles in scandel magazines about her drug use. Thats it."

You also said that YOU are getting tired of the fact that when people die they get all this attention. What does it matter to you, and how does it hurt you what people think? You said her death didn't affect one person on this board, well people talking about her death doesn't affect you. So why the need to whine about it? If you're tired of it, and you don't want to hear about it, you didn't have to open this thread. Of course doing so would rob you of the chance to "tell people how it is", because you're naturally the only person who can do so.

Live and let live dude. If you don't care about Whitney or care that she's dead, that's fine. I personally didn't care all that much for her music, and her death didn't really affect me any more than most stranger's death would. Whenever any celebrity that I grew up with dies (whether I liked them or not) I always find it kind of sad. Hearing about them dying makes me think of growing up, and their death sort of drives home the idea that we're all marching towards the inevitable. But I'm not holding a candlelight vigil for her.

If you're tired of this stuff, you're in for a long life of being annoyed, so buck up and get used to it. This is the world of the 24 hour news cycle, and any celebrity death is going to be big news. Look at all the hooplah over Ann Nicole Smith's death, and she didn't have any discernible talent that I could see, other than having huge knockers.

Bottom line, if you don't care, don't get involved in the conversation. You're not being held hostage in this thread. You purposely clicked on it and joined in because you felt the need to tell people how it really is and how they should feel.

So you are saying that there was more to WH at this point then news of WH in scandel magazines? Really.

So if you KNOW that 24 hour news is out of control and you express it then you are the problem..OK..

There is nothing wrong with having a conversation about the need of other people to build up anyone who dies. Nothing at all..And who is mad. I call fluff when I see it thats all, and I notced others on this board being knocked for calling it like it is.

How could I be part of the solution then? Whine about the 24 hour news cycle on a Rolling Stones message board? That'll show 'em.

I don't think there is any problem with expressing your opinion. Your problem is that you insist your opinion is "like it is". That's pretty pompous. You have no respect for people's opinions, just your own.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 14, 2012 20:24

Rest In Peace

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 14, 2012 20:27

It's just the way it is folks. Regardless which direction a large group of people are moving towards, there's always someone on the polar opposite side who crashes in with their radical/"it's like it is"/superhero "perspective." It's basically them refusing to go with the crowd, not wanting to be grouped in with others.

Incidentally, I really would like to know what these people had to say when Elvis, Marilyn, Jimi, Jim and Janis all died? The whole thing about them dying at their prime vs their old age is crap. How selfish is that logic? "Oh, I don't care anymore that they're dead...you already gave us all your best music fifteen years ago. Thanks, you can go now."

Date: February 14, 2012 20:27

NoCode0680
brianwalker
Max'sKansasCity

LOL!!.. Thanks for the belly laugh NoCode...
that is really funny, and probably an accurate picture.

Date: February 14, 2012 20:30

Justin
..... Incidentally, I really would like to know what these people had to say when Elvis, Marilyn, Jimi, Jim and Janis all died?....

I am willing to bet that you really dont want to know,
just sayin.... after you heard it anyways.... probably wish you hadnt.

Date: February 14, 2012 20:34

NoCode0680
brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker

How could I be part of the solution then? Whine about the 24 hour news cycle on a Rolling Stones message board? That'll show 'em.

I don't think there is any problem with expressing your opinion. Your problem is that you insist your opinion is "like it is". That's pretty pompous. You have no respect for people's opinions, just your own.

Then show me what is wrong with my opinion. I have ben told I was wrong when I said WH wasn't relevant and hadn't be in years. When I asked if she was relevant last week, I got no answer. Because of course she wasn't relevant as a singer last week.

Its like because she died some people feel the need to build her up. Its very strange and it goes on every single time a celeb dies. Its called fluff and its silly.

One thng i noticed the other night. When MJ died all the news channels were saying he has no competition, he was the king, there was nobody in his class. Then the other night I saw news stories right away that said she was right up there with MJ. Just rolled my eyes. Not sure why people have this need.

Date: February 14, 2012 20:38

Another Whitney video you say? ...sure, no problem.... how about this one....

Date: February 14, 2012 20:46

Max'sKansasCity
NoCode0680
brianwalker
Max'sKansasCity

LOL!!.. Thanks for the belly laugh NoCode...
that is really funny, and probably an accurate picture.

Please show me where I said I didn't like WH. This is the probelm with internet discussions. Few people have the critical thinking skills to follow along. They always wonder off about something you didn't say. It always amazes me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 21:04 by brianwalker.

Date: February 14, 2012 20:48

brianwalker

Then show me what is wrong with my opinion. I have ben told I was wrong when I said WH wasn't relevant and hadn't be in years. When I asked if she was relevant last week, I got no answer. Because of course she wasn't relevant as a singer last week.

Its like because she died some people feel the need to build her up. Its very strange and it goes on every single time a celeb dies. Its called fluff and its silly.

One thng i noticed the other night. When MJ died all the news channels were saying he has no competition, he was the king, there was nobody in his class. Then the other night I saw news stories right away that said she was right up there with MJ. Just rolled my eyes. Not sure why people have this need.

See, there's where your thinking is messed up. The idea of proving somebody's opinion wrong. An opinion, by definition, can't be wrong. I have no problem with your opinion that she was irrelevant by this stage in her career. Or that in death she is being glorified. It's the way you go around telling people what they should think, that their opinions are wrong and yours is right, that people find off-putting.

But to play devil's advocate, some people might say she was relevant because she was attempting a comeback. She was trying to kickstart her movie career again. She was in town when she died to sing at an awards party, so apparently some people wanted to hear her. And when she did make music it still sold well. Her last album was released in 2009, well past her "prime" and after she had become tabloid fodder, and it was critically and commercially well received. It debuted at #1 in the charts, having the best opening week sales than any other album she released and is certified platinum.

People are always going to be glorified in death. I started to see it at an early age. When I was in elementary school 2 kids died about 4 months apart. To be perfectly honest, they were both A-holes. Nobody liked them, they were mean and caused trouble all the time. But when they both died and had their respective memorial services at school, you would have thought they were angels. I honestly couldn't believe it. I remember one of the teachers talking at one of the memorials like this was the sweetest nicest kid ever. Told a story about how he used to stay after school and clean her erasers for her. The truth is more likely that he was in detention and she made him clean the erasers, but it's not nice to speak ill of the dead. I just sat there and listened politely. I did not feel the need to stand up in the gymnasium and yell out that this was all bullshit and everybody knew it. I just bit my tongue and let people work though it however they wanted to.

Date: February 14, 2012 20:57

brianwalker
GumbootCloggeroo
brianwalker, how will you react when Keith or Mick die?

.......I still have their music. IF one of them died in 1971 then it would be a different story. Then you could say this sucks we missed out on a ton of great music and concerts.

Hey, celebrities! New rule: if you want any kind of respect when you die, make sure you die at the PEAK of your career! Don't say we didn't warn ya.....

Date: February 14, 2012 21:03

Justin
brianwalker
GumbootCloggeroo

.......I still have their music. IF one of them died in 1971 then it would be a different story. Then you could say this sucks we missed out on a ton of great music and concerts.

Hey, celebrities! New rule: if you want any kind of respect when you die, make sure you die at the PEAK of your career! Don't say we didn't warn ya.....

New rule If any celeb dies at any time then they are to be built up as the greatest thing that ever walked the earth. Doesn't matter what you thought about them last week. If they were no longer putting out music doesn't matter, we need to talk about how much we are missing out on.

Rememeber death equals greatness, and everyone better follow along or they are the villian..

Date: February 14, 2012 21:06

brianwalker
Justin
brianwalker
GumbootCloggeroo

New rule If any celeb dies at any time then they are to be built up as the greatest thing that ever walked the earth. Doesn't matter what you thought about them last week. If they were no longer putting out music doesn't matter, we need to talk about how much we are missing out on.

Rememeber death equals greatness, and everyone better follow along or they are the villian..

Brian, I have said several times that I didn't care for her music, and that her death doesn't really affect me. You aren't a villain because you aren't following along, you're a villain because you're telling people they are wrong for caring, telling them they're wrong for having a favorable opinion of her.

Date: February 14, 2012 21:06

NoCode0680
brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker

I think I will go to the thread on IORR trying to decide if drugs should be legal, and see if you are knocking people forbothering to bring this up on an internet discussion fourm. My guess is you probably haven't.

Date: February 14, 2012 21:11

brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker
NoCode0680
brianwalker

I think I will go to the thread on IORR trying to decide if drugs should be legal, and see if you are knocking people forbothering to bring this up on an internet discussion fourm. My guess is you probably haven't.

That doesn't even make sense in response to what I said. Which was basically a response to you saying I was part of the problem because I realize the 24 hour news cycle is ridiculous and not doing anything about it. I was simply asking what I should do. Since you are part of the solution apparently, and you're just bitching and moaning on a Rolling Stones message board.

Anyway, I've spent more time talking to you than I should have. I'm not going to waste anymore time today talking to a hateful troll who has nothing better to do than try to take the piss out of people for having an opinion different than theirs.

Date: February 14, 2012 21:11

You must be a riot at funerals! "We're all going to miss Uncle Bill. He was the sweetest guy you'd ever want to know. We're here to honor him and his wonderful life." You: "That a$shole?? Forget it. I haven't seen him in five years and I didn't particularly like him too much anyway."

Thank goodness for brianwalker for telling it like it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 21:12 by Justin.

Date: February 14, 2012 22:56

....RIP
Whitney

I hope it better for you now, where ever you are.

Date: February 14, 2012 23:03

Mathijs
Man, I went to have bite for a few hours, only to come back to found out that our big man in the sky censored the fact that I have the opinion that our Lisa has a black womens voice, just as Miss Houston had. And Aretha, and Etha, and Dionne, and Dianne, and....

When I sing, I have a very white man's voice. And a bad one for sure!

Mathijs

Believe it or not, this thread is not about you.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:05

Max'sKansasCity
Mathijs
Man, I went to have bite for a few hours, only to come back to found out that our big man in the sky censored the fact that I have the opinion that our Lisa has a black womens voice, just as Miss Houston had. And Aretha, and Etha, and Dionne, and Dianne, and....

Mathijs

Believe it or not, this thread is not about you.

Sure not. But I hate to be censored. That really pisses me off. In that I am very Dutch.

Mathijs

Date: February 14, 2012 23:07

....RIP
Whitney

I hope it better for you now, where ever you are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 23:09 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:12

Mathijs

Mathijs

Maybe say afro-american voice the next time !

Date: February 14, 2012 23:16

hey look A THREAD!!! I BETTER GO SAY SOMETHING!!

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:18

Looks like her Pity Party is over...

Date: February 14, 2012 23:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 23:21 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 14, 2012 23:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 23:21 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home