Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Midnight Rambler
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 30, 2012 09:38

BrianJones1969
IMO, because, if they performed it then, would at least 1% of it, in particular the drum beat, sounded like a Go-Go's song (think "We Got the Beat" )?

rats & drats - i ~*almost caught*~ which 1% he means
and then all you people yap-yapping scared it away

Re: Midnight Rambler - Too Progressive and Too Much Harmonica?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 30, 2012 09:46

We've hit a new low here. At least talk about the weather or something. But slagging off one of the greatest Stones songs - especially live - is dumb dumb dumb.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 10:12

What you consider "too progressive" BrianJones1969 is what most people love. The tempo changes are fun, and if there were no tempo changes the song would get very repetitive and boring.

As for live versions not doing the song justice, I think the 1969 live version from Ya-Ya's is kind of considered the definitive version. I've never heard a radio station play the studio version, it's always the live version that appeared on Ya-Ya's and Hot Rocks. I had probably heard that live version 100 times over the years before I bought Let It Bleed and got the studio version, and to be honest it took a while for me to get used to it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 30, 2012 10:25

Mathijs
It's still January, but I think we already have the most stupid post of the year.

Mathijs

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 30, 2012 11:07

Three comments re- "Midnight Rambler"

1. I think the original studio version of the song is under-rated by Stones fans. It has its unique darker, more bluesier feel that the harder rocking live version never reaches (nor tries to reach). I never buy the argument that the original studio versions of the 1968/69 material are somehow 'lesser' than the live versions of the same songs. The Stones - like the Beatles - were basically a studio band in 1968 and 1969, and what they then did in the studio is simply genious as far as rock music goes. The point is that the live versions were different by nature and should be judged terms of their own. I love them both. And I am glad I have them both.

2. As far as live versions go, I think Brussels 73 is the definitive version, especially now when it is officially released. It is the greatest moment of captured live rock and roll by anyone ever.

3. Even during the modern era "Midnight Rambler" almost never disappoints even a tough 'Vegas era' critic like me. Somehow the band finds that guitar-lead right groove and one big body/organ team work when they start that number, and the whole Vegas disappears for a moment, and they sound like, you know that Rolling @#$%& Stones....

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 11:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 11:20

If I could say something good about this, maybe:

Maybe Mick could blow his harmonica until he is exhausted, giving Keith the opportunity to do more numbers where he in turn sings lead (stuff like "Happy" and "All About You" ).

~Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 11:34 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 30, 2012 11:23

BrianJones1969
If I could say something good about this, maybe:

Maybe Mick could blow his harmonica until he is exhausted, giving Keith the opportunity to do more numbers where he in turn sings lead.

~Ben

Now, that's what I call positive thinking!

- Doxa

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 30, 2012 12:03

I always found it disappointing that Mick does not play the bass and drums while playing harmonica
and singing. JJ Culpepper can do that!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 12:08

Mathijs
It's still January, but I think we already have the most stupid post of the year.

Mathijs

Really...Is this a joke or what? MR is a masterpiece and I'd bet a lot of people wish Mick would jam on the harp even longer than he does. This may be the first time I've actually heard anyone say such crazy things about one of the Stones' most perfect songs of all time.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 30, 2012 12:36

Oh my, sacred cows.

It's quite ok to not like something the stones do.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 30, 2012 13:07

His Majesty
Oh my, sacred cows.

Yea, but let's agree Rambler is not part of that.

Mathijs

Date: January 30, 2012 13:18

It's the same as saying "I don't like Keith Richard's playing". Oh, wait, there are actually lots of people who don't here on this board...

Date: January 30, 2012 13:23

DandelionPowderman
It's the same as saying "I don't like Keith Richard's playing". Oh, wait, there are actually lots of people who don't here on this board...

His playing has changed over the years, so quite reasonable to not like all of it.

Date: January 30, 2012 13:29

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

His playing has changed over the years, so quite reasonable to not like all of it.

That's true. Not as much as people claim it has, though.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 30, 2012 13:35

Doxa
Three comments re- "Midnight Rambler"

1. I think the original studio version of the song is under-rated by Stones fans. It has its unique darker, more bluesier feel that the harder rocking live version never reaches (nor tries to reach). I never buy the argument that the original studio versions of the 1968/69 material are somehow 'lesser' than the live versions of the same songs. The Stones - like the Beatles - were basically a studio band in 1968 and 1969, and what they then did in the studio is simply genious as far as rock music goes. The point is that the live versions were different by nature and should be judged terms of their own. I love them both. And I am glad I have them both.

2. As far as live versions go, I think Brussels 73 is the definitive version, especially now when it is officially released. It is the greatest moment of captured live rock and roll by anyone ever.

3. Even during the modern era "Midnight Rambler" almost never disappoints even a tough 'Vegas era' critic like me. Somehow the band finds that guitar-lead right groove and one big body/organ team work when they start that number, and the whole Vegas disappears for a moment, and they sound like, you know that Rolling @#$%& Stones....

- Doxa

Agree. The Studio version is on top of my underrated list. Also underrated are the 1975/1976 versions. Best live is probably 1973 or 1972. 1972 is blusier and theres one version (the one on CS Blues) that's pure magic film noir.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 30, 2012 13:43

Remember Richards saying in an interview he appreciated Jagger at most when blowing, not when singing

Maybe he was just in a bad day

Date: January 30, 2012 13:45

DandelionPowderman

What people claim doesn't matter, his playing has changed and developed even if some things stayed the same or atleast similar.

Date: January 30, 2012 13:48

Mathijs
His Majesty
Oh my, sacred cows.

Mathijs

I hate Soul Survivor, is that part of that?

Date: January 30, 2012 13:52

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

What people claim doesn't matter, his playing has changed and developed even if some things stayed the same or atleast similar.

Of course. It has changed, developed, stagnated and detoriated.

But the core of his playing, when all the clowning and spectacle is peeled off, hasn't changed that remarkably, imo.

The music from the band, however, has.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 30, 2012 14:12

MileHigh
To StonesTod:

Just curious, but you almost always have a downer or negative comment on any thread on this board. Or in this case you jumped in to back up someone else's negative comment.

Is it like, that's your purpose around here? Not that I mind, I am not "involved" but why?

MileHigh

hey, thanks for noticing and taking a moment to ask!

the truth of the matter is that i'm a miserable sonafabitch and i get my kicks and jollies out of being a nasty person with horrible things to say about everything and trying to bring everyone down. i've been in therapy for years, but it seems this is just who i am and nothing can be done, but i keep going to therapy so i can spew my venom at my therapist, whom i loathe.

did this answer your question sufficiently?

Date: January 30, 2012 14:13

grinning smiley

Date: January 30, 2012 14:15

StonesTod
MileHigh
To StonesTod:

Just curious, but you almost always have a downer or negative comment on any thread on this board. Or in this case you jumped in to back up someone else's negative comment.

Is it like, that's your purpose around here? Not that I mind, I am not "involved" but why?

MileHigh

the truth of the matter is that i'm a miserable sonafabitch and i get my kicks and jollies out of being a nasty person with horrible things to say about everything and trying to bring everyone down. i've been in therapy for years, but it seems this is just who i am and nothing can be done, but i keep going to therapy so i can spew my venom at my therapist, whom i loathe.

Let it out, Tod! smiling smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 30, 2012 14:16

DandelionPowderman
StonesTod
MileHigh
To StonesTod:

MileHigh

Let it out, Tod! smiling smiley

that's what my therapist tells me and i usually kick him in the nuts at that point. he must be a masochist, i think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 14:19 by StonesTod.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 30, 2012 14:19

Getting back to Rambler......Seeing them play it on the B Stage during the No Security tour was a big rush for me. The Stones doing what they do best!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 30, 2012 14:26

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I don't know about the guitar playing but I know which lead vocal I'd rather listen to.

Date: January 30, 2012 14:31

StonesTod
MileHigh
To StonesTod:

MileHigh

So we have the worst post and candidate for best post of the year 2012 in one thread. It's going to be good year on IORR!

Mathijs

Date: January 30, 2012 14:33

His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty
Oh my, sacred cows.

Mathijs

I hate Soul Survivor, is that part of that?

It sure isn't, even the best albums have mediocre or bad songs. I hate You Got to Move.

There's just songs that are so defining for the Stones that if you don't like them you don't like the Stones. Like Gimme Shelter, like Brown Sugar.

Mathijs

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 30, 2012 14:38

MR is TOO MR!!!!!!!!!!! A great masterpiece
Is it really beter on live versions?? It is differnet, it is fire

Studio version has a groove (guitars and harp) and a guitar tone very difficult to replicate

Absolute Masterpice

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 30, 2012 14:47

To me the most interesting question in this thread is: What is it then about the Rolling Stones that you do like, Brian Jones 1969? And as a consequence, which albums and which songs? Possibly in addition, which period or periods of the band's existence?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 14:52 by Witness.

Date: January 30, 2012 15:58

Mathijs

There's just songs that are so defining for the Stones that if you don't like them you don't like the Stones. Like Gimme Shelter, like Brown Sugar.

Mathijs

This is ok though, some folks, for example, just prefer their more pop orientated stuff.

Someone can love Ruby Tuesday, but not like Gimme Shelter, but still be a fan of the band.

Not liking Midnight Rambler just means you don't like Midnight Rambler. It's not some guide to how smart someone is or how much of a fan they are of The Rolling Stones.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home