Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Midnight Rambler - Too Progressive and Too Much Harmonica?
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: January 29, 2012 20:47

I have no intent on dissing this or any Rolling Stones track, but, to some of you out there, do you feel that there is too much harmonica? I know the studio version does have lots of harmonica, and Mick goes crazy on it the moment the song's tempo rises. It also feels a bit progressive due to the song speeding up around the 2:30 mark, then slowing down, and then returning to normal tempo through the end.

When the song slows down, he honks on the harmonica like a horn that reminds you your ride is here (the moment after he sings, "Well, you've heard about the Boston..." ).

It is obvious that live performances of this song do no justice, since Mick can only play harmonica on parts of the song where he doesn't sing.

I wonder why they left this song out of their 1981-82 set list? IMO, because, if they performed it then, would at least 1% of it, in particular the drum beat, sounded like a Go-Go's song (think "We Got the Beat" )?

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 20:47 by BrianJones1969.

Re: Midnight Rambler - Too Progressive and Too Much Harmonica?
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 29, 2012 20:48

And I think Satisfaction has too many guitars.

Date: January 29, 2012 20:51

Midnight Rambler has just the right amount of harp.

Bob Dylan however may have too much harp in his early days.

I think Satisfaction "may" be cheesy w/ the lyrics.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: January 29, 2012 21:12

NO

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 29, 2012 21:22

BrianJones1969
It is obvious that live performances of this song do no justice, since Mick can only play harmonica on parts of the song where he doesn't sing.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 29, 2012 21:33

wow! what's next? more cowbell in Honkey Tonk Women?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 29, 2012 21:44

BrianJones1969
I wonder why they left this song out of their 1981-82 set list? IMO, because, if they performed it then, would at least 1% of it, in particular the drum beat, sounded like a Go-Go's song (think "We Got the Beat" )?

we get that argument alot here on iorr. i go-go back and forth on it, myself.

Date: January 29, 2012 22:05

StonesTod
BrianJones1969

That of course happens when the song's tempo rises.

~Ben

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 29, 2012 22:39

NO

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: January 29, 2012 22:44

yes....and too many notes

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 29, 2012 22:49

MR is the centerpiece of one of the greatest live albums of all time. It is a brilliant performance, even with a few mistakes.

In the film "Amadeus", the emperor tells Mozart that one of his works has "too many notes", and that he should take some out. Mozart responds with, "It has just the right amount of notes". "Which ones should I take out?"

MR, whether live or in studio, has just the right amount of "notes", be it harmonica, guitar, bass, or vocally. It is perfect.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 29, 2012 22:50

Ok - I know I'm new here and I don't mean to spur on the "haters" LOL - but if I had to say what I THINK (yeah just me alone here in my weird world)...Midnight Rambler TO ME - is the most OVER-RATED Stones songs Ev-A...

OK - I'm ready for the onslaught of HATE mail.

Rock on...And I'll rest in Pieces...

Date: January 29, 2012 22:56

memphiscats
Midnight Rambler TO ME - is the most OVER-RATED Stones songs Ev-A...

you know...that's a reasonable position, giving the almost universal praising that MR gets...there's only way to go from the top....i commend you....

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 29, 2012 23:01

There's just the right amount of harp on Rambler, and it's Jagger's best harp lines.

As someone who has been on a bit of an ELP/Yes/King Crimson/Procol Harum binge of late, I don't hear anything remotely progressive about Rambler. A few tempo changes in one song don't make it prog. The hallmarks of prog are a combination, to varying degrees, of technique for its own sake, odd time signatures, and classical pretentions.

Onstage, Rambler's consistently a showstopper, among the best things they've ever done. The Ya-Yas and Brussels versions are way superior to the studio version.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 29, 2012 23:18

BrianJones1969
I have no intent on dissing this or any Rolling Stones track, but, to some of you out there, do you feel that there is too much harmonica? I know the studio version does have lots of harmonica, and Mick goes crazy on it the moment the song's tempo rises. It also feels a bit progressive due to the song speeding up around the 2:30 mark, then slowing down, and then returning to normal tempo through the end.

When the song slows down, he honks on the harmonica like a horn that reminds you your ride is here (the moment after he sings, "Well, you've heard about the Boston..." ).

~Ben

WHAAAT ????

- It's one of the greatest songs ever on this planet - and the best version of this song is live version on Get our Ya Ya's Out album - and it's the best live albume ever made - and it's finest moment is Midnight Rambler !!! And Mick plays that harmonica like a kick ass @#$%&

Date: January 29, 2012 23:19

i'm guessing bj69 meant "aggressive" as opposed to "progressive" in the sense of prog-rock. incidentally, i went on a similar elp/yes/kc/ph bender recently...i threw some early genesis in there, too....now i'm back to my mostly jazz regular programming...

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 29, 2012 23:30

OK - the onslaught hasn't been too bad so I'll put my head back in the noose - I think (and I'm an absolute Stone's mental midget here)...the live version of MR is even MORE BORING than the studio...SORRY - I think it's completely self-indulgent...ouch - that hurts me more than it hurts you - I'd love to praise this song but I think it's dull...yeah I know it taps into some good blues riffs - but yawn - it just doesn't do it for me...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 29, 2012 23:44

Forget the harmonica. It needs more cowbell.

Date: January 29, 2012 23:47

memphiscats
OK - the onslaught hasn't been too bad so I'll put my head back in the noose - I think (and I'm an absolute Stone's mental midget here)...the live version of MR is even MORE BORING than the studio...SORRY - I think it's completely self-indulgent...ouch - that hurts me more than it hurts you - I'd love to praise this song but I think it's dull...yeah I know it taps into some good blues riffs - but yawn - it just doesn't do it for me...

i admire the bravery and courage you displayed in speaking out on your fervently-held convictions. if only more ppl would do that, we could have some seriously fun chaos here.

Date: January 29, 2012 23:53

Is there any of you here that would've liked to hear "Midnight Rambler" during the 1981-82 U.S. tour?

~Ben

Date: January 29, 2012 23:57

BrianJones1969
Is there any of you here that would've liked to hear "Midnight Rambler" during the 1981-82 U.S. tour?

why? can you make that happen?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 30, 2012 01:37

It's just a longer jam-song really. Progressive? With a total of three simple chords? Hardly. Too much harp? That depends on with version you're talking about. There's one from '72 - can't remember what city but it's playing in my head right now - haha.

Self-indulgent? Yeah. I mean, I can dig it and I do often .But I do find sometimes I'll skip this song - especially the Vegas versions of it.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 03:36

An incredible epic. They fit three different songs into one. WIth a grinding riff and some fantastic harp, and death lyrics. Love it! One of my favs in any form.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: January 30, 2012 03:50

~Ben[/quote]

WHAAAT ????

- It's one of the greatest songs ever on this planet - and the best version of this song is live version on Get our Ya Ya's Out album - and it's the best live albume ever made - and it's finest moment is Midnight Rambler !!! And Mick plays that harmonica like a kick ass @#$%&[/quote]

YEAH, Indeed!!!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: January 30, 2012 04:29

(Studio version)

(from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!!)

(Live at Marquee Club, London, 3/26/71)

(Live in Atlantic City, NJ, 12/19/89)

Then let it weep...

~Ben

Date: January 30, 2012 04:41

BrianJones1969

~Ben

And what prescription are you short on? Live it does no justice? Crawl back in the hole you came out of, where all of no sense makes sense for you. "It is obvious that live performances of this song do no justice, since Mick can only play harmonica on parts of the song where he doesn't sing." WOW. You are SO astute! Mick can't play harmonica when...he SINGS!

WOW!

Live it's a thousand times better than the LP version, which is possibly one of the most not listened to tracks of The Stones because the live version is so stellar.

You wonder why they left it out of the Tattoo You tour's set list. Maybe because...they weren't into heavy songs for that tour? Maybe because they had other songs to play and those could take a rest? They left out...Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, hell, they hardly played Street Fighting Man.

Anything else you'd like to be mystified by?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 19:42 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Date: January 30, 2012 04:53

StonesTod
BrianJones1969

They left this out of the set list because of The Go-Go's? And the originality of that is based on....?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 30, 2012 07:44

To StonesTod:

Just curious, but you almost always have a downer or negative comment on any thread on this board. Or in this case you jumped in to back up someone else's negative comment.

Is it like, that's your purpose around here? Not that I mind, I am not "involved" but why?

MileHigh

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 30, 2012 09:19

BrianJones1969

(Live in Atlantic City, NJ, 12/19/89)

Then let it weep...

~Ben

I'm weeping, back to the unwatchable Mick Jagger (some of those moves are Jacko Bad) and TOO MUCH Chuck (and I'm not talking Berry).

I'm gassing for Keith's TV DC though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 09:20 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 30, 2012 09:35

It's still January, but I think we already have the most stupid post of the year.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home