Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Midnight Rambler - Too Progressive and Too Much Harmonica?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 30, 2012 16:02

Mathijs

So we have the worst post and candidate for best post of the year 2012 in one thread. It's going to be good year on IORR!

Mathijs

Hah! thumbs up

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 16:39

StonesTod
memphiscats
Midnight Rambler TO ME - is the most OVER-RATED Stones songs Ev-A...

you know...that's a reasonable position, giving the almost universal praising that MR gets...there's only way to go from the top....i commend you....

Don't feel bad. Taste is subjective and you're entitled to your opinion. Just because most of us may have no problems with MR, that doesn't mean you have to feel the same way. As I often say...hey, it's only rock and roll. cool smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 30, 2012 16:49

His Majesty
Mathijs

There's just songs that are so defining for the Stones that if you don't like them you don't like the Stones. Like Gimme Shelter, like Brown Sugar.

Mathijs

This is ok though, some folks, for example, just prefer their more pop orientated stuff.

Someone can love Ruby Tuesday, but not like Gimme Shelter, but still be a fan of the band.

Not liking Midnight Rambler just means you don't like Midnight Rambler. It's not some guide to how smart someone is or how much of a fan they are of The Rolling Stones.

yeah, there are much better guides to how much of a fan someone is....as to the smart thing...i just assumed that all of us that liked the stones were just plain stupid. that it just comes with the territory or something.

Date: January 30, 2012 16:51

stonesdan60
StonesTod
memphiscats

you know...that's a reasonable position, giving the almost universal praising that MR gets...there's only way to go from the top....i commend you....

Don't feel bad. Taste is subjective and you're entitled to your opinion. Just because most of us may have no problems with MR, that doesn't mean you have to feel the same way. As I often say...hey, it's only rock and roll. cool smiley

you do realize you owe mick and keith royalties each time you say that, right?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 30, 2012 16:56

StonesTod

I like it.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 31, 2012 06:11

StonesTod:

Thanks for the reply!

We can't forget how there was a phase were the Stones were outcasts and could not get a hotel and had to piss up agaist a wall and were ugly and pimply.

We need a shot of negativity to keep it real!

MileHigh

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 31, 2012 06:19

This question leads inevitably to another of equal merit; Do the Rolling Stones need a drummer?

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 31, 2012 15:04

Doxa
Three comments re- "Midnight Rambler"

1. I think the original studio version of the song is under-rated by Stones fans. It has its unique darker, more bluesier feel that the harder rocking live version never reaches (nor tries to reach). I never buy the argument that the original studio versions of the 1968/69 material are somehow 'lesser' than the live versions of the same songs. The Stones - like the Beatles - were basically a studio band in 1968 and 1969, and what they then did in the studio is simply genious as far as rock music goes. The point is that the live versions were different by nature and should be judged terms of their own. I love them both. And I am glad I have them both.

2. As far as live versions go, I think Brussels 73 is the definitive version, especially now when it is officially released. It is the greatest moment of captured live rock and roll by anyone ever.

3. Even during the modern era "Midnight Rambler" almost never disappoints even a tough 'Vegas era' critic like me. Somehow the band finds that guitar-lead right groove and one big body/organ team work when they start that number, and the whole Vegas disappears for a moment, and they sound like, you know that Rolling @#$%& Stones....

- Doxa

Doxa, i pretty much agree with points 1 and 3 unreservedly, and to a degree i can see your view on the Brussels 73 version being the definitive live version, because it certainly makes its presence felt. However, for me the Brussels version is a little too theatrical, and it really does promote more of an exhibitionist vibe to the song in terms of its character, than really reflecting the song's darker overtones, which are best felt on the original (more subdued) version from LET IT BLEED. The original for me, really takes some beating, because it manages so well to reflect the song's true nature, within its bluesy instrumental framework. I think once the song is taken out of its more original studio context, it loses some of its intimacy, although of course one could argue it gains a lot more in terms of a more powerful 'rock' delivery. Maybe the Brussels version takes that to its furthest extreme (including a much more ferocious tempo), and that's perhaps why it is so very well celebrated. Personally, i prefer the earlier live versions from the 69-early 73 era, which are of course a little more dynamic than the original, yet don't quite reach the level of excessive theatricality as on the late 73 tour. They walk the fine line of being dramatic within the context of the concert setting, without losing sight of the song's original more intimate tone, also.

However, Midnight Rambler is one song, where it is hard to find the Stones ever delivering a mediocre version of. Whatever the Stones in later years may be accused of, when it comes to Midnight Rambler, they pretty much always manage to deliver the goods, whether it is Jagger's impressive harmonica playing or the dexterity to be found in the playing within the changes of tempo, within the song's three sections. The Stones never seem to fail to find that groove. Midnight Rambler really is the Stones most consistently well played song over the last 40+ years, in my opinion. However, it is still the earlier live versions that i tend to love the most.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-31 15:09 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 31, 2012 16:48

Edward Twining

..................................................................Personally, i prefer the earlier live versions from the 69-early 73 era, which are of course a little more dynamic than the original, yet don't quite reach the level of excessive theatricality as on the late 73 tour. They walk the fine line of being dramatic within the context of the concert setting, without losing sight of the song's original more intimate tone, also.

........................................................... However, it is still the earlier live versions that i tend to love the most.

I would think that the version on the boot "LIVER THAN YOU'LL EVER BE" might be a very good example,( although not intimate). It is superb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-31 16:50 by Witness.

Date: January 31, 2012 17:00

MileHigh
StonesTod:

Thanks for the reply!

We can't forget how there was a phase were the Stones were outcasts and could not get a hotel and had to piss up agaist a wall and were ugly and pimply.

We need a shot of negativity to keep it real!

MileHigh

if you ever get the sense that there's a little too much joy, mirth or merriment exhibited on the board, please let me know and i'll be more than delighted to bring folks down a couple of notches. no charge.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 31, 2012 17:12

StonesTod
stonesdan60
StonesTod
memphiscats

Thanks guys! LOL - I think Mick & Keith owe US royalties...maybe we should start a thread on "least liked RS songs"...While I get what everyone is saying about MR I completely understand while you dig it - it's just not my cup of tea. However, are we in agreement that Hot Stuff is a totally bad song - or have I stepped in it again? smoking smiley

Date: January 31, 2012 17:14

memphiscats
StonesTod
stonesdan60
StonesTod
memphiscats

Thanks guys! LOL - I think Mick & Keith owe US royalties...maybe we should start a thread on "least liked RS songs"...While I get what everyone is saying about MR I completely understand while you dig it - it's just not my cup of tea. However, are we in agreement that Hot Stuff is a totally bad song - or have I stepped in it again? smoking smiley

hot stuff...the title says it all. and i like it when that happens...i hate having to listen to the song to figure out if it's any good.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 31, 2012 17:24

Witness
I would think that the version on the boot "LIVER THAN YOU'LL EVER BE" might be a very good example,( although not intimate). It is superb.

Yes, you may be right, Witness. I think the word 'intimate' isn't really fitting with regard to 'Midnight Rambler', perhaps. It is more the fact that i prefer the versions of the song that are less excessively flamboyant, than the Brussels version. Some may regard Brussels as the performance where 'Midnight Rambler' comes to its full fruition (although i know Doxa didn't really mean that), but i prefer the original feel of the song, ultimately.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 31, 2012 21:58

Studio version is fantastic and underrated more than any other song. Everything is great in the studio version but of course it's still locked in the room, this raging bull.

1973 is great live. 1975 different but great.

But 1972 is the evil twin of the studio version. Keith sounded better in 1972. And listen to 7.38-7.55.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 31, 2012 23:51

hedegaard
~Ben

WHAAAT ????

- It's one of the greatest songs ever on this planet - and the best version of this song is live version on Get our Ya Ya's Out album - and it's the best live albume ever made - and it's finest moment is Midnight Rambler !!! And Mick plays that harmonica like a kick ass @#$%&[/quote]

YEAH, Indeed!!!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up[/quote]

Hardly the best live album ever made. Vocally it's a studio album (and a poorly edited one at that since the original vocals bleed through as a second 'ghost voice' ALL OVER the place) with one exception - Midnight Rambler.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-31 23:53 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: January 31, 2012 23:58

StonesTod
stonesdan60
StonesTod
memphiscats

Curse of the Midnight Rambler - OK this is truly bizzarre - everytime I've got in my car since I posted my "anti-MR" message, the first song that plays on my i-pod is - you guessed it - MR...I've got about 100 Stones songs on a loop - why does MR pop up? Ghost of Brian? Freaky!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2012 00:10

.....okay don't go near ya car ...stay inside and get someone
ta double strengh ya doors and put security bars on ya plate-glass windows

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2012 00:19

Good strategy..I'll follow it to the T & I'll avoid the pool too smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 1, 2012 02:12

Yes, and there's also too much bass, too many guitars, too much drums, and too much singing.

Seriously, "no live version can do it justice"? You have heard Ya Yas and Brussles, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 02:13 by 71Tele.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 1, 2012 08:00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 08:05 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 08:10

ben,are you well?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 1, 2012 08:17

His Majesty
Oh my, sacred cows.

It's quite ok to not like something the stones do.

Quite right. Even Jagger himself is quite dubious about Between The Buttons (and other material) So what does that make him?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 1, 2012 11:36

No.
No.
Best piece of music ever. Simple as that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2012 11:42

tomk
His Majesty
Oh my, sacred cows.

It's quite ok to not like something the stones do.

Quite right. Even Jagger himself is quite dubious about Between The Buttons (and other material) So what does that make him?

A potential IORR contributor. He used to have interesting to say about EXILE as well...

- Doxa

Posted by: mabo ()
Date: February 1, 2012 15:37

Midnight Rambler is the greatest Stones song of all times!

It's all in there, what the Band makes great!

Best version ist the Brussels'73 one!

Can't still get enough of it!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 1, 2012 16:49

People are miserable aren't they?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:12

there's never enough harmonica in a stones song, especially in midnight rambler

Date: February 1, 2012 19:44

stonesdan60
Mathijs
It's still January, but I think we already have the most stupid post of the year.

Mathijs

Really...Is this a joke or what? MR is a masterpiece and I'd bet a lot of people wish Mick would jam on the harp even longer than he does. This may be the first time I've actually heard anyone say such crazy things about one of the Stones' most perfect songs of all time.

Unfortunately it's a "what" and not a joke.

Date: February 1, 2012 19:47

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
It's the same as saying "I don't like Keith Richard's playing". Oh, wait, there are actually lots of people who don't here on this board...

His playing has changed over the years, so quite reasonable to not like all of it.

That's true. Not as much as people claim it has, though.

That 1964 version is awful! The 1995 version is killer.

Date: February 1, 2012 19:52

StonesTod
MileHigh
To StonesTod:

Just curious, but you almost always have a downer or negative comment on any thread on this board. Or in this case you jumped in to back up someone else's negative comment.

Is it like, that's your purpose around here? Not that I mind, I am not "involved" but why?

MileHigh

hey, thanks for noticing and taking a moment to ask!

the truth of the matter is that i'm a miserable sonafabitch and i get my kicks and jollies out of being a nasty person with horrible things to say about everything and trying to bring everyone down. i've been in therapy for years, but it seems this is just who i am and nothing can be done, but i keep going to therapy so i can spew my venom at my therapist, whom i loathe.

did this answer your question sufficiently?

You don't sound like you talk in bubbles do you?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home