Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Why Not An Album Of Covers?
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 10, 2012 06:08

What would the Stones have to lose if they put out a quickie record of mostly cover songs to commemorate their 50th anniversary? It could be similar to their first several records which were all quite good. One idea would be to recreate their set list of the very first show on July 12 1962. Or they could re-record their first two demo sessions You Can't Judge A Book, et al. Other major artists have done cover albums or revisited their past and their reputations didn't suffer. Likewise, I wouldn't mind another record similar to Stripped's studio remakes. I thought those were all great. And without the burden of coming up with new songs, they could bang it out in 2 or 3 weeks. Well Stones, what better way to celebrate your 50th whether you tour or not????

Re: Why Not An Album Of Covers?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 10, 2012 06:21

Thanks, but no thanks.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 10, 2012 07:29

Better good covers than bad originals.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:07

If 'Like A Rolling Stone' and 'Watching The River Flow' are indications, they must have lost their cover mojo after 'Harlem Shuffle'.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:28

Covers albums are not as well received as they used to be. Back in the day doing covers was common place, and even after the era of the songwriters changed things up, doing a cover album was still pretty acceptable. Moondog Matinee by The Band is a good example of a covers album that works, and there are some others. These days a cover album is just seen as a stop-gap, or a cash grab, or anything other than artistically relevant. The ONLY cover album from recent memory that I can remember being welcomed by the public was Metallica's (regardless of whether or not you personally like them) Garage Inc. back in '98. Cover albums are largely dismissed by the general public.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:36

Actually, Raising Sand did quite well as an album of covers. Won a grammy too, not that means anything about quality, but liked the album.

Also Mighty Rearranger is quite good, but Plant is adept at picking obscure stuff to cover.

I think the Stones did a good job with Like A Rolling Stone, and more importantly Little Baby! That track smokes! If they did an entire album like that I would be quite pleased.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:40

smiling smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 10, 2012 10:46

It could be fun if they covered songs from bands that started after them and were inspired by
the Stones. That would really turn the world around.
How would those songs sound in the hands of the old masters themselves?
Refugee (Tom Petty)
Remedy (Black Crowes)
Get your rocks off (Primal Scream)
Bohemian like you (Dandy Warhols)
Dani California (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: January 10, 2012 11:16

They already have released albums of covers (the three first albums). They're all great, though.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 10, 2012 12:31

Covers by The Stones ?

There's an amazing blues album by Buddy Guy entitled Sweet Tea, which is Buddy's interpretation of the Fat Possum blues material from RL Burnside, Robert Balfour, Junior Kimbrough etc.

The Stones doing Fat possum blues would be amazing: you could imagine Keith singing Done Got Old, or Mick on Goin Down South.

Aerosmith did Honking On Bobo, a so-so covers album of blues, but the Stones have the capacity to do it with aplomb. Eric Clapton's great album of the 90s, From The Cradle, also highlighted what a rich seam the covers album could be.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 10, 2012 12:37

Actually, they have released quite a lot of cover songs during the last decade: "Can't Turn You Loose", "Love Train", "The Nearness of You", "Rock Me Baby", "Bob Wills Is Still King", "Learning The Game", "Night Time Is Right time", "Get Up, Stand Up", "Mr Pitiful", "Champagne & Reefer"...

I need to say of those are any indication, the album of covers is not a very good idea.

- Doxa

Date: January 10, 2012 12:49

Doxa
Actually, they have released quite a lot of cover songs during the last decade: "Can't Turn You Loose", "Love Train", "The Nearness of You", "Rock Me Baby", "Bob Wills Is Still King", "Learning The Game", "Night Time Is Right time", "Get Up, Stand Up", "Mr Pitiful", "Champagne & Reefer"...

I need to say of those are any indication, the album of covers is not a very good idea.

- Doxa

You didn't like the Licks-club Soul Stones? I did, and as a matter of fact I find the soul classics played by what you call the "Vegas Stones" quite good, compared to many of their own songs.

The blues numbers are a bit dull nowadays, though.

The Marley-cover was well-played, but totally off the mark for Mick to sing, imo.

Date: January 10, 2012 12:54

Sweat Tea is an absolute blues masterpiece. Buddy proving that he can still howl and moan. Classic!

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: January 10, 2012 14:55

No thanks im tired of bands who have so many hits of their own doing cover songs if they wanted to rush a new CD just get together some of their unreleased stuff im sure they have enough in the vaults.

Date: January 10, 2012 15:09

whitem8,

True: the trouble is that Buddy Guy is great live, but album wise he has released stuff that has, quite honestly, never fulfilled his live potential, apart from Sweet Tea.

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: January 10, 2012 15:30

I would love an album of Chess label covers; Little Walter, Wolf, Muddy, Chuck, Buddy, etc...Call it "The Stones Play Chess". The album cover could be Keith playing chess outdoors with Chuck Berry. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Date: January 10, 2012 15:44

tomcasagranda
whitem8,

True: the trouble is that Buddy Guy is great live, but album wise he has released stuff that has, quite honestly, never fulfilled his live potential, apart from Sweet Tea.

What about I Was Walking Through The Woods?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 15:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 10, 2012 15:55

tomcasagranda
whitem8,

I agree about him live. I have seen him probably close to a dozen times. But his shows became very rote. He basically started doing the same show year after year. The same stories, walking into the audience with his long cable, and doing snippets of songs, not full versions. I actually got quite frustrated with him live, and then suddenly he released Sweet Tea. Like a renaissance. I didn't see him tour for that album, and would be curious to hear a boot of a show and if he did most the album live... that I would love to hear.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 10, 2012 16:50

No, thank you. A covers album would be boring. I say no to Karaoke Stones. Karaoke Rod was enough.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 10, 2012 17:55

oh yes like Rod Stewart and others who have nothing to propose anymore ? and why not a @#$%& symphonic orchestra too ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 10, 2012 18:13

So maybe Stones fans are too fussy. So you all didn't like You Win Again, Talahassee Lasse, We Had It All, I Ain't Signifying, Little Baby, etc? All covers, all great.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 10, 2012 18:34

Too late....maybe it was fun in '73

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 10, 2012 18:37

donvis
So maybe Stones fans are too fussy. So you all didn't like You Win Again, Talahassee Lasse, We Had It All, I Ain't Signifying, Little Baby, etc? All covers, all great.

I nominate We Had It All as best Stones cover, post-1960s category.

Date: January 10, 2012 19:04

Agreed as per donvis.

We Had It All is a great cover of a great song.

However, Ray Charles' version is the best in my book, closely followed by Waylon Jennings' version.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: January 10, 2012 19:07

donvis
What would the Stones have to lose if they put out a quickie record of mostly cover songs to commemorate their 50th anniversary? It could be similar to their first several records which were all quite good. One idea would be to recreate their set list of the very first show on July 12 1962. Or they could re-record their first two demo sessions You Can't Judge A Book, et al. Other major artists have done cover albums or revisited their past and their reputations didn't suffer. Likewise, I wouldn't mind another record similar to Stripped's studio remakes. I thought those were all great. And without the burden of coming up with new songs, they could bang it out in 2 or 3 weeks. Well Stones, what better way to celebrate your 50th whether you tour or not????

Not a bad idea at all.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 10, 2012 19:33

whitem8
Actually, Raising Sand did quite well as an album of covers. Won a grammy too, not that means anything about quality, but liked the album.

Also Mighty Rearranger is quite good, but Plant is adept at picking obscure stuff to cover.

Mighty Rearranger is not a cover album at all.
All new, original songs buddy.

Anyways, if it's ok for the Stones to shed their writing creativity and slap something out in 2-3 weeks then I feel it'd be okay for me to not buy into something that would be nothin more than a cheap way to get 'product' out their.

It's reaching 7 years since A Bigger Bang. 7 years and no REAL new album? I guess a covers CD would be apro after all - they're not a real band anymore and they're clearly incapable of writing as one. Their creative output since '97 has been pathetic.

Bring on the cover album, I might pirate a track or two.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 19:37 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 10, 2012 19:46

donvis

Nice ideas in theory, but there's no money in publishing royalties in it. Which,as we're talking about the Stones, is a big deal.

This is, after all, a band who when it came to picking songs for inclusion on their only career retrospective album in 2002, minimised the number of cover versions as much as possible - to the extent where it excluded a) their first two singles, b) the only true blues record ever to reach number 1 in the charts and c) the lead single from Dirty Work (the only Stones album since they started composing their own singles to be unrepresented)

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 10, 2012 20:02

Gazza
Nice ideas in theory, but there's no money in publishing royalties in it. Which,as we're talking about the Stones, is a big deal.

Well, and I don't know the answer to this, what would make more money for the Stones:

1. A new album with all new material that sells 2 to 3 million copies with 2 to 3 songs that will get some airplay...or:

2. A cover Album that sells 5 to 6 million that gets about double the airplay (as No. 1)

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 10, 2012 20:12

two imes zero is still zero, bluzdude.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 10, 2012 20:23

Hell, why not just end it all now with a DUETS album?

Justin Beiber & Mick on Satisfaction. Oh my god, they wouldn't, would they?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home