Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Why Not An Album Of Covers?
Date: January 12, 2012 05:46

whatever album they record is not about making money directly but about promoting the tour which is where the money is..having a song on the radio would go a long ways to making them seem relevant.. if they were smart they would do a covers album... there is nothing wrong with it and i think it would work..also it would require so much less work!

they surely will not do it though.. because they are very stupid.

look what the covers album did for johnny cash (american recordings)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 12, 2012 15:55

stoned in washington dc
they surely will not do it though.. because they are very stupid.

i think we have the makings of an excellent title for their next album:

"more new songs cos we are very stupid"

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 12, 2012 15:58

Have you listened to the first three albums? Very defining.

Date: January 12, 2012 16:00

Carnaby
Have you listened to the first three albums? Very defining.

another good album title! keep 'em coming!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 12, 2012 17:18

I can't resist...............England's Oldest Hitmakers!

Date: January 12, 2012 17:24

A new recording of the Chess Sessions would have been something?

1. It's All Over Now
2. I Can't Be Satisfied
3. Stewed And Keefed
4. Time Is On My Side - version 1
5. Good Times, Bad Times
6. Don't Lie To Me
7. Around And Around
8. 2120 South Michigan Avenue - version 1
9. Empty Heart
10. Down In The Bottom
11. Reelin' And Rockin'
12. Down The Road Apiece
13. High Heel Sneakers
14. Look What You've Done
15. Confessin' The Blues
16. 2120 South Michigan Avenue - version 2
17. If You Need Me
18. Tell Me Baby
19. Time Is On My Side - version 2
20. Little Red Rooster
21. What A Shame
22. Fanny Mae
23. Mercy Mercy
24. That's How String My Love Is
25. The Under-Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
Bonus Track:
26. Satisfaction

Date: January 12, 2012 17:26

donvis
I can't resist...............England's Oldest Hitmakers!

hmmmm... a little deceitful? when was the last hit, again?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 12, 2012 17:40

stoned in washington dc
if they were smart they would do a covers album... there is nothing wrong with it and i think it would work..also it would require so much less work!

Actually that is not necessarily true. Sometimes it is much easier to invite all by yourself than figure out how on earth that tune supposed to go that sounds like that. Besides Ronnie had said that it is easier for them to start from the scratch than try to continue to work further some already existing track. I think anyone who knows something abbout creative work knows what him or I talk about. I guess for Jagger the bonus tracks for EXILE and SOME GIRLS were creatively harder job than making A BIGGER BANG. At least that is what he sounded like when he talked about especially making of EXILE bonus tracks. He had very much limited possibilities in his hands.

So, I can't think it is so easy at all for The Stones to make a cover album that would have some artistic value a'la Johnny Cash did. One should first pick up 'suitable' covers, and then have a personal take on them. Making good covers is not such an easy job at all to do.

- Doxa

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 12, 2012 17:46

I could use a studio version of Let It Rock.

Date: January 12, 2012 18:02

I'll bet with a little planning and prerehearsal on an agreed group of say 20 or 25 songs, they could bang out an album of 15 songs in 2 weeks. The Stripped Japanese studio sessions consisted of only 3 days in March 1995 and look how many songs they recorded. No one is expecting a masterpiece at this point, just a fun simple party record. After all they are the ones who said......It's Only Rock 'N Roll, so the simpler the better.

Date: January 12, 2012 18:06

donvis
I'll bet with a little planning and prerehearsal on an agreed group of say 20 or 25 songs, they could bang out an album of 15 songs in 2 weeks. .

math isn't a forte of mine, but would that mean we get the remaining 5 or 10 songs if we wait another week or so?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 12, 2012 18:45

StonesTod
donvis
I'll bet with a little planning and prerehearsal on an agreed group of say 20 or 25 songs, they could bang out an album of 15 songs in 2 weeks. .

math isn't a forte of mine, but would that mean we get the remaining 5 or 10 songs if we wait another week or so?

Better still, record for only a week and just give us the 10-11 best songs straight up, saving everyone time and effort.

Date: January 12, 2012 19:09

treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

Better still, record for only a week and just give us the 10-11 best songs straight up, saving everyone time and effort.

we could have an ep by sunday afternoon

Date: January 12, 2012 19:28

It's just like picking up women, to get 4 you have to go after 10. To get an LP of 14 songs or so they would need to work on 20 or 25.

Date: January 12, 2012 19:31

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

OK, and you know we were going to end up here...ONE freaking HIT song, by Friday!

Date: January 12, 2012 19:37

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

OK, and you know we were going to end up here...ONE freaking HIT song, by Friday!

no b-side????

Date: January 12, 2012 19:40

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

no b-side????

THat would obviously take too much time and is unnecessary in this age of downloads.

On the other hand, their b-sides have a good history of sometimes being stronger than their choice of single, so, skip the single and just record/release the b-side!

Date: January 12, 2012 19:42

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

no b-side????

THat would obviously take too much time and is unnecessary in this age of downloads.

On the other hand, their b-sides have a good history of sometimes being stronger than their choice of single, so, skip the single and just record/release the b-side!

no a-side???? (asked as an aside)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-12 19:42 by StonesTod.

Date: January 12, 2012 19:45

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

no b-side????

now i'm totally confused, absolutely b-side myself. Truly, I'm looking right at me.

Date: January 12, 2012 19:48

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

no b-side????

Maybe they known that and used that as a principle since all their songs have sounded like B-sides for ages...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-12 19:49 by Doxa.

Date: January 12, 2012 19:54

Doxa
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

no b-side????

Maybe they known that and used that as a principle since all their songs have sounded like B-sides for ages...

- Doxa

b-sides should be saved for the b-stage or b-damned

Date: January 13, 2012 01:17

StonesTod
Doxa
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

no b-side????

- Doxa

I'm b-mused by all this

Date: January 13, 2012 01:22

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Doxa
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

no b-side????

- Doxa

I'm b-mused by all this

as the beatles so eloquently sang: letter b

Date: January 13, 2012 01:39

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Doxa
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

no b-side????

- Doxa

I'm b-mused by all this

I think we both know that was actually a sesame street bastardization.

Date: January 13, 2012 01:41

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Doxa
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
donvis

no b-side????

- Doxa

I'm b-mused by all this

I think we both know that was actually a sesame street bastardization.

sesame street rocks. i liked U really got a hold of me, too.

Date: January 13, 2012 13:26

Hmm.. I've been quite critical here about the idea of an album of covers but this is what I seemingly wrote just two years ago:

"The Stones is an incredible blues band. Maybe they should - even though I've been critical of the idea - a pure blues album just based on covers. I think that kind of thing would be much interesting than A BIGGER BANG type of album based on dried out ideas. Just gather (all) into studio together for few weeks and start jamming and listen your old blues records. Ask friends to guest and jam with them - Buddy Guy, Clapton, Macca, Taylor, Wyman... and call it ALL THEM BLUES or IT'S ALL BLUES or THE ROLLING STONES PLAYS THE BLUES WITH FRIENDS or something. And ask Jack Frost to produce it!"

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: January 13, 2012 14:00

Doxa
Hmm.. I've been quite critical here about the idea of an album of covers but this is what I seemingly wrote just two years ago:

"The Stones is an incredible blues band. Maybe they should - even though I've been critical of the idea - a pure blues album just based on covers. I think that kind of thing would be much interesting than A BIGGER BANG type of album based on dried out ideas. Just gather (all) into studio together for few weeks and start jamming and listen your old blues records. Ask friends to guest and jam with them - Buddy Guy, Clapton, Macca, Taylor, Wyman... and call it ALL THEM BLUES or IT'S ALL BLUES or THE ROLLING STONES PLAYS THE BLUES WITH FRIENDS or something. And ask Jack Frost to produce it!"

grinning smiley

- Doxa

you actually went back two years to see what you wrote?

hmmm...i'd be very interested to see what you wrote four years ago. maybe you wind up going into a terminal loop every coupla years. if so, i believe they anti-virus remedies for that now....

Date: January 13, 2012 14:58

StonesTod
Doxa

grinning smiley

- Doxa

you actually went back two years to see what you wrote?

hmmm...i'd be very interested to see what you wrote four years ago. maybe you wind up going into a terminal loop every coupla years. if so, i believe they anti-virus remedies for that now....

Actually, I happened to check my old blues thread (to back up my stuff in the recent Blues Hall of Fame thread), and I found that bit which amused me quite a lot considering what I have just said here...

But honestly, my opinions might vary so much in any given subject probably even weekly-base so it is actually a dare to look what I have written two, or for or six or whatever years ago...so many 'inconsistencies'... always frightening when someone pumps up an old thread from, say, 2004 or 2005 to see what a hec I've been writing then. But look, Tod, there is one positive effect in talking too much and inconsistently: if I really get tired to argue with you or other people here, I might start arguing with my old posts... there is always somthing I would not agree with...

- Doxa

Date: January 13, 2012 15:16

Doxa I too don't always necessarily agree with eveything I ever said!

Date: December 2, 2016 05:20

Thank me everyone. I first proposed this in 2012!!!! And a lot of you shot me down!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1606
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home