Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Stones Will Surge Past Beatles By Achieving Historic 50th And One Last Great Album!
Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:03

If you think there isn't a battle for the title (albeit mythical) of greatest rock 'n roll band of all time then you are living in some idealistic dreamland. If you think there is no competition between fans of the Beatles and Stones for that title then you probably believe that males will stop warring against one another and there will be peace on earth someday. Never happen!

I am not a Beatles basher. In fact, I love the Beatles and considered them my favorite band for decades. About nine years ago I witnessed the Rolling Stones on HBO and decided that they had had least drawn even with the Beatles for the mythical title of greatest rock 'n roll band of all time.

It is time for rock historians and the media to acknowledge the overall achievements (body of work) by the Rolling Stones. Fortunately, that is beginning to happen. The media has been "all over" the historic 50th anniversary next summer. Even the Stones themselves have acknowledged how important next year is.

If the Rolling Stones can somehow dig down deep and produce one last great album, achieve 50 years, and go out with at least one last great live performance, (maybe even a tour) the media and rock historians will have no alternative but to declare the Stones the greatest of all time. I mean, the Beatles went dead in the water over 40 years ago! Time to give the Stones their due!

Re: Stones Will Surge Past Beatles By Achieving Historic 50th And One Last Great Album!
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:08

thewatchman
The media has been "all over" the historic 50th anniversary next summer.
give me 8 examples of the media being "all over" this story.

Re: Stones Will Surge Past Beatles By Achieving Historic 50th And One Last Great Album!
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:09

we all think The Rolling Stones is the greatest Rock'n'Roll band in the world, but who is greater than John Lennon?

2 1 2 0

Date: November 29, 2011 22:13

thewatchman
If the Rolling Stones can somehow dig down deep and produce one last great album, achieve 50 years, and go out with at least one last great live performance, (maybe even a tour) the media and rock historians will have no alternative but to declare the Stones the greatest of all time.
It seems as though you don't really have much faith in your beloved Stones. If they were the greatest then why would they need to "dig down deep"? Wouldn't producing something great one last time be easy for them?

Also, just because the Stones have been around for 50 years and The Beatles haven't doesn't make them better or make them "surge past The Beatles". Quality over quantity. The Stones certainly have done a lot of crap over the years. I think their legacy would have been stronger if they closed up shop decades ago.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 22:18 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:15

How does a 50th anniversary have anything to do with greatness? Simply being around for 50 years isn't going to change the minds of people who already have an opinion on the matter. Somebody isn't going to be like "The Beatles are the best band ever... what's that you say? The Stones are turning 50? I change my mind". To many people it's quality and not quantity. And many people (not myself) think that the Stones haven't put out anything great since Exile, or for some it's Some Girls. The Who will be turning 50 in a few years, will that make them better than the Beatles too? And if the Stones stop at 50 and The Who make it to 51 does that make them better than the Stones?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:21

Four studio albums in the last 25 years doesn't bode well for "surging past" anyone...not exactly a plethora of creative output for the entire second half of the band's existence. Of course, not sure why any of these silly comparisons even matter to anyone over 12.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:22

Come On
we all think The Rolling Stones is the greatest Rock'n'Roll band in the world, but who is greater than John Lennon?

Paul McCartney. He is the one that has kept the spirit of the Beatles alive.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:25

thewatchman
If you think there isn't a battle for the title (albeit mythical) of greatest rock 'n roll band of all time then you are living in some idealistic dreamland. If you think there is no competition between fans of the Beatles and Stones for that title then you probably believe that males will stop warring against one another and there will be peace on earth someday. Never happen!

I am not a Beatles basher. In fact, I love the Beatles and considered them my favorite band for decades. About nine years ago I witnessed the Rolling Stones on HBO and decided that they had had least drawn even with the Beatles for the mythical title of greatest rock 'n roll band of all time.

It is time for rock historians and the media to acknowledge the overall achievements (body of work) by the Rolling Stones. Fortunately, that is beginning to happen. The media has been "all over" the historic 50th anniversary next summer. Even the Stones themselves have acknowledged how important next year is.

If the Rolling Stones can somehow dig down deep and produce one last great album, achieve 50 years, and go out with at least one last great live performance, (maybe even a tour) the media and rock historians will have no alternative but to declare the Stones the greatest of all time. I mean, the Beatles went dead in the water over 40 years ago! Time to give the Stones their due!

Please do calm down and get yourself a nice cup of herbal-tea

Date: November 29, 2011 22:26

thewatchman
Come On

well me too in a way....grinning smiley it's me and Paul...

Date: November 29, 2011 22:32

ummm...no.

Date: November 29, 2011 22:35

The real dilemma is when one man's idealistic dreamland is another man's real world. Sadly then there is only medication to bridge the gap.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:44

Come On

Mick Jagger.

Stones greatest R'n'R band, Mick greatest frontman ever.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:48

mtaylor
Come On

Mick Jagger.

Stones greatest R'n'R band, Mick greatest frontman ever.

....yes, and by lightyears too.

Date: November 29, 2011 22:50

Jah Paul
Of course, not sure why any of these silly comparisons even matter to anyone over 12.
Welcome to IORR, it'll bring the 12 year old out of you!

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:58

Very well said thewatchman, I love the Beatles myself BUT the Stones are my No1 and they have lasted as a group for so much longer and done so much more, tours,films,
albums ie CD's and DVD'

One brilliant Rythm'n Blues album with 10 new tracks and a Tour with it, we'll all be happy.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 30, 2011 01:00

Give me f***ing strength.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 30, 2011 01:05

thewatchman
Come On

Are you on something?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 30, 2011 01:27

thewatchman
If you think there isn't a battle for the title (albeit mythical) of greatest rock 'n roll band of all time then you are living in some idealistic dreamland.
The same argument could be made for those who think there is a battle...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 30, 2011 01:29

Come On

As a solo act? Just about everyone.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 30, 2011 01:32

So when this hypothetical changing of the guard happens, and the entire world's opinion is changed, do the Stones get a trophy?

Or just one of these?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 30, 2011 01:57

um no they wont even if they last for a 100 year tour

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 30, 2011 02:12

As much as we love The Stones,they will always be second to the Beatles...

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 30, 2011 02:45

It's curious, while Colonial did these exact kinds of threads about the Stones' past, the Watchman does them about their future.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: November 30, 2011 05:53

Come On

Bob Dylan.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: November 30, 2011 07:47

bestfour
One brilliant Rythm'n Blues album with 10 new tracks and a Tour with it, we'll all be happy.

Really? People on this board happy? People on this board satisfied with The Stones no matter what they do? I'll believe that when I see it.

[www.non-filters.com]

Date: November 30, 2011 08:13

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 30, 2011 12:09

I'm so tired...

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 30, 2011 16:51

Musically speaking, Paul McCartney was the king of the 60s. Just ask them who were there.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 30, 2011 17:12

thewatchman

it's nothing compared to epic battle between the ray conniff singers and the johnny mann singers...i've literally seen blood splattered in barroom brawls over this...the mann folks usually win...but i'm pulling for the conniff dudes....

Date: November 30, 2011 17:16

ROPENI
As much as we love The Stones,they will always be second to the Beatles...

Yes.

All because they were first and the media loves their lulu-bye children type songs.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home