Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Do you Think I Really Care ?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 21, 2011 23:39

Munichhilton
But on the same deluxe CD you have "When You're Gone". Perhaps their finest Blues release since "Little Red Rooster" in Toronto...

The intro to "Keep Up Blues" is the same guitar as on the old outtake isolated and properly mixed. Same tone, same feel. You don't like it?

I am sorry, I tried to listen to When You're Gone, but I never achieved to listen through to the end.

I am sorry. Jagger's 2011 lyrics are child's poems and I can't stand his effected nasal voice...

Listening to Brussels '73 I am really amazed -he really was the best Rock singer of the 70's, nothing but the deepest respect. But this Some Girls Deluxe?

Horrible.

Mathijs

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 21, 2011 23:43

don't apologize, mathijs...i doubt this was entirely your fault...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 21, 2011 23:46

Mathijs

Listening to Brussels '73 I am really amazed -he really was the best Rock singer of the 70's, nothing but the deepest respect.

Mathijs

Well that explains it.
They must've released Brussels '73 as a smoke screen diverting unwanted attention away from the Super Duper 2011 vocals.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 23:57

Amsterdamned
I think Mick deserved a better backing track here.This is a great rock singer backed up by a soft wedding party band.

That the problem for me with the original track, it was musically weak...like incidental music from Debbie Does Dallas. I haven't listened to the track yet, and reading these raves, I'm thinking either Mick did something extraordinary with an orinary track ....or I'm remembering a different outtake than everyone else.

Date: November 22, 2011 00:09

Ok, I listened.....
at least Mathijs liked the original track.
I have no issue with Jagger's voice here - its not so nasal and sounds good actually. The song is just not that interesting to me. No real melody, no real structure - it just meanders....like an outtake.
WHen I think of "I Need You" or "Misty Roads" or "Fiji Jim - this track pales.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 22, 2011 00:15

stupidguy2
Ok, I listened.....

Thanks for the info, that helps. thumbs up

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 22, 2011 00:16

Erik_Snow
I was fearing the worst after hearing Jagger's new vocals on Don't Be A Stranger....ugh

- but the new vocals here on Do You Think I Really Care is excellent ! Not affected or anything....just lose and great. What a treat

Maybe Jagger should re-record the Exile Deluxe disc this year; as he seems to be more confident in layering his vocals over old recordings; now in 2011 ?
I agree Erik,this track is really well constructed,could easily become a favourite country Stones track.
Last years effort at adding new vocals on Exile was a disappointment and I rarely play it,this new set sounds much more enjoyable

Date: November 22, 2011 01:44

stupidguy2
Ok, I listened.....
I have no issue with Jagger's voice here - its not so nasal and sounds good actually. The song is just not that interesting to me. No real melody, no real structure - it just meanders....like an outtake.

Hey stupidguy2
We completely agree on this one!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 22, 2011 01:45

Jagger's vocals are charming, I like listening to the new Some Girls, but I do not take it all too serious.

Date: November 22, 2011 02:59

Munichhilton
stupidguy2
Ok, I listened.....

Hey stupidguy2
We completely agree on this one!

I never got the love for this track. Its a very weak interpretation of country, with Jagger's over-the-top twang and random lyrics. At least Faw Away Eyes was funny and had charm and an irreverence. The original Spare Parts was far better, more authentic.
'Do You' just sounds like a lark, a half-hearted one. Jagger's new vocals are actually stronger than the original, and the lyrics more complete, but there is still something lame about the song.
I don't get it, especially considering stuff like A Different Kind, with its melancholy refrain, steel guitar, half-done lyrics and more complete music structure - could have really used some finishing. That song sounded like a whole song just waiting for some great lyrics.
And considering that fact that there are several covers on this cd -
It almost seems like Jagger just didn't want to look too hard and finished the simplest tracks he could find.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-22 03:18 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 22, 2011 03:35

I'm thankful for any new stuff the Stones throw at us and have been so since 1983, but I'm not too pleased with the vocals on this. They start out find, but the more the song progresses, the worse they get, as Mick shouts louder and louder and it really spoils it to my ears.

Date: November 22, 2011 04:51

stupidguy2
I never got the love for this track. Its a very weak interpretation of country, with Jagger's over-the-top twang and random lyrics.

Not his best work nope.
But better than nothing I suppose.

Its not as bad as 'Don't Be A Stranger' which I can never quite finish!

Now for a new thread suggestion:

YOU WIN AGAIN
Keith or Mick

Keith recorded a fantastic version of this a couple years back and released it.
Now Mick has thrown his version into the mix.

Who owned it??
stupidguy2 is this where we part ways again?

I like Keith's version

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:27

.............And finally listened to it. Wonderful track!

Love that Mick kept/re-did the "Here I come" right at the beginning and the "country yelp" at the end. Overall, a nice track with Mick delivering a great 2011 overdub.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 22, 2011 15:37

This song is growing on me. I liked it at first, but I didn't think - "wow,this is really amazing song!". But then - and so it was with Plundered- it started live in me and gradually fascinated me.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 22, 2011 16:31

If this song was on A Bigger Bang everyone would be ripping it apart.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 22, 2011 16:43

More Hot Rocks
If this song was on A Bigger Bang everyone would be ripping it apart.

And if the entire Bigger Bang was on Some Girls; you'd be tearing ABB part - and you know it tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-22 16:47 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 22, 2011 17:09

gotta give the mickster credit on this one...a reasonable facsimile of his '77 twanginess...and only a few minor missteps...one of the better trax on the album...but as a whole the bonus disc comes off as pretty flat...needed some punching up with the inclusion of....oh, i don't know....FIJI JIM??? I NEED YOU??? MISTY ROADS???? just sayin'.....

Date: November 22, 2011 18:29

"The best find is "Do You Think I Really Care," a countrified ramble through New York nightlife driven by Ronnie Wood's pedal steel and Charlie Watts' drums. Mick chases an erotic mirage all over the city, from the D train to Max's Kansas City. Who else but the Stones could blow off a song this great?"

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Date: November 23, 2011 11:39

And “Do You Think I Really Care?” benefits tremendously from this back-to-the-future approach. It’s a strange hybrid: a country song about missing a girl in mid-seventies New York City with nice slide work by Ronnie Wood, at the time a new official member of the band. In its earlier incarnation, it was known as “I Need a Yellow Cab,” and the Stones just couldn’t get it right. Jagger has said that he had two good verses and needed five. Here, he finds the other three.

Read more [www.newyorker.com]

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 23, 2011 13:42

From what I'd expected with the new vocals, it's a good surprise, I like itthumbs up

HMN

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 23, 2011 13:50

That's great.

What's different with Mick's voice here?

More bluesy, slurry, confident? The way it used to be?

If he can still do this the Stones might have one album left in them.

Date: November 23, 2011 14:02

It's good little song. Jagger sings good, but stretches the nasal thing a bit too much towards the ending.

I reckon some of the critics here really don't like country music?

IMO, the steel guitar is tastefully played, just as Charlie's drumming is.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:00

proudmary

interesting review...they call the covers filler. I couldn't disagree more, but it's an interesting argument for sure.

Date: November 23, 2011 16:39

Rip This
proudmary

interesting review...they call the covers filler. I couldn't disagree more, but it's an interesting argument for sure.

the whole disc is fillers by the very definition of the term. not a criticism, just a reflection of reality...

Date: November 23, 2011 16:50

Rip This
proudmary

This ir really a good article. Not so often one can read something worthwhile about the Stones as creative artists, rather than celebrities with their squabbles, appearances, age...

Date: November 23, 2011 18:34

StonesTod
Rip This
proudmary

the whole disc is fillers by the very definition of the term. not a criticism, just a reflection of reality...

I smell what you're cooking...but Claudine definetely isn't filler...that was headed for a release until Mick got wind he'd get sued....Talahassee Lasee might be filler but the other 2 covers are pretty awesome.

Date: November 23, 2011 18:41

Rip This
StonesTod
Rip This
proudmary

I smell what you're cooking...but Claudine definetely isn't filler...that was headed for a release until Mick got wind he'd get sued....Talahassee Lasee might be filler but the other 2 covers are pretty awesome.

i might agree with you about claudine...but the covers are pretty rote and unremarkable...but as filler they are killer...or something...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2011 18:46

Hey, these are outtakes, people. There's a reason they were not considered strong enough 31 years ago to make the cut.

"Do You..." is growing on me. The one I think is overrated is "Claudine". Despite it's legendary status, it comes off as a two-chord throwaway novelty, which it is. I am very surprised that this was even considered for the SG album.

Date: November 23, 2011 18:49

71Tele
Hey, these are outtakes, people. There's a reason they were not considered strong enough 31 years ago to make the cut.

"Do You..." is growing on me. The one I think is overrated is "Claudine". Despite it's legendary status, it comes off as a two-chord throwaway novelty, which it is. I am very surprised that this was even considered for the SG album.

tend to agree with you. i actually like the elongated, bluesy version better..always have.

Date: November 23, 2011 19:41

StonesTod
i might agree with you about claudine...but the covers are pretty rote and unremarkable...but as filler they are killer...or something...

...I got nothing after filler /killer. Happy Thanksgiving.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home