Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Do you Think I Really Care ?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 21, 2011 04:58

I'll let you know where I stand on Tuesday! Monday.

Damn, I thought this was being released Tuesday 11/22. It's tomorrow the 21st. Sweet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 06:20 by Justin.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 07:04

I can't effin' believe it. Wow, just wow. On first listen I'd say they blew the much vaunted and beloved outtake version out of the water. I'm in shock. As someone said, Jagger's '78 vocals match better to current than early 70s.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 07:20

I have a hard time believing the umbrella up the "booty" line is from 2011, it sounds too much like late '70s Jagger. I mean he did a nice job adding the new vox, but you can kind of tell where they are, voice is a bit thinner and on that line his voice is more throaty than nasal, plus the scream that follows sound bit like the screams in Star, Star

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 07:42

Munichhilton
My Deluxe CD Package strangely includes "I need you" which was a nice treat...

Really? You mean, as a hidden remastered bonus track, with new vocals and such?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 07:44 by sf37.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 21, 2011 09:48

Probably the famous bootleg version is not so stuck in my mind that I find this 'new' version very good indeed. Yeah, I was worried about Jagger's delivery and my expectations were quite low. But he surprised me with this one. In fact, the very first line he makes with 100% Jaggerish tone convinced me immedeatily that this will work. The magic is there. That "dink" and "gaaal"...

I just love the song, and its structure. That's so late 70's Stones - little melodic hooks and repeated verses and lines (but always with little variation in 'interpretation'). The performance and the song structure go so hand in hand - the result sound so relaxed, groovie, vital, natural...

There is also in this SOME GIRLS out-take somthing crucial that is not sometimes so well recognized in regards to the album. One form of reaction of the punk kick to balls was to to rediscover their old essence. There is that kind of lightness, braveness and joy in their attitude as they last time had with AFTERMATH. This is no way to 'mock' the golden era where they go so deep in their studies of the blues rock format taht any band ever has gone. But by BLACK&BLUE they had used any reasonable spark of idea to it, and seemed out of inspiration. In SOME GIRLS they lighten up their attitude, and found this "hey, let's just fun, and let us just try any crazy idea, and let us not think twice. Besides that's alright, even fashion now." And it worked: they found the inspiration again.

So to me "Do You Think I Really Care?" is an air bridge between the mid-60's era and the late-70's eras. A key song in that respect. It is the Jagger of AFTERMATH singing about "gals" again, but now a bit more cynical and life experienced mode. (Besides the whole theme of AFTERMATH was really proto version of SOME GIRLS, right? Funnily they captured there the swingin London atmospher in Hollywood, and with SOME GIRLS they captured the mid/late seventies New York atmsophere in Paris.... But the real subject matter is the 'relationship to the girls' in both cases.)

At the moment the song is my favourite in Bonus album. In fact, it is not far from the "Plundered My Soul" status. And that means a lot.thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 21, 2011 12:43

Doxa
At the moment the song is my favourite in Bonus album. In fact, it is not far from the "Plundered My Soul" status. And that means a lot.thumbs up

- Doxa

+1. You're right - the magic is there.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: November 21, 2011 13:54

+1
Great vocal performance by Jagger this time - effortless and tasteful.
Sounds almost like there was a finished outtake in the can.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 21, 2011 16:16

Mathijs
I think Jagger totally ruined a fantastic outtake. This is just really unlistenable. The original take has a band that is communicating -all fills by Wood are a reaction to what and how Jagger is singing, the same for the piano and Charlie and Bill. It's one of those golden moments in the studio where a band is totally gelling.

Now Jagger is just totally overpowering the music, screaming over the music. The band totally doesn't make sense anymore. Wood's licks are completely in the air, the piano is playing a different song than what Jagger is singing.

Horrible.

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs,
i usually agree with you, especially on the current Mick's way of singing, but
but i completely disagree with you about this song.
This is a good song and Mick did a great job on this one.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 21, 2011 16:26

sf37
Munichhilton

Yup
Hidden, remastered, bonus, and ticklish. No new vocals. In fact its very much the same as the "Accidents Will Happen' version. Really almost as if I had just clicked and dragged it into the Some Girls folder, but I don't remember doing that...

Date: November 21, 2011 16:28

Munichhilton
sf37
Munichhilton

Yup
Hidden, remastered, bonus, and ticklish. No new vocals. In fact its very much the same as the "Accidents Will Happen' version. Really almost as if I had just clicked and dragged it into the Some Girls folder, but I don't remember doing that...

...with 'Misty Roads' would have been the perfect reissue!

Date: November 21, 2011 16:30

KRiffhard
Munichhilton
sf37
Munichhilton

Yup

Not if he redid vocals like "Don't Be A Stranger". But yeah, what another great outtake...

Date: November 21, 2011 16:37

Munichhilton
sf37
Munichhilton

Yup

Fantastic!! Thanks for the tip - - another hidden gem! I can hardly wait to pick up my copy today and play the heck out of it!

Date: November 21, 2011 16:45

Munichhilton
KRiffhard
Munichhilton
sf37
Munichhilton

Yup

Not if he redid vocals like "Don't Be A Stranger". But yeah, what another great outtake...

thumbs up Mick has ruined a good outtake.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 21, 2011 16:55

KRiffhard
Mathijs
I think Jagger totally ruined a fantastic outtake. This is just really unlistenable. The original take has a band that is communicating -all fills by Wood are a reaction to what and how Jagger is singing, the same for the piano and Charlie and Bill. It's one of those golden moments in the studio where a band is totally gelling.

Now Jagger is just totally overpowering the music, screaming over the music. The band totally doesn't make sense anymore. Wood's licks are completely in the air, the piano is playing a different song than what Jagger is singing.

Horrible.

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs,

Maybe I put it a bit too strong. But to me if feels a bit like sacrilege. The outtake is such a perfect piece of music to, and has been since it came out in the early 90’s, it just sounds so wrong what Jagger has done to it. To me it would be equal to Jagger asking Matt Clifford to overdub Jones’s sitar with his synthesizer on Pain it Black because ‘the sound could be improved and the synth has a nice tremolo thingy’. To me it’s a piece of music history that you just don’t mess with.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 21, 2011 16:58

I think Mick deserved a better backing track here.This is a great rock singer backed up by a soft wedding party band.

Date: November 21, 2011 17:29

Mathijs
KRiffhard
Mathijs

Horrible.

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs,

Maybe I put it a bit too strong. But to me if feels a bit like sacrilege. The outtake is such a perfect piece of music to, and has been since it came out in the early 90’s, it just sounds so wrong what Jagger has done to it. To me it would be equal to Jagger asking Matt Clifford to overdub Jones’s sitar with his synthesizer on Pain it Black because ‘the sound could be improved and the synth has a nice tremolo thingy’. To me it’s a piece of music history that you just don’t mess with.

Mathijs

I prefer the outtake too, it sounds more authentic and has fantastic piano and guitars. However is a good version and Mick has not ruined it as he did with 'Don't be a stranger'

Date: November 21, 2011 17:58

sf37
Munichhilton
sf37
Munichhilton

Yup

Fantastic!! Thanks for the tip - - another hidden gem! I can hardly wait to pick up my copy today and play the heck out of it!

I'm not sure it will be on your copy.
Mine is pretty customized....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 21, 2011 18:08

Mathijs
KRiffhard
Mathijs

Horrible.

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs,

Mathijs

As I wrote on page 1, I think this new Do You Really Think I Care is terrific;
so we differ there. But meanwhile we both like the charm of the original; it's no surprise (to me) that Jagger felt like new vocals was necessary - unlike the sitar on Paint It Black; as the lyrics on the original defintely could benefit from being more "finsihed", as Jagger repeats himself too much; and seems to be out of words at times. I thought the new lyrics (as well as the singing) lifted up this song; to an even better height....something I never expected in the first place
The 'umbrella up your arse' line was excellent..!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 21, 2011 18:17

the boot version vocal is a guide vocal, albeit a fairly "final-sounding" one. you KNOW jagger could never issue a guide vocal on an official release. my, how that would raise eyebrows around the globe.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 21, 2011 18:20

Stones Blah
If you don't like these versions don't buy the new disc, just listen to your old boots and shut the @uck up!!!!!!!!!

can i listen to my old boots and still not do the other thing?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 21, 2011 18:25

StonesTod
the boot version vocal is a guide vocal, albeit a fairly "final-sounding" one. you KNOW jagger could never issue a guide vocal on an official release. my, how that would raise eyebrows around the globe.

Indeed
"Guide vocals"....yes that's the term I didn't remember, when writing the post above

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: November 21, 2011 18:40

Erik_Snow
Mathijs
KRiffhard
Mathijs

Horrible.

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs,

Mathijs

As I wrote on page 1, I think this new Do You Really Think I Care is terrific;
so we differ there. But meanwhile we both like the charm of the original; it's no surprise (to me) that Jagger felt like new vocals was necessary - unlike the sitar on Paint It Black; as the lyrics on the original defintely could benefit from being more "finsihed", as Jagger repeats himself too much; and seems to be out of words at times. I thought the new lyrics (as well as the singing) lifted up this song; to an even better height....something I never expected in the first place
The 'umbrella up your arse' line was excellent..!

You're right, Erik - good performance, excellent (new) lyric. Makes the song even more charming. As convicing as "Pass Me The Wine", I'd say
(remember that line "Glad I still have a pot to piss in..."?).

And we still have the cherished old rehearsal version. So nothing to complain about this time.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 18:44 by Greenblues.

Date: November 21, 2011 18:40

StonesTod
Stones Blah
If you don't like these versions don't buy the new disc, just listen to your old boots and shut the @uck up!!!!!!!!!

can i listen to my old boots and still not do the other thing?

There's more old boots then there are old doctors...

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: November 21, 2011 18:55

Quote :
"Does he actually say "Hey put yer umbrella up yer ares baby" at the end?
I had to ask my daughters to leave the room!
Great take on a great outtake..."

What's the problem with this sentence?
An umbrella when it's raining seems normal for me but english is not my first language.

Date: November 21, 2011 19:00

Munichhilton
sf37
Munichhilton
sf37
Munichhilton

Yup

I'm not sure it will be on your copy.
Mine is pretty customized....

Yes, I guess I'll just have to hope for the best. Maybe it will depend on which package I actually purchase (did you simply buy the double-CD or the whole deluxe package with the Some Girls DVD as well, if you don't mind my asking?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 19:01 by sf37.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: November 21, 2011 19:02

Amsterdamned
I think Mick deserved a better backing track here.This is a great rock singer backed up by a soft wedding party band.

I thought you played in a "soft wedding party band" with some other failed jazz musicians...

Date: November 21, 2011 19:37

marclaff
Quote :
"Does he actually say "Hey put yer umbrella up yer ares baby" at the end?
I had to ask my daughters to leave the room!
Great take on a great outtake..."

What's the problem with this sentence?
An umbrella when it's raining seems normal for me but english is not my first language.

Well, I guess the theory is that an umbrella could be far less useful if its up ones arse rather than held aloft sheltering the head area.

Date: November 21, 2011 22:57

Vocalion
Amsterdamned

I thought you played in a "soft wedding party band" with some other failed jazz musicians...

hahaha!

Mathijs

Date: November 21, 2011 23:19

Anyway, I kind of think the same about 'Keep up Blues'.

This is one of those magnificant outtakes -you could imagine the Stones deciding at the end of the session, at 7 in the morning and after two ounces of coke 'let's do this Howlin' Wolf track 'Some People Tell Me'. And what happens -Jagger delivers one his best ever vocal perfomences, the band really locks and gells. Wood and Richards play the best ever Hubert Sumlin tribute.

Now this new release. What do we have? The intro is fake -that is not Richards or Wood. And then Jagger...this is ballroom blues. Singing about a leaking roof, backed by that fake harmonica. Didn't anyone tell Jagger that you can't sing the blues when you're 70 and have 700 million on the bank?

This is the same kind of blues as Fancy Man Blues -fake, empty, hollow. There's no urgency, it's ballroom blues by the numbers.

If Jagger really dared he would have released the original version, just as Do You Think -and tell the press and the audience and the fans to fvck off,

'yes I know it's not finished but it is @#$%& good, that's what we where at the time. We where @#$%& good'.

Mathijs

Date: November 21, 2011 23:27

But on the same deluxe CD you have "When You're Gone". Perhaps their finest Blues release since "Little Red Rooster" in Toronto...

The intro to "Keep Up Blues" is the same guitar as on the old outtake isolated and properly mixed. Same tone, same feel. You don't like it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 23:32 by Munichhilton.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home