Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Landmark Rolling Stones concerts
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 3, 2011 20:15

The Rolling Stones have played more than 2000 concerts in their long and rock and rolling career. There must have been a couple that could be seen as "important stages" or "turning points" in their touring history. I am sure everybody has a different opinion although most people would probably agreed that Altamont belongs to that category. I believe that the 2 El Mocambo shows played in 1977 were also very important shows. I think the Rolling Stones hadn't played a club-gig since 1971 (Marquee club). When they toured in 1972 and 1973 I don't think they did any club. Then 1975 and 1976 no clubs either. Going to the club produced a great musical side on "Love you Live" and seemed to have energized the Stones. It also enable thousand of fans that had only experienced the Stones as a stadium or arena act to hear them in their natural element, the club. In subsequent tours the Rolling Stones kept playing clubs and even build the B stage to celebrate the spirit of a true rock and roll show. Hail Hail to El Mocambo!
Rock and Roll,
mops

Re: Landmark Rolling Stones concerts
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 3, 2011 20:18

My guess :
NME Poll Winners
Altamont
their first MSG
Hyde Park
Knebworth
The first time in Japan 1990
SARSstock
Rio 2006

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 3, 2011 20:19

1978, New Orleans, largest indoor crowd, 80000-plus

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 3, 2011 20:27

their first one on their upcoming 70th anniversary tour will surely be noteworthy.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 3, 2011 20:31

Baton Rouge 1975 belongs here; Ron Wood's first concert with the band ...a great concert by the way
....and not to forget Prague 1990

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 3, 2011 20:32

Berlin,Waldbühne 1965

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 3, 2011 20:34

rollmops
I think the Rolling Stones hadn't played a club-gig since 1971 (Marquee club).

The played at the 100 Club, London, 1982. Isn't that even smaller than the Marquee Club ?

Posted by: polandstones ()
Date: November 3, 2011 20:47

Warsaw 1967. The first concert behind the Iron Curtain

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: November 3, 2011 21:31

rollmops
The Rolling Stones have played more than 2000 concerts in their long and rock and rolling career. There must have been a couple that could be seen as "important stages" or "turning points" in their touring history. I am sure everybody has a different opinion although most people would probably agreed that Altamont belongs to that category. I believe that the 2 El Mocambo shows played in 1977 were also very important shows. I think the Rolling Stones hadn't played a club-gig since 1971 (Marquee club). When they toured in 1972 and 1973 I don't think they did any club. Then 1975 and 1976 no clubs either. Going to the club produced a great musical side on "Love you Live" and seemed to have energized the Stones. It also enable thousand of fans that had only experienced the Stones as a stadium or arena act to hear them in their natural element, the club. In subsequent tours the Rolling Stones kept playing clubs and even build the B stage to celebrate the spirit of a true rock and roll show. Hail Hail to El Mocambo!
Rock and Roll,
mops

Roll - In 1972 they played the Hollywood Palladium - a small club
blew the roof off the place!!!
MLC

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 3, 2011 21:35

Nicaraguan benefit '73

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: November 3, 2011 23:07

Edith Grove

Really? The sound usually isn't good at all (for The Stones or anyone) in a large, indoor stadium.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 3, 2011 23:20

uhbuhgullayew
Edith Grove

Really? The sound usually isn't good at all (for The Stones or anyone) in a large, indoor stadium.

True, especially in 1978 !

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 3, 2011 23:25

MCDDTLC
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
mops

Roll - In 1972 they played the Hollywood Palladium - a small club
blew the roof off the place!!!
MLC

Bit of a stretch to call a venue that can hold over 4,000 a 'small club'..!

A club is somewhere thats smaller than a theatre. The Whiskey a Go Go, Troubadour or the Viper Room would be LA venues that would fall into that category. The Palladium is large even by the standards of a theatre! The Wiltern Theatre, where they played an LA show in 2002 is considerably smaller.

The only clubs the Stones have played proper concerts in since 1971 would be the 100 Club in London, the El Mocambo, Sir Morgan's Cove in '81, the Double Door in Chicago, Toad's in Newhaven, Ct and the various clubs where theyve played tour warm up shows in Toronto.

Important stages/turning points/landmark shows? I cant imagine too many club shows would fall into that category as few people witnessed them. The first show at the Marquee in '62 would be an exception.

Most significant shows, historically -

Hyde Park '69
MSG '69
Altamont '69
Rio '06

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: November 3, 2011 23:30

Kansas City 12-14-1981. The ONLY concert with 7 currant or former stones playing at the same time (including Stu of course).

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 3, 2011 23:35

Kurhaus Den Haag '64
Brussels '73

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: November 4, 2011 00:00

June 22, 1975 Start of 6 consecutive nights at Madison Square Garden

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 4, 2011 00:57

NICOS
Kurhaus Den Haag '64
Brussels '73

Good point on the Kurhaus show.

Cant agree on Brussels '73. It was no more significant or a landmark than any other show from that era. It just happens to be one that circulates on a terrific bootleg.

Posted by: murf3901 ()
Date: November 4, 2011 01:12

all 12 of my shows

Date: November 4, 2011 01:21

I think that the early Crawdaddy club gigs should certainly make this list.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 4, 2011 01:41

Nov 27,1969. Madison Square Garden.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 4, 2011 01:55

what about when they played in hongkong,and when they played in china (mainland)

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 4, 2011 05:04

November 13, 1994.

Certainly a turning point in my life as it was my first show. Sadly what went on that night is lost to the ages as no recording exists.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: November 4, 2011 05:38

Edith Grove

I was there, sit way too far back though, dang it.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 4, 2011 11:35

Mexico City Feb/98

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 4, 2011 11:48

Tami show. Mick gets inspired by James Brown and begins the metamorphosis to Jagger the dagger.

Shanghai Bigger Bang Tour...their first performance in Mainland China.

Altamont- They herald the death of the sixties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-04 17:29 by whitem8.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 4, 2011 15:22

Not sure whether one might call it a "landmark concert" but at least

Johanesburg,February 24th 1995

should get a mention for historic reason.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 4, 2011 15:30

Well, the first gig has to be some kinda landmark!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 4, 2011 17:09

Marquee '62
TAMI Show '64
Hawaii '66
Paris '67
Hyde Park '69
Altamont '69
Earthquake benefit '73
Baton Rouge '75
Knebworth '76
Kansas City '81
UK Aug.'90 (I forget where...London? Wyman's last show)
D.C. '94
SARS show
Super Bowl (not a real show obviously...but kinda "a big deal" )
Chicago '06 (coldest show ever....? smiling smiley I don't know, I was there, it was cold.
Rio '06

First shows in China, Russia.....can't remember the dates...

Thats a quick list off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm spacing out some goodies. Maybe I am confusing "significant" for "landmark" by including first and last shows of various band members (or session bassists as the case may be) but thats what I come up with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-04 17:18 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: November 4, 2011 17:22

Rotterdam, june 4, 1982, the first time they had me in the audience

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: November 4, 2011 19:18

Most of the shows listed here are certainly landmark in the Stones career and in the history of rock shows.

I add one that I think was important to the Rolling Stones, not necessarily a great show, but not bad either. The show is Aug.31, 1989, opening night of the Steel Wheels tour.

Before any of you go "oh, ho hum," think about what happened over the previous eight years since they had last toured north america, seven since their last tour period. All of the squabbles and many thought they would never again play together.

It was a great night in Philly. I was thrilled to be there. Most important, I do think the Stones were glad to be there and back doing what they like to do, perform. Maybe the fire has gone out or at least fading on this band, but 22 years ago, many thought we had seen the last of the world's greatest band. They have played some outstanding shows since Aug.31,1989 of which none would have never taken place if they hadn't "stuck their toe in the pool" and played live after several years of fighting (Mick and Keith) and drug problems (Charlie).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home