Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
>grinning smiley<Re: The Rolling Stones - No Spare Parts (2011) | Youtube
Date: October 24, 2011 13:25

I love this song. Both versions. Each of them captures the truth, environment, context, texture of the singer and specially the "what I feel and what is expected from me" of the respective era. The first one transpires smoke liquor and beer though. The second one is clean and consistent with the 2011 Jagger. Otherwise it would be a fake version

(I wish I knew better english to express myself hahahaha >grinning smiley<)

Re: The Rolling Stones - No Spare Parts (2011) | Youtube
Date: October 24, 2011 15:07

TooTough
compare

I really like Mick's vocals, and especially his accent here winking smiley

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:55

Turd On The Run
The re-recorded No Spare Parts with new vocals, guitars, drums (and slightly altered lyrics) is a gas to hear...and I am grateful for the effort as almost everything from that era brings a smile to my face...nevertheless, there is no avoiding the fact that Mick Jagger has fallen into the perturbing habit of too often overacting and gnawing his way through lyrics (an example of this habit marring an otherwise excellent effort is his overwrought delivery in Following The River from the Exile deluxe set). It is not only that his voice is high in the mix - something that on most of the classic records was studiously avoided - or that his delivery is at times harshly nasal...these factors are apparent, but nothing spoils a good song like the singer overplaying the moment...and Jagger has gotten into the pattern of overacting and overwhelming the song. Has the greatest ever rock and roll singer forgotten how to just let it flow? Listen to the slacked, drawling delivery in the original (bootlegged) version and listen to today's version...compare the throwaway insouciance of the 1978 version (which fit the song's dynamic perfectly) with the purposeful, earnest reading in the 2011 version...I have always loved this song, and the new version is fine...but I just wish Jagger could regain the confidence to loosen up and let his singing breathe...
agree 100%

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:05

rooster
Turd On The Run
The re-recorded No Spare Parts with new vocals, guitars, drums (and slightly altered lyrics) is a gas to hear...and I am grateful for the effort as almost everything from that era brings a smile to my face...nevertheless, there is no avoiding the fact that Mick Jagger has fallen into the perturbing habit of too often overacting and gnawing his way through lyrics (an example of this habit marring an otherwise excellent effort is his overwrought delivery in Following The River from the Exile deluxe set). It is not only that his voice is high in the mix - something that on most of the classic records was studiously avoided - or that his delivery is at times harshly nasal...these factors are apparent, but nothing spoils a good song like the singer overplaying the moment...and Jagger has gotten into the pattern of overacting and overwhelming the song. Has the greatest ever rock and roll singer forgotten how to just let it flow? Listen to the slacked, drawling delivery in the original (bootlegged) version and listen to today's version...compare the throwaway insouciance of the 1978 version (which fit the song's dynamic perfectly) with the purposeful, earnest reading in the 2011 version...I have always loved this song, and the new version is fine...but I just wish Jagger could regain the confidence to loosen up and let his singing breathe...
agree 100%

Has the greatest ever rock and roll singer forgotten how to just let it flow?

Greatest quote of the day

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:06

All of the elements of the older version worked so well because Mick came at the song for what is was worth...a lazy vocal for a rather lazily written and performed song. On the surface it sounded like a song they put together 2 minutes before the tape started rolling...hell, it even sounds like they're writing it as they're performing it. That's how loose it is. I personally let this song slide considering how "unfinished" it sounds.

Now, with all the new vocal and guitar overdubs...Mick is forcing this song to be something it's not..or ever was. By polishing up the song and filling in its cracks...the song passes that area where it was once a cute little ditty that could float on its own; now he's patched it up to a full song...full lyrics...full instrumentation...bringing the song past the finish line after 30whatever years of it stalled and forgotten on the side of the road. Now, the song's limitations are in plain view for all to see. The song's true place was how we found it on the bootleg recording.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:43

The original may be more authentic but the reworked version is a better song.
I'll take 'em both as is...Cheers

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:37

Nice song. Sounds to me like Memory Motel without the bridge. I like Micks new vocal, certainly not as bad as on some of the Superheavy stuff. Could have used some killer Keith 1978 harmony/background vocals though.

Pete.

Posted by: BobK ()
Date: October 26, 2011 14:47

Weather you like Micks vocal or not, his voice sounds different from how he sings today (listen to Super Heavy). In other words: he really tries to sound like he was sounding during Some Girls. the same with the outtakes of Exile, where he tries to sing like he did in 1971. Only Stones fans can hear the difference i think. Same with the electric guitar that they added to No Spare Parts: it has the sound of the guitars during Some Girls. Apart from the electric guitar they added an acoustic guitar. If you listen carefully to the bass, it's not exactly the same as the part on the bootleg, so maybe they also put a new bass. I also hear that they took a piano-part out of it. The drums i'm not sure if it's new, the sound is really different but this they can do in the mix ofcourse . What they kept for sure is Ronnies slide and the electric piano. So, almost a new song i guess...

Date: October 26, 2011 15:29

BobK
Weather you like Micks vocal or not, his voice sounds different from how he sings today (listen to Super Heavy). In other words: he really tries to sound like he was sounding during Some Girls. the same with the outtakes of Exile, where he tries to sing like he did in 1971. Only Stones fans can hear the difference i think. Same with the electric guitar that they added to No Spare Parts: it has the sound of the guitars during Some Girls. Apart from the electric guitar they added an acoustic guitar. If you listen carefully to the bass, it's not exactly the same as the part on the bootleg, so maybe they also put a new bass. I also hear that they took a piano-part out of it. The drums i'm not sure if it's new, the sound is really different but this they can do in the mix ofcourse . What they kept for sure is Ronnies slide and the electric piano. So, almost a new song i guess...

It might be a different take as well. There would be no need for changing Bill's bass on the original NSP, imo.

Sounds like the "new" guitar (I'm not completely convinced it's really new) plays through a phaser, as the Stones did a lot on these sessions.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 26, 2011 16:22

Gazza
Havo
well, for the first time ever--i say,this could be a no.1 hit single

Only on Mars.

Lol yeah, instantly platinum with only one sold.

This is going nowhere with the terrible mix that it is.
it's as flat as a pancake and probably cuts through ok as a ringtone on a mobile phone.
the acoustic guitar and Mick's voice are way to high in the mix and have earpiercing high frequencies, while the steel and Keith's guitar sound muffled.
very disapointing eye rolling smiley

Posted by: BobK ()
Date: October 26, 2011 16:27

What i think is funny or strange about these re-issue projects is that they try all the new musical parts (guitars, vocals, as well the production) to sound like the old parts. You can almost say that they are imitating themselves. this means that if they want, they can make another exile of some girls (soundwise), which i would like very much, because i think these albums sound much better than the ones they do now.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 26, 2011 17:19

BobK
What i think is funny or strange about these re-issue projects is that they try all the new musical parts (guitars, vocals, as well the production) to sound like the old parts. You can almost say that they are imitating themselves. this means that if they want, they can make another exile of some girls (soundwise), which i would like very much, because i think these albums sound much better than the ones they do now.

that gave me a headache

Date: October 26, 2011 17:22

BobK

But did they try all the new musical parts? New vocals and an acoustic guitar (with a contemporary sound), yes, but we don't know for sure if Ronnie's guitar is new.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 26, 2011 18:04

DandelionPowderman
BobK

But did they try all the new musical parts? New vocals and an acoustic guitar (with a contemporary sound), yes, but we don't know for sure if Ronnie's guitar is new.

They didn't do all new musical parts from what has been said. It's an outtake that was finished. How is a acoustic guitar considered to have 'a contemporary sound' when...it's a acoustic guitar? What is known is new vocal. No new Ronnie, no new Charlie, no new Keith and no new Bill.

Unless stated otherwise in the future, the only thing stated that was done to any of these tracks were new vocals.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: October 27, 2011 07:51

Listening to this song just makes me wanna say,
"YEEE Haaaaaawwww....."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 27, 2011 08:07

...Hey YEAH!!! ... makes me wanna put on some western boots and hope I get a flat-tyre

ROCKMAN

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: October 27, 2011 09:09

LOL

Date: October 27, 2011 09:54

DragonSky
DandelionPowderman
BobK

They didn't do all new musical parts from what has been said. It's an outtake that was finished. How is a acoustic guitar considered to have 'a contemporary sound' when...it's a acoustic guitar? What is known is new vocal. No new Ronnie, no new Charlie, no new Keith and no new Bill.

Unless stated otherwise in the future, the only thing stated that was done to any of these tracks were new vocals.

Listen, for instance, to the acoustic guitars on the title track Some Girls. Then you listen to Mick's guitar on No Spare Parts.

You'll find that the new acoustic recording is much brighter, less organic and, well... digitally recorded. I'm 100% sure that the acoustic guitar was played by Mick, just like he did on Following The River and Plundered My Soul (where he also stated that he just recorded vocals).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-27 09:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 27, 2011 17:13

Justin
All of the elements of the older version worked so well because Mick came at the song for what is was worth...a lazy vocal for a rather lazily written and performed song. On the surface it sounded like a song they put together 2 minutes before the tape started rolling...hell, it even sounds like they're writing it as they're performing it. That's how loose it is. I personally let this song slide considering how "unfinished" it sounds.

Now, with all the new vocal and guitar overdubs...Mick is forcing this song to be something it's not..or ever was. By polishing up the song and filling in its cracks...the song passes that area where it was once a cute little ditty that could float on its own; now he's patched it up to a full song...full lyrics...full instrumentation...bringing the song past the finish line after 30whatever years of it stalled and forgotten on the side of the road. Now, the song's limitations are in plain view for all to see. The song's true place was how we found it on the bootleg recording.

completely agree. I like to listen to the bootleg version because it is that, a good sketch loosely done.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 27, 2011 17:21

DandelionPowderman
DragonSky
DandelionPowderman
BobK

Listen, for instance, to the acoustic guitars on the title track Some Girls. Then you listen to Mick's guitar on No Spare Parts.

You'll find that the new acoustic recording is much brighter, less organic and, well... digitally recorded. I'm 100% sure that the acoustic guitar was played by Mick, just like he did on Following The River and Plundered My Soul (where he also stated that he just recorded vocals).

Thank you for some context. Now it makes sense. There isn't acoustic in the boot version correct? It makes sense, for some reason, as in a bad way, that Mick put a acoustic track on it. Reality is...it didn't need one. But whatever. The powers that be decided otherwise. The only hope is there was one and it was left off that rough mix (or it wasn't done yet and was added a little later - very doubtful) that is the bootleg. I doubt it though now that you've pointed out something to compare it to.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 27, 2011 21:10

Sounds like spare parts. OK not great.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 27, 2011 22:32

What's worrisome to me is that they considered this song the best of the batch to release as a single. Just like PMS and Taylor, it begs for an RW real solo, not this 2000's thing of theirs where the singing stops and no instrument steps up to the plate and takes you somewhere melodically. Even if there's not a break/bridge on the outtake they were working on, how hard would it be to loop another verse and let Ronnie solo for a verse? They just don't know how to construct/arrange/finish songs anymore (real intros, real endings, solos, dynamics) as evidenced by the 4 new cuts on 40Licks and ABB. At some point, the producer has to take the blame, unless he's been overruled by MJ/KR.

Is it true that the bonus tunes disc will not be offered apart from buying the SG remaster? With EOMS, you could get the bonus cd solo, or in a package w/ a box, t-shirt and pick without having to buy the EOMS remaster.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:06

just received this email.

original tracks?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:14

serious gaffe there. Who sent that?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:27

Gazza
serious gaffe there. Who sent that?

"Rolling Stones" <[email protected]>

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:31

Terrible. Just heard for the first time on Toronto radio. The song is a joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-28 04:34 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:55

More Hot Rocks

Hey, I'm in your fair city tonight! Glad it stopped raining.

But you are wrong my friend...this song rocks! I mean, countries!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 28, 2011 17:03

treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks

Hey, I'm in your fair city tonight! Glad it stopped raining.

But you are wrong my friend...this song rocks! I mean, countries!

I hope you're not there to see the Maple Leafs Anyways..... The song songs like something from Hee Haw. Only a bassett hound would like it. Very childish and amaturish sounding.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 28, 2011 17:15

can anyone explain to me why it's the Maple Leafs and not the Maple Leaves?

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 18:02

It's a strong outtake.

Not as strong as Plundered My Soul but very enjoyable.

Cheers guys

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home