Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Some girls outake on Radio 2 tommorow
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 21, 2011 15:31

Greenblues
With all the comparing taking place between the old bootleg run through and the new "enhanced" version we should also keep in mind that you simply can't have everything

of course you can

Date: October 21, 2011 15:32

RobberBride
I´m one of those really happy with anything RS releases these days.

so annoying

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 21, 2011 15:32

RobberBride
I´m one of those really happy with anything RS releases these days. But, if I was Don Was I would just do one thing. One tiny thing:

A day in the studio: Vocal overdubs on "No Spare Part"

Engineer: <Click> Rolling. Take 1.
<Instrumental intro>
Mick: "Your Daddy drank himself half to..."
Don Was: <Click> Eh - Mick? <Feedback> Why don´t you cut the over-pronunciation. <Click>
Mick: The?
Don: <Click> The OVER- PRO-NUN-CI-A-TION.
Mick: Really? Where...eh....
Don: All over the place. Everywhere. Its too much.
Mick: ...
Don: ...its overacting, like every word needs a twist. Just let them flow man. Easy does it.
Mick: Yeah, ok. So ... I can do that.
Don: ...
Mick: ... in the verse and...
Don: Yeah, just do that from now on, man. In every verse. In every song from here on. Throughout your career. This ain´t no theatreplay. <Feedback. Click.>

Very funny - and something I wish could happen in reality. And the comment "Throughout your career".....LOL! - I can picture Jagger sitting there like a little schoolboy. Especially funny if the last message from Don ended with "Jesus!"

BTW; I also like the original version the best, of course - but as I expected "No Spare Parts" to feature new vocals; the results IS better than what I feared. I still think the song is allright.

Just hoping Jagger didn't do new vocals on too many of the Some Girls Deluxe tracks.

Date: October 21, 2011 15:39

Erik_Snow
Just hoping Jagger didn't do new vocals on too many of the Some Girls Deluxe tracks.

he already did. one's too many...or something. ok, i'll grudgingly give a pass on this one. but one more screwup, mick - and you'll be sorry.

Date: October 21, 2011 15:40

I like how many Stones fans think an outtake with chord changes being called out is "perfect" and "ready for release."

As for carping about Jagger's 2011 vocal delivery on "No Spare Parts," have a listen to his original vocal on "Faraway Eyes."

Date: October 21, 2011 15:45

WilliamPatrickMaynard
I like how many Stones fans think an outtake with chord changes being called out is "perfect" and "ready for release."

how many did you say?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 21, 2011 15:55

A spokeswoman for The Stones told Music Week that No Spare Parts did not have a re-recorded vocal, although other bonus tracks on the re-release do have new vocal parts.

[www.musicweek.com]

Interesting... Hands up if you believe the Spokeswoman?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 21, 2011 15:57

....no I do not.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 21, 2011 15:58

Green Lady
A spokeswoman for The Stones told Music Week that No Spare Parts did not have a re-recorded vocal, although other bonus tracks on the re-release do have new vocal parts.

[www.musicweek.com]

They said much the same thing about tracks on the EXILE extras that had obviously been spiffed up.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 21, 2011 15:59

Like several of the 'tweaked decades after-the-fact" tracks on the EXILE reissue this one has a merry-go-round feel in the chord changes as though they simply put the best playing onto a loop and let it go. It doesn't 'feel' like a real song. Certainly not a real Stones song.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 21, 2011 16:50

Green Lady

[www.musicweek.com]

Did they pull out wrong tape for radio show? Again?

Maybe there will be Mick Taylor overdubs on CD? winking smiley

Date: October 21, 2011 16:53

Green Lady

[www.musicweek.com]

it's not a matter of believing anything; it simply isn't true.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: October 21, 2011 17:04

StonesTod
Greenblues
With all the comparing taking place between the old bootleg run through and the new "enhanced" version we should also keep in mind that you simply can't have everything

of course you can

Not at once, Tod.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 17:21

WilliamPatrickMaynard

As for carping about Jagger's 2011 vocal delivery on "No Spare Parts," have a listen to his original vocal on "Faraway Eyes."

Yeah man, it completely makes Gangster's Moll especially when he gets pissy about the A minor chord and later telling the band to "keep going, keep going."

I miss the slur of course but Jagger's vox are fine on "No Spare Parts and lyrics too-though there are few lines gone from the outtake I miss, like bottles of wine on Thanksgiving afternoon" one."

Though he better not remove "eating pizza" line or reference to Giant's game on Do You Think...2011. That would be an act of lyric treason!

Date: October 21, 2011 17:22

Greenblues
StonesTod
Greenblues

of course you can

Not at once, Tod.

i'm not greedy; i'll take everything, one at a time.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 21, 2011 17:28

Green Lady

[www.musicweek.com]

interesting...insulting the intelligence of their fans (again)..if this is true.

maybe there's something about the term "re-recorded vocals" which leaves room for
interpretation. "Re-recorded vocals" vs. "New vocals"??

What next? Mick doesn't wear high-heeled Nikes?

IORR............but I like it!

Date: October 21, 2011 17:29

I really hope the band does not maintain the lie about NSP having the original vocal when they promote the album. What a ridiculous claim to make. Granted, my local radio station presented "Plundered My Soul" as if it was an untouched EXILE sessions track as well. Apparently people that aren't diehard fans will actually believe such claims. Not sure why the Stones and UMG think it will sell better that way.

Date: October 21, 2011 17:29

GetYerAngie
James Kirk
DragonSky
James Kirk
DragonSky
James Kirk
BORING...

Instead of wasting time on the past why don't they get together and make something current and push this thing as far as it can go?

Is there anything more boring than a 33 year old outtake of a half baked song?

They did that and it didn't work.

Remember A Bigger Bang?

There is something more boring than a 33 year old outtake that's a half baked song - it's called Streets Of Love. Or Sweet Neo Con. Or Rain Fall Down. They couldn't do something as simple and flowing like this, especially since they don't have Bill Wyman to make it move. There's more interest is doing this kind of work than something new.

I disagree with you. Was "A Bigger Bang" a masterpiece? no it wasn't but it was an attempt to keep moving forward and for that they should be applauded.

People around here talk about "A Bigger Bang" like it was some type of huge embarrassment or something. The fact is that the record sold pretty well (hit #1 on the World and European Charts)for a pop record by 65 year old men in an era when albums simply do not sell.

It also did fairly well critically making several best of 2005 lists. If memory serves Rolling Stone listed it as the 2nd best cd of 2005. Sometimes we expect too much.

Well, now you're spinning it. Everyone knows the reviews from Rolling Stone are nothing to take seriously. World wide record sales? The album charted for maybe two weeks - and then fell off the planet. Is that because no one was really interested or because it's not really a good album? Or is it just how things are now? Maybe all three. They certainly could have made the album A LOT better by leaving off the three songs I mentioned to begin with yet alone maybe a couple more. There was hope with some hype prior to the album coming out showing them working on Oh No Not You Again but upon listening, well, there was more cruise control than anything inventive. Sure they get an A for effort, for 'moving forward', but...it wasn't exactly necessary. It revealed more than some fans probably wanted.

However, I was comparing this newest track to the A Bigger Bang Rolling Stones. There's a HUGE difference. Of course there is. As it is I happen to like A Bigger Bang - but not all of it. Had they had Bill Wyman - or someone like him - on it it certainly could have been better. Alas, that will never be. I also understand where they were when they did that album. Still doesn't do anything to remove the idea that they don't and aren't anything like they used to be, which, beyond the age thing and Keith's abilities, it's really starting to reveal itself as being the missing Bill Wyman factor.

They're just not as good without Bill. And I'm not convinced that their age really has anything to do with the intensity of their playing, since Keith seems to still be able to knock the shit out of JJF, even though it stinks the way they play it. They've just slipped and slacked over the years out of their 'oh we're the Stones man' attitude. Unfortunately when they go on tour it is bigger than the music - and the musicianship.

Regardless of that matter, with these new songs, the Exile ones and now these, we get The Rolling Stones. So Mick's voice is that of a 68 year old. So...OK. I'm happy with it (not liking Following The River isn't so much Mick's voice but...it's just not a good song). I've always wanted to hear these tracks and yeah there aren't some on here I wish there would be but we get these so cool.

And these tracks, at least as far as we know, are how they were when they were recorded, with the exception of some new vocals. At least from what Mick has said he's the only one that did any more work to 'em.

So, with all of that in mind, the sales of A Bigger Bang mean nothing. This half-baked boring song is still a lot better than anything on A Bigger Bang. Moving forward? That's the problem - they're just imitating forward and not very well. Four New Licks proved that - and then they made a whole album of them 'moving forward'? An album they basically ignored on the so called tour for the album? Ha.

Hey, whatever. No big deal. I just found your post to be a bit odd considering the state of the 'band' these days. And of course it's fun to talk about. I'll take finished half baked old songs over anything new.

"World wide record sales? The album charted for maybe two weeks - and then fell off the planet"

Actually, "ABB" didn't fall off the charts after two weeks. Infact it was the #1 album in the world for two weeks.

It also hit #1 on the following charts
Worldwide 1
Europe 1
Italy 1
Argentina 1
Netherlands 1
Germany 1 [11]
Swiss 1
Sweden 1
Denmark 1
Canada 1
Austria 1

It hit #2 in the U.K. missing out on #1 by something like 11 copies.
U.K 2
Spain 2
Czech Republic 2
New Zealand 2
Poland 2
Norway 2
France 3
U.S 3
Greece 3
Belgium 3

The record sold quite well nearly everywhere, but the United States and the UK where it didn't match prior sales...Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that "ABB" was some type of commercial blockbuster, it clearly wasn't, but it's not the bomb that some would suggest.

To say that "This half-baked boring song is still a lot better than anything on A Bigger Bang" is kind of silly

Sure ABB has some filler on it, but it also has some strong tracks on it as well.

Still doesn't do anything to remove the idea that they don't and aren't anything like they used to be

Would you really want 70 year old men to be the way they were 40 years ago? No offense, but some people just can't come to grips with the fact that it's not 1972 anymore.

They're just not as good without Bill
I am a fan of Bill Wyman, but he hasn't been in this band for two decades and he was still in the band for a lot of their weaker moments. Dirty Work ring a bell?

Anyway, I will agree to disagree with you. I really won't have much interest in old outakes until the band is dead and buried. I want new stuff and I am fairly confident we will get it...Sure the new music isn't as good as the old stuff, but the Stones and especially Jagger aren't very sentimental. I'd rather see the Stones offically split than become a nostalgia act (I know some would argue that started happening around the time of 40 Licks) that doesn't attempt to put new stuff out.

I firmly believe the Stones have at least one great/mature record left in them.

I agree. The best tracks on ABB (It won't take long, Rough Justice, Rain fall down, Laugh, Oh no - and Neocon and and even Streets and Infamy) makes one very curious. But I don't see it as a choice between opening the vaults or new stuff. I hope we'll have both.

ABB was a step in the right direction after the debacle of those four new "Licks" tunes and relative overproduction of B2B but it was too long and a few songs too formulaic and a bit too simplistic. But its follow-up has yet to happen.

Date: October 21, 2011 17:34

Mathijs
Oh boy...this is bad....

First, it was a crappy outtake in the first place. It was a jam, a play through, two chords and half a lyrics, nothing more, nothing less. It was quite boring and lame in the first place.

But now...why in gods name does Jagger overact so badly? Just as that Superheavy shite, why does he think he needs to sing like a parody to Mick Jagger The Great 1972 R&R Growler? Why does he need to totally overdo it?

So, with Exile we got one good song with good vocals, and half a dozen of decent songs with totally overblown voclas. Now we get a dozen of lame songs with totally over the top vocals..I mean, who is waiting here for Petrol Gang with 2011 vocals? I know I am not...

Mathijs

Petrol is probably on there as a nod to Stu since he is featured so prominently on it. I can't see that as being more than one take, I doubt it was developed further. Who knows though maybe Jagger added horns and strings to the 2011 version!

Date: October 21, 2011 17:34

WilliamPatrickMaynard
I really hope the band does not maintain the lie about NSP having the original vocal when they promote the album. What a ridiculous claim to make. Granted, my local radio station presented "Plundered My Soul" as if it was an untouched EXILE sessions track as well. Apparently people that aren't diehard fans will actually believe such claims. Not sure why the Stones and UMG think it will sell better that way.

should be grounds for criminal prosecution. that will stop these bastards and their treacherous lies.

Date: October 21, 2011 17:43

sweet neo con
Green Lady

[www.musicweek.com]

interesting...insulting the intelligence of their fans (again)..if this is true.

maybe there's something about the term "re-recorded vocals" which leaves room for
interpretation. "Re-recorded vocals" vs. "New vocals"??

What next? Mick doesn't wear high-heeled Nikes?

I think you're right. They are trying to differentiate between "re-recorded" and "new". Which is a negligible difference really but unfortunately typical of how the Stones seem to like to spin things.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 21, 2011 17:43

RobberBride

A day in the studio: Vocal overdubs on "No Spare Part"

Engineer: <Click> Rolling. Take 1.
<Instrumental intro>
Mick: "Your Daddy drank himself half to..."
Don Was: <Click> Eh - Mick? <Feedback> Why don´t you cut the over-pronunciation. <Click>
Mick: The?
Don: <Click> The OVER- PRO-NUN-CI-A-TION.
Mick: Really? Where...eh....
Don: All over the place. Everywhere. Its too much.
Mick: ...
Don: ...its overacting, like every word needs a twist. Just let them flow man. Easy does it.
Mick: Yeah, ok. So ... I can do that.
Don: ...
Mick: ... in the verse and...
Don: Yeah, just do that from now on, man. In every verse. In every song from here on. Throughout your career. This ain´t no theatreplay. <Feedback. Click.>

LMAO!!! Funniest thing I've read in a long, long time. And SO true, so true.

Drew

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 21, 2011 18:14

Honestman
sweet neo con
I was thinking about that when people were so excited that Claudine would be released.
Of course it's a good outtake on a bootleg but (IMO) it's not up to par with most of their official releases.
Had it been on an official release...not many would think twice about it (except Ms. Longet).

Yep I am one of'em. Claudine (I mean the short version) was great cos' it was the first time the STONES played a track in a kind of rockabilly way.And just for that, it was really great...I don't care of the other sides of the story (the LONGET's affair).

Hey....after a 10 month break,welcome back,Honestman. smoking smiley

No Spare Parts is a good song...and the ( new ) vocals not that bad....but I´m just hoping that some original
vocals will be included on the 2nd disc,for sure.

Imagine SG would be re-released with all new vocals....

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 21, 2011 18:34

James Kirk
Still doesn't do anything to remove the idea that they don't and aren't anything like they used to be

Would you really want 70 year old men to be the way they were 40 years ago? No offense, but some people just can't come to grips with the fact that it's not 1972 anymore.

They're just not as good without Bill
I am a fan of Bill Wyman, but he hasn't been in this band for two decades and he was still in the band for a lot of their weaker moments. Dirty Work ring a bell?

I don't have that issue, the 'they're not as good as they used to be'. I know that. That's part of the 'they should've stopped after Licks' bit. Or whenever. For some people it's before that. But after seeing Live In Texas it really sticks out even more now that overall it's not as good without him. Hearing more of their live performances with Bill really brings that out. It's really apparent. That's all. Everyone knew it would be different. It is. The bad songs, well, it doesn't matter who is playing on 'em, they're just bad. Would Streets Of Love be any better with Bill? No. It would just have better bass playing on it. And for all I know, songs like Dangerous Beauty, It Won't Take Long, She Saw Me Coming and a few others, they're fine, yes, I like them, but it's very likely that there'd be a difference if they had someone like Bill playing bass on them yet alone having him play bass on them. But he's not in the band and all that. Fine. I still like the songs. I used to think 'Oh they're fine without Bill', which they are. It's just not as good. And that's all it is.

Dirty Work. HA! With Bill it's still a pretty bad album! It's not his fault. And who really knows what he did play on.

Date: October 21, 2011 18:46

I don't have it in front of me, but Bill German's interview with Bill Wyman in the Beggars Banquet fanzine saw Bill Wyman mention what tracks he did play on. I think it was "One Hit (to the Body)," "Harlem Shuffle," "Winning Ugly," and "Dirty Work." If my memory serves Alan Rogan plays bass on "Fight," Ivan Neville on "Hold Back," Ronnie on "Too Rude," John Regan on "Back to Zero," and Keith (maybe) on "Sleep Tonight." There is no bass on "Had It With You" is the story allegedly.

Date: October 21, 2011 18:51

WilliamPatrickMaynard
There is no bass on "Had It With You" is the story allegedly.

it's more than alleged.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 21, 2011 19:43

Green Lady

[www.musicweek.com]

You guys are getting all bent out of shape. NSP did not have a RE-recorded vocal; the new MJ vocal (final take that was used) was just recorded once. MJ/Was didn't RE-record that final take. Does that properly parse the spokeswoman's words? lol.

Date: October 21, 2011 19:53

i think what confuses me is whether they er-erased the original vocal before they re-recorded a new one. or something.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 21, 2011 19:55

StonesTod
i think what confuses me is whether they er-erased the original vocal before they re-recorded a new one. or something.

They erased Bill from the Rarities cover .....everything´s possible.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 21, 2011 20:02

Rockman
HONESTMAN!!!!!! where where is that maniac rocker ???....come OUT where ever you are....and get back here with us cats...

Petit cachottier ...tu ne m'en avais rien dit ....
J'te manquais tant que ça ? smoking smiley

A prendre au second degré of course smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home