Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Some girls outake on Radio 2 tommorow
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 20, 2011 23:14

I never liked this song as an outtake but its nice to hear anyways. Fiji Jim would've been a great single...

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 20, 2011 23:16

StonesTod
sweet neo con
Gazza

I love how people suddenly get disappointed that a 33-year old outtake that theyve already heard and which most people asked to be released ISNT a new Brown Sugar.

The sense of disappointment is what I was alluding to. Ridiculous expectations for a song that didnt make the original album to begin with.

I was thinking about that when people were so excited that Claudine would be released.
Of course it's a good outtake on a bootleg but (IMO) it's not up to par with most of their official releases.
Had it been on an official release...not many would think twice about it (except Ms. Longet).

Heck....had they left SWEET NEO CON off of A BIGGER BANG and it circulated on bootlegs etc...
people would probably think that was a great song too.

A psychologist could probably explain it. winking smiley

i think you're wrong about Claudine...and in fact it was going to be on SG...but was pulled for legal reasons...so it's not really an outtake in the sense the stones didn't think it worthy of being on the album...

Are you sure? I believe it was pulled from ER not SG.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 20, 2011 23:20

sometimes there is a bit of emotion in Jaggers Voice, hahahaha
something ive missed over the passed years.
the production sound sucks however...thanks to Don was.
No, it has no feeling , i used to get whenevever a new Stones song was aired.
Those times have gone..
Sad, but its true
maybe a new Producer guys...only wishing
Still... a good etake of the old song from1978
Thanks
bye
jeroen

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: October 20, 2011 23:23

proudmary
Reaction among Stones fans to the track was largely positive, although there was some debate about whether Mick Jagger had re-recorded the vocal, as he did for some of the bonus tracks on the Exile On Main St reissue last year.

It's funny. I haven't read anything from any journalist accurately describing anything I am even at all remotely familiar with. I probably shouldn't believe anything I read in the press without researching it on my own first.

Show me some debate about whether or not it was a new vocal. Plenty of debate about whether it is a *good* new vocal, but that's a different point, but that's probably (in the writer's judgement) not a necessary part of the storyline.

Not a big gripe, but if I were a journalist, I would probably think twice about misrepresenting my sources, because in this day and age, the printed word isn't necessarily the final one.

Edit: thanks for posting that, proudmary--I don't want to imply I'm ranting about you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-20 23:32 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 20, 2011 23:25

big4
StonesTod
sweet neo con
Gazza

I love how people suddenly get disappointed that a 33-year old outtake that theyve already heard and which most people asked to be released ISNT a new Brown Sugar.

The sense of disappointment is what I was alluding to. Ridiculous expectations for a song that didnt make the original album to begin with.

I was thinking about that when people were so excited that Claudine would be released.
Of course it's a good outtake on a bootleg but (IMO) it's not up to par with most of their official releases.
Had it been on an official release...not many would think twice about it (except Ms. Longet).

Heck....had they left SWEET NEO CON off of A BIGGER BANG and it circulated on bootlegs etc...
people would probably think that was a great song too.

A psychologist could probably explain it. winking smiley

i think you're wrong about Claudine...and in fact it was going to be on SG...but was pulled for legal reasons...so it's not really an outtake in the sense the stones didn't think it worthy of being on the album...

Are you sure? I believe it was pulled from ER not SG.

You are correct. It was recorded during the Some Girls sessions but (unlike any of the other songs for ER which were recorded in '79) was shortlisted for release on Emotional Rescue. I remember reading a story in the Melody Maker around May 1980 of another delay in the release date as this litigious song had to be removed. I've no idea what song they replaced it with, though.

Date: October 20, 2011 23:32

Just listened to it. I still like the original vocal better but it's a nice little song. I'm happy with it. Looking forward to the rest. Rather have this song than Rain Fall Down any day of the week.

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: October 20, 2011 23:35

The new remake sounds like any other jagger solo ballad. I much prefer the outtake's tribute to Waylon Jennings and Hank Williams Jr.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 20, 2011 23:50

right, ER, not SG - but my general point is the same. claudine was deemed "good enough" by the band...so i don't think it's just perception that most of us like it cos it's an outtake...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2011 00:01

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
mtaylor
Bigger Bang ... Cutting out some 5 songs and you would have had a well received and memorable record.

I agree, but I think we're in the minority.

I also agree with this.

If we keep this up, we may find ourselves in a majority situation, and be able to swing the balance of power, FINALLY allowing ourselves to chart a new agenda!
I also agree...thumbs up

Date: October 21, 2011 00:02

StonesTod
right, ER, not SG - but my general point is the same. claudine was deemed "good enough" by the band...so i don't think it's just perception that most of us like it cos it's an outtake...

Since when is just 'good enough', good enough?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 21, 2011 00:03

I like the new vocals.

What I miss is the great electronic piano (?) in the outtake version. That sound gave the song a beautiful feeling.

New Vocals. New acoustic guitar (Mick part) New electric guitar (new Ronnie part)
New piano part.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 21, 2011 00:06

StonesTod

fair enough..but they also deemed SWEET NEO CON "good enough".

maybe...like the song SNC & Highwire...they simply wanted to put it out because it was topical (news of the day)
and not because they thought it was some of their finest work.

btw - i like Highwire winking smiley

(sorry ..maybe we should start another Claudine thread. it was not my intent to interrupt the NO SPARE PARTS thread)

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-21 00:13 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 21, 2011 00:07

Anything you can do - we can do better! That was always the Stones' recipee, even regarding American accents.
But there must have been more than a sexual hint calling the album "More FAST Numbers" at frst?!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 00:11

Not bad. He changed the geography, and I loved the original version where he mentions his Volvo etc.....but those lyrics were a bit random - these have more focus, maybe more generic. Nice, although it doesn't have the same impact as PMS did.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 21, 2011 00:16

sweet neo con

Yep I am one of'em. Claudine (I mean the short version) was great cos' it was the first time the STONES played a track in a kind of rockabilly way.And just for that, it was really great...I don't care of the other sides of the story (the LONGET's affair).

HMN

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: October 21, 2011 00:20

I am against adding anything to old tracks -- I'll probably never play the second Exile disc again -- just release 'em as they are in the can. Or release alternate takes of the album tracks instead.

But this is quite nice. Thanks for uploading it!

Date: October 21, 2011 00:22

Since I'm expecting a new set of lyrics and (obviously) a new lead vocal for "Claudine" changing the subject matter entirely, I'll be happy if it's just a great rockabilly track with maybe minor guitar touch-up's if any were needed. I'm trying to remind myself that (apart from "Pass the Wine") "Plundered My Soul" was not indicative of the quality of the other reworked EXILE outtakes, but I consider "No Spare Parts" very encouraging. I'm liking it more upon repeated listenings which is always a good sign. I'll be eager to hear the rest of the tracks.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: October 21, 2011 00:26

StonesTod

According to Bill Wyman himself about Claudine:

"It's a great song, one of my favorites. It's a pity it wasn't on the album, really good. But I'm sure it will come out someday".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-21 00:45 by Hillside Blues.

Date: October 21, 2011 00:36

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Since I'm expecting a new set of lyrics and (obviously) a new lead vocal for "Claudine" changing the subject matter entirely, I'll be happy if it's just a great rockabilly track with maybe minor guitar touch-up's if any were needed. I'm trying to remind myself that (apart from "Pass the Wine") "Plundered My Soul" was not indicative of the quality of the other reworked EXILE outtakes, but I consider "No Spare Parts" very encouraging. I'm liking it more upon repeated listenings which is always a good sign. I'll be eager to hear the rest of the tracks.

It seems as though they had more to work with this time around...also, twice as many tracks as with Exile.

I think it isn't going out on a limb to think we'll get something even better with this release. (although it will be hard to touch PMS).

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 01:04

treaclefingers
I like both versions...Mick's delivery on the original is more 'lazy and authentic', which sounds great.

That said, don't mind the new vocal at all.

As a choice for a single, maybe not a bad idea...perhaps one of the only ways they may make a breakthru on the charts nowadays, via country audience, which still sell big.

Only question is whether this will sell with country fans.

I'm pretty much in the same place as this. I prefer the original vocal, but the new one is more melodic and if we didn't have the rough mix I'd be pretty thrilled with this as a song I didn't have before. Band sounds excellent.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 01:14

barbabang
I like the new vocals.

What I miss is the great electronic piano (?) in the outtake version. That sound gave the song a beautiful feeling.

New Vocals. New acoustic guitar (Mick part) New electric guitar (new Ronnie part)
New piano part.

I miss the electric piano of the outtake too and I do agree there is a somewhat Jagger solo ballad feel to it but not enough to sink the song. I like it and look forward to the full release.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 21, 2011 01:23

barbabang
I like the new vocals.

New piano part.

There's electric piano all over this version!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 21, 2011 01:46

Gazza you're correct. It probably is the original part too. But it is a pity that it is far less prominent in the new mix.
We are lucky to have both versions now to enjoy.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: October 21, 2011 02:13

It's a much better country song (Stones country anyway) for Some Girls than Far Away Eyes, possibly left off because its tempo is awful close to the song Some Girls. Almost a country version of it.

Date: October 21, 2011 02:28

First review I've seen on No Spare Parts:

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 21, 2011 02:44

"the missing Bill Wyman factor". That makes me laugh, and also feel kinda sad for you, so I stop laughing. Still...must be tough looking for things to be missing in Stones tracks since '91. And, you can spin it any way you want, but that's what you are doing. You've decided Bill is sorely missed to your concept of the Rolling Stones, so you hear his absence in everything. I think you're nuts, but best of luck to you.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: October 21, 2011 02:45

Hate to say it but I like the original version better! Mick did a decent enough job trying to keep it somewhat close but the 70s version has more of that slur and laziness to it that I love. Even though Mick at least tried to match the overdub somewhat it still comes across as somewhat thin and nasal, trying to sound too perfect, maybe he should indulge in a joint first before the next overdub session of material from that period. Then of course it's also not fair to try and compare the voice of 68-year old Mick to a 35-year old Mick!!! All in all I'll take it, anything new Stones at this point is better than nothing.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-21 02:49 by Thru and Thru.

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: October 21, 2011 02:50

treaclefingers
First review I've seen on No Spare Parts:

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Nice! Did you notice, full version stream on the same page!?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-21 03:09 by Carster.

Posted by: agorachief ()
Date: October 21, 2011 02:50

bueno!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 21, 2011 02:52

It used to be the only Rolling Stones Thanksgiving song but no more. Give me the charm of the original.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home