Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Are the Rolling Stones Allowed to Grow Up
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 21, 2011 16:33

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Jeff Tweedy of Wilco is moving gracefully into middle age — his band is often dubbed “dad rock,” a term he finds dignified — but when confronted with the proposition of continuing to rock into his golden years, he see two distinct paths his band could take: the Bruce Springsteen route or the Rolling Stones route.

“It’s probably be a lot easier for us than those guys, you know, there’s more somber balladry in the Wilco catalog,” Tweedy replies. “Springsteen could probably get away with just sitting on a stool playing some ‘Nebraska’ tunes. The Stones haven’t really been allowed to grow old. Their fans demand that they continue to live up to that spectacle all the time."

So my question is "Are the Rolling Stones Allowed to Grow Up - or do we want them to stay - in the words of Bob Dylan - "forever young"
When they cant perform fast rock n roll songs - do we want them to quit ?

Re: Are the Rolling Stones Allowed to Grow Up
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 21, 2011 16:34

then they can begin to play the blues seriously...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2011 16:45

As Pete Townshend said, "don't grow old gracefully, it wouldn't suit you".

Apologies for the paraphrase, it went something like that.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 21, 2011 16:51

treaclefingers

yeah, but he wrote that he hoped he died before he got old. had he had the decency to follow through, he wouldn't have ever said what he said....or something.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 21, 2011 17:08

Only if Jagger acts his age, and does not act like he is till 30,40 years old.
and....if he does not put the nasal Voice in, and wants to sing too perfectly.
Only if Keef starts playing music again.
They should play some small gigs again.
So.. i´ll keep dreaming cause it wont ever happen
jeroen

Date: October 21, 2011 17:21

corriecas
jeroen

the stones have often been fabulous in my dreams. they did a killer b-stage set a couple of years ago that still floors me; wish i could find a decent boot recording of it.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 21, 2011 17:40

Mick Jagger has tried, but Keith won't let him.

Date: October 21, 2011 19:17

StonesTod
treaclefingers

yeah, but he wrote that he hoped he died before he got old. had he had the decency to follow through, he wouldn't have ever said what he said....or something.

But you are leaving out the fact that he made Roger sing it. He himself, had no intention of dying before he got old...

Date: October 21, 2011 19:20

corriecas
jeroen

Stop already with Jagger 'acting his age' already...you post about in every second post. WE GOT IT!

You don't like Jagger acting young and vital...I'm sure most of us would prefer Jagger acting as a 'slack-eyed' drooling old man...that ain't gonna happen for awhile, so GET OVER IT ALREADY!

Date: October 21, 2011 20:21

They're a little old to grow up now. They're nearly ready for Depends.

Date: October 21, 2011 20:32

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers

But you are leaving out the fact that he made Roger sing it. He himself, had no intention of dying before he got old...

i had no idea pete felt such animosity toward his bandmate...it's one thing to make funny of a bandmate's genitals...it's quite another to wish him an early death. i used to have respect for pete, for pete's sake, too....

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 21, 2011 21:14

seitan
do we want them to quit ?

Of course not

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 21, 2011 22:16

No. There are fans who obviously relive their youth through the Stones warhorses. And what is this never ending shite about Mick singing 'nasally'? I have absolutely no problem with the way Mick sounds now. He's not going to stop singing the way he sings. He's not going to sound like he did in Rock and Roll Circus. I celebrate the maturity in his voice, best exemplified by him finally sounding authoritative when doing Otis Redding material.

They don't have to play Get Off My Cloud anymore. They could concentrate on the blues but probably fear they're too big to get away with it audience wise. I marvel at the Stones longevity and see them as a tie to the past as much as anyone. Who knows? Maybe Charlie will turn to them one day and say, "I'm not playing Honky Tonk Women no more. I can't hack all these fast numbers."

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 21, 2011 23:04

24FPS
Who knows? Maybe Charlie will turn to them one day and say, "I'm not playing Honky Tonk Women no more. I can't hack all these fast numbers."

Then they'll get a new drummer.

Date: October 23, 2011 03:45

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers

i had no idea pete felt such animosity toward his bandmate...it's one thing to make funny of a bandmate's genitals...it's quite another to wish him an early death. i used to have respect for pete, for pete's sake, too....

yes, quite sad really

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2011 04:18

seitan
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Jeff Tweedy of Wilco is moving gracefully into middle age — his band is often dubbed “dad rock,” a term he finds dignified — but when confronted with the proposition of continuing to rock into his golden years, he see two distinct paths his band could take: the Bruce Springsteen route or the Rolling Stones route.

“It’s probably be a lot easier for us than those guys, you know, there’s more somber balladry in the Wilco catalog,” Tweedy replies. “Springsteen could probably get away with just sitting on a stool playing some ‘Nebraska’ tunes. The Stones haven’t really been allowed to grow old. Their fans demand that they continue to live up to that spectacle all the time."

I'm sure there are people who saw Springsteen when he became hugely popular in the 80s who have the same mentality. In fact, I've been to Springsteen solo shows and Seeger sessions shows - which were all pretty much 'warhorse free zones' and had to listen to crap from 'tourist' fans afterwards who, despite being fully aware of the musical concept of the show when they bought their ticket, felt disappointed that he hadnt played 'Dancing in the Dark'. eye rolling smiley

The notion that the Stones havent been allowed to grow old' isnt completely accurate. Up to '99 or so, even while a stadium band, they still pretty much played what they wanted for the most part. A few warhorses, sure, but this was still a band who regularly played 5-6 new songs per show and werent afraid to play ballads or deep album cuts in stadiums for fear of half the audience running to the toilet. I have never heard of anyone who went to those shows and who then stopped going because the musical content was too safe and predictable. They omitted 'Satisfaction' for much of the 70s and during the '99 tour. People didnt stay away as a result.

The band's attitude pretty much changed from 2002 or around the time they started charging silly money for a ticket. From then on, they allowed the sort of fan that kind of show attracts to dictate the sort of show that they put on - namely a show that is increasingly a nostalgia-driven run through the warhorses.

With a catalogue of songs that is that expansive, there's no reason on earth why they cant play what they want at this stage in their careers. Theyve earned that right. And if the performance is good enough, who knows, the people who buy the tickets might actually like these songs that some of them appear to be unfamiliar with.

The only people who have stopped the band from 'growing up' are the Stones themselves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-23 04:20 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 23, 2011 04:41

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

............................................. 100 Years Ago Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 23, 2011 04:46

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 23, 2011 04:50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home