Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Mick Jagger says the Rolling Stones won't tour next year in celebration of the band's 50th anniversary
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:46

Oh, and BTW
Mick Jagger did not say the Rolling Stones won't tour next year in celebration of the band's 50th anniversary

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: Mick Jagger says the Rolling Stones won't tour next year in celebration of the band's 50th anniversary
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:10

Justin
Well that's great that Keith can play an acoustic guitar. But what good does that do the Stones? He plays electric on all but one or two songs in the set. They won't do an all stripped down acoustic tour. They're not going to write an unplugged country or blues album. So what's the point?

Keith's issues are twofold: 1) unable to stick to rhythm playing 2) he can't be bothered to actually learn all the non-warhorse songs. This is why he constantly noodles on stage. Both these issues most likely effected by this physical limitations. What has Keith done to help the situation to help the band and not hurt it??...nothing.

Fans fantasize about the scenario that Mick and Keith need to be locked in a room to write great songs....I'll say it again: we already got that: it's called A Bigger Bang. That's the best they could come up with, folks. Locking them in a kitchen, pantry or closet isn't going to make the songwriting any better. They're running on fumes and they know it doesn't take much to splice together a song. plop it on an album...and shove it out to the fans who will proceed to eat it up. At this point, fans don't even care what they write..they just want to HEAR them do something new. That really gives them the license to just not care.

You don't really know it's just all guesswork with you, how do you know that Keith is not writing songs and playing his guitar every day at home? know one knows so why keep on knocking Keith, I just don't get some of you guys.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:13

So many threads, so many opinions, based on so little information...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:16

Some seem to ignore that Keith's brain surgery was a very serious matter, as were
the medications, as is arthritis, and the toll of all his hard living years, and his wifes cancer ordeal....yeah just jump all over him cause he isn't doing what you
want him to...... love the guy.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:27

MKjan
Some seem to ignore that Keith's brain surgery was a very serious matter, as were
the medications, as is arthritis, and the toll of all his hard living years, and his wifes cancer ordeal....yeah just jump all over him cause he isn't doing what you

Well said that man!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:46

pgarof
MKjan

Well said that man!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:04

pgarof
Justin
Well that's great that Keith can play an acoustic guitar. But what good does that do the Stones? He plays electric on all but one or two songs in the set. They won't do an all stripped down acoustic tour. They're not going to write an unplugged country or blues album. So what's the point?

Keith's issues are twofold: 1) unable to stick to rhythm playing 2) he can't be bothered to actually learn all the non-warhorse songs. This is why he constantly noodles on stage. Both these issues most likely effected by this physical limitations. What has Keith done to help the situation to help the band and not hurt it??...nothing.

Fans fantasize about the scenario that Mick and Keith need to be locked in a room to write great songs....I'll say it again: we already got that: it's called A Bigger Bang. That's the best they could come up with, folks. Locking them in a kitchen, pantry or closet isn't going to make the songwriting any better. They're running on fumes and they know it doesn't take much to splice together a song. plop it on an album...and shove it out to the fans who will proceed to eat it up. At this point, fans don't even care what they write..they just want to HEAR them do something new. That really gives them the license to just not care.

You don't really know it's just all guesswork with you, how do you know that Keith is not writing songs and playing his guitar every day at home? know one knows so why keep on knocking Keith, I just don't get some of you guys.

Keith admitting last year that he has been rusty on the guitar and that he purposely doesn't touch the guitar for long periods of time in between tours is a good place to start on forming an educated guess on where he stands today.

No one's knocking him. This is the reality of today's situation. It's the super-fans that still think they're going to lay on us another "Gimme Shelter" or "Start Me Up" today in 2011 that I'm knocking.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:19

Naturalust
Gazza
Naturalust
Gazza

There is absolutely no schedule conflict between SuperHeavy and what the Rolling Stones will or won't do.

You keep saying this Gazza. I have no idea what you are talking about. I want my stones NOW and yes they could be writing and recording a new record RIGHT NOW. How could you possibly say that SH is not a big distraction (at the least) possibly a road block (at the most) to getting our stones back together. I don't mind Mick trying to get his creative thing on whatever way he can, and I totally support collaboration and change but your contention here is baseless in my humble opinion. peace.

Are you serious?

SuperHeavy is all but done. The album is out, the interviews are nearly finished and there will be no concerts. There's hardly anything else to promote.

Its September 2011. Not June 2012. Jagger was releasing solo albums in November 2001 and November 2004. LATER than he has done this time. The Stones still managed to go on the road the following summer each time and also have new material released.

Who's to say they havent been writing? They dont write together anyway. They dont even need to record together. Most of the last record wasnt even made with the four of them in the same room at the same time. Mick has even said that he's been doing some songs with Charlie.

The biggest 'roadblock' to 'your' Stones working together is the fact that Jagger's principal co-writer has pretty much dried up creatively since 1997.

Well, since I generally trust your insights and comments I am happy to hear your reply at least the part about SH being all but done (and on the eve of the CD release no less). I am just as seriously bummed out that you think Keith is not a force of creation anymore. To that I will counter that he probably does the same great new riffs with a few croaks and squeals as he's always done, but Mick Jagger has lost the ability (or motivation) to interpret the song out of the spark and take it and run. This was the process for most ALL the good Stones tunes (per Keith) were written. Its not fair to Keith to hold him out there with these song sparks, alone and naked without Jagger to grab the ball and run toward the goal line. I get the feeling it was a communion of those two spirits which made the magic. I don't see Mick willing to even try this approach anymore. I'm quite sure Keith would do his part. Maybe what they need is a common foe to get them into the same kitchen again and do what they do best...together. peace.

Please understand, its not a criticism of the guy. Nor am I even mentioning his ability to play. For all the flak Mick gets, he's at least remained creative. Inspiration-wise, he's carried the band for the last decade. Since BTB, the number of released songs, Stones or otherwise, where Keith has been the principal writer could be counted on one hand. Onstage, he's also pretty much abdicated responsibility to Chuck as a bandleader, and to Chuck and Mick for song selections. The running of a tour appears to be another thing he takes next to no involvement in and for all the talk about being disinterested in money and wanting to scale things down for the pure pleasure of PLAYING, every tour ends up as the same expensively priced shows on as massive a scale as they can manage. For better or worse, the Rolling Stones in the 21st century are Mick Jagger's band. Some may criticise him for many things that this 'dominance' represents and with some justification - another way of looking at it is that it's Mick who has kept the band going. In fact, I'd argue that the compromise Keith accepted in 1989 when he and Mick patched up their differences and brought the Stones back from the brink was that the balance of power in the band shifted to Mick irreversibly. It was either his way or the highway - and in the last decade, with Keith's musical contribution diminishing, thats become even more apparent then ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-21 23:20 by Gazza.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:42

Gazza
I'd argue that the compromise Keith accepted in 1989 when he and Mick patched up their differences and brought the Stones back from the brink was that the balance of power in the band shifted to Mick irreversibly. It was either his way or the highway

Hey brother Gazza, we are about as far away in opinion here as the distance in the BIG pond that separates us physically. (California- Irish Republic) If this was the case, where is the affirmation of such from Keith? He is outspoken, speaks his mind, pulls few punches and from what I've heard him say, its just the opposite. Mick forgot who the Rolling Stone's were. Ask Bill it's Keiths band, a two-guitar affair , with a blues singer up front. Your contention about the balance of power having to be one or the other is probabaly astute though. Just like with our wives, the honeymoon always melds into a power stuggle and the outcome of that determines if the pairing will continue, no matter how many vows were spoken in the beginning. Contempt is the beginning of a rot that destroys the very foundations of relationships, God know's there's been enough of that between Mick and Keith. peace.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:50

71Tele

+1

Date: September 21, 2011 23:59

Naturalust
Hey brother Gazza, we are about as far away in opinion here as the distance in the BIG pond that separates us physically. (California- Irish Republic)

eye popping smiley grinning smiley

Naturalust

If this was the case, where is the affirmation of such from Keith? He is outspoken, speaks his mind, pulls few punches and from what I've heard him say, its just the opposite.

well, he would...lol

Naturalust

Mick forgot who the Rolling Stone's were. Ask Bill it's Keiths band, a two-guitar affair , with a blues singer up front.

It probably was in Bill's time - but I dont think the Stones have been the same band since the late 80s. Keith also sometimes commented that Stu was the 'glue who kept us together'. You could almost date the change to the time HE died. I can take the 'Mick forgot who the Stones were' point - but then I'd argue that they havent really been a 'proper' band for a long time. They're an occasional corporation who get together every few years, make a shitload of money for a year or two and then effectively cease to operate until the next opportunity. This is a band who, after all, havent played a single public concert outside of the confines of a mega-scale tour since the late 70s.

Naturalust

Your contention about the balance of power having to be one or the other is probabaly astute though. Just like with our wives, the honeymoon always melds into a power stuggle and the outcome of that determines if the pairing will continue, no matter how many vows were spoken in the beginning. Contempt is the beginning of a rot that destroys the very foundations of relationships, God know's there's been enough of that between Mick and Keith. peace.

I dont think its on a level that would break the band up. Not at this stage. Theyve got past all that 25 years ago. They're stuck with each other!

Date: September 22, 2011 00:01

MKjan

I dont see that anyone is. And he doesnt owe us anything else. However, its quite evident that his role in the band was diminishing long before 2006. The facts are quite evident, I would say.

The man has been effectively semi-retired for some years. And good luck to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-22 00:46 by Gazza.

Date: September 22, 2011 00:16

Mick is probably laughing his head off as we speak smiling smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 22, 2011 00:28

71Tele
What we do.moody smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: September 22, 2011 00:40

pgarof

The fact that he hasnt released more than about 5 of these songs that he's written in the last 14 years AND the fact that his own wife has admitted that he moved his basement studio out of his home about 3-4 years ago when she took ill plus Keith's own admission (as Justin says above) that he doesnt touch his guitar for months on end would suggest that the assertions by some that he's been somewhat inactive is more than just 'guesswork'....

Date: September 22, 2011 01:36

DandelionPowderman
Mick is probably laughing his head off as we speak smiling smiley

lmao . I know I am as I type, it's good for the soul. Especially in the absence of music. peace.

Date: September 22, 2011 01:42

pgarof
it's just all guesswork

Very well said. I agree completely. Thank you very much.
Now, would you please change the title of your thread ?
Simply because it is wrong.
Mick Jagger did not say the Rolling Stones won't tour next year in celebration of the band's 50th anniversary

-------------------

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 22, 2011 01:56

Rolling Hansie

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 22, 2011 02:13

Bears repeating.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2011 03:32

sweetcharmedlife

Bears repeating.

Sorry, I think this actually Bears repeating...

bearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbearsbears

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 22, 2011 03:45

The Bears wanted repeating

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-22 03:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: September 22, 2011 04:25

Naturalust

if you could hear Keith for 15 minutes with just his acoustic guitar, in 2011 you would not be of the opinion that he brings nothing to the table. I have heard him in just such an intimate setting and he is still just friggin amazing. Knarled fingers and all. And I am a guitar player for many years. I assure you, He still has IT. That's why I pray that MJ is healed from his affleunza and LVS and comes back to the kitchen with the motivation to "do what it takes". I'm all for locking them in a room for days until they work out their differences and start the intimate songwriting again. I know Keith loves Mick dearly, I'm not sure about how Mick feels. peace.

Keith has a funny way of showing his love, tho I don't doubt that he loves Mick deep down inside, and that's why he hates him at times on the surface. But Keith did admit somewhere that he realized thru writing his autobiography what a bastard he can be. At least that was a step towards the truth. And I'm sure Mick can hold his own with Keith, otherwise there wouldn't have been concerts after 1969.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 22, 2011 04:51

sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
What we do.moody smiley

True.

Date: September 22, 2011 07:48

jamesjagger
Believe me guys there will be a new album AND a tour and we will hear 4 new songs 3,5 written by mick, 0.5 written by Keith) and 12 blus cover songs.

Bring it on, optimism will get you everywhere ! And Justin I hope one of the new tunes is another Gimmee Shelter just to prove that magic doesn't ever really run out of fuel. peace.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 22, 2011 08:54

MKjan

Keith I really do love you and all the best to you and your family.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: September 22, 2011 09:37

Here it is in a nutshell:

Jagger's Public Stance on Touring in 2012:

1. September 2011: No chance in hell...Okay...(first call on bids.)

Promoter 1 "I'm In for 100 Million"

2. October 2011: "I'm busy right now promoting Super Heavy...I haven't even given a Stones tour some thought..."

Promoter 2 "I'm in for 200 Million..."

3. November 2011: "People like nastalgia and things...I'm not into reliving the past...though it seems there is this swell of emotions worldwide for a Stones Tour in 2012...I just don't see a reason for it...especially if we are not an active band anymore..."

Promoter 3 "I'm in for 300 Million..."

4. December 2011..."My plans for 2012 are quite up in the air...there are fractions within the Rolling Stones that want to tour...others are not so keen..."

Promoter 4 "I'm in for 400 Million..."

5. January 2012..."I've spent some time with Keith down in the Carribean over the holidays...and we've kind of settled our differences...that of course is just between me and Keith and shouldn't be interpreted to mean we are ready, willing, and able to go on some sort of 50th Anniversary Tour or some rubish like that..."

Promoter 5 "I'm in for 500 Million...and you get 90% of net proceeds over that!"

February 2012..."The Rolling Stones have announced they will be embarking on a World Tour late this summer to Celebrate their 50th Anniversary...Jagger says that over the holidays...him and Keith even started jammming a little bit and there was some sparks if ideas that have great potential and a new album may be in the works..."

Promoter 6 "I'm in for 750 Million Guaranteed!!!!...(and Universal throws in another 50 Million for the new record and catalog sales...)

March 2012...at the top of the Empire State Building in NYC...the Rolling Stones announce their 120 date 2012-2013 tour that will bring them to 5 continents over the next 18 months...

Yeah Yeah Yeah...this book has already been written...we'll just have to read it officially monthly as it comes out chapter by chapter...

PECMAN

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: September 22, 2011 10:10

I would like to revert again to GAZZA's statements and I fully agree to his comments. Even in Keith's book Life he admitted that Mick and the other band members pulled him out of the shit in the late seventies. By then Mick the student for economics already took over the lead of the vessel together with Charlie when it comes to Tour negotiations. Keith disappointment not to be involved anymore as the machine worked well is also pretty obvious when he discribes with greed his animosity to Mick.
However Mick had to realize that his solo carrier didn't start up like he and his managers wanted. So that was the only game were they may have started somehow a role/play in the late eightees and Keith realize that he had to go for the band like Mick and Keith wanted or that the game would be over.
Money was to much of an attraction even for Keith.
And I do not blame them at all as we are stupid enough to accept ridiculous ticket prices just to see them on stage.

I assume that during the meeting in London they realized that they are not in any league to go on like they did in the recent years. I also assume that is why no statement was made after the meeting. They just tried to position themselves in today media and market and may have realized that the big market has faded. Not only for the Stones, but for a lot of musicians. And they may have realized that they shouldn't repeat themselves after Bigger Bang.

Date: September 22, 2011 10:20

shortfatfanny
FINGERS

-------------------

Date: September 22, 2011 10:30

Pecman
this book has already been written

LOL Pecman, but a great book it is

-------------------

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 22, 2011 10:31

Naturalust
Contempt is the beginning of a rot that destroys the very foundations of relationships, God know's there's been enough of that between Mick and Keith. peace.

Relationship?
These two men stay as far away from each other as possible for the entire duration of each tour. For over 20 years. I see no relationship. A muti-million dollar business partner and castmate, yes. I see Keith as the Vice President of Stones Inc.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home