Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Mick Jagger says the Rolling Stones won't tour next year in celebration of the band's 50th anniversary
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 20, 2011 20:50

Golden baby, golden

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 20:51 by Max'sKansasCity.

Re: Mick Jagger says the Rolling Stones won't tour next year in celebration of the band's 50th anniversary
Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:26

Maybe Mick will fire up the Stones again after watching this crappy CD tank.

I love these guys but I am OK with it if they are done. I only ask that they release the rarities.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:31

Here's a crumb of positive information about a tour.

It's from the Sun - not always 100% accurate in its reporting. But supposedly Georgia Jagger has said she'd like to go on tour with the Stones WHEN -not if- it happens. OK, it's "hopefully when" so interpret it how you will.

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:41

In an interview aired on Absolute Radio this evening Mick said of the Stones "There are no plans to tour". That's a quote.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 20, 2011 22:07

Slim Harpo
In an interview aired on Absolute Radio this evening Mick said of the Stones "There are no plans to tour". That's a quote.

The question is, though, if a handful of shows in a few selected cities is actually a "tour".

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 20, 2011 22:08

Slim Harpo
Of course not. He's promoting Super Heavy. At an appropriate time next year. Their will be tour news.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: September 20, 2011 23:15

Believe me guys there will be a new album AND a tour and we will hear 4 new songs 3,5 written by mick, 0.5 written by Keith) and 12 blus cover songs.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 20, 2011 23:20

From your lips to G-d's ears.

"Re: Mick Jagger says the Rolling Stones won't tour next year in celebration of the band's 50th anniversary new
Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: September 20, 2011 23:15

Believe me guys there will be a new album AND a tour and we will hear 4 new songs 3,5 written by mick, 0.5 written by Keith) and 12 blus cover songs."

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 20, 2011 23:53

Can we expect a tour, or gigs, at least? “Well, we’re talking about it, but I don’t know if it’s going to happen,” Jagger says. “Listen, you could do anything you want if you put your mind to it. I don’t know what’s going to happen next year. We’ll see.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: September 21, 2011 02:05

July 12, 2012 falls on a Thursday, it would seem likely they would play at least one gig in the UK that day, would be nice if they played the first song they played in the Marquee Club 50 years ago, if any of them can remember what song it was.

From timeisonourside.com Judging by their work ethic between SW and ABB it doesn't seem a new album of new material can be completed by July 2012.

Steel Wheels Timeline (for those expecting a new album PLUS a 2012 Tour)

Mid-January 1989: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards meet up in Barbados to discuss working together and start writing songs.

August 29, 1989: The Rolling Stones' 21th U.S. and 19th UK studio album, Steel Wheels, is released.

August 31-September 1, 1989: The Rolling Stones kick off their first tour in seven years, the 1989 Steel Wheels North American Tour, a (near) stadium-only tour, with two concerts at Philadelphia's Veterans Stadium. Accompanying the Stones onstage are a horn section, including Bobby Keys; Chuck Leavell and Matt Clifford on keyboards; and, for the first time on a Stones tour, backing vocalists, including Bernard Fowler and Lisa Fischer, who start their journey with the band. The tour features songs rarely or never performed before, such as 2000 Light Years from Home, and deliberately tighter arrangements and playing than on previous Rolling Stones tours.

A Bigger Bang Timeline

Mid-June 2004: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards start writing songs and recording demos for the Rolling Stones' next album at Mick Jagger's home studio, La Fourchette, in Pocé sur Cisse, France.

November-early December 2004: The Rolling Stones hold recording sessions for their next album, A Bigger Bang, their first full album since 1997's Bridges to Babylon, at La Fourchette in Pocé sur Cisse, France.

May 10, 2005: The Rolling Stones perform three songs at the Julliard School of Music in New York City, then hold a press conference, as a way of announcing their 2005-06 world tour.

August 21-23, 2005: Less than two years after their last tour, the Rolling Stones kick off the 2005-06 A Bigger Bang World Tour with two concerts at Boston's Fenway Park.

September 6, 2005: The Rolling Stones' 24th U.S. and 22nd UK studio album - and first in eight years -, A Bigger Bang, is released.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 21, 2011 02:29

They can make an album quickly if they want to. You're only talking about sessions lasting a few weeks. It depends how far advanced the songs are when they get started and whether or not they choose to be distracted by other things. Theres so many 'ifs'.

I genuinely dont think the will is there to make another record of new songs. Mick even alluded to that in one of the interviews done a few days ago, talking about the age of 'physical' full length cds being on the way out.

With the Some Girls deluxe coming soon and a new compilation on the cards from UMG in 2012 (presumably one which will be at least a 2-CD set), I cant see how there would be room in the market for a new Rolling Stones CD, although I would expect them to put out some new songs, as they did in 2002.

Date: September 21, 2011 02:49

Gazza
They can make an album quickly if they want to. You're only talking about sessions lasting a few weeks. It depends how far advanced the songs are when they get started and whether or not they choose to be distracted by other things. Theres so many 'ifs'.

I genuinely dont think the will is there to make another record of new songs. Mick even alluded to that in one of the interviews done a few days ago, talking about the age of 'physical' full length cds being on the way out.

With the Some Girls deluxe coming soon and a new compilation on the cards from UMG in 2012 (presumably one which will be at least a 2-CD set), I cant see how there would be room in the market for a new Rolling Stones CD, although I would expect them to put out some new songs, as they did in 2002.

Yes, perhaps 4 new songs al la 40 Licks, if they want to do it.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 21, 2011 03:09

just remember what happened during the dirty work period we all thought it was over but we couldnt have been more wrong

Date: September 21, 2011 03:35

melillo
just remember what happened during the dirty work period we all thought it was over but we couldnt have been more wrong

And Jagger was a youthful 47 yrs old, and Keith could still play guitar on both his songs during his set for the SW Tour.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: September 21, 2011 03:46

Of course Jagger isn't going to give any inside info away, it is not the right time and place. Just be patient and wait.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: September 21, 2011 04:16

Phil Good
Today the Sun writes - o.k. I know it's the Sun - that Georgia Jagger is keeping a clear diary for next summer in the hope to go on the road with the band.

[www.thesun.co.uk]

...and Georgia would certainly need someone motherly or babysitter-ly like me to watch over her on the travels, wouldn't she??? a tour nanny........i'm seeing it now.....

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: September 21, 2011 04:19

mtaylor
[www.rollingstone.com]

This answer Jagger doesn't have to think about. "Don't hold your breath," he says softly. (The ice may be breaking – in early September the band was photographed leaving a meeting in London.)

Instead, he says, moving his chair out of the path of the sunlight streaming into the window of his hotel suite in Los Angeles, he's found himself "writing loads of these 12-bar blues songs, so I'm looking forward to doing something more in that vein."

There is still hope: writing blues songs - definately not for SH.

I like the blues......

At least there are positive messages on this negative thread.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 21, 2011 04:54

Sigh... I love the pics from the 1970 and 1971 tours. Just the band up on an auditorium stage. The audience packed up in the front with the musicians just a few feet away. That was real rock'n'roll and it was so sweet, so real.

It's so sad that shows can't be done like that any more. That was the real thing and the real Rolling Stones.

I am ambivalent about 70-year-olds playing Jumping Jack Flash.

I wish that the clock could be turned back sometimes.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 21, 2011 19:22

Will the Rolling Stones Tour the World to Celebrate Their 50th? Well it says it here in the cards so it must be right. Well that's that then we don't have to worry about it anymore.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 21, 2011 19:27

riverrat
Phil Good
Today the Sun writes - o.k. I know it's the Sun - that Georgia Jagger is keeping a clear diary for next summer in the hope to go on the road with the band.

[www.thesun.co.uk]

...and Georgia would certainly need someone motherly or babysitter-ly like me to watch over her on the travels, wouldn't she??? a tour nanny........i'm seeing it now.....
But she'll have L'Wren or Ana for that.winking smiley

Date: September 21, 2011 19:29

LOL...in fairness the Tarot cards are probably more reliable than some of the crap thats been printed in the last two weeks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-21 20:29 by Gazza.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 21, 2011 19:32

Gazza

There is absolutely no schedule conflict between SuperHeavy and what the Rolling Stones will or won't do.

You keep saying this Gazza. I have no idea what you are talking about. I want my stones NOW and yes they could be writing and recording a new record RIGHT NOW. How could you possibly say that SH is not a big distraction (at the least) possibly a road block (at the most) to getting our stones back together. I don't mind Mick trying to get his creative thing on whatever way he can, and I totally support collaboration and change but your contention here is baseless in my humble opinion. peace.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: September 21, 2011 20:04

"In an interview aired on Absolute Radio this evening Mick said of the Stones "There are no plans to tour". That's a quote."

That is not what I heard. He said there is no Tour Plan for Superheavy.

Date: September 21, 2011 20:28

Naturalust
Gazza

There is absolutely no schedule conflict between SuperHeavy and what the Rolling Stones will or won't do.

You keep saying this Gazza. I have no idea what you are talking about. I want my stones NOW and yes they could be writing and recording a new record RIGHT NOW. How could you possibly say that SH is not a big distraction (at the least) possibly a road block (at the most) to getting our stones back together. I don't mind Mick trying to get his creative thing on whatever way he can, and I totally support collaboration and change but your contention here is baseless in my humble opinion. peace.

Are you serious?

SuperHeavy is all but done. The album is out, the interviews are nearly finished and there will be no concerts. There's hardly anything else to promote.

Its September 2011. Not June 2012. Jagger was releasing solo albums in November 2001 and November 2004. LATER than he has done this time. The Stones still managed to go on the road the following summer each time and also have new material released.

Who's to say they havent been writing? They dont write together anyway. They dont even need to record together. Most of the last record wasnt even made with the four of them in the same room at the same time. Mick has even said that he's been doing some songs with Charlie.

The biggest 'roadblock' to 'your' Stones working together is the fact that Jagger's principal co-writer has pretty much dried up creatively since 1997.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 21, 2011 20:31

Gazza
Naturalust
Gazza

Are you serious?

SuperHeavy is all but done. The album is out, the interviews are nearly finished and there will be no concerts. There's hardly anything else to promote.

Its September 2011. Not June 2012. Jagger was releasing solo albums in November 2001 and November 2004. LATER than he has done this time. The Stones still managed to go on the road the following summer each time and also have new material released.

Who's to say they havent been writing? They dont write together anyway. They dont even need to record together. Most of the last record wasnt even made with the four of them in the same room at the same time. Mick has even said that he's been doing some songs with Charlie.

The biggest 'roadblock' to 'your' Stones working together is the fact that Jagger's principal co-writer has pretty much dried up creatively since 1997.
thumbs up Exactly

Date: September 21, 2011 20:44

Gazza
Naturalust
Gazza

Are you serious?

Well, since I generally trust your insights and comments I am happy to hear your reply at least the part about SH being all but done (and on the eve of the CD release no less). I am just as seriously bummed out that you think Keith is not a force of creation anymore. To that I will counter that he probably does the same great new riffs with a few croaks and squeals as he's always done, but Mick Jagger has lost the ability (or motivation) to interpret the song out of the spark and take it and run. This was the process for most ALL the good Stones tunes (per Keith) were written. Its not fair to Keith to hold him out there with these song sparks, alone and naked without Jagger to grab the ball and run toward the goal line. I get the feeling it was a communion of those two spirits which made the magic. I don't see Mick willing to even try this approach anymore. I'm quite sure Keith would do his part. Maybe what they need is a common foe to get them into the same kitchen again and do what they do best...together. peace.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:11

Naturalust

Well, since I generally trust your insights and comments I am happy to hear your reply at least the part about SH being all but done (and on the eve of the CD release no less). I am just as seriously bummed out that you think Keith is not a force of creation anymore. To that I will counter that he probably does the same great new riffs with a few croaks and squeals as he's always done, but Mick Jagger has lost the ability (or motivation) to interpret the song out of the spark and take it and run. This was the process for most ALL the good Stones tunes (per Keith) were written. Its not fair to Keith to hold him out there with these song sparks, alone and naked without Jagger to grab the ball and run toward the goal line. I get the feeling it was a communion of those two spirits which made the magic. I don't see Mick willing to even try this approach anymore. I'm quite sure Keith would do his part. Maybe what they need is a common foe to get them into the same kitchen again and do what they do best...together. peace.

It's really not just Keith...it's both of them. Mick has proven now with SuperHeavy that even when he is inspired and motivated to do something he wants to do...he has no real appetite to come up with original lyrics or interesting music. You combine this with Keith just not bringing anything worthwhile to the table anymore...and we have where we are today.

It's great that Mick and Charlie were working on songs--on what seems to be a very productive session. Let's hope that SuperHeavy does what every other Mick solo outing has done: refocus his brain on new fresh Stones music.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:14

I'm going to have to go with Gazza on this one. Mick has clearly been the one doing anything with anything these days.
Jagger spearheaded the Exile bonus stuff.
He's the one who finished songs that were musical enough to inspire him. He didn't have to do that, but the old music sparked inspiration, so he (HE, not any THEY) went ahead and worked on it.
Jagger did this, not Keith.
Keith played a three-note solo on one song or whatever, and didn't even KNOW that Taylor was involved!!!
Jagger's the one who had Ladies and Gents re-released, not Keith.
Jagger's the one who's putting together MORE new lyrics to MORE Stones outtakes with the Some Girls set. And where's Keith? Does he even know about it??
And let me guess who's responsible for the new Texas 78 DVD... the sme guy who's also found time to do Superheavy ON TOP of the Stones output.

We all know what Keith has done in this time period - he wrote a Jagger hatefest book. (slow clap)

I believe that The Rolling Stones requires propotionate input from both Jagger and Richards. This is why The Stones are done in my eyes. Bless Jagger for still working his butt off. But I'm afraid that something's being swept under the rug: there are no more Stones because Richards is unable to function as one. Physically and creatively Keith is spent.

RIP Keith Richard's career as a musician.
Threrefore
RIP The Rolling Stones.

To think it almost lasted 50 years!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: September 21, 2011 21:21

Justin
Naturalust

It's really not just Keith...it's both of them. Mick has proven now with SuperHeavy that even when he is inspired and motivated to do something he wants to do...he has no real appetite to come up with original lyrics or interesting music. You combine this with Keith just not bringing anything worthwhile to the table anymore...and we have where we are today.

It's great that Mick and Charlie were working on songs--on what seems to be a very productive session. Let's hope that SuperHeavy does what every other Mick solo outing has done: refocus his brain on new fresh Stones music.

if you could hear Keith for 15 minutes with just his acoustic guitar, in 2011 you would not be of the opinion that he brings nothing to the table. I have heard him in just such an intimate setting and he is still just friggin amazing. Knarled fingers and all. And I am a guitar player for many years. I assure you, He still has IT. That's why I pray that MJ is healed from his affleunza and LVS and comes back to the kitchen with the motivation to "do what it takes". I'm all for locking them in a room for days until they work out their differences and start the intimate songwriting again. I know Keith loves Mick dearly, I'm not sure about how Mick feels. peace.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:33

Well that's great that Keith can play an acoustic guitar. But what good does that do the Stones? He plays electric on all but one or two songs in the set. They won't do an all stripped down acoustic tour. They're not going to write an unplugged country or blues album. So what's the point?

Keith's issues are twofold: 1) unable to stick to rhythm playing 2) he can't be bothered to actually learn all the non-warhorse songs. This is why he constantly noodles on stage. Both these issues most likely effected by this physical limitations. What has Keith done to help the situation to help the band and not hurt it??...nothing.

Fans fantasize about the scenario that Mick and Keith need to be locked in a room to write great songs....I'll say it again: we already got that: it's called A Bigger Bang. That's the best they could come up with, folks. Locking them in a kitchen, pantry or closet isn't going to make the songwriting any better. They're running on fumes and they know it doesn't take much to splice together a song. plop it on an album...and shove it out to the fans who will proceed to eat it up. At this point, fans don't even care what they write..they just want to HEAR them do something new. That really gives them the license to just not care.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home