Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 25, 2015 17:37

Undercover1
Thanks treacle, No, mine does not have ffrr anywhere, cover or label.

Undercover1

I'm going from memory here, so anything is possible, however I recollect that the ffrr were the original releases pressed in the UK for sale in the US. The later ones, not ffrr and open lettered LONDON (not boxed) were the initial US-made pressings.

Is it possible for you to take a photo of your label and post Undercover1?

Date: October 25, 2015 17:38

treaclefingers
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Råkk & Rålls. They recently bought two huge RS collections. Candy shop indeed thumbs up

La de swinge la de råkk & råll...

who's Selling his RS - Collection..confused smiley

I'm sure it's an estate sale....sad to know that will happen to all our collections one day!

Hold on tight... He sold his copies, he still owns all those releases smiling smiley

Date: October 25, 2015 17:42

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Råkk & Rålls. They recently bought two huge RS collections. Candy shop indeed thumbs up

I'm sure it's an estate sale....sad to know that will happen to all our collections one day!

Hold on tight... He sold his copies, he still owns all those releases smiling smiley

So you're saying that the original owner is just selling extra copies of his collection, if effect, lightening up?

If so that's cool...I've often thought about that myself. I have uber-multiple copies of certain releases that really shouldn't be taking up so much space. I rather think that some of the stuff has gone up a fair bit in value.

Just hard to justify the time going through everything and deciding what to sell, and then posting each thing on EBAY.

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: October 25, 2015 19:25

let me figure out how....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 19:26 by Undercover1.

Date: October 25, 2015 19:35

Here ya go treacle......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 19:37 by Undercover1.

Date: October 25, 2015 20:59

Thanks undercover...yeah, so that's a later pressing, probably sometime late 60s. Not a monster collectible but still, a piece of history and if it's in good condition a joy to play!

I've gotten several of those boxed London's for some of the other 60s releases. I never seem to stop collecting. Once I have a copy of any particular 60s albums, I look for rarer or better quality versions. As you get more, you can afford to be picky! Good luck man!

Date: October 25, 2015 23:12

Thanks treacle, but to my knowledge there wasn't another mono pressing after 1965,stereo yes, but unaware of mono. But I may be wrong, you guys know more about this stuff than me...It looks great and plays great so im happy with it either way.

You know what I find peculiar about it though? It doesn't have the name of the album, 12x5, on the label....strange, but maybe that's how they all are.

Thanks for the insight though!!!

-Undecover1

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 23:18 by Undercover1.

Date: October 26, 2015 00:52

Undercover1
Thanks treacle, but to my knowledge there wasn't another mono pressing after 1965,stereo yes, but unaware of mono. But I may be wrong, you guys know more about this stuff than me...It looks great and plays great so im happy with it either way.

You know what I find peculiar about it though? It doesn't have the name of the album, 12x5, on the label....strange, but maybe that's how they all are.

Thanks for the insight though!!!

-Undecover1
No, that is weird I think. Check the back of the album cover, does it say DECCA or London? The cover for 12x5 and the UK No. 2 are the same, but the UK album has no words.

Date: October 26, 2015 01:26

Here is the back cover treacs..... no mention of either, just the LL 3402

Date: October 26, 2015 01:29

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Come On
DandelionPowderman

So you're saying that the original owner is just selling extra copies of his collection, if effect, lightening up?

If so that's cool...I've often thought about that myself. I have uber-multiple copies of certain releases that really shouldn't be taking up so much space. I rather think that some of the stuff has gone up a fair bit in value.

Just hard to justify the time going through everything and deciding what to sell, and then posting each thing on EBAY.

Yes

Date: October 26, 2015 03:43

Undercover1
Here is the back cover treacs..... no mention of either, just the LL 3402

undercover1...you're rocking my rollingstonesvinyl world. I'm not aware of a 12x5 cover without the 12x5 on the front cover.

Is anyone aware of this? BTW, I'm pretty sure they continued the mono's well into the 70s, although with different labels.

Date: October 26, 2015 03:52

No treacle... It's ON the cover! It's NOT on the label!! Don't let your world rock yet... I think u misunderstood. See my pics..

Date: October 26, 2015 03:57

Undercover1
No treacle... It's ON the cover! It's NOT on the label!! Don't let your world rock yet... I think u misunderstood. See my pics..

OH...right, that's normal then. Carry on!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 26, 2015 07:11

For the record (pun intended) TSMR was the last Stones LP pressed in Mono. Some say it's a better and louder mix than the Decca pressing. I had it once but the condition wasn't good enough for to make a fair comparison. Happy hunting fellas.

Date: October 26, 2015 18:17

frankotero
For the record (pun intended) TSMR was the last Stones LP pressed in Mono. Some say it's a better and louder mix than the Decca pressing. I had it once but the condition wasn't good enough for to make a fair comparison. Happy hunting fellas.

And just for clarification, you mean the US pressings. In the UK, Beggar's and Let It Bleed both came out on mono.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: October 26, 2015 19:13

In UK every LP from the first LP till Let it Bleed is or was in mono, Decca, red labels.
Included:
Out of Our heads UK and (Export)
Big Hits
Flowers
Through The Past Darkly
Have You Seen your Mother Live.

Date: October 26, 2015 19:52

Yes, treacle. I'm talking about the U.S. London label. By the way there is suppose to be 2 true mono tracks on Decca (UK) Beggar's Banquet, Sympathy and SFM. Anything after that is supposedly fold downs. Good luck finding a U.S. mono of TSMR. It's damned expensive and rare in excellent condition. Cheers.

Date: October 26, 2015 20:27

Here is one: TSMR

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Date: October 26, 2015 23:40

tioms
In UK every LP from the first LP till Let it Bleed is or was in mono, Decca, red labels.
Included:
Big Hits
Flowers
Through The Past Darkly

Of course you realize that for both 'Hits' albums and TSMR the DECCA mono label was light blue, not red.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 26, 2015 23:55

treaclefingers
tioms
Included:
Big Hits
Flowers
Through The Past Darkly

Of course you realize that for both 'Hits' albums and TSMR the DECCA mono label was light blue, not red.

"Through The Past Darkly" had red labels.
[www.45worlds.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 27, 2015 06:40

Deltics
treaclefingers
tioms
Included:
Big Hits
Flowers
Through The Past Darkly

"Through The Past Darkly" had red labels.
[www.45worlds.com]

just seeing if you're paying attention. Carry on!

Date: October 27, 2015 10:41

Yes, I was forgotten that.
I didn't taken them out for years, only HYSYM LIVE.
Thanks for your attention.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 27, 2015 12:00

tioms

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Had to take a look , I got one !

Woo Hoo !!

Date: October 27, 2015 15:31

boston2006
tioms

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Had to take a look , I got one !

Woo Hoo !!

OK that made me look...I don't sad smiley

But I do have a DECCA Mono!

Date: October 27, 2015 16:23

Congrats Boston2006. If you have the UK Decca Mono maybe you can make a comparison for us? I'm curious to know. And, enjoy your knew treasure!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 27, 2015 19:27

Just came by the US mail

It's Only Rock 'n Roll , Italian issue

Date: October 27, 2015 21:22

frankotero
Congrats Boston2006. If you have the UK Decca Mono maybe you can make a comparison for us? I'm curious to know. And, enjoy your knew treasure!

the complicated part is that there are two versions of the DECCA Mono as well, the original being true mono, and the slightly later edition being a stereo fold down. I have no idea why they did that...you can tell by the matrix numbers but off hand I don't have that info.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 27, 2015 21:33

treaclefingers
frankotero

the complicated part is that there are two versions of the DECCA Mono as well, the original being true mono, and the slightly later edition being a stereo fold down. I have no idea why they did that...you can tell by the matrix numbers but off hand I don't have that info.

That is rather strange. I'd be curious to hear the difference in the mixes. Perhaps there was a problem with the original mono master or the stereo fold down actually sounded better than the original mono mix for some reason.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 27, 2015 21:43

Naturalust
treaclefingers
frankotero

That is rather strange. I'd be curious to hear the difference in the mixes. Perhaps there was a problem with the original mono master or the stereo fold down actually sounded better than the original mono mix for some reason.

Some info here: [www.stonesondecca.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 28, 2015 04:07

Deltics
Naturalust
treaclefingers
frankotero

Some info here: [www.stonesondecca.com]

Thanks for that Deltics...I've copied and pasted the text from your link, there is more info on the page than what I've posted here:

Vinyl versions

Grooved label

Both Mono and Stereo LP's can be found with grooved and non grooved labels. This indicates that mono LP's were pressed up to the end on the 60's. Satanic was the last Stones LP on Decca to have the grooved label

True Mono and fold down from Stereo to Mono, two different mixes existing

The mono LP of Satanic is existing in two different versions. The original master tape was mixed two times, the first one was used for mono records only and the second one was used both for mono and stereo records. The two mixes used for pressing mono records can be identified by the matrix number

The first mix that was used on mono records has the following matrix number:

ARL-8126-1P on side one and ARL-8127-P1 on side two

The second mix that was used on later mono records and on all stereo records has:

Mono: ARL-8126-T2-2K for side one and ARL-8127-T2-2K for side two

Stereo: ZAL-8126-T2-5K for side one and ZAL-8127-T2-5K for side two

The last two digits may change from one record to another, the letter is identifying the person who cut the original Master Laquer, also called acetate. The last number before the letter indicates how many times Mr K has recut a new Master Laquer. The key indicator on Satanic is the T2. Decca used to identify a new mix by adding the code T2 and Satanic is the only LP that has been cut and pressed from two different mixes and where it is possible to confirm this through the matrix numbers. This way of working was common on 7” single records, they had T1 indicated that it was Take 1 of the title. If the producer rejected the take he would remix the track and then it become Take 2.

A LP that do not have the T2 in the full matrix numbers is a true mono mix. If the LP has the T2 code, then it is basically a stereo mix that has been folded down to one channel for mono sound. You can actually hear the difference in between a “non T2” true mono pressing and a T2 stereo fold down to mono pressing. Take the song “The Lantern” for example, there is a bell tolling in the beginning of the song:

A true mono record has the bell tolling three times before the music starts (matrix ARL-8127-??)

A fold down from stereo to mono AND a real stereo LP has the bell tolling two times before the music starts. (matrix ARL or ZAL-8127-T2-xx)

There may also be other differences on the sound.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home