Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Love You Live
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 12, 2011 12:59

For quite a while now I've had LYL on the cd player, I always hada close affinity with this recording as I was at Les Abbatoirs, but the more I listen to it the more I'm impressed, obviously it's littered with overdubs but nevertheless overdubs or not, the guitar playing is sublime from both Keith and Ron - weaving at it's best. I love every song on LYL many were never bettered in my opinion. The band was balanced perfectly, backing musicians at the top of their game. Put it on turn it up real loud and savour the Stones. The mixing and production is so @#$%& good, every instrument mixed to perfection, Jagger's singing is brilliant. Pretty much as good as Get Yer YA YAs Out...but not quite.

Re: Love You Live
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 12, 2011 13:07

crumbling_mice
Jagger's singing is brilliant. Pretty much as good as Get Yer YA YAs Out...but not quite.

Exactly, Jagger's singing was even more brilliant on Ya Yas...

Date: August 12, 2011 13:24

Jagger on Mannish boy surpasses what he did on Ya Ya's, imo. Brilliant!

Date: August 12, 2011 13:26

DandelionPowderman

Maybe, but the songs that are on both albums (JJF, HTW, SFTD) are clearly inferior vocally.

Date: August 12, 2011 13:47

Sleepy City
DandelionPowderman

Maybe, but the songs that are on both albums (JJF, HTW, SFTD) are clearly inferior vocally.

Agree!

Date: August 12, 2011 14:10

I'd always held GYYO's as the pinnacle of live albums and still do, but LYL betters it in some ways - the mixing and production specifically. I know that technology was much improved by 76 but it still takes skill to create something as effective as LYL, look and listen to the other live albums around at the time, Lynryd Skynrd etc - shocking quality in comparison. Admittedly, sleepy Ctiy is quite correct in that HTW and SFTD are better on GYYO's but I'd argue HTW is better on LYL - but only just.

Date: August 12, 2011 14:30

crumbling_mice
I'd always held GYYO's as the pinnacle of live albums and still do, but LYL betters it in some ways - the mixing and production specifically. I know that technology was much improved by 76 but it still takes skill to create something as effective as LYL, look and listen to the other live albums around at the time, Lynryd Skynrd etc - shocking quality in comparison. Admittedly, sleepy Ctiy is quite correct in that HTW and SFTD are better on GYYO's but I'd argue HTW is better on LYL - but only just.

Agree on HTW, but JJF and SFTD (even though I like this version) aren't up to par with the versions on Ya Ya's, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-12 14:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: August 12, 2011 14:39

HTW is quite horrible on GYYO while it's perfect on LYL. The best live version ever.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 12, 2011 14:42

Love You Live, even for me sailed up to be Stone's best live album, and then it had also to contend with the intro of Still Life ... not bad ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 12, 2011 15:03

I've been listening to LYL and I like the playing. Other than the El Mocambo side though Mick to me is at his absolute nadir. Side 4 is brutal the man is inaudible the vocal performance on Brown Sugar is putrid. I'm sorry to fans of the album but that is my opinion.

Date: August 12, 2011 15:28

slew
I've been listening to LYL and I like the playing. Other than the El Mocambo side though Mick to me is at his absolute nadir. Side 4 is brutal the man is inaudible the vocal performance on Brown Sugar is putrid. I'm sorry to fans of the album but that is my opinion.

I know what you mean, but there are many exceptions, too.

- Fingerprint File has even better vocals than the studio version.
- You Gotta Move is cool.
- Hot Stuff has great vocals.
- The growling suits Star Star brilliantly.
- YCAGWYW isn't that bad
- IORR is the best live version ever.

Added with the brilliant El Mocambo-side, the vocals on the album is better than its reputation, imo.

BUT: JJF and BS have horrible vocals indeed. Same with GOOMC.

Date: August 12, 2011 22:10

I'm impressed...I thought Love you Live would get slated on here. I'm hoping one day they will bring out the live footage of the paris shows, they were screened once on UK network in 1977 aand then never shown again - very strange.

Date: August 12, 2011 22:11

crumbling_mice
I'm hoping one day they will bring out the live footage of the paris shows, they were screened once on UK network in 1977 aand then never shown again - very strange.

Fortunately there's some excellent bootleg DVDs. winking smiley

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: August 12, 2011 22:12

Soundwise, the mix/production, to me this live album has always been their best

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2011 00:58

Love You live is the best (live) album with Ron to me. It's released in '77, so one can expect a better sound quality. Nothing beats Get Yer YA YAs Out and Brussels when it comes to live performances though, from a musical point of view.

Lou Reed's Rock n Roll Animal can be compared to Ya Ya's:
The best offically released Rock Live albums in the early 7-tees and the greatest interaction between 2 guitarists the world has ever heard when it comes to 7-tees Rock, in my opinion.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 13, 2011 01:05

I'd have Love You Live over Get Yer Ya-Yas Out every day of the week, mainly cos I'm a Ronnie guy and the sound is better.

Also I think one Chuck Berry tune per live album is enough, although I LOVE CB I think Mick and Keef are well stocked in their amo of songs....

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 13, 2011 02:19

DandelionPowderman
slew

I know what you mean, but there are many exceptions, too.

- Fingerprint File has even better vocals than the studio version.
- You Gotta Move is cool.
- Hot Stuff has great vocals.
- The growling suits Star Star brilliantly.
- YCAGWYW isn't that bad
- IORR is the best live version ever.

Added with the brilliant El Mocambo-side, the vocals on the album is better than its reputation, imo.

BUT: JJF and BS have horrible vocals indeed. Same with GOOMC.

+1 on Star Star and IORR--better than the studio versions.

LYL doesn't deserve the bad reputation it's received. You want bad Stones live, grab the Got Live LP (although the EP of the same name was great).

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 13, 2011 02:32

I'll take Love You Live over ANY of the Vegas-era Stones live albums myself.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 13, 2011 03:02

I love Crackin' Up. Many years ago it led me to track down Bo's original version and then I ended up buying tons of Bo CD's. ANyone who hasn't done this should take my advice and do so LOL

Date: August 13, 2011 10:13

stevecardi
You want bad Stones live, grab the Got Live LP (although the EP of the same name was great).

The mixing might be bad, but apart from the sloppy 'Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby' the performances are fabulous, full of energy & passion!

Date: August 13, 2011 12:34

Sleepy City
stevecardi
You want bad Stones live, grab the Got Live LP (although the EP of the same name was great).

The mixing might be bad, but apart from the sloppy 'Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby' the performances are fabulous, full of energy & passion!

Sorry Sleepy City, but I must respectfully disagree with you. That's one Stones album I just never liked from the get-go, and one that's never grown on me (unlike Buttons and Undercover).
It also urks me because there are some amazing performances from the Jones-era that are far more worthy of release (Paris '67, Honolulu '66 etc).

And as I previously stated, the Got Live EP is awesome. Their version of "I'm Moving On" is one of my all-time favorites.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-13 12:44 by stevecardi.

Date: August 13, 2011 12:35

Deleted---accidental repost of above

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-13 14:31 by stevecardi.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 13, 2011 13:08

jamesfdouglas
I'll take Love You Live over ANY of the Vegas-era Stones live albums myself.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: August 13, 2011 13:17

Can't agree///Got Live is just awful. I'm sure better stuff will come out from that era but at the moment the first decent live recording was GYYY's

Date: August 13, 2011 13:20

Date: August 13, 2011 14:43

Sorry Sleepy, that hasn't persuaded me! thumbs down

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 14, 2011 16:32

Best version of IORR on there IMHO

Date: August 14, 2011 16:56

tomcat2006

Agree 100% tomcat - biting rock and roll!

Date: August 14, 2011 22:37

crumbling_mice
tomcat2006

Agree 100% tomcat - biting rock and roll!

I agree too (love Charlie's drumming on this version!).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 18, 2011 07:49

I was massively disappointed in Love You Live, and that I had been duped into paying for a double album when only the El Macambo side was worth having. I haven't listened to the Paris cuts since 1977.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home