Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Love You Live
Posted by: robertfraser ()
Date: August 18, 2011 10:51

Really like love you live it's a shame though that they didn't include what i think is the most heartfelt and brillant guitar performance by my hero Keith.

he complements mick's vocals, never over playing but never understated either,your ear is drawen to his playing.

The fact that his son Tara passed away on the day also makes this a devasting performance in unfortunate circumstances.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 18, 2011 11:09

Wonderful....I was at that show and Keith played a blinder, of course none of us in the audience knew about his daughter - a true performer. Strange that in Barbara Charone's book on Keith she states that Fool to Cry was the song Keith disliked playing the most, even falling asleep on stage whilst playing the solo at one show!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 18, 2011 11:21

crumbling_mice
Wonderful....I was at that show and Keith played a blinder, of course none of us in the audience knew about his daughter - a true performer. Strange that in Barbara Charone's book on Keith she states that Fool to Cry was the song Keith disliked playing the most, even falling asleep on stage whilst playing the solo at one show!

I've always found it strange that it's been performed so rarely since 1976, particularly as it was such a giant hit in the UK (bigger than both IORR & SMU). A much better song than Miss You imo.

Date: August 18, 2011 11:26

Yeah, agree sleepy, it was everywhere in the uk summer 76 when it was released, I guess Ms Charone was right and Keith hates it so it gets left out. A shame as I really like it and think Black and Blue is a massively underestimated album.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 18, 2011 11:51

I must admit, I really liked LYL at the time that I first got into it ('81/'82 that was). I even liked it more than Ya Ya's at first (quite hard to admit, but I guess it was due to the clearness and separation of the mix; I also liked Jagger's sluttish, arrogant vocals then, as I took them as a proof for certified coolness). I even created a cassette with album highlights for a friend of mine, that changed the track order, starting with "If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off My Cloud", trying to maximise the album's coolness factor.

But I was only beginning to really dig the Stones at the time, and it didn't take too long to discover that Ya Ya's is the vastly superior record. I mean, it's still great fun to listen to certain sections of LYL, no doubt about that. And it's also quite interesting to ponder about how it came out the way it is. But, apart from the El Mocambo Side, and maybe one or two further tracks, I must say, I consider it as one big, boring letdown - especially after the fabulous opener Honky Tonk Woman.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-18 16:47 by Greenblues.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 18, 2011 12:22

Love you Live was my second Stones album I got. Mostly because it was a double album (more band for the paper route buck) and because it was live. I was fascinated by it. From the cover of biting, to the wealth of material on it. And what really hit me was how loud of a mix it was. It thundered. My room was shaking from the opening sounds of Fanfare, with the percussion, fire crackers, to the big thundering chord opening Honkey Tonk. And the crowd is crazy on that album. Don't get me wrong, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out is one of the best live albums of history, but the crowd always sounded so subdued. And on LYL it sounds like the Nuremburg rallies! Frantic fandom. The legend of The bad boy Rolling Stones. And I loved that it had a distinct feel on each side of the album, which is lost a bit on the CD. Side one was barrel house rock. Full on in your face riffing, prancing, and adrenaline. Side two was the laid back funk/blues work out. Side Three was the club. The legend. And the side I always came back to when I only had time for one side of the album. They are on fire! Ron is blistering, especially on Around and Around. Then side four turns up the back burner again to close with a blistering run that left you wondering what just happened. For me, it has aged well, and I still love it. And I agree with everyone here who lauds Its Only Rock and Roll. It is so alive and decadent. It slithers and bites with a vengeance and it is raunch supreme. The way I love my Stones.

Date: August 18, 2011 12:28

whitem8
Love you Live was my second Stones album I got. Mostly because it was a double album (more band for the paper route buck) and because it was live. I was fascinated by it. From the cover of biting, to the wealth of material on it. And what really hit me was how loud of a mix it was. It thundered. My room was shaking from the opening sounds of Fanfare, with the percussion, fire crackers, to the big thundering chord opening Honkey Tonk. And the crowd is crazy on that album. Don't get me wrong, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out is one of the best live albums of history, but the crowd always sounded so subdued. And on LYL it sounds like the Nuremburg rallies! Frantic fandom. The legend of The bad boy Rolling Stones. And I loved that it had a distinct feel on each side of the album, which is lost a bit on the CD. Side one was barrel house rock. Full on in your face riffing, prancing, and adrenaline. Side two was the laid back funk/blues work out. Side Three was the club. The legend. And the side I always came back to when I only had time for one side of the album. They are on fire! Ron is blistering, especially on Around and Around. Then side four turns up the back burner again to close with a blistering run that left you wondering what just happened. For me, it has aged well, and I still love it. And I agree with everyone here who lauds Its Only Rock and Roll. It is so alive and decadent. It slithers and bites with a vengeance and it is raunch supreme. The way I love my Stones.

>grinning smiley< - Spot on!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 18, 2011 12:34

tnx crumbling. And by the way, I love your screen name! Great play on one of my favorite Stone's tracks.

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: August 18, 2011 13:40

24FPS
I was massively disappointed in Love You Live, and that I had been duped into paying for a double album when only the El Macambo side was worth having. I haven't listened to the Paris cuts since 1977.

DITTO!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1575
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home