Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones -Ed Sullivan Box Set From Sofa Entertainment?
Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: July 30, 2011 21:43

Has anyone heard anything about Sofa Entertainment releasing a Rolling Stones box set of all their appearances on the Ed Sullivan show shown in their entirety? A couple of months ago there was a rumor of Sofa Entertainment putting an amazing box set of all six Stones appearances on DVD.

Below is what was floating around:

DELUXE VERSION

2 or 3 DVDs + 2 CDs of shows from 1964-1969: six complete 1 hour Ed Sullivan shows.

· Limited Edition: numbered, in special packaging.

· 17 total performances of the Stones including 4 #1s (track list below).

· First time all these performances have been made available.

· Collectible memorabilia based on original materials from the Sullivan production files, including copies or photos of original contracts signed by members of the Stones, letters to/from the Stones, photos, tickets, etc. Some items will be actual replicas of the originals. Plus there will be authoritative liner notes from an expert writer.

· Includes numerous other musical guests including Tom Jones, Dusty Springfield, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Petula Clark, and numerous comedians, dancers and even the Muppets!

· Digitally remastering of both audio and video for the first time (quality of the footage is fantastic)

· $99.98

STANDARD VERSION

· 2 or 3 DVDs in standard Amaray.

· 17 total performances of the Stones including 4 #1s (track list below)

· Smaller booklet featuring some of the memorabilia, liners, photos but no reproductions.

· $49.98

SINGLE 1DVD VERSION (STANDARD AMARAY)

Stones performances featured:

1. Around & Around (2:45)

2. Time Is On My Side (3:15)

3. The Last Time (3:30)

4. Little Red Rooster (2:45)

5. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (2:15)

6. 2120 South Michigan Avenue (1:20) (with end credits)

7. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (3:15)

8. As Tears Go By (2:40)

9. 19th Nervous Breakdown (4:25)

10. Paint It, Black (2:50)

11. Lady Jane (2:50)

12. Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow (2:45)

13. Ruby Tuesday (3:30)

14. Let’s Spend The Night (“Some Time”) Together (3:30)

15. Gimme Shelter (4:00)

16. Love In Vain (4:00)

17. Honky Tonk Woman (3:25)

(Total running time of Rolling Stones performances: 53:40)

Re: Stones -Ed Sullivan Box Set From Sofa Entertainment?
Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: July 30, 2011 21:49

Sounds amazing. PLEEEEASE follow through with it. Maybe this is the beginning of more great things to come. Who knows what is in store for the 50th Anniversary next year. I'm sick and tired of looking at the bootlegs. Let's get this out.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 30, 2011 21:57

Shame they haven't included the dress rehearsal for their 1967 appearance which circulates on other bootlegs.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 30, 2011 21:59

I think I have seen most of those , with the exception of the live performance of 2120 South Michigan Avenue.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:01

mitchflorida
I think I have seen most of those , with the exception of the live performance of 2120 South Michigan Avenue.

x2

Date: July 30, 2011 22:07

Sleepy City
Shame they haven't included the dress rehearsal for their 1967 appearance which circulates on other bootlegs.

Maybe they will. Is this official or just an idea Sofa Entertainment has? I wonder.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:49

SOFA's website gives no clue. I already have some of those performances from previous Sullivan DVDs. The 3 songs with Mick Taylor are pretty lame, as it's just Jagger singing live over studio backing tracks, especially evident on Honky Tonk Women. This would have been a great idea if you didn't already have them from boots and official sources.

Date: July 30, 2011 23:29

24FPS
SOFA's website gives no clue. I already have some of those performances from previous Sullivan DVDs. The 3 songs with Mick Taylor are pretty lame, as it's just Jagger singing live over studio backing tracks, especially evident on Honky Tonk Women. This would have been a great idea if you didn't already have them from boots and official sources.

Live vocals with pre-recorded backing tracks were used for all songs from Paint It Black onwards.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: July 31, 2011 00:17

We all have those performances omn boots. However picture & sound will be greatly inproved on official release.

Soulsurvivor

Date: July 31, 2011 00:26

soulsurvivor1
We all have those performances omn boots. However picture & sound will be greatly inproved on official release.

I agree with you Soulsurvivor. The bootlegs have pretty bad picture quality, especially the color footage. Who knows what they might put on as bonus material. This is long overdue for an official release.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 31, 2011 00:41

Of course I imagine if these were from the masters it would be an improvement but theres boots out there where the color footage is pretty damn good...

Date: July 31, 2011 00:43

scottkeef
Of course I imagine if these were from the masters it would be an improvement but theres boots out there where the color footage is pretty damn good...

I don't think any of the boots are quite as good as the clips used in the 1989 "25 X 5" documentary.

Date: July 31, 2011 00:47

Even some of the Ed Sullivan official releases on DVD of various artists you can clearly see the improvement in the color footage as compared to the bootlegs. This is going to be a big upgrade compared to the boots.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 31, 2011 03:07

Would be great to see these in pristine condition... if they can make old old shows e.g. "Hogan's Heros" and Charlie's Angels" look GREAT on my High Def TVs... surely they can work some magic with these... it would make a ""really really great sheeeeew""

PS
OT- Still waiting and waiting for them to release uncut Johnny Carson's Tonight shows. I know he negotiated ownership of the tapes, and they are preserved in a cave somehwere... now we are just waiting... and waiting... and waiting is the hardest part

Date: July 31, 2011 16:21

If Sofa does this project than maybe we will see other Stones' appearances on television shows come out.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: July 31, 2011 16:37

Let's stop for a while... 2120 played live? I think it was the recording song with closing credits... rocksoff.org in the set-list page:

28 - 2120 South Michigan Avenue - Nanker-Phelge - 1964 - NEVER PERFORMED - NEVER PERFORMED

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: July 31, 2011 17:56

Max'sKansasCity
PS
OT- Still waiting and waiting for them to release uncut Johnny Carson's Tonight shows. I know he negotiated ownership of the tapes, and they are preserved in a cave somehwere... now we are just waiting... and waiting... and waiting is the hardest part

I'm not sure how many 'uncut' Carson shows we'll ever see. He owns the tapes but each individual performer probably has to sign off (get paid), and that's when it gets tricky. I have some great individual 'Andy Williams Show' DVDs, but they're generally all cut down in time due to various issues, most likely individual performance or music release issues. (Again, get paid). Music clearances are what killed the WKRP in Cincinnati boxsets (at least to being authentic). Even the Ed Sullivan various boxsets (as far as I know), have never released a Dave Clark Five performance, and The Dave Clark Five appeared many times on Sullivan.

Date: July 31, 2011 18:03

Sort of OT but the official bio of the Stones on the SOFA website pissed me off. It states that the Stones started with Mick and Keith's reunion at a train station. Then it implies the other 'sidemen' joined their enterprise. Brian and Stu, screwed again.

Date: July 31, 2011 18:35

24FPS
Max'sKansasCity
PS

I'm not sure how many 'uncut' Carson shows we'll ever see. He owns the tapes but each individual performer probably has to sign off (get paid), and that's when it gets tricky. I have some great individual 'Andy Williams Show' DVDs, but they're generally all cut down in time due to various issues, most likely individual performance or music release issues. (Again, get paid). Music clearances are what killed the WKRP in Cincinnati boxsets (at least to being authentic). Even the Ed Sullivan various boxsets (as far as I know), have never released a Dave Clark Five performance, and The Dave Clark Five appeared many times on Sullivan.

Dang, so Johnny was smart enough to "own" the shows, but not smart enough to have all guests sign off allowing their appearance to be reshown... that is too bad. I have watched some Johnny 1/2 hours showsbeing shown these days, where it is just his comedy, not the whole show. It is good stuff, if you ever get a chance to watch, kind of dated, but still historically funny.

Date: July 31, 2011 19:03

dandelion1967
Let's stop for a while... 2120 played live? I think it was the recording song with closing credits... rocksoff.org in the set-list page:

28 - 2120 South Michigan Avenue - Nanker-Phelge - 1964 - NEVER PERFORMED - NEVER PERFORMED

Completely untrue. They do it live on the Ed Sullivan show. I've seen it. It's 100% live. They did a live version of 2120 on the BBC as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 19:04 by originalstones.

Date: July 31, 2011 19:26

originalstones
They did a live version of 2120 on the BBC as well.

I'm not sure if a BBC studio version (with no audience) counts as a "live" track.

Where did you see the ES 2120 footage? Would love to see it too.

Date: July 31, 2011 19:32

Max'sKansasCity
Dang, so Johnny was smart enough to "own" the shows, but not smart enough to have all guests sign off allowing their appearance to be reshown... that is too bad. I have watched some Johnny 1/2 hours showsbeing shown these days, where it is just his comedy, not the whole show. It is good stuff, if you ever get a chance to watch, kind of dated, but still historically funny.

However, this is why I love YouTube, you can catch many individual appearances there. Tons of Jonathan Winters, Don Rickles. There is of course not a lot from the 1st ten years of Carson (starting 1962). The color videotapes were almost all wiped and used again. Carson himself thought they were being stored and only discovered, to his horror, in the early 70s that they weren't. There is no video record, black and white kinescope or otherwise, of Carson's first appearance in October '62. Some years back, when Carson was still alive, his website mentioned that they wanted a copy of one of their most famous shows, the one with Dean Martin, Bob Hope and George Gobel on the panel, circa 1969, but that they thought it was lost. I contacted them and told when I was in the Army that we had filmed Tonight Shows from the Armed Forces Radio & Television Services, and that they should check their archives. Sure enough, within a year they were selling a DVD of that show from a somewhat grainy, color film copy.

There are 'true' complete color videotape American Variety Shows available through the Tennessee Ernie Ford website. They are not restored, but they're very interesting artifacts from the early days of color videotape. Each volume comes with 3 shows. My favorite is the one with the Everly Brothers, in NBC Living Color, from April 13, 1961 performing by themselves and with Ernie. These shows also include the commercials, for Ford cars, and the shows are introduced by animated Charlie Brown and other characters from Peanuts, years before the Christmas specials. And of course there is the NBC Living Color peacock.

Back on the topic of the Stones, it is tragic that early color videotapes were wiped and used again. Because of this cost saving practice we are robbed of a full color performance of 'She Said Yeah' and 'Get Off of My Cloud' from the NBC Hullabaloo program of November 15, 1965. All we're left with is a subpar black and white kinescope of the performance, made all the worse because black and white kinescopes of black and white broadcast programs are fine, but black and white kinescopes of live color broadcasts are pretty crappy. While Hullabaloo had almost all the top acts of 1965-1966 perform, in living color, only a handful of the color shows survived. Unfortunately Hullabaloo threw away most of the video masters, or simply taped over them for game shows, soap operas, whatever.

Date: July 31, 2011 19:38

24FPS
I contacted them and told when I was in the Army that we had filmed Tonight Shows from the Armed Forces Radio & Television Services, and that they should check their archives. Sure enough, within a year they were selling a DVD of that show from a somewhat grainy, color film copy.

Dude!!!! You? yourself? You contacted them?? That is as cool as it gets, talk about doing some good to make it all better... Nice work!!

Date: July 31, 2011 19:46

Sleepy City
originalstones
They did a live version of 2120 on the BBC as well.

I'm not sure if a BBC studio version (with no audience) counts as a "live" track.

Where did you see the ES 2120 footage? Would love to see it too.

A friend of mine had it years ago. It was defenitely 'live' and had end credits, just like the first post on this thread says.

I personally also do count the BBC as 'live' as well.

Date: July 31, 2011 19:50

originalstones
A friend of mine had it years ago.

Does your friend still have it?

Date: July 31, 2011 21:04

Sleepy City
originalstones

I don't know. I lost touch with him, but I can assure you I've seen it. They did it after they finished with "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" and Mick shakes Ed Sullivan's hand.

Date: July 31, 2011 22:45

originalstones
Sleepy City
originalstones

I don't know. I lost touch with him, but I can assure you I've seen it. They did it after they finished with "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" and Mick shakes Ed Sullivan's hand.

I'm not disputing your word, I'm just keen to see this myself.

Date: August 22, 2011 13:17

October 11 is the release date for the Ed Sullivan Show according to the Examiner.

Date: August 22, 2011 13:20

Here is the link on Amazon.com for the Ed Sullivan Shows.

[www.amazon.com]

Re: Stones -Ed Sullivan Box Set From Sofa Entertainment Due For Oct Release
Date: August 23, 2011 00:59

I am trying to find out more information about the box set. I'm in touch with someone who is looking into it. Once I find out more I will let everyone know.

Rob

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home