Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Songs that freeze time. Remember where you were?
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 2, 2011 18:16

I have always been amazed when a song is so good you remember the exact moment it hit your ears. Not many of them for me. Here are a few:

Sweet Home Alabama - working at the local carnival fixing bumper cars, i RAN to my teenaged boss and asked "who the heck is that? He had to spell it out for me, I got that second helping record the next day.

Allman Brothers Statesborough Blues- sitting in my friends big brothers room in the basement staring at the Fillmore East album cover.

Gimme Shelter- sitting on a bunch of pillows in my friend Jerry's garage attic hideaway, staring at the bong I think. Never got the words right till years later (blame the bong). War Children was something completely different for years.

Re: Songs that freeze time. Remember where you were?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 2, 2011 18:25

Interesting thread, not many songs are memorable the first time I hear them, usually it is later that an event associted with the song "freeezes time"... but there are a couple.... for instance;

"Rough Justice" Before the Bigger Bang tour kicked off, We were sitting across the street from Fenway Park, at a table on sidewalk, getting drinks from the bar, listening to rehearsals, heard it for the first time, heard it live, it still gives me goosebumps.

The moral- if they tour again, and kick off the tour in a outdoor venue get to the area 4 days early and hang out and listen to rehersals, it is like bonus shows.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 2, 2011 18:58

I remember where I was when I first heard Tumbling Dice . It was at the corner of Plantation and Belmont Sts in Worcester , MA . I go through this particular intersection quite often and always think of TD .

And I will always remember my tiny little bedroom on the third floor and listening to GOOMC over and over again in '65 .

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 2, 2011 18:58

John Hiatt - Big Love
My friend said stop listening to that Police crap and dig this guy on an acoustic guitar. Ry Cooder struck up the slide and my mouth fell open.

Hand Of Fate - The Rolling Stones
Growing up in Pebble Beach California...sitting on the floor watching the needle hit the vinyl. Trying to get it exactly between Hot Stuff and Hand Of Fate. Then that Tele rumbles out of those huge speakers. Then mom says turn that down and put some ABBA on!

Abbey Road Side 2 - The Beatles
Not a fan. Never really been a fan. Damn that whole side just kept going and going with amazing hook after amazing hook! I investigated them after that and was disappointed that there other stuff was not up to the same quality.

So Lonely - The Police
Watching Night Flight in the early early 80's. That song comes on with its aimless video and incredible soundtrack. I absolutely loved The Police after that. Still do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-02 20:06 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 2, 2011 19:07

Mixed Emotions - I was visiting Indianapolis during a humid August, driving a borrowed van with a crappy radio. Then I heard those drums and I instantly knew it was them. Then the bass bubbled of a couple Wyman high notes and I knew the boys were back.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: September 2, 2011 20:08

"Start Me Up" - driving on Rte 280 in West Orange NJ in August 1981. Heard the opening riff and thought how it sounded very similar to "Thunder Island" by Jay Ferguson. Once the drums kicked in, I new it was the unmistakable Mr Watts and their new single...great tune.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 2, 2011 23:51

Live Forever-Oasis

Down in my country house in august of '94, didn't have a stereo,only a CD freestyle and BANG, What a tune! Made me believe in Rock N Roll again.

Fortunate Son-Creedence CR.

At home, coming back from school and putting on the LP after buying it on a sunday and I mistakeingly put on side 2 first!

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 3, 2011 04:06

You Can't Always Get What You Want, the original LIB version, maybe like 7 or 8 years ago, when it comes to that sort of instrumental bridge with Keith playing those bends on the guitar, goosebumps, I still remember that first time I listened to it. And what a way to close that album, first Stones CD I bought.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: September 3, 2011 04:51

Gimme Shelter - Christmas morning 2008. Must have listened to it 10 times before I moved on to Love in Vain. Someone in my family managed to find a Japanese-print vinyl replica Let It Bleed at a local record store by pure accident.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: September 3, 2011 08:22

My girlfriend singing Congratulations to me in the backseat of 1950 Ford Custom

Date: September 3, 2011 23:00

whiskey
My girlfriend singing Congratulations to me in the backseat of 1950 Ford Custom

tongue sticking out smiley, Well, please don't keep us waiting, did she turn into your wife? And more importantly for this country boy, do you still have the '50 Ford? nice post!

Date: September 3, 2011 23:06

I love the answers to this thread just what I was shopping for. I am however really SURPRISED over the number of people hearing those stones songs for the first time in this new millineum. They have been a part of my world for a tad longer. Great to see older good music picking up new fans all the time. Timeless indeed, rock and roll is forever. peace.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 3, 2011 23:18

Bhohemian Rhapsody (Esp) and Night at the Opera - in my girlfriend's bedroom when we should have been at school and her mother was in work.........1975...smoking smiley

AND.... Hotstuff in May.1983...(Although I had B & B when it came out)....on the day I met my wife.............she was dancing to it in a friend's kitchen..........cool smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-03 23:36 by EddieByword.

Date: September 3, 2011 23:46

Magic Man - Heart- the guitar solo. Walking home from school with my new "older" girlfriend. I can still smell the perfume she had on. About once a year since then, I get a whiff of something similar when walking the streets or at a party and I am immediately brought to attention. I'm flooded with her memory (Magic Man soundtrack included) , and the desire to stop all the chicks in the near vicinity, smell out the one then demand to know just what it is. People get arrested for that kind of behaviour and I have never acted out on it, thankfully. Besides it's probably something rediculous like "Dial soap". lol peace.

Date: September 4, 2011 00:10

Talking of perfume...I remember something that happened to my sister in the pub (She was also a big Stones fan, esp Ya Yas)....anyway bearing that in mind ...at the time back when we were all teenagers there was a new perfume just out called Charlie that she was wearing, this guy decided he chance his arm ...and as it happened did impress her with his opening line..............."Charlie's good tonight inhee ?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-04 00:15 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 4, 2011 00:41

Jackie Wilson ... Lonely Teardrops....

Late night radio ... WHAT A song...stunned me to the heart ...Didn't know who it was at the time and of course it ended up being the song Wilson was singing in 75 when he collapsed on stage and fell into a coma that lasted some 8-9 years before he eventually passed away in 1984......My heart is crying ..crying...

And one only has to listen to The Million Dollar Quartet to know what an impact Wilson had on The Rockin' Machine .....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 4, 2011 02:00

Rockman
Jackie Wilson ... Lonely Teardrops....

Late night radio ... WHAT A song...stunned me to the heart ...Didn't know who it was at the time and of course it ended up being the song Wilson was singing in 75 when he collapsed on stage and fell into a coma that lasted some 8-9 years before he eventually passed away in 1984......My heart is crying ..crying...

And one only has to listen to The Million Dollar Quartet to know what an impact Wilson had on The Rockin' Machine .....

Nice dance moves! The tune is a little dated for my rock and roll ears, (blame the Rubber Soul record and chemist A. Hoffman) but his high notes and dance steps were obviously studied by both MJ's. Jagger and Jackson. Nice to see where that stuff came from. peace.

Date: September 4, 2011 04:18

......okay kid you follow ya Heart.....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 4, 2011 04:38

Naturalust, Yep, she became my wife, and now 47 years later I wish I still had my single spinner Ford Custom(actually it was a '49 Custom)

Thats me,thats her and that is my beloved Ford circa late 64.

Date: September 4, 2011 04:40

.......cool whiskey a Single Spinner.... where's that whiskey WA???...gum trees

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 4, 2011 04:49

Jackie Wilson KILLS me! That jump from the step...be still my heart.

"Dogging Me Around." I could go on and on about Jackie Wilson but I am trying to stop myself from being another Watchman.

I might as well confess everything right now...lately, I am somewhat obsessed with Dion and the original version of "The Wanderer."

Date: September 4, 2011 04:54

Dion and the original version of "The Wanderer."

.......... Mighty Mighty Stuff .... And follow that drummer... he kills ... Slam Slam...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 4, 2011 05:13

Hi Rockman, Piccadilly Street, Kalgoorlie, outside girlfriends house accross the road from Kal power station. Although I bought 3 other cars later I still kept the Ford till 73. No rust, great condition. Cant get one in top condition now for under $30,000, and that goes for a girlfriend as well.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 4, 2011 15:40

It's 1964, and I'm walking on Weymouth beach one peaceful summer evening, listening to this being played from somewhere on the pier above me:

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 4, 2011 16:25

Naturalust

Sweet Home Alabama -
quote]

In May 2006, National Review ranked the song #4 on its list of "50 greatest conservative rock songs.....just about enough to hate the song forever.

Date: September 4, 2011 17:20

Another brick in the wall........coming down into the centre of town from the 'hill' in 1979..........hearing Pink Floyd blaring out of this pub the 'Prince' at mega-decibels and then seeing 4 or 5 riot vans parked across the street with all the coppers out (20 +) leaning against them with their truncheons out...boy, were they ever itching for a fight ?.............ooo-er!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-04 18:06 by EddieByword.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 4, 2011 17:24

1980, She's So Cold, listening to my 'clock radio'. First time I'd hear the ancient art of weaving.

I've never been the same.

Date: September 4, 2011 21:01

whiskey
Naturalust, Yep, she became my wife, and now 47 years later I wish I still had my single spinner Ford Custom(actually it was a '49 Custom)

Thats me,thats her and that is my beloved Ford circa late 64.

Wow, love thoe pictures! Thanks for sharing, I wasn't even a gleam in my pop's eye in '64 but you guys in that era defined cool for generations to come. James Dean (and the early Stones) had nothing on you brother! peace.

Date: September 4, 2011 21:10

Green Lady
It's 1964, and I'm walking on Weymouth beach one peaceful summer evening, listening to this being played from somewhere on the pier above me:

1964! Wow I thought my musical tastes were limited to songs starting in about 1967 or so. This tune just bumped my vision back 3 years! Was that song just way ahead of it's time or is there some mistake here. And who are the Zombies? This is a fine discovery today. Thanks.

Date: September 4, 2011 21:16

Rip This

Sweet Home Alabama -

In May 2006, National Review ranked the song #4 on its list of "50 greatest conservative rock songs.....just about enough to hate the song forever.

Turn it Up! Well Ripper you should have known to ignore any list that used "conservative" and "rock song" in the same sentence. peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-04 22:42 by Naturalust.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home