Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Summer Romance
Date: April 21, 2011 13:29

Bubble gum rock????

The energy captured here is nothing but unique on my book.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 21, 2011 13:53

crumbling_mice
Summer Romance, for me, was a classic example of going through the motions; musically it's basic, and that is doing it a favour. I don't like that kind of stuff, it's not what the Stones do best. If it was their attempt to emulate punk, they needn't have bothered cos nothing they ever did was punk as punk was in the UK. It might have fitted with some of the softer USA type punk but it just sounds like bubble gum rock to me.

Spot on right.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 23, 2011 02:51

I guess one man's coffee is one man's tea but this song is one of the best Stones songs ever, the whole 77-82 period is full of great music and inspiration, much because of their rejuvenated private lives and all the rest of it.
This tune is up there with Brown Sugar and Tumblin' Dice as a proper 1st class Rock N Roll tune, of which only The Stones can produce, and NO ONE else.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2011 05:54

MadMax
I guess one man's coffee is one man's tea but this song is one of the best Stones songs ever, the whole 77-82 period is full of great music and inspiration, much because of their rejuvenated private lives and all the rest of it.
This tune is up there with Brown Sugar and Tumblin' Dice as a proper 1st class Rock N Roll tune, of which only The Stones can produce, and NO ONE else.

OK, I actually don't hate the song, but to put it up there with BS and TD, AND to say ONLY the stones could produce Summer Romance...well, I just think you're quite wrong!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 23, 2011 06:45

I kind'a like what I just heard.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 20:49

I would not necessarily take offense to my use of the word "trash." I do not mean that in a completely pejorative way. There is plenty of trash art that I enjoy; and plenty of more sophisticated art that leaves me cold. One of my favorite songs is "I Want To Be Sedated." Would anyone complain if I called that a trash rock song?

My problem with Summer Romance (and similiar songs from that period) by this band is that they are disingenuous. It is the band playing to audience. I also take it as an admission of the skill set of its guitarists. THIS is what they are most capable of playing.

I read somewhere that The Patti Smith Band opened for the band in '78. I believe that is true, but I have never read or heard anything about that event. But if you want to hear the music of the time I can easily imagine the PSG showing up the Stones at least in terms of authenticity.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 23, 2011 23:26

weak track IMO.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 24, 2011 00:01

StonesTod
pmk251
You can add this song to the list of trash rock songs the band did from that era. A little bit of that sound goes a long way with me. Even if I enjoy some of it, I feel like I'm slumming. It's a cheap way to convey energy and excitement.

i'll drink to that

Am I the only one who bursted out laughing of this post? Probably!
I think you're throwing pearls at swine, Tod !

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 24, 2011 00:39

Each to their own and I wouldn't criticise anyone for liking anything, but since it's been put up here and comments invited, it's fair game. I'm amazed that some people actually think Summer Romance could be thought of as on par with Brown Sugar and Tumbling Dice...musically it's way short of these two and lyrically it's little more than a joke. I think the word Pmk 251 used - disengenious is a prefect description. I thought they were fooling no one, but seemingly they fooled a few with this throw away nonsense!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 24, 2011 00:42

disengenious? you mean disingenuous? if so - not sure how a song that's clearly intended as a silly rock'n'roll song can be disingenuous. seems perfectly ingenuous...or something.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home