Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: OT: Top 5 Underrated Guitarists
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 19, 2011 18:23

I will second Michael Bloomfield because I love his playing. What a versatile player whose solos always said something! I think Dylan said he was the best guitar player he worked with. He gets mentioned as a guitar legend, but still seems generally under appreciated.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 19, 2011 18:28

pmk251
I will second Michael Bloomfield because I love his playing. What a versatile player whose solos always said something! I think Dylan said he was the best guitar player he worked with. He gets mentioned as a guitar legend, but still seems generally under appreciated.

was never a player in a big rock act. he peaked early, too. was arguably the best in the biz with butterfield circa 1966 and clearly an inspiration and forerunner for jimi. liked his work with kooper and with the flag, but it was downhill after that....

having said that, i always cite michael as one of my top 5 fave geetarists....when he was on, there was nobody who could touch him....

Posted by: bjornone ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:23

Jerry Garcia is the best rock guitarist ever, period.

Still, there is a strong idea today that you either have to be (1) a heavy metal guitarist (2) have a huge ego or (3) play incredible fast to be counted as a top guitarist (preferably all of them). That is why he is mostly out of the discussion. Garcia had a unique sense for communicating through his guitar and touched on every kind of human feeling. Still, he was the opposite of the narcissistic guitar heroes you find on the magazine covers. (But yes, he could also play REALLY fast if that is what is counted!)

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:23

Some my favorites:

Charlie Baty - Mentioned once in this thread but he deserves another mention. Amazing fluid playing and improv skills

Mike Campbell

Little Milton

Steve Cropper - Didn't see anyone mention him!

Robert Cray - Is he underrated as a player?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:47

Kevin Ayers
Rory Gallagher
Alvin Lee
Patterson Hood
Thom Yorke

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 19, 2011 21:41

I think alot of people are missing the point. Alot of guitarist mentioned here are very, very famous and have received much acclaim and notoriety. Many, many articles have been written on them and many have appeared on the covers of countless guitar mags. That's not being underated that's being overated. I would say that at least half of the guitarist mentioned here have been on some top 10 list more than once. Again that's not being underated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 21:42 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: April 19, 2011 21:45

More Hot Rocks
I think alot of people are missing the point. Alot of guitarist mentioned here are very, very famous and have received much acclaim and notoriety. Many, many articles have been written on them and many have appeared on the covers of countless guitar mags. That's not being underated that's being overated. I would say that at least half of the guitarist mentioned here have been on some top 10 list more than once. Again that's not being underated.

what's the over-under on being overrated?

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 19, 2011 21:45

i am an underrated guitarist.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 19, 2011 21:47

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

what's the over-under on being overrated?

90 % subjectivity and 10 % fact.

Date: April 19, 2011 21:49

ineedadrink

your last album really wasn't up to snuff...i thought you noodled too much....

Date: April 19, 2011 22:02

StonesTod
ineedadrink

yeah, sorry. i assure you that i will never record in China ever again!

Date: April 19, 2011 22:20

ineedadrink
StonesTod
ineedadrink

well, that's where you were peking as a guitarist in the old days....

Date: April 19, 2011 22:44

StonesTod
ineedadrink
StonesTod
ineedadrink

well, that's where you were peking as a guitarist in the old days....
but it was definitely a great leap forward from my early bar band days, that's for sure.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 19, 2011 22:45

There's a great American singer-songwriter named Marshall Crenshaw that does have the respect of many critics for his pop craftmanship. But what a lot of people don't realize is that he's also his own lead guitarist, and a fantastic one at that - every solo he plays is like a song within a song. Very melodic and versatile.

Another fantastic player is the Cars' Elliot Easton. His solos in that band were some of the most brilliant in popular music.

Lastly, and maybe most of you wouldn't call him underrated, but I feel that Robby Krieger from the Doors deserves a LOT more credit than he gets. He had an amazing feel for so many different styles, and always knew how to compliment a song perfectly.

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: April 19, 2011 22:46

bjornone

Still, there is a strong idea today that you either have to be (1) a heavy metal guitarist (2) have a huge ego or (3) play incredible fast to be counted as a top guitarist (preferably all of them). That is why he is mostly out of the discussion. Garcia had a unique sense for communicating through his guitar and touched on every kind of human feeling. Still, he was the opposite of the narcissistic guitar heroes you find on the magazine covers. (But yes, he could also play REALLY fast if that is what is counted!)

Jerry is one of my favorites too, but I would not classify him as a rock
guitarist - even though he was hidin' out in a rock and roll band ( which
the GD really aren't either ).

I love the Stones, but you could never do a '72 box set like what the GD are doing
with the Europe '72 release. The GD aren't to everyone's taste, too bad, but man
could they cover a lot of different bases throughout a tour, let alone during a
single performance.

Now Mick Taylor as a guest of Phil Lesh & Friends would be something...

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: April 19, 2011 23:02

mick taylor
toy caldwell-marshall tucker
brian robertson-thin lizzy
tommy bolin
robin trower

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 19, 2011 23:02

TropicalDisease75
Forgive me if this has been discussed before. Maybe defined less as underrated and more as under heard or not in the public consciousness like a Clapton, Page or Beck.

Here's my five:

1. Tommy Bolin: Played as the replacement to two great guitar players in Joe Walsh and Ritchie Blackmore, Bolin was a wildly talented player and songwriter. Favorite tunes include Comin' Home from Purple's "Come Taste The Band" Album and his entire "Private Eyes" album. Gone WAY too soon.

2. Robin Trower: Tone for days. Some would say a Hendrix clone but he produced a lot of rich and varied music over the years. Fav tunes include "Long Misty Day's", "Victims of the Fury" and many, many others.

3. Eddie Hazel: Small catalog but hugely influential funk rock guitarist who with one tune (Maggot Brain) set up a legacy that, had it been the only tune he ever played on, would have influenced a generation of guitar slingers. Thankfully, his solo album "Games, Dames and Guitar Thangs" is chock full of tasty licks and solo's.

4. Mick Taylor: The most consistent guitar player I've ever heard with the sweetest, most melodic tone ever achieved. The fact that he was left out of Rolling Stone's "Top 100 Guitar Players" stung me more than it should have. His playing is so smooth and his touch and feel is really, to my ears, unmatched in popular music. Fav tunes: All of em...but...if I had to choose one from the Stones it would be "Sway". My solo pick would be: "Spanish/A Minor". Jazz/Rock fusion heaven. Interesting how the Stones release their best tune in 30 years and suddenly sound like the Stones when he plays on "Plundered My Soul. I love Ronnie too, but I'm just saying.

5. Rory Gallagher: Super versatile and consistent. To me, he defines the Strat tone. Not just a guitar slinger, Rory could really write also. Love his "Irish Tour" live record and his "Tatoo" studio album. Sure would have been interesting if he joined the Stones in '74.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post and look forward to your opinions and criticisms.

TD75
Absolutely love Tommy Bolin. Glad to see him mentioned. Yes Private Eyes is a great album.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 20, 2011 00:14

I'm tempted to add Mick Ronson. Although Ronno was highly rated by some I don't think he ever got the respect he deserved.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 00:23

Mick Taylor

John McLaughlin

Larry Coryell

Bill Connors

Craig Ross

Date: April 20, 2011 00:34

You let a thread simmer long enough, and every name you your self have thought of at one point, will have been popsted by someone quicker than you.
Bill Nelson
Mick Ronson

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 20, 2011 01:23

Al Anderson, Steve Ferguson (both NRBQ)

Zally Yanofsky

Gene Cornish

Date: April 20, 2011 02:46

microvibe

mick taylor
toy caldwell-marshall tucker
brian robertson-thin lizzy
tommy bolin
robin trower

brian robertson just released a new solo album. he was also in motorhead

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 20, 2011 02:55

Roy Buchanan gets my vote.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: April 20, 2011 02:58

Mick Taylor

Johnny Marr

Mike Campbell

Malcom Young

Syd Barrett

Date: April 20, 2011 03:10

Palace Revolution 2000
You let a thread simmer long enough, and every name you your self have thought of at one point, will have been popsted by someone quicker than you.
Bill Nelson
Mick Ronson
Agree about Bill Nelson(mick ronson too.But he does get more attention.)

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 20, 2011 03:16

bjornone

Agreed!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 20, 2011 04:42

No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

The same can be said of Keith Richards. I think Garcia was a great guitarist too...too bad it was wasted on that crap hippie music.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: April 20, 2011 05:17

loog droog
Al Anderson, Steve Ferguson (both NRBQ)

Zally Yanofsky

Gene Cornish

Hear hear on all four!

Date: April 20, 2011 05:24

71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

The same can be said of Keith Richards. I think Garcia was a great guitarist too...too bad it was wasted on that crap hippie music.
Come on man. If your gonna post a stereotypical,prejudiced hippie comment.Can't you do better than that? I guess you can say it's too bad Keith's playing was wasted on drug fueled,ripped off blues songs.eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 05:42

MOst on this list get their props from certain circles. Frusciante for instance, he's on all those indie lists and one could argue that he's overrated by certain circles.
Whoever mentioned Keith Urban is right. His music, faux southern accent when he sings got on my nerves to no end, then I watched him play his tele and I was amazed and impressed. Of all the acts who performed on Fallon's Exile extravaganza, Urban was the best, most Stonesy.
However, I will say Mick Taylor is the ultimate underrated guitar player. He gets love from Stones fans, but his name is never on any big-time list.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home