Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: OT: Top 5 Underrated Guitarists
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 20, 2011 06:08

sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone
Jerry Garcia is the best rock guitarist ever, period.

Still, there is a strong idea today that you either have to be (1) a heavy metal guitarist (2) have a huge ego or (3) play incredible fast to be counted as a top guitarist (preferably all of them). That is why he is mostly out of the discussion. Garcia had a unique sense for communicating through his guitar and touched on every kind of human feeling. Still, he was the opposite of the narcissistic guitar heroes you find on the magazine covers. (But yes, he could also play REALLY fast if that is what is counted!)

Agreed!

The same can be said of Keith Richards. I think Garcia was a great guitarist too...too bad it was wasted on that crap hippie music.
Come on man. If your gonna post a stereotypical,prejudiced hippie comment.Can't you do better than that? I guess you can say it's too bad Keith's playing was wasted on drug fueled,ripped off blues songs.eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

This is a thread about "sacred cows" right? And the Grateful Dead is one. Their music is less than meets the eye, and their aura of hippie ethos is phony. This is my opinion. I think Garcia was a good musician. That band? The two drummers? Bob Weir? The keyboardists who changed with Spinal Tap drummer-like regularity? The chick hippie background singer? The throngs of tie-dyed worshippers? Not so much.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 20, 2011 06:10

Tele?

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 06:17

Derek Kelm

David Milner

Andrew Biegler

Neil Weller

Jon Schutz

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 20, 2011 06:47

71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Still, there is a strong idea today that you either have to be (1) a heavy metal guitarist (2) have a huge ego or (3) play incredible fast to be counted as a top guitarist (preferably all of them). That is why he is mostly out of the discussion. Garcia had a unique sense for communicating through his guitar and touched on every kind of human feeling. Still, he was the opposite of the narcissistic guitar heroes you find on the magazine covers. (But yes, he could also play REALLY fast if that is what is counted!)

Agreed!

The same can be said of Keith Richards. I think Garcia was a great guitarist too...too bad it was wasted on that crap hippie music.

Your opinion and a very uninformed one IMO!

Date: April 20, 2011 06:51

sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

Come on man. If your gonna post a stereotypical,prejudiced hippie comment.Can't you do better than that? I guess you can say it's too bad Keith's playing was wasted on drug fueled,ripped off blues songs.eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Agreed SCL a very stupid comment!

Date: April 20, 2011 06:55

71Tele
sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

This is a thread about "sacred cows" right? And the Grateful Dead is one. Their music is less than meets the eye, and their aura of hippie ethos is phony. This is my opinion. I think Garcia was a good musician. That band? The two drummers? Bob Weir? The keyboardists who changed with Spinal Tap drummer-like regularity? The chick hippie background singer? The throngs of tie-dyed worshippers? Not so much.

Obviously you missed the bus! Your loss. Perhaps if you had climbed aboard you would have a clue of what you speak!

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 07:51

I thought Tele's comment was pretty funny.

Date: April 20, 2011 07:59

No Expectations
sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

You can disagree with it, but it wasn't stupid. I am guilty of some hyperbole perhaps, but I do think the hippie ethos of The Dead is tiresome and cliche-ridden, as well as often hypocritical - but I never was a lover of the whole SF music thing anyway. For some of their followers, it's a need to fit in with a group, to belong. No harm in it. Everyone needs a hobby. I just think it's silly to hear grown men talk in worshipful tones about "Jerry" when in fact he turned out to be kind of a selfish junkie - miles apart from the whole "love and peace" image. Hey, people like the Dead, great. But my expression of my dislike for them is in no way stupid.

Date: April 20, 2011 08:14

71Tele
No Expectations
sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

You can disagree with it, but it wasn't stupid. I am guilty of some hyperbole perhaps, but I do think the hippie ethos of The Dead is tiresome and cliche-ridden, as well as often hypocritical - but I never was a lover of the whole SF music thing anyway. For some of their followers, it's a need to fit in with a group, to belong. No harm in it. Everyone needs a hobby. I just think it's silly to hear grown men talk in worshipful tones about "Jerry" when in fact he turned out to be kind of a selfish junkie - miles apart from the whole "love and peace" image. Hey, people like the Dead, great. But my expression of my dislike for them is in no way stupid.

Ok if you do not want to call it stupid lets just say it's ignorant and uninformed! You obviously were not there and have NO 1st hand knowledge of the scene or the man himself so to pass judgement IS stupid on your part. And to refer to it as a "hobby" only further reflects your lack of knowledge on the subject.

Date: April 20, 2011 08:20

No Expectations
71Tele
No Expectations
sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

Ok if you do not want to call it stupid lets just say it's ignorant and uninformed! You obviously were not there and have NO 1st hand knowledge of the scene or the man himself so to pass judgement IS stupid on your part. And to refer to it as a "hobby" only further reflects your lack of knowledge on the subject.

It's not ignorant either. I know a lot of Dead fans, and you don't have to have been there to know that the Great God Jerry preferred his heroin to anything else in later years. And the Dead were a hobby to a lot of people. I would almost say more of a cult than a hobby, though a fairly harmless one.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 20, 2011 08:27

71Tele
No Expectations
71Tele
No Expectations
sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

It's not ignorant either. I know a lot of Dead fans, and you don't have to have been there to know that the Great God Jerry preferred his heroin to anything else in later years. And the Dead were a hobby to a lot of people. I would almost say more of a cult than a hobby, though a fairly harmless one.

Top 5 Underrated Guitarists? confused smiley

Date: April 20, 2011 08:29

71Tele
No Expectations
71Tele
No Expectations
sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

So now you are judging a 30 year era by it's"later years". And yes you DID have to be there to have an informed opinion. You missed the bus...your loss my friend!

Date: April 20, 2011 09:04

No Expectations
71Tele
No Expectations
71Tele
No Expectations
sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
No Expectations
bjornone

Agreed!

So now you are judging a 30 year era by it's"later years". And yes you DID have to be there to have an informed opinion. You missed the bus...your loss my friend!

That is one bus I did not want to be on. And I hate the smell of patchouli.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: April 20, 2011 11:08

Ronnie Wood on this board for sure. winking smiley
George Harrison
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
John Fogerty

All very good guitarists who are mor renowned for their composer skills than their playing, but they are really really greit players.

Date: April 20, 2011 11:16

NedKelly
Ronnie Wood on this board for sure. winking smiley
George Harrison
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
John Fogerty

All very good guitarists who are mor renowned for their composer skills than their playing, but they are really really greit players.

Ron Wood has plenty of defenders on this board, you needn't worry.

I think your point is quite good about composers often not being appreciated for their guitar skills. Springsteen and Prince are two other guitarists I really like.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 20, 2011 12:47

My personal medley for the moment (there so many more examples out there)

John Fahey
Nicky Garatt (UK Subs)
Jan Ackermann
Link Wray
Otis Rush

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 20, 2011 15:04

How can John McLaughlin, Mick Taylor or Adrian Belew be underrated? They're among the most respected guitar players ever.

Date: April 20, 2011 15:21

Recently, there was this top 100-list which Taylor didn't make it in. That's pretty underrated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 15:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 20, 2011 16:54

leteyer
How can John McLaughlin, Mick Taylor or Adrian Belew be underrated? They're among the most respected guitar players ever.

People are missing the pont. I don't think they know what is meant by "underated'

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: April 20, 2011 17:02

Walter Lure
Charlie Sexton
Steve Albini
Alex Lifeson
Keith Levene

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 20, 2011 17:03

Yep, Mr Lure is underrated...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 20, 2011 17:14

71 Tele,

Not that I dissagree with you (I don't really have an opinion on this) but I am curiou sif you could enlarge on what you said about The Dead, why was the hippie thing hypocritical? Are you saying the aura was fake and they used it purely for marketing reasons?

And what is it you don't like about Bob Weir? You think he is terrible?

I must confess, I don't know much about the Dead because everytime I try to listen to them, it sounds so mediocre and boring I just can't get into it. So I am curious what Tele really thinks about them in more detail.

So guys, please don't turn it into more arguing, you already defended the Dead and told Tele he was stupid.

By the way, next time No expectations has an opinion on ANYTHING I'm going to ask him if he was there, if he wasn't there, he must be stupid to think he could have an opinion.

Posted by: bjornone ()
Date: April 20, 2011 17:33

video: [youtu.be]

Boring?

Date: April 20, 2011 17:36

KeefintheNight82
71 Tele,

Not that I dissagree with you (I don't really have an opinion on this) but I am curiou sif you could enlarge on what you said about The Dead, why was the hippie thing hypocritical? Are you saying the aura was fake and they used it purely for marketing reasons?

I must confess, I don't know much about the Dead because everytime I try to listen to them, it sounds so mediocre and boring I just can't get into it. So I am curious what Tele really thinks about them in more detail.

So guys, please don't turn it into more arguing, you already defended the Dead and told Tele he was stupid.

By the way, next time No expectations has an opinion on ANYTHING I'm going to ask him if he was there, if he wasn't there, he must be stupid to think he could have an opinion.

I covered it on the "sacred cows" thread. My main point is that a mythology and even lifestyle were created around the Dead and Garcia in particular. Garcia as an actual person could be quite cutting and uncaring to the people around him, and his becoming a junkie made him behave as any other junkie does: selfishly. He allowed his love of heroin to nearly destroy his music and ultimately it did destroy his life. My problem is not with him (I don't expect people to be saints and heroes who are merely talented musicians), it is with the denial that many Dead fans have over how this guy really was. Reminds me of all the grannies who absolutely refused to believe Elvis was a pill-popping drug addict. They had their image and nobody was going to take it away from them.

As to their music, it's just not to my taste. Bob Weir? I do not understand what people see in this guy. Apparently the rest of the group was close to kicking him out more than once, so maybe ask them.

Sorry that I got into a Dead exchange on two threads. returning to the point of this one, Garcia was a great guitarist, but underrated? How? He seems very well rated.

Enough said from me on the subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 17:38 by 71Tele.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 20, 2011 17:45

71Tele
My problem is not with him (I don't expect people to be saints and heroes who are merely talented musicians), it is with the denial that many Dead fans have over how this guy really was.

i have a feeling i know alot more dead/jerry fans than you do, and i've never run across one like what you just described. i think your belief on the subject is the actual myth.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:46

StonesTod
71Tele
My problem is not with him (I don't expect people to be saints and heroes who are merely talented musicians), it is with the denial that many Dead fans have over how this guy really was.

i have a feeling i know alot more dead/jerry fans than you do, and i've never run across one like what you just described. i think your belief on the subject is the actual myth.

OK. Check and mate.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:49

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

OK. Check and mate.

it's about the music, tele - always has been. and the proof of that is that, 16 years after jerry's passing, the legacy continues through the music. the dead tours, the furthur tours - i go to some of these and nobody's talking about jerry, they are celebrating the music that he and his bandmates produced. nobody's talking about this so-called mystical character or his personal aura.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:53

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

OK. Check and mate.

it's about the music, tele - always has been. and the proof of that is that, 16 years after jerry's passing, the legacy continues through the music. the dead tours, the furthur tours - i go to some of these and nobody's talking about jerry, they are celebrating the music that he and his bandmates produced. nobody's talking about this so-called mystical character or his personal aura.

As I attempted to do, I withdraw from the argument. "You like this music and I don't" is never an argument that can be lost or won, and it's silly to try. But back to the thread, Garcia was not an underrated guitarist, given how high he was rated.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:55

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

OK. Check and mate.

As I attempted to do, I withdraw from the argument. "You like this music and I don't" is never an argument that can be lost or won, and it's silly to try. But back to the thread, Garcia was not an underrated guitarist, given how high he was rated.

touche

Date: April 20, 2011 18:04

71Tele
KeefintheNight82
71 Tele,

I covered it on the "sacred cows" thread. My main point is that a mythology and even lifestyle were created around the Dead and Garcia in particular. Garcia as an actual person could be quite cutting and uncaring to the people around him, and his becoming a junkie made him behave as any other junkie does: selfishly. He allowed his love of heroin to nearly destroy his music and ultimately it did destroy his life. My problem is not with him (I don't expect people to be saints and heroes who are merely talented musicians), it is with the denial that many Dead fans have over how this guy really was. Reminds me of all the grannies who absolutely refused to believe Elvis was a pill-popping drug addict. They had their image and nobody was going to take it away from them.

As to their music, it's just not to my taste. Bob Weir? I do not understand what people see in this guy. Apparently the rest of the group was close to kicking him out more than once, so maybe ask them.

Sorry that I got into a Dead exchange on two threads. returning to the point of this one, Garcia was a great guitarist, but underrated? How? He seems very well rated.

Enough said from me on the subject.

Ok I understand you now. I have a grandmother who is EXACTLY like you describe about Elvis. She still argues that Elvis didn't know what he was taking and only took it because the doctor gave it to him!

Her twisting of him is incredible. She can't see the raging dopehead that overdosed at all.

She also completely believes that he waited until Priscilla was 'of age' before they slept together. When in fact he moved her in to his house in secret when she was what 14-15? And somehow Jerry Lee Lewis was demonized for a very similar thing.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home