Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Dylan's next Bootleg Series Announced
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 18:06

Baffling, but also interesting. The new Dylan bootleg series release has been announced:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT: Dylan's next Bootleg Series Announced
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 16, 2013 18:29

that bootleg stuff is pretty strong.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 16, 2013 18:45

"Sets for Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde will eventually come out. When fans hear the Blonde on Blonde set, they'll realize that the real hero of the sessions was pianist Paul Griffin. . . There will also be a Basement Tapes box one day. We're trying to get the best sources on all the Basement Tapes. That'll happen one day, absolutely."

That's what i want to hear as well as a multi-disc 1966 world tour set featuring everything left in the vaults or on film soundtrack tapes. The earlier No Direction Home set and royal albert hall set is not enough. That's got to be one of the best tours by anyone ever. Fancy playing some of the most brilliant songs of the era with a shit hot band and getting booed,slow hand-clapped and derided as Judas while delivering such fine performances.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 16, 2013 18:55

Wow, wow and more wow. I can't wait. And to know that Blood On The Tracks, Blonde On Blonde and The Basement Tapes material is coming is simply too much. I'm gonna go out to have a beer and celebrate now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-16 22:46 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 16, 2013 19:02

I hope someday they'll consider the Christian Era shows for official release.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 19:05

JimmyTheSaint

10 Hail Marys and we'll forgive you for that.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 16, 2013 19:09

Lol. I knew that wouldn't be a popular opinion, but his playing in that era was very focused and fervent. I have a bootleg DVD of Massey Hall, which is incredible. Obviously a major letdown for the audiences on that tour having to hear all new material and considering the subject. But in retrospect, it certainly is a fascinating chapter in his career.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 16, 2013 19:33

what's this shit?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 16, 2013 19:39

Good grief.....this was known 1 year ago; I was just waiting to say Good grief....
Hey Bob: get over to 1978 the next time!

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 16, 2013 19:42

Cool, wish the stones would reissue the back catalog as well as Dylan ..... No overdubs

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 16, 2013 20:04

Looked at the track listing, and we still miss someone: the sessions with Johnny Cash were recorded in the same time-frame.

On the Amnesty Dylan compilation, there's an overdubbed version of One Too Many Mornings by Cash and Dylan, with the Avett Brothers, yet Sony cannot issue the non-overdubbed version on this set ? I wonder why.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 16, 2013 21:01

Greatest announcement since 'She shot me down' by Frank Sinatra...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 16, 2013 22:31

I already have two copies of the 1969 Isle of Wight show on vinyl.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 22:52

Looks like a great set. I am especially happy about the New Morning stuff. And yes, I too am very anxious to get the Blood on the Tracks, Blond on Blond,and the Basement Tapes stuff. And come on 78! No mention of that yet.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 16, 2013 23:37

Can't wait, especially to hear a better mix of the Isle Of Wight show and the George Harrison session (first I have heard that they were waiting for ELVIS to show up!). CBS first hinted at a Blood On The Trdacks release when Biograph came out. We're still waiting. But if this and Blone On Blonde see the light of day, I will be in heaven.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 16, 2013 23:57

whitem8
Baffling, but also interesting. (quote]

Pretty much sums up Dylan. I have really enjoyed these Bootleg series. The Stones can't really do anything comparable because they were never about different arrangements and things. I think they got a basic idea and then honed it until hard.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 17, 2013 00:34

Date: July 17, 2013 00:37

There will be a 3-LP set too.

And a fourth CD with a remasterd version of Self Portrait.

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 17, 2013 01:39

GOO
Cool, wish the stones would reissue the back catalog as well as Dylan ..... No overdubs

In a parallel universe, in another age, the Stones vaults gets the proper treatment...

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: July 17, 2013 09:40

I can't wait to hear this as well as the Isle Of Wight 1969 with The Band in high quality. Something to look forward to!

Date: July 17, 2013 09:43

sanQ
I can't wait to hear this as well as the Isle Of Wight 1969 with The Band in high quality. Something to look forward to!

you have to send $100+ to get the isle of wight concert

Date: August 7, 2013 22:30

"Pretty Saro" from Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 : Another Self Portrait (1969-1971)

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 7, 2013 22:47

Interesting article from one critic, entitled, "The Laboratory of the Cutting Room Floor: Anticipating Bob Dylan's Another Self Portrait."

Self Portrait suffers from the sense that Dylan is playing the songs to himself rather than to the listener.

But the samples I’ve heard on Another Self Portrait, from Eric Anderson’s “Thirsty Boots” and Tom Paxton’s “Annie’s Gonna Sing Her Song,” actually reach out to an audience. You hear the threads of what not only came to define the musical territory Dylan had already been mining to that point, but also what would later become the Bob Dylan Theme Time Radio Hour on satellite radio. On that program Dylan, as the host, took us on musical journeys through the history of American music – blues, jazz, show-tunes, rock and folk – using a theme like ‘the weather’ as the clothes line on which he hung the songs. On Another Self Portrait, he also extends to his listeners the country sound he was immersed in with his previous album, Nashville Skyline, by reminding us (as he had on the infamous The Basement Tapes) that his music was not narrowed by the social protests of the topical song. In his mind, the American songbook is an evolving and expanding catalogue tracing a map of the nation’s struggles and triumphs.

Another Self Portrait could very well be the album that Self Portrait wasn’t. It may compare to how Good As I Been to You (1992) and World Gone Wrong (1993) set Dylan up for his series of records (Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft) that brought his voice back to its authentic sound. In those two early Nineties records, Dylan revisited the songs of his youth, earlier versions of the America that would help him come to terms with the country he was living in now. He then set forth to mine his own path with those tracks (“World Gone Wrong,” “Black Jack Davey”) as skeleton keys for his own (“Not Dark Yet,” “High Water (for Charley Patton)”). But we already know that the history that followed those sessions led into the eventual aimlessness that Good As I Been to You got him out of. The only authentic thing about Self Portrait was its portrait of an artist in hiding. What Another Self Portrait might just reveal is more of what Dylan was actually hiding from.

Full article:
[www.criticsatlarge.ca]

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 8, 2013 02:22

kowalski
"Pretty Saro" from Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 : Another Self Portrait (1969-1971)

I like it! If these songs are void of the weird production that marred Self Portrait this could be a surprisingly good release. Looking forward to giving this a spin!

Ross

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 8, 2013 07:46

I'm nowhere close to having explored all of Dylans catalog, so Self Portrait wasn't exactly next in line. There are whole eras I've yet to get around to. I've heard about it, though. Should be interesting. I'll get this one first.

Date: August 8, 2013 08:36

ash
"Sets for Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde will eventually come out. When fans hear the Blonde on Blonde set, they'll realize that the real hero of the sessions was pianist Paul Griffin. . . There will also be a Basement Tapes box one day. We're trying to get the best sources on all the Basement Tapes. That'll happen one day, absolutely."

That's what i want to hear as well as a multi-disc 1966 world tour set featuring everything left in the vaults or on film soundtrack tapes. The earlier No Direction Home set and royal albert hall set is not enough. That's got to be one of the best tours by anyone ever. Fancy playing some of the most brilliant songs of the era with a shit hot band and getting booed,slow hand-clapped and derided as Judas while delivering such fine performances.

It's surely amazing that so much not circulated songs finaly will see the light....is it really true that there could be the same case with studio-songs recorded as outtakes from Blonde on blonde...????

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2013 08:39

Oh no if it ain't Jude Quinn......

ROCKMAN

Date: August 8, 2013 08:51

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 8, 2013 12:52

Always thought the Blood on the Tracks outtakes bootleg was far superior to the official release, so really looking forward to this. About time the Stones opened up the vaults rather than the miserly trickle we are being fed.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 14, 2013 06:30

JimmyTheSaint

I agree wholeheartedly. Lots of unreleased songs from that era. Hopefully a dvd of Massey Hall as well. There's an album in the vaults titled SOLID ROCK that was supposed to have preceded SAVED.

But back to this release, here's the demo of "Wigwam" released on 7" on Record Store Day:

[www.mp3ye.eu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-14 06:33 by Glam Descendant.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home