Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Dylan's next Bootleg Series Announced
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 14, 2013 07:42

MILKYWAY
I already have two copies of the 1969 Isle of Wight show on vinyl.

Can I have one?

Date: August 14, 2013 07:44

JimmyTheSaint
Lol. I knew that wouldn't be a popular opinion, but his playing in that era was very focused and fervent. I have a bootleg DVD of Massey Hall, which is incredible. Obviously a major letdown for the audiences on that tour having to hear all new material and considering the subject. But in retrospect, it certainly is a fascinating chapter in his career.

Some of those shows were amazing. I was at one of the Warfield ones in SF, and later at one in Phoenix where Bob got very confrontational with the totally clueless audience and had the house lights turned on for half the show. It was tense.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 14, 2013 07:56

"If you want rock 'n' roll, you go down and rock 'n' roll. You can go and see KISS and you can rock 'n' roll all the way down to the pit!" -- Dylan, Tempe 1979

Good times!

Date: August 14, 2013 08:04

People argue about Bob Dylan’s best period. Some think it’s the canonical early-electric stretch from “Bringing It All Back Home,” from 1965, to “Blonde on Blonde,” which was released a year later, while others point to “Blood on the Tracks” (1975). There’s even a pocket of support for his most recent recordings. But there’s consensus about his worst period: “Self Portrait,” the double album from 1970 that appeared after the twin pillars of “John Wesley Harding” (my personal choice for best album, if only because of “I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine”) and the convincing country move “Nashville Skyline.” Complete with a tossed-off Dylan painting for cover art, “Self Portrait” bewildered and angered the faithful. The opening line of Greil Marcus’s Rolling Stone review has become as famous as the record itself: “What is this shit?”

In retrospect, it is clear that outrage was part of a project—a poorly executed one, perhaps, but a project nonetheless. Dylan wanted to undo his own sixties myth, and he retreated after his (possibly trumped-up) motorcycle accident, in 1966. “John Wesley Harding” and “Nashville Skyline” were moves toward simplicity, and “Self Portrait” was what happened after the stripping down: a tentative rebuilding. The album included a number of covers, the first Dylan record to do so since his début, almost a decade before, and the original songs, plainspoken, with a Western feel, were the opposite of his urban-amphetamine epics. The material was sung, for the most part, with the deeper, more rounded vocals of “Nashville Skyline,” which were surprising at the time and are almost shocking now, given the bridge-troll croak that Dylan’s voice has become.

More than forty years after it nonplussed nearly everyone, “Self Portrait” has returned to us, of a fashion, as “Another Self Portrait,” the tenth volume of the ongoing vault-clearing venture known as the Bootleg Series. “Another Self Portrait,” complete with another Dylan painting as cover art and new, more measured liner notes from Marcus, is available in a deluxe four-disk edition that includes the full 1969 Isle of Wight concert and a remastered version of the original “Self Portrait” album. But it’s the two-disk set, with outtakes and rarities, that’s the place to start.

There’s no denying the substandard quality of some of the material. Is there any real reason to hear Dylan bleating his way through the folk standard “Spanish Is the Loving Tongue”? “Alberta” is simple to the point of self-annihilation, and the sketchy “Minstrel Boy” is chronologically out of place, a leftover from “The Basement Tapes,” from 1967. Because “Another Self Portrait” is a reissue, there’s also plenty of sonic surgery. For the most part, it involves stripping songs down to the bare trio performances of Dylan, David Bromberg, and Al Kooper. That leaves the stronger songs from the original record mostly intact. The murder ballad “In Search of Little Sadie” and the moonshining instructional “Copper Kettle” are here, both of them as worthy as they were the first time around. The latter is especially impressive, as Dylan picks his way through verses and then surges into the beautiful chorus: “We’ll just lay there by the juniper / While the moon is bright / Watch them jugs a-fillin’ / In the pale moonlight.”

Other songs hold up well, too. “All the Tired Horses” is still pretty great, as hypnotic koans go. “Days of ’49” is a colorful historical crime saga with a catchy melody and an unforgettable rogue’s gallery (“New York Jake, the butcher’s boy”). And there’s undeniable charm in the rollicking, country-flavored remakes of Dylan’s astringent early solo material (take “Only a Hobo,” which was recorded for “The Times They Are A-Changin’ ” but was not released until the first Bootleg Series set, in 1991). Strangely, “If Not for You” goes in the other direction—Dylan’s piano and wobbly vocals are done no favors by an unknown violinist.

When the “Another Self Portrait” mines folk sources, it both expands the original vision and extends its reach. Dylan’s version of the traditional English folk ballad “Pretty Saro” is excellent. Tom Paxson’s “Annie’s Going to Sing Her Song” is revealed as a melodic cousin of “Well, Did You Evah?” “This Evening So Soon” is a version of Bob Gibson’s “Tell Old Bill,” whose title Dylan later borrowed for a new song on the soundtrack of “North Country,” and whose lyrics are both sprightly and sad: “They brought Bill home in a hurry-up wagon / His arms and legs and feet were draggin’.” While the original “Self Portrait” could seem chaotic and pandering—the versions of “The Boxer” and “Blue Moon,” may have proceeded from genuine enthusiasm, but they played like bad jokes—“Another Self Portrait” reframes the argument. It’s an illustration of Dylan’s vast command of the folk song, a laboratory for transforming some of his most familiar hits, and a testament to his powers as an interpretive singer.

“Self Portrait” sits at the center of this new release, but there are two other albums at its edges. The pair of songs from “Nashville Skyline”—“I Threw It All Away” and “Country Pie”—aren’t significantly different from the released versions. And, toward the end, the boxed set phases into material from “New Morning,” which is significantly easier to defend. “Went to See the Gypsy,” which may be about a visit to Jimi Hendrix or Elvis Presley or no one, remains wonderfully mysterious. The previously unreleased, oft-bootlegged “Working on a Guru” is a fun if inessential collaboration between Dylan and George Harrison, with support from Charlie Daniels and Russ Kunkel. Only “Sign on the Window,” already disingenuously artless (“Build me a cabin in Utah, / Marry me a wife, catch rainbow trout, / Have a bunch of kids who call me “Pa,” / That must be what it’s all about”), is rendered almost unlistenable by orchestral overdubs.

“Time Passes Slowly” is, for me, the hidden classic, one of the most compact and satisfying Dylan compositions of the period. On “New Morning,” it has a block-chord arrangement that lifts it into a kind of rural gospel. Here there are two surprising takes: an acoustic guitar-based version with la-la-la backing vocals and a full-band rendition that sounds, for the first twenty seconds, like The Beatles’ “Dig a Pony.” The second “Time Passes Slowly” almost ends “Another Self Portrait.” The only song after it, ironically, is a piano demo of “When I Paint My Masterpiece.” Neither the original “Self Portrait” nor this supplementary reconstitution are anything close to a masterpiece, of course, but both are worth hanging in the museum.

Read more: [www.newyorker.com]

Date: August 14, 2013 08:28

Glam Descendant
"If you want rock 'n' roll, you go down and rock 'n' roll. You can go and see KISS and you can rock 'n' roll all the way down to the pit!" -- Dylan, Tempe 1979

Good times!

That's the one, Glam!

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: August 14, 2013 18:04

I have heard an interesting story/rumor, several different times over the years, which is that supposedly Neil Young is the one who actually owns the actual Basement Tapes themselves, which is why they haven't been re-released or expanded.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 14, 2013 18:59

Turning To Gold
I have heard an interesting story/rumor, several different times over the years, which is that supposedly Neil Young is the one who actually owns the actual Basement Tapes themselves, which is why they haven't been re-released or expanded.

i'd like to know more about that. did he buy them from Garth Hudson?

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: August 14, 2013 20:16

I don't care about Dylan one way or another. I really wish the Stones would release more bootlegs and stuff though. I loved those bootlegs they released last year. We need more, more more

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 14, 2013 20:31

MrMonte
I don't care about Dylan one way or another.

That is really important information.

Please check in anytime you see a subject that says "OT: Dylan.." and be sure to remind us of that.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 14, 2013 21:42

Turning To Gold

A story I heard was that the only reason they came out in '75 was because The Band was broke and they needed the money.

And that a lot of their material was done later, not at the actual "Basement Tapes" sessions, minus Dylan.

I don't know. That's just what I heard.

So perhaps a definitive Basement Tapes set would actually have less material?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 14, 2013 22:08

theres a lot of that music, Levon Helm was not there for a lot of it, then he rejoined during those sessions, that Garth Hudson was recording

most if not all has circulated..
I've got basement tapes on about 5 cd's..hilarious, definitely odd tracks

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 14, 2013 22:14

If you what to find out something about the basement tapes you should read Greil Marcus' classical book on it: The Old, Weird America: The World of Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes. One of the best book about Bob Dylan and praised by the maestro himself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-14 22:15 by slewan.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 18, 2013 22:23

A nice but short (11 min) documentary by Columbia Records about this next release:

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 18, 2013 22:51

loog droog
Turning To Gold

A story I heard was that the only reason they came out in '75 was because The Band was broke and they needed the money.

And that a lot of their material was done later, not at the actual "Basement Tapes" sessions, minus Dylan.

I don't know. That's just what I heard.

So perhaps a definitive Basement Tapes set would actually have less material?

Correct on the Band material being recorded after the Basement Tapes session (over a period of several years in fact) As was much of the drumming on the Dylan songs, as Levon Helm wasnt present for the Basement Tapes' recordings. Its a great album but as an accurate historical document its as flawed as the Stones' Some Girls and Exile releases.

There are probably around 90-100 bonafide Basement Tapes recordings in circulation that we know of in varying degrees of quality, so a multi-disc official release of the material that WAS recorded at Big Pink in 1967 is a must.

Its been confirmed that there are plans to eventually release 'Bootleg Series' documents of the Basemment Tapes, Blood On the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde sessions in the future, to name but three. The Blood on The Tracks one will probably be next as a Record Store vinyl release of an outtake of (I think)'Meet me in the Morning' last year came with the teaser that it was from the upcoming 'Bootleg Series Vol. 11' - even though Vol. 10 (the 'Another Self Portrait' release) hadn't even been confirmed by this stage.

Date: August 19, 2013 00:00

Neil Young owned the best tape that could be found of the song "I'm Not There", when it was being tracked down for inclusion on the soundtrack of the movie I'M NOT THERE. I don't know if that means he owns all of the Tapes, or even the original, but he did have that particular one stashed away for some unexplained reason.

Date: August 19, 2013 07:40

A 46-minute preview of the next Bootleg Series:

[www.npr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-19 08:46 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 19, 2013 14:28

Everything sunged by Dylan before 1999 is Gold worth....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 19, 2013 15:00

Dylan's "Bootleg", archive series are equally enigmatic as anything else that Dylan puts out.

I stated "archive" as I wonder what's going to happen if, and when, the Blood On The Tracks sessions are issued ? If we go as far back as 1985's Biograph, we find an alternate "You're A Big Girl Now", and the early version of Meet Me In The Morning, i.e. Call Letter Blues, and the unissued Up To Me.

In 1991, we get a series of alternate versions of Blood On The Tracks recordings on Bootleg Series Vols 1 - 3, and then an alternate Shelter From The Storm crops up on the Jerry MacGuire soundtrack. So, what, therefore, is going to happen with Series 11 ?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 19, 2013 15:11

tomcasagranda
Dylan's "Bootleg", archive series are equally enigmatic as anything else that Dylan puts out.

I stated "archive" as I wonder what's going to happen if, and when, the Blood On The Tracks sessions are issued ? If we go as far back as 1985's Biograph, we find an alternate "You're A Big Girl Now", and the early version of Meet Me In The Morning, i.e. Call Letter Blues, and the unissued Up To Me.

In 1991, we get a series of alternate versions of Blood On The Tracks recordings on Bootleg Series Vols 1 - 3, and then an alternate Shelter From The Storm crops up on the Jerry MacGuire soundtrack. So, what, therefore, is going to happen with Series 11 ?

I'm badly waiting for extra's from 'Together through Life' to become Bootleg 11...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 20, 2013 16:45

Cristiano Radtke
A 46-minute preview of the next Bootleg Series:

[www.npr.org]

I can't stop listening to this. Lovely! Can't wait for the rest of it, particularly the Isle of Wight set with The Band. The Bootleg Series is an absolute treasure!

Ross

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 20, 2013 16:50

Come On
Everything sunged by Dylan before 1999 is Gold worth....

His 2000 and 2002 tours were stunning, just sayin' winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 20, 2013 17:01

"Dylan's "Bootleg", archive series are equally enigmatic as anything else that Dylan puts out"

100% true! So true that with vol. 10 I might get a "taste" of the set off the Net before I buy it because 1970 Dylan is not sth I was looking forward to...

Date: August 22, 2013 03:41

Rounder Records will release a definitive Woody Guthrie collection with 6 CDs, plus one 78 with Dylan's version of “VD City”, backed with Guthrie singing “The Biggest Thing That Man Has Ever Done”.

[www.rounder.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2013 03:50

Rounder Records will release a definitive Woody Guthrie collection with 6 CDs

....now ya talkin' .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 22, 2013 04:41

duke richardson
Turning To Gold

i'd like to know more about that. did he buy them from Garth Hudson?

I'll have to look it up again, but I think the story goes that Young heard one of the "safety reels" that Hudson had that was used during the mixing of the Basement Tapes record and got a good copy of it from engineer Rob Fraboni. Young doesn't own them.

Date: August 27, 2013 21:42

i got the 2 cd version today and have listened to disc 1 and just started disc 2. this is some good stuff.

Date: August 27, 2013 22:51

keefriffhard4life
i got the 2 cd version today and have listened to disc 1 and just started disc 2. this is some good stuff.

I heard the 2 CDs of unreleased material plus the live CD with the Band during the entire weekend, several times. To me, these new versions of the Self Portrait songs are much better than the original release.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 27, 2013 23:16

I've had this on shuffle with the Original Self Portrait, New Morning and Nashville Skyline for the past few days. Funny, it ALL makes sense now. The worst songs on SP don't sound so bad at all in this context.

This is wonderful music, well sung and played with sparse arrangements (on the newer releases) and a must-have for Dylan fans. None of this stuff has ever seen the light of day (except bad bootlegs of the Isle of Wight concert), and it is a revelation! Highly recommended, what a pleasant surprise!

Ross

Date: August 28, 2013 04:06

I was blown away by how beautiful "Pretty Soro" is. Bob's voice was magical during this era. Can't wait to get the whole set.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: August 28, 2013 04:10

Listening to the 3 lp set now. I'm impressed.

Also I picked up the 4 CD set for the live discs, I'll save that for the car.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1270
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home