Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

50 Years Ago Today
Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: June 5, 2014 14:13

Stones first USA show: Swing Auditorium San Bernardino, Ca.

Re: 50 Years Ago Today
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 5, 2014 22:40

And I wasn't there

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 5, 2014 23:02

My cousin was there...she sat up close and kept screaming at Bill, who finally gave her the "OK" sign. She also saw The Beatles later that summer at the Hollywood Bowl.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 5, 2014 23:04

boston2006
And I wasn't there

Neither was I...I was about 70 miles west of there doing whatever 9 year olds were doing at the timeeye rolling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 10, 2014 16:03

I didn't wanted to start a new thread, so I'll post it here, 'cause it's slightly related:

Huntsville woman remembers the weekend her husband ‘brought the Rolling Stones to America’
By JP McBride
Staff Reporter

HUNTSVILLE — Back in the early 1960s, the Rolling Stones had just formed as a band. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and the boys had not yet stepped foot in America.

The Stones were years away from becoming the “Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Band in the World.”

That all changed in 1964, as the Stones toured the United States for the first time, breathing life into American blues music during what is now known as the British Invasion.

Robert “Bob” Coffen, the late husband of Huntsville’s Donna Coffen, helped bring The Rolling Stones to Texas for the very first time when he booked them to play at the Teen Fair of Texas in San Antonio on June 6-7, 1964.

Their performance in San Antonio was their second performance ever in America.

Donna Coffen said last week that the Stones’ 1964 show in San Antonio was one of the proudest moments of her husband’s career as a promoter.

“He always said, ‘I brought the Rolling Stones to America’,” Donna Coffen said.

Although the Rolling Stones’ first performance in America took place in San Bernardino, California, their four performances in two days at the Joe Freeman Coliseum in San Antonio were the most in any city during their first American tour.

Robert Coffen booked them through a New York entertainment company called Shilling Theatrical Productions, which handled a lot of performers for trade shows.

With the growing popularity of rock ‘n’ roll, Robert Coffen was trying to add more bands that young kids could identify with to play at the Teen Fair of Texas and thought the Rolling Stones would be a good fit.

“There was a transition in music. The Beatles had come out in February and my husband had an eye and an ear for those kind of things, he really did. He saw that they (The Beatles) were so popular, so Shilling had mentioned they had this group (The Rolling Stones) that he could book,” Donna Coffen said.

Many other popular artists of the time played at the Teen Fair as well, including Bobby Rydell, Bobby Vee and George Jones.

Even with the talent that was brought in to perform at the fair, the show didn’t do as well as Robert Coffen hoped it would.

“In the end they didn’t pull the crowds. The crowds were not what they thought. They were very disappointed in the ticket sales,” Donna Coffen said.

Although the show might not have been a success, Robert Coffen got the chance to meet the Rolling Stones, something not everyone can say, and watch them play.

“He really liked them. Like I said, he had a real ear for music and musicians and that kind of thing,” Donna Coffen said.

[www.itemonline.com]

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: June 21, 2014 09:51

Twas way before my time...grinning smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 21, 2014 10:11

This may be OT but on Far Away Eyes, Mick was driving home early Sunday morning from Bakersfield. Was he returning from seeing Buck Owens?

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: June 21, 2014 10:22

shattered
This may be OT but on Far Away Eyes, Mick was driving home early Sunday morning from Bakersfield. Was he returning from seeing Buck Owens?
Likely! winking smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home