Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: is slowhand really God?
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:16

The greatest white blues guitarist ever IMO. He has still got it.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:40

SomeTorontoGirl
I'm not sure God would have been doing his towels at a laundry in LA earlier this month!

Ya never know, STG; the sacred into the secular, the secular into the sacred. (just don't forget to bring correct change!)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 28, 2011 09:19

Clapton God? What would then Hound Dog Taylor be? The Emperor of Portugallien?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: March 28, 2011 10:46

terraplane

Clapton remains one of my all-time fave guitarists, but I HATE this slow version of Crossroads I've seen him doing for the past couple of years. He's still a great player, but I think it's a prime example of how bland and middle of the road he is. No offense meant to you terraplane, if you, or anyone, like it, I respect that. It's just not my cup of tea though, and I think it's the kind of stuff people here are talking about not caring for.

It's important to note that Clapton didn't start it himself. Clapton is God began as graffiti around London, and from day one he's sworn he never cared for it. Clapton was labeled God because he was the first player in England to really knock people out on a massive scale. It's not his fault, all he did was play guitar. He never said he was the God of it.

Clapton may have initially kicked it up a notch to some degree, but his kind of advanced lead playing wasn't unheard of in America like it was in Britain, and the God tag was pretty much limited to England.

Date: March 28, 2011 12:20

Big Al
Damn, Clapton was so cool in 68 - what happened?

He lost his sound, imo. Nothing wrong with his skills today, but that tone he had in the late 60s was awesome.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 28, 2011 12:54

ab
Amsterdamned
crawdaddy
Big Al

Amsterdamned

He stayed equal more or less.
Others got better.

I was thinking more along the lines of his hair, the tasche, the clothes, attitude, etc... he became a complete dullard by the mid-70's
Eric was ''A dedicated follower of fashion'' in those days,but a grumpy old man wearing boring old clothes now (like the rest of us from the '60's) I guess. smoking smiley

In Jeff Beck we trust!

Amen, brother! Jeff Beck can play rings around Clapton, and has been able to do so for 45 years.

By Clapton's own admission, Jeff Beck can play anything he can, but he can't play a lot of things that Beck can. In particular, Clapton noted Beck's right hand technique. See their joint Rolling Stone interview from a couple years ago.

Just Joking.

Beck has sense of humor:

"In Jeff Beck we trust" was written on T-shirts for sale during his last gig I saw.

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 13:13

No, definitely not, anyway he can't be that majestic - he let Sheryl Crow get away.

Not a bad guitar player though, rumours that he could have joined the Stones - would never have fit in with the band, too flamboyant.

Cheers

Date: March 28, 2011 14:04

terraplane

I prefer the Rolling Stones "Stop breaking down" here.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 28, 2011 14:51

Amsterdamned
terraplane

Ok here you go ! winking smiley

I really find Clapton threads on IORR to be just unbelievable, I can't understand why there's so many posters here who dislike Clapton to such a big extent.
I'd understand if somebody finds some of his material to be "boring".....Clapton's official albums all comes to short compared to his live performance (especially late 80s and the 90s)
But to mock Clapton's ability as a guitar players.....I can't grasp that; but to each his own I guess

Date: March 28, 2011 15:01

Erik_Snow
Amsterdamned
terraplane

I really find Clapton threads on IORR to be just unbelievable, I can't understand why there's so many posters here who dislike Clapton to such a big extent.
I'd understand if somebody finds some of his material to be "boring".....Clapton's official albums all comes to short compared to his live performance (especially late 80s and the 90s)
But to mock Clapton's ability as a guitar players.....I can't grasp that; but to each his own I guess

I can only speak for myself. I use to love the stuff Clapton was doing with Cream, as well as some of his early solo stuff. Today, he's playing blues-ish pop music with a pop sound, imo. It just doesn't turn me on in any way.

I liked his playing with the Gibson in Hail, Hail Rock'n'roll though.

Date: March 28, 2011 15:06

DandelionPowderman
I can only speak for myself. I use to love the stuff Clapton was doing with Cream, as well as some of his early solo stuff. Today, he's playing blues-ish pop music with a pop sound, imo. It just doesn't turn me on in any way.

I liked his playing with the Gibson in Hail, Hail Rock'n'roll though.

I hardly ever listen to his official outputs after the 70s, myself, but concertrecordings (unofficial ones) from the later years are often played over here ! He's an incredible player

Date: March 28, 2011 16:00

Erik_Snow
Amsterdamned
terraplane

MMMMmmm... Call me old fashioned........smoking smiley

Date: March 28, 2011 16:11

Yeah me too, but point is that you're comparing 2010 Clapton with 1972 Rolling Stones. One might as well compare Derek And The Dominoes 1970 with ABB....you know

Rolling Stones 1994 is more reasonable to compare Clapton 2010 to. We all get older.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-28 16:12 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 28, 2011 16:26

i think clapton is at the 'crossroads' !

give me Stevie Ray Vaughan (although now dead) anytime!

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: March 28, 2011 18:23

ha Robert Cray is even more tedious than Clapton. In blues terms he's the whitest of 'em all!

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 28, 2011 19:12

If he's "God", I'm an Atheist...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 28, 2011 19:20

As I see it, if there is one guitarist that deserves the title, that was Jimi.

All the others followed.

C

Date: March 28, 2011 19:23

liddas
As I see it, if there is one guitarist that deserves the title, that was Jimi.

Indeed!

Surprising to see that some get their steam up when hearing that "Clapton is God" sentence......it's just a childish sentence - Clapton's a brilliant guitarists....he's not "the best guitarist in the world" or anything

I guess the same people who gets upset about the ClaptonIsGod sentence also get their knickers in a twist when hearing the "Beatles is bigger than Jesus" interview ?

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 28, 2011 19:27

it's easy to be critical of Clapton today when we're able to look at his entire career and judge him. but how many of us were actually in England in the sixties when the whole "Clapton is god" thing was going down? it's all about context, people!! one might say Gene Krupa isn't as good of a drummer compared to the drummers of the world today, but back in Krupa's time, he was the man.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 28, 2011 19:46

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 21:44

I like his WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS Beatles solo, but otherwise I nodded when reading the article below:

No Sir, I Don't Like Him
Eric Clapton polls low
By SAM MCPHEETERS for O.C. Weekly

Contemplating the career of Eric Clapton reminds me of Pauline Kael's famous line that she could not believe Richard Nixon had been reelected because she didn't know anybody who'd voted for him. I don't know anybody who's voted for Eric Clapton. In the course of an average American adulthood, I have literally never encountered one single person who has confessed to liking Clapton's music. His success floats far overhead as a kind of cultural question mark—how could one generation believe "Clapton Is God," while the next generation cares nothing for his works?

Clapton ranks fourth on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time (1. Jimi Hendrix, 2. Duane Allman, 3. B.B. King). I recently conducted my own, less formal, poll over the course of two parties and one punk show. UK slander laws being what they are, I should stress that my results are simply an unscientific sampling of two dozen Southern Californians in the 24-37 age range. Obviously, many Americans would not be so quick to dismiss a man's entire life work—the supergroups, the pioneering blues-rock and psychedelia, the gangbusters solo career, the geriatric Cream reunion, the Grammies, the wealth, the drug treatment center—as mere "Crapton." But my results were illuminating.

The complaint I heard most frequently and bitterly was with Clapton's music, specifically 1970's "Layla," more specifically the famous "Layla" opening "deedle-deedle-deedle-do." Over the course of my research, I was subject to multiple on-the-spot renditions of the riff that resonates 'round the globe in endless ringtones and absent-minded whistlings. Several people commented on the stunning lack of class hidden in the song's lyrics, an intense, groin-based paean for the wife of another man in which a direct insult is offered to the other man (who also happened to be a close friend, George Harrison, No. 21 on the Rolling Stone list).

The word "creepy" came up a lot. According to my survey, Clapton is "creepy" and "gross" and "looks like a peeping Tom." The British Sunday Times has claimed that Clapton once ordered a bandmate to let him sleep with the bandmate's girlfriend. The story (like Kael's quote) is probably counterfeit, but even as urban legend it serves the same purpose. The fellow seems to have a perception problem. Eight different people alluded to 1969's Blind Faith album cover—the one featuring a budding and topless pre-teen girl—as the work of piggish deviants.

Every person I asked also spoke of Clapton in the sharp tones of cultural vampirism, as a thief of the songs of Robert Johnson, Bob Marley and B.B. King. One young lady brushed off Clapton's four-decade career as "Blues Hammer bullshit." Three people recalled Clapton's 1976 appearance in Birmingham, where he allegedly decried immigration and warned the crowd that Britain was becoming "a black colony." To outsiders, it might seem slightly ironic that Clapton eventually chose the (majority) black (former) colony Antigua as his home, but this has been worked into his defense against further accusations of racism, the old "some-of-my-best-walled-off-neighbors-are-black" defense. (Of course, these days Clapton's racist remarks could easily be grandfathered into irony. Certainly there is some irony in the Honda Center listing "I Shot The Sheriff" as a "Clapton Classic." )

For his masterful guitar work, the British government has bestowed the title of Eric Patrick Clapton CBE. The CBE stands for Commander of the Order of the British Empire, a UK order of chivalry one rung below knighthood. There is no Sir Eric. Queen Elizabeth herself only vaguely knew of his works, asking if he had been playing guitar long before receiving the honor.

From [www.ocweekly.com]

Date: March 28, 2011 22:02

Title5Take1
According to my survey, Clapton is "creepy" and "gross" and "looks like a peeping Tom."
who was involved in this survey, a group of 14 year old girls?
"The British Sunday Times has claimed that Clapton once ordered a bandmate to let him sleep with the bandmate's girlfriend. The story (like Kael's quote) is probably counterfeit". so if it's most likely not true then why use it to support your claim of him being a creepy perv? @#$%& i hate journalists sometimes.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 28, 2011 22:34

Clapton is a very good blues guitarist, not necessarily better or worse than Mick Taylor, but and this is a very big but, Taylor couldn't write decent songs, look at the songs Clapton wrote and then compare with Taylor - see, no competition. The whole thing of him being God, is just silly and came from some graffiti in the 60's.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 28, 2011 22:39

crumbling_mice
Clapton is a very good blues guitarist, not necessarily better or worse than Mick Taylor, but and this is a very big but, Taylor couldn't write decent songs, look at the songs Clapton wrote and then compare with Taylor - see, no competition. The whole thing of him being God, is just silly and came from some graffiti in the 60's.

Chuck Berry wrote better songs than any of them. No competition. cool smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 28, 2011 22:53

The thing with Clapton is that he is hyped by some people, and that turns other people rather aggressive towards him. His technical abilities are limited but his playing is extremely effective. I heard him three times, in 1995 he was very good, during a concert I attended in 2001 he was so bored and played so little that I was annoyed. In 2009 I heard a concert by him that really rocked.His studioalbums feature impressive and horrible tracks.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 23:16

Title5Take1
I like his WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS Beatles solo, but otherwise I nodded when reading the article below:

No Sir, I Don't Like Him
Eric Clapton polls low
By SAM MCPHEETERS for O.C. Weekly

Contemplating the career of Eric Clapton reminds me of Pauline Kael's famous line that she could not believe Richard Nixon had been reelected because she didn't know anybody who'd voted for him. I don't know anybody who's voted for Eric Clapton. In the course of an average American adulthood, I have literally never encountered one single person who has confessed to liking Clapton's music. His success floats far overhead as a kind of cultural question mark—how could one generation believe "Clapton Is God," while the next generation cares nothing for his works?

Clapton ranks fourth on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time (1. Jimi Hendrix, 2. Duane Allman, 3. B.B. King). I recently conducted my own, less formal, poll over the course of two parties and one punk show. UK slander laws being what they are, I should stress that my results are simply an unscientific sampling of two dozen Southern Californians in the 24-37 age range. Obviously, many Americans would not be so quick to dismiss a man's entire life work—the supergroups, the pioneering blues-rock and psychedelia, the gangbusters solo career, the geriatric Cream reunion, the Grammies, the wealth, the drug treatment center—as mere "Crapton." But my results were illuminating.

The complaint I heard most frequently and bitterly was with Clapton's music, specifically 1970's "Layla," more specifically the famous "Layla" opening "deedle-deedle-deedle-do." Over the course of my research, I was subject to multiple on-the-spot renditions of the riff that resonates 'round the globe in endless ringtones and absent-minded whistlings. Several people commented on the stunning lack of class hidden in the song's lyrics, an intense, groin-based paean for the wife of another man in which a direct insult is offered to the other man (who also happened to be a close friend, George Harrison, No. 21 on the Rolling Stone list).

The word "creepy" came up a lot. According to my survey, Clapton is "creepy" and "gross" and "looks like a peeping Tom." The British Sunday Times has claimed that Clapton once ordered a bandmate to let him sleep with the bandmate's girlfriend. The story (like Kael's quote) is probably counterfeit, but even as urban legend it serves the same purpose. The fellow seems to have a perception problem. Eight different people alluded to 1969's Blind Faith album cover—the one featuring a budding and topless pre-teen girl—as the work of piggish deviants.

Every person I asked also spoke of Clapton in the sharp tones of cultural vampirism, as a thief of the songs of Robert Johnson, Bob Marley and B.B. King. One young lady brushed off Clapton's four-decade career as "Blues Hammer bullshit." Three people recalled Clapton's 1976 appearance in Birmingham, where he allegedly decried immigration and warned the crowd that Britain was becoming "a black colony." To outsiders, it might seem slightly ironic that Clapton eventually chose the (majority) black (former) colony Antigua as his home, but this has been worked into his defense against further accusations of racism, the old "some-of-my-best-walled-off-neighbors-are-black" defense. (Of course, these days Clapton's racist remarks could easily be grandfathered into irony. Certainly there is some irony in the Honda Center listing "I Shot The Sheriff" as a "Clapton Classic." )

For his masterful guitar work, the British government has bestowed the title of Eric Patrick Clapton CBE. The CBE stands for Commander of the Order of the British Empire, a UK order of chivalry one rung below knighthood. There is no Sir Eric. Queen Elizabeth herself only vaguely knew of his works, asking if he had been playing guitar long before receiving the honor.

From [www.ocweekly.com]

Childish, terrible article. Making assumptions (like that he lives I don't know because he uses it as a "defense" against acussasions of racism), the cover of Blind Faith?? (now we judge musicians because of some album cover?)...And thief? That's bullshit...he always gave credit where its due...Always.
The Beano album, the Cream live shows and groundbreaking studio albums, the Blind Faith LP, Layla, the Fillmore shows with Derek & The Dominos...the Rainbow Concert, the "Nothing But The Blues" Tour, his playing on the Concert For George, the Robert Johnson album. My poll says he's a fantastic musician.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2011 00:14

crumbling_mice

True about Taylor not writing songs, but Taylor is (was?) the more inventive and broader guitarist, imo.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 29, 2011 00:20

crumbling_mice

That's a good point. I see EC as a complete artist, songwriter, his first solo album is one of my all-time favorites from that era - and "Easy Now" has nothing to do with guitar prowess, just a fantastic song and that's what sets him apart from your standard "blues guitarist".. and I don't mind the "pop" sensibilities either. Im not a purist when it comes to blues - I prefer blues-influenced or blues-based to "blues"....I think SRV was a better blues guitarist than EC, but EC is a better songwriter.

Date: March 29, 2011 01:09

"clapton is god" is a good marketing ploy, much like "the greatest rock and roll band in the world".

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 29, 2011 01:25

ineedadrink
"clapton is god" is a good marketing ploy, much like "the greatest rock and roll band in the world".

A few years back I saw a poster advertising "the greatest rock and roll band in the world" in my home town. It was these guys...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1109
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home