Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: is slowhand really God?
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 30, 2011 16:22

stones78
pgarof
An interviwer asked Jimmy Hendrix " Whats it like being the best guitarist in the world" Jimmy replied "Ask Rory gallagher"

That story is false, the "original" story said Jimi answered "ask Phil Keaggy". From wikipedia:

Years later, a story would circulate widely and persistently concerning Keaggy and Hendrix. It has been said that during an episode of The Tonight Show, Johnny Carson asked Hendrix, "Who is the best guitarist in the world?" Hendrix is said to have answered, "Phil Keaggy." Another version of the story has Hendrix being asked, "Jimi, how does it feel to be the world's greatest guitar player?" To which Hendrix supposedly replied, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Phil Keaggy!" This account is sometimes attributed to a magazine interview in either Rolling Stone or Guitar Player. Occasionally the story has the setting for the question being the Dick Cavett Show. Other versions have the question being posed to Eric Clapton. A more recent variant has Eddie Van Halen being asked the question by either David Letterman or Barbara Walters. Keaggy has long insisted that such stories are completely unfounded, noting that "it was impossible that Jimi Hendrix could ever have heard me...We...recorded our first album at Electric Lady Studios two weeks after his unfortunate death, so I just can’t imagine how he could’ve heard me. I think it’s just a rumor that someone’s kept alive, and it must be titillating enough to keep an interest there...So I don’t think it was said…and that’s it for that!

So where do you think the rory Gallagher story came from?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:54

pgarof
stones78
pgarof
An interviwer asked Jimmy Hendrix " Whats it like being the best guitarist in the world" Jimmy replied "Ask Rory gallagher"

That story is false, the "original" story said Jimi answered "ask Phil Keaggy". From wikipedia:

Years later, a story would circulate widely and persistently concerning Keaggy and Hendrix. It has been said that during an episode of The Tonight Show, Johnny Carson asked Hendrix, "Who is the best guitarist in the world?" Hendrix is said to have answered, "Phil Keaggy." Another version of the story has Hendrix being asked, "Jimi, how does it feel to be the world's greatest guitar player?" To which Hendrix supposedly replied, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Phil Keaggy!" This account is sometimes attributed to a magazine interview in either Rolling Stone or Guitar Player. Occasionally the story has the setting for the question being the Dick Cavett Show. Other versions have the question being posed to Eric Clapton. A more recent variant has Eddie Van Halen being asked the question by either David Letterman or Barbara Walters. Keaggy has long insisted that such stories are completely unfounded, noting that "it was impossible that Jimi Hendrix could ever have heard me...We...recorded our first album at Electric Lady Studios two weeks after his unfortunate death, so I just can’t imagine how he could’ve heard me. I think it’s just a rumor that someone’s kept alive, and it must be titillating enough to keep an interest there...So I don’t think it was said…and that’s it for that!

I've heard that story with at least 10 different guitar players, either being asked the question or being named in the answer.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 30, 2011 21:47

Erik_Snow
Tumblin_Dice_07
but in a sense I actually respect what he does as much, and sometimes more, than what the Stones do today, as far as live shows. Clapton doesn't do the spectacle thing. Never has. Some people may find it boring but I find more substance in him coming out and playing than in the bombast and posing that is a Stones show. I wish the Stones would just come out and play the hell out of everything the way they did in their great golden age. By the way, I'm not saying Clapton is as good as he, or the Stones, were in their hey-day, just that he doesn't pose and choreograph his shows with pyrotechnics and such..

Completely agree to your post, Tumbling Dice - and I think the sentence(s) I quoted are the main reason there's so many "bashers" of Clapton on this board. It's like that if the artist is over 55......a certain percentage of the audience expect to see phoney posing and pyrotechnics - and get their kicks over that shit. I presume that's the reason there's so many Dylan bashers, as well.....when it comes to his live shows, not his records. I wish Rolling Stones never had gotten into that silly tivoli thingy.....they'd have had to work harder to make the show going if they didn't....instead of relying on "the amusement show" - and they were able (especially Keith and Ronnie) to do a lot better, at least in the 90s, than what they actually did.

I bet a big percentage of the audiences at Clapton concerts goes home disappointed because there was no "fake orgasm by the end of the show".
Hope they can get that longing for fake orgasms fullfilled elsewhere

Not only that. I remember Clapton played here about six years ago and I was unable to go as I'd other things on that night. I asked a couple of people who had paid about £60 for a ticket what it was like and the response was "he didnt say a word all night". They were actually annoyed about this to the point where it was of more significance than the peformance. You get the same whining with Dylan. I dont get this mentality at all - people pay money to see a major artist, and then seem to be under the impression that they have to be something akin to a stand up act as well as a musician. Maybe they just like being pandered to with insincere platitudes about how they're the greatest audience theyve played to for the entire tour or crap like that.

Date: March 30, 2011 21:49

pgarof
stones78
pgarof

Probably Rory's brother, if his claim that he 'turned down the Stones' is any yardstick.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 30, 2011 21:53

Gazza
pgarof
stones78
pgarof

Probably Rory's brother, if his claim that he 'turned down the Stones' is any yardstick.

He also said that Terry Kath was the greatest.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 30, 2011 21:54

Gazza
Erik_Snow
Tumblin_Dice_07
but in a sense I actually respect what he does as much, and sometimes more, than what the Stones do today, as far as live shows. Clapton doesn't do the spectacle thing. Never has. Some people may find it boring but I find more substance in him coming out and playing than in the bombast and posing that is a Stones show. I wish the Stones would just come out and play the hell out of everything the way they did in their great golden age. By the way, I'm not saying Clapton is as good as he, or the Stones, were in their hey-day, just that he doesn't pose and choreograph his shows with pyrotechnics and such..

Completely agree to your post, Tumbling Dice - and I think the sentence(s) I quoted are the main reason there's so many "bashers" of Clapton on this board. It's like that if the artist is over 55......a certain percentage of the audience expect to see phoney posing and pyrotechnics - and get their kicks over that shit. I presume that's the reason there's so many Dylan bashers, as well.....when it comes to his live shows, not his records. I wish Rolling Stones never had gotten into that silly tivoli thingy.....they'd have had to work harder to make the show going if they didn't....instead of relying on "the amusement show" - and they were able (especially Keith and Ronnie) to do a lot better, at least in the 90s, than what they actually did.

I bet a big percentage of the audiences at Clapton concerts goes home disappointed because there was no "fake orgasm by the end of the show".
Hope they can get that longing for fake orgasms fullfilled elsewhere

Not only that. I remember Clapton played here about six years ago and I was unable to go as I'd other things on that night. I asked a couple of people who had paid about £60 for a ticket what it was like and the response was "he didnt say a word all night". They were actually annoyed about this to the point where it was of more significance than the peformance. You get the same whining with Dylan. I dont get this mentality at all - people pay money to see a major artist, and then seem to be under the impression that they have to be something akin to a stand up act as well as a musician. Maybe they just like being pandered to with insincere platitudes about how they're the greatest audience theyve played to for the entire tour or crap like that.

hey! i went to a clapton concert where he did tell us (me, personally, as i recall) that we/I was the best audience of the tour. it was by far the best part of the show...i really don't remember if the music was any good.

Date: March 30, 2011 21:55

More Hot Rocks
Gazza
pgarof
stones78
pgarof

He also said that Terry Kath was the greatest.

i thought it was leslie west

Date: March 30, 2011 21:58

StonesTod
[hey! i went to a clapton concert where he did tell us (me, personally, as i recall) that we/I was the best audience of the tour. it was by far the best part of the show...i really don't remember if the music was any good.

I bet he says that to all the girls. Or something.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 30, 2011 22:03

I read that Hendrix himself was very, very impressed with the late Terry Kath's guitar skills.

Clapton and Winwood was a great show. They each made a few comments here and there: e.g., thank yous and smiles, not chatty, but acknowledging the crowd's enthusiasm.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 30, 2011 22:06

i'd rather a musician say nothing than stick to the script and say something he says at every show such as "it's great to be here, it's great to be anywhere".

Date: March 30, 2011 22:12

Gazza
StonesTod
[hey! i went to a clapton concert where he did tell us (me, personally, as i recall) that we/I was the best audience of the tour. it was by far the best part of the show...i really don't remember if the music was any good.

I bet he says that to all the girls. Or something.

i did look particularly hot that night....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-30 22:12 by StonesTod.

Date: March 30, 2011 22:13

ineedadrink
i'd rather a musician say nothing than stick to the script and say something he says at every show such as "it's great to be here, it's great to be anywhere".

yeah. wow - that would be really weak and embarrassing, wouldn't it???!!!

Date: March 30, 2011 22:14

hey - since we're discussing clapton and hendrix a bit together - ran into a bloke the other night who was able to answer the trivia question - let's see who can here without resorting to googling....

which band featured both hendrix and clapton playing together? handful of shows.

Date: March 30, 2011 22:30

new one on me. Hendrix DID join Cream onstage but I dont know if it was for a 'handful' of shows. Maybe Curtis Knight's band? Dont know to be honest.

Date: March 30, 2011 22:32

Gazza
new one on me. Hendrix DID join Cream onstage but I dont know if it was for a 'handful' of shows. Maybe Curtis Knight's band? Dont know to be honest.

it's a fairly little known fact. and it is a fact, based on convo i personally had with the guy who fronted the band. it's been discussed in a couple of books as well. i'll let the clock run a little longer....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 30, 2011 23:00

Rockman
is slowhand really God?

........ well I guess The Pointer Sisters would say YES!!!!!

that would be the Automatic response

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 31, 2011 00:26

Gazza

The exact same thing happened to me. Friend of mine saw Eric and said it was the most boring show he had ever seen. He said Clapton never said anything all night. The only time he spoke was to say "this is for my son" before playing "Tears in Heaven". He seemed to be judging the show more on Clapton's lack of chattiness than his playing. He didn't say anything about the music.

Date: March 31, 2011 00:37

alright, i'm outta here in a bit - the answer to the trivia question:

john hammond jr. - 5 shows at the gaslight in new york circa 1966....clapton and hendrix were his featured guitarists. no extant recordings.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 31, 2011 00:52

Hendrix and Clapton thought Buddy Guy was #1.

Date: March 31, 2011 02:34

Gazza
pgarof
stones78
pgarof

So do you not think that Rory did turn down the Stones? I heard that he went to the netherlands with the stones to record but had to fly off somewhere for a gig then never heard from them again.

Date: March 31, 2011 02:52

pgarof
So do you not think that Rory did turn down the Stones? I heard that he went to the netherlands with the stones to record but had to fly off somewhere for a gig then never heard from them again.

..which is not the same as him 'turning them down'.

He was never offered the job. Thats a fact.

He didnt record with them either. He auditioned, as did several other guitarists.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: March 31, 2011 11:20

To connect verbally and socially with the audience is to show it respect.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 31, 2011 11:33

Bärs
I completely agree.Even Jeff Beck says a few things to the audience these days and it is not repetitive stuff like Mick and Keith............. ''Are You Awlright''..............''It's good to be here..........It's good to be anywhere''.Some musicians/ artists don't say a lot for various reasons.Eric's is because he's a miserable git at times.Seen him walk off stage before the predictable encore at RAH and he was fuming and arms waving around in fury.I was up in the balcony and main audience couldn't see all this .After a long wait and him looking pissed off,he came back on stage.We all have off days,and so does EC I guess. smoking smiley

Date: March 31, 2011 14:30

Bärs

As opposed to charging them $500 or $1,000 for two hours entertainment where they can often only see the stage via a video screen, you mean? What does that say to you about 'respect' ?

I think your sense of perspective is a bit off here.

Some artists dont 'connect' socially because they feel awkward doing so. Its not a big deal. Some performers can feel shy and uncomfortable once they step out of the comfort zone of singing or playing, believe it ot not.

I can personally live without a musician patronising me with insincere platitudes. Not feeling ripped off is a far more significant factor in being able to come out of a show feeling reasonably satisfied with what I've seen.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 31, 2011 14:51

Gazza
pgarof

He didnt record with them either. He auditioned, as did several other guitarists.

Do we in fact have any proof of this? Any statement by any of the Stones? Ian Stewart? Anyone who was there at the time? The rehearsals in Rotterdam in '75 are for a very large part recorded and can still be heard on a dozen tapes, and the only guitarist other than Richards that can be heard is Jeff Beck on 6 or so tracks, and he was sighted by people hanging out at The Doelen. Harvey Mandel, Robert Johnson, Wayne Perkins, Mick Ronson, Rory Gallagher, Peter Frampton, Steve Marriot and whomever more are named to have audinioned in Rotterdam, but there are no eyewitnesses, nor can any of these people be heard on the tapes.

We know for sure that Mandel and Perkins recorded with the Stones later on in Munich, as did Wood.

Mathijs

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: March 31, 2011 16:11

Gazza
Bärs

As opposed to charging them $500 or $1,000 for two hours entertainment where they can often only see the stage via a video screen, you mean? What does that say to you about 'respect' ?

Some artists dont 'connect' socially because they feel awkward doing so. Its not a big deal. Some performers can feel shy and uncomfortable once they step out of the comfort zone of singing or playing, believe it ot not.

I can personally live without a musician patronising me with insincere platitudes. Not feeling ripped off is a far more significant factor in being able to come out of a show feeling reasonably satisfied with what I've seen.

Charging $ 1000 is all about respect since they target wealthy people with those tickets. Not bothering to communicate with the audience on the other hand is sheer arrogance, especally when these artistst do bother about getting their hands on the audience's money.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 31, 2011 16:47

If Clapton is really God then I'd say Ronnie is really good.

Date: March 31, 2011 16:51

Bärs
Gazza
Bärs

Charging $ 1000 is all about respect since they target wealthy people with those tickets. Not bothering to communicate with the audience on the other hand is sheer arrogance, especally when these artistst do bother about getting their hands on the audience's money.

you have the same opinion as it applies to the symphony? if so, then i really feel those bastids owe me a bigtime explanation or refund....

Date: March 31, 2011 17:27

Gazza
pgarof

I don't know enough about this so i can't really comment anymore, thanks for the info anyway.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 31, 2011 18:33

It seems from this interview clip that even Eric himself feels he's not what he once was. How great it would be if Keith and Ronnie shared the same honesty.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home