Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: is slowhand really God?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 29, 2011 01:45

Sleepy City
Here's Bob Dylan with God...

That's a very special picture.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: March 29, 2011 03:02

I don't think so as there is only one God.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 29, 2011 04:32

Anybody find Clapton too busy? There are two Aretha Franklin songs - one featuring EC and the other, Duane Allman.
The Clapton song, "Good To Me As I Am to You" is a slow, Mabel John-style blues number...from the opening chords to the fadeout, Clapton is all over the place - never stops playing and almost drowns out the other musicians and completely drowns out Aretha's piano, one of the best things about the song. There is no room for anyone to move.
Duane Allman song, "It Aint Fair" is a brooding, simmering blues that rises and falls, and Duane just pulls back, not holding back, but his leads are more subtle, much more a call-and-response to Aretha's voice and the other musicians....she wails, he throws a beautiful riff out....she softly simmers, he lowers the volumeand simmers with a little riff ..he never overdoes it and its so much bluesier and evocative.
Sometimes its seems as if EC is in his own world, playing in another room away from everyone else.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 29, 2011 04:41

Sleepy City

It's like a pantheon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2011 05:01

From within or from behind, a light shines through us upon things......Emerson

Austria - Zeppelzauer ...Borrowed from ROCKSOFF/Right Shoe Shuffle

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 29, 2011 05:05

stupidguy and eric snow, I agree.

I was at a Clapton concert in the US several years ago and people started shouting "God, god, god!"
I can't quite remember who started it. cool smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 29, 2011 05:52

tipps

There is? That's hilarious!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2011 06:26

Rockman

From within or from behind, a light shines through us upon things......Emerson

Austria - Zeppelzauer ...Borrowed from ROCKSOFF/Right Shoe Shuffle

I just LOVE the graphics on that bass drum head. Knowing Charlie, he probably bought it for that as much as for the sound.

Date: March 29, 2011 06:27

The original graffiti was read wrong. Clapton is DOG. It's all been a huge misunderstanding.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 29, 2011 06:29

Wow.........3 pages for this thread....unreal.

Of course Clapton's not God. He's my favorite guitarist though. Period. I don't care for his tone nowadays as much as his sound in the late 60's/early 70's, especially with "Brownie" and "Blackie", his two late '50's Strats, but in a sense I actually respect what he does as much, and sometimes more, than what the Stones do today, as far as live shows. Clapton doesn't do the spectacle thing. Never has. Some people may find it boring but I find more substance in him coming out and playing than in the bombast and posing that is a Stones show. I wish the Stones would just come out and play the hell out of everything the way they did in their great golden age. By the way, I'm not saying Clapton is as good as he, or the Stones, were in their hey-day, just that he doesn't pose and choreograph his shows with pyrotechnics and such..

I don't understand, and never have understood, the anti-Clapton bias around this place. Some of the things people say about him absolutely blows my mind and appalls me. If he's not your cup of tea, then that's cool. But why trash the man and claim he can't play? That's completely outrageous. The man has had an extremely successful career and has become a millionaire by playing a guitar, and people on this forum claim he's not any good.

He's my favorite guitar player. Has been for years and probably will be for many more. None of the "haters" here are gonna change my mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-29 06:29 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 29, 2011 07:46

Some people still see to want him with the afro and painted SG playing through a marshall stack. I think his playing is much more tasteful and musical these days.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 29, 2011 08:52

Justin
Sleepy City

That's a very special picture.

Is it because Dylan never covered Berry? He kind of write his own shit highly appreciated by Chuck...

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: March 29, 2011 08:56

If he is God then it puts paid to the earth being 6000 years old.

God is 66 years old tommorrow.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 29, 2011 09:09

...and Sonny Boy Williamson 1 would have turned 97 ...

the first and only harmonica god

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 29, 2011 09:43

SomeTorontoGirl
I love Clapton, have seen him many times including the MSG concert with Steve Winwood. He's in my Top 10 but... God? I'm not sure God would have been doing his towels at a laundry in LA earlier this month!

(Full props for keeping it real, Eric!)

wow I thought this was a joke.... a lookalike...but it really is him.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 29, 2011 09:55

Tumblin_Dice_07
but in a sense I actually respect what he does as much, and sometimes more, than what the Stones do today, as far as live shows. Clapton doesn't do the spectacle thing. Never has. Some people may find it boring but I find more substance in him coming out and playing than in the bombast and posing that is a Stones show. I wish the Stones would just come out and play the hell out of everything the way they did in their great golden age. By the way, I'm not saying Clapton is as good as he, or the Stones, were in their hey-day, just that he doesn't pose and choreograph his shows with pyrotechnics and such..

Completely agree to your post, Tumbling Dice - and I think the sentence(s) I quoted are the main reason there's so many "bashers" of Clapton on this board. It's like that if the artist is over 55......a certain percentage of the audience expect to see phoney posing and pyrotechnics - and get their kicks over that shit. I presume that's the reason there's so many Dylan bashers, as well.....when it comes to his live shows, not his records. I wish Rolling Stones never had gotten into that silly tivoli thingy.....they'd have had to work harder to make the show going if they didn't....instead of relying on "the amusement show" - and they were able (especially Keith and Ronnie) to do a lot better, at least in the 90s, than what they actually did.

I bet a big percentage of the audiences at Clapton concerts goes home disappointed because there was no "fake orgasm by the end of the show".
Hope they can get that longing for fake orgasms fullfilled elsewhere

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-29 10:54 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 29, 2011 10:18

stupidguy2
Sometimes its seems as if EC is in his own world, playing in another room away from everyone else.

I thought that when I watched the Carl Perkins TV special circa 1985. George Harrison & Dave Edmunds fit right in, but Eric was playing his usual OTT licks that didn't fit at all.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 29, 2011 12:54

tipps
And that's Danny Devito..............

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 29, 2011 13:19

stupidguy2
Anybody find Clapton too busy? . . . The Clapton song, "Good To Me As I Am to You" is a slow, Mabel John-style blues number...from the opening chords to the fadeout, Clapton is all over the place - never stops playing and almost drowns out the other musicians and completely drowns out Aretha's piano, one of the best things about the song. There is no room for anyone to move.

Quite a bit of noodling there

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 29, 2011 17:10

Erik_Snow

Completely agree to your post, Tumbling Dice - and I think the sentence(s) I quoted are the main reason there's so many "bashers" of Clapton on this board. It's like that if the artist is over 55......a certain percentage of the audience expect to see phoney posing and pyrotechnics - and get their kicks over that shit. I presume that's the reason there's so many Dylan bashers, as well.....when it comes to his live shows, not his records. I wish Rolling Stones never had gotten into that silly tivoli thingy.....they'd have had to work harder to make the show going if they didn't....instead of relying on "the amusement show" - and they were able (especially Keith and Ronnie) to do a lot better, at least in the 90s, than what they actually did.

I bet a big percentage of the audiences at Clapton concerts goes home disappointed because there was no "fake orgasm by the end of the show".

I think you hit it on the head. I personally wouldn't go to a Clapton show expecting a spectacle. I would go expecting a high level of musicianship, but many people probably find that "boring". Probably the same people that love the giant circus of a Stones show. They've come to expect entertainment in the form of spectacle. It apparently bothers them that Eric has the audacity to go out and just PLAY without posing and leg kicks and all that... I guess they feel an artist ought to "play his ass off" by running around the stage all night while pyrotechnics explode over his head instead of actually playing his instrument. I know I'll probably get ripped over those statements but I honestly feel that is mostly responsible for the anti-Clapton sentiment around here.

I also honestly feel that Clapton's live work is much more appreciated by actual musicians. Many in the "Clapton can't play" camp probably don't play either.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: March 29, 2011 18:03

Nah, Jeff Beck is God.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 29, 2011 18:08

Tumblin_Dice_07
Erik_Snow

I think you hit it on the head. I personally wouldn't go to a Clapton show expecting a spectacle. I would go expecting a high level of musicianship, but many people probably find that "boring". Probably the same people that love the giant circus of a Stones show. They've come to expect entertainment in the form of spectacle. It apparently bothers them that Eric has the audacity to go out and just PLAY without posing and leg kicks and all that... I guess they feel an artist ought to "play his ass off" by running around the stage all night while pyrotechnics explode over his head instead of actually playing his instrument. I know I'll probably get ripped over those statements but I honestly feel that is mostly responsible for the anti-Clapton sentiment around here.

I also honestly feel that Clapton's live work is much more appreciated by actual musicians. Many in the "Clapton can't play" camp probably don't play either.

it's become fashionable to jump on the "ec has no soul" bandwagon in recent years. people like to keep up with fashion, so there you go. can't think up an original thought, so they gleefully hitch onto that idea, which has zero no way of proving or disproving. what's wrong with ec? uhhhhhh....his playing lacks soul...yeah, that's it....

Date: March 29, 2011 18:44

Loved his work on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"....begs the question, though, as to why the lead guitarist of the Beatles would bring his friend in to play um, lead guitar, on his own song. Whatever the reason, it sure worked. Apparently Eric was at first not happy with the results, satying it didn't sound "Beatly" enough, so it was run through one of EMI's oscillators, which had to be done manually. I recall the engineer complaining about it having to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-29 18:47 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 29, 2011 19:05

Claptn with the stones?

Hearc him on a boot of some stuff with the stones agggges ago - whats the story with why he didnt join? any quotes or stuff?

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 29, 2011 19:07

no way! ive got this and never checked the sleeve - is this Clapton?

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 29, 2011 19:19

Sleepy City
stupidguy2

I thought that when I watched the Carl Perkins TV special circa 1985. George Harrison & Dave Edmunds fit right in, but Eric was playing his usual OTT licks that didn't fit at all.

Couldn't disagree with you more Sleepy. Clapton kicked major arse on the Carl Perkins show. No it wasn't your authentic rockabilly Gretsch picking - he just attacks if from another angle. And his solos on this say it all. Awesome....

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 29, 2011 20:48

An interviwer asked Jimmy Hendrix " Whats it like being the best guitarist in the world" Jimmy replied "Ask Rory gallagher"

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 29, 2011 21:39

Rory is often an afterthought in relation to great guitarists.He is up there with them all.Eric is a great guitarist ,but for me ,since the '60's-'70's has very gradually become predictable and boring.So much so that I would only see him if I got a freebie.As many have said..............The God thing was mainly round London and the music press, and disappeared once Hendix came along.It always comes to the surface when somthing is written about Eric. smoking smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 29, 2011 22:24

MILKYWAY
stupidguy2
Anybody find Clapton too busy? . . . The Clapton song, "Good To Me As I Am to You" is a slow, Mabel John-style blues number...from the opening chords to the fadeout, Clapton is all over the place - never stops playing and almost drowns out the other musicians and completely drowns out Aretha's piano, one of the best things about the song. There is no room for anyone to move.

Quite a bit of noodling there

Quite a bit. Its cool because its Aretha and Eric Clapton - I'm not saying its bad, I love the song and he provides a real bluesy feel......but subtlety could have gone a long way too.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 30, 2011 00:36

pgarof
An interviwer asked Jimmy Hendrix " Whats it like being the best guitarist in the world" Jimmy replied "Ask Rory gallagher"

That story is false, the "original" story said Jimi answered "ask Phil Keaggy". From wikipedia:

Years later, a story would circulate widely and persistently concerning Keaggy and Hendrix. It has been said that during an episode of The Tonight Show, Johnny Carson asked Hendrix, "Who is the best guitarist in the world?" Hendrix is said to have answered, "Phil Keaggy." Another version of the story has Hendrix being asked, "Jimi, how does it feel to be the world's greatest guitar player?" To which Hendrix supposedly replied, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Phil Keaggy!" This account is sometimes attributed to a magazine interview in either Rolling Stone or Guitar Player. Occasionally the story has the setting for the question being the Dick Cavett Show. Other versions have the question being posed to Eric Clapton. A more recent variant has Eddie Van Halen being asked the question by either David Letterman or Barbara Walters. Keaggy has long insisted that such stories are completely unfounded, noting that "it was impossible that Jimi Hendrix could ever have heard me...We...recorded our first album at Electric Lady Studios two weeks after his unfortunate death, so I just can’t imagine how he could’ve heard me. I think it’s just a rumor that someone’s kept alive, and it must be titillating enough to keep an interest there...So I don’t think it was said…and that’s it for that!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home