Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12
'Beggars Banquet' - the most perfect Stones album.
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 23, 2013 16:16

I love many of the Stones albums, of course, and especially the big four. However, after reacquainting myself with them once again, i believe BEGGARS BANQUET to be the only one, where i wouldn't choose to change a thing (however small). Whether that's relating to the quality of the songs, the length of the songs, the instrumentation, the sequencing etc. i think with BEGGARS BANQUET the Stones released their most perfect album (or as close to perfection you can possibly get).

Anyone else agree with me?

Re: 'Beggars Banquet' - the most perfect Stones album.
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 23, 2013 16:20

yes and no

its perfect but so is Let It Bleed

Sticky Fingers is too. I'd put Ya Ya's in there too..

which is the perfectest is up to the listener

and that's the funnest part..

Date: September 23, 2013 16:22

It's the best one of the so-called "big four", imo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 23, 2013 16:23

I certainly wouldn't leave anything off...but if we could somehow have shoehorned JJF in there, I dunno, maybe before or after SFM?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 23, 2013 16:23

It's imperfect, some what an updated Aftermath, both are much better than Let It Bleed.

I'd think of it as perfect if they'd kept a little bit more of the psych in there.

Date: September 23, 2013 16:26

how are they 'much better' than LIB..?

Date: September 23, 2013 16:28

His Majesty
It's imperfect, some what an updated Aftermath, both are much better than Let It Bleed.

I'd think of it as perfect if they'd kept a little bit more of the psych in there.

Both SFM and SCB, and maybe JSP have quite a bit of psychedelia left, though.

The album is kinda transitional. Should they keep the bluesy/folky psychedelia-flavoured rock or take the full step into classic rock? They chose the latter, to be a bit tabloid.

Aftermath should definitely be in a top 4 list of the band's output, imo.

Date: September 23, 2013 16:31

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Sympathy too in a way, but more of it would have made it perfect for me. grinning smiley

It's not all that classic rock though, LIB being a step further in that direction, Sticky being more a true classic rock album, big hit, riffs and solo's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 16:36 by His Majesty.

Date: September 23, 2013 16:32

duke richardson

Better songs.

Date: September 23, 2013 16:39

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Sympathy too in a way, but more of it would have made it perfect for me. grinning smiley

It's not all that classic rock though, LIB being a step further in that direction, Sticky being more a true classic rock album, big hit, riffs and solo's.

Hence "to be a bit tabloid"... winking smiley

Date: September 23, 2013 16:43

We are on the same jimmy page sir. grinning smiley

Date: September 23, 2013 16:43

better than :

Gimme Shelter
Love In Vain
Country Honk
Live With Me
Let It Bleed
Midnight Rambler
You Got The Silver
Monkey Man
You Cant Always Get What You Want

not to me..

but I do love that Beggars Banquet..

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 23, 2013 16:46

Edward Twining
I love many of the Stones albums, of course, and especially the big four. However, after reacquainting myself with them once again, i believe BEGGARS BANQUET to be the only one, where i wouldn't choose to change a thing (however small). Whether that's relating to the quality of the songs, the length of the songs, the instrumentation, the sequencing etc. i think with BEGGARS BANQUET the Stones released their most perfect album (or as close to perfection you can possibly get).

Anyone else agree with me?

Probably their best

Date: September 23, 2013 16:46

duke richardson
better than :

Gimme Shelter
Love In Vain
Country Honk
Live With Me
Let It Bleed
Midnight Rambler
You Got The Silver
Monkey Man
You Cant Always Get What You Want

Yes, better.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 23, 2013 16:48

Imo it's "Beggars Banquet' - [a blueprint for] the most perfect Stones album [insert LIBleed or Sticky Fingers"

Date: September 23, 2013 16:49

His Majesty
duke richardson

Better songs.

Yes, that's how i feel, better songs and also occasionally more thorough arrangements. LET IT BLEED appears to take BEGGARS BANQUET as a sort of template. However, one gets the feeling that it is slightly more uneven, and some of the songs/arrangements aren't quite so finely tuned. I think ultimately, there is a little more of a rushed feel to LET IT BLEED. BEGGARS BANQUET is more relaxed and consequently more self assured by comparison. That's not to say the best of LET IT BLEED doesn't match BEGGARS BANQUET, because some of those songs are amongst the Stones most era definiing, GIMME SHELTER and MIDNIGHT RAMBLER especially.

Date: September 23, 2013 16:52

Those two albums are hard to compare. The weakest stuff on BB is better than that of LIB, though. And the overall feel of BB - the album as a whole - is way more convincing to me. Not to forget the album's unique sound and production thumbs up

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 23, 2013 16:59

This must be the first time since I joined IORR that I find myself in full agreement with Edward T.

grinning smiley

C

Date: September 23, 2013 17:00

DandelionPowderman
Those two albums are hard to compare. The weakest stuff on BB is better than that of LIB, though. And the overall feel of BB - the album as a whole - is way more convincing to me. Not to forget the album's unique sound and production thumbs up

Beggars Banquet is also the last album by the real Rolling Stones. grinning smiley

Date: September 23, 2013 17:05

well Let It Bleed is what it is..

I think those songs are great and my God you have a lot of great Stonesiness..plus the advent of Bobby Keys (Live With Me)..

the baddest stones song ever- Monkey Man

possibly the greatest Stones song..(Gimme Shelter)

the finest Keith vocal ( You Got The Silver)

and the first blues opera.

just making a case but its fun..its only rock and roll (not written yet)

Date: September 23, 2013 17:05

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Beggars Banquet is also the last album by the real Rolling Stones. grinning smiley

I thought that was Let It Bleed winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2013 17:17

Yeah, it could be their most coherent musical statement ever, even though I think EXILE is not far behind. Both LET IT BLEED and STICKY, even though supposedly having more stronger individual songs, are not so 'dynamical' as those two. Both BEGGARS BANQUET and EXILE are great albums per se, while BLEED and STICKY are more like collections of great songs.

But what goes for 'perfection', I don't think there is much to complain in any of these 'big four'.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 17:23 by Doxa.

Date: September 23, 2013 17:32

DandelionPowderman

I actually can't hear anything remotely weak on BEGGARS BANQUET, Dandelion. Of course music is subjective, and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 23, 2013 17:39

I'd say LIB is the weakest of the four. I like Exile the best, but actually think Sticky Fingers is the most perfect of the bunch. Exile has more but a couple aren't top notch, maybe. Beggars is probably 3rd, solid but doesn't have as many "10" moments like SF and Exile.

Date: September 23, 2013 17:54

hmmmm..

just don't see anything weak about any of these albums really..

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 23, 2013 17:55

No, it's Let It bleed...

Date: September 23, 2013 18:24

StonesCat
I'd say LIB is the weakest of the four. I like Exile the best, but actually think Sticky Fingers is the most perfect of the bunch. Exile has more but a couple aren't top notch, maybe. Beggars is probably 3rd, solid but doesn't have as many "10" moments like SF and Exile.

I think also opinions can be divided because of individual taste, too. STICKY FINGERS and EXILE ON MAIN STREET, are a little more rocky than LET IT BLEED and especially, BEGGARS BANQUET. However, i'd go along with the view that LET IT BLEED is perhaps the weaker of the four.

Aside from the more primarily electric songs included on BEGGARS BANQUET ('Sympathy For The Devil' and 'Stray Cat Blues', especially), i have never heard the Stones play acoustic based numbers so wonderfully effectively as those country. and blues influenced songs - 'No Expectations', 'Dear Doctor', 'Prodigal Son', Factory Girl' 'Salt Of The Earth', etc. I think there's a real authenticity in the way they present those songs, even though its so obviously them, even when they are attempting occasionally to emulate a much blacker sound. What is also so great about the more electric based songs is, the Stones sound had yet to develop into cliche, or go the whole hog, with regards to them putting on more layers of electric guitar on than they needed to. I think there are a lot of sparse, and tastefully subtle textures, and especially within the slide playing, on many of the songs, and not just on the beautifully exquisite Brian Jones effort 'No Expectations', either. I think Keith really excels himself, here, and does very much live up to his reputation as the heart of the Rolling Stones (i think this album as well as LET IT BLEED strongly cemented that reputation). BEGGARS BANQUET may also be the freshest sounding Rolling Stones album, and especially holds up well after repeated listens, perhaps, partly because the heavier rock elements, had yet to come fully into play.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 18:36 by Edward Twining.

Date: September 23, 2013 18:45

Edward Twining
StonesCat

I think also opinions can be divided because of individual taste, too. STICKY FINGERS and EXILE ON MAIN STREET, are a little more rocky than LET IT BLEED and especially, BEGGARS BANQUET. However, i'd go along with the view that LET IT BLEED is perhaps the weaker of the four.

Aside from the more primarily electric songs included on BEGGARS BANQUET ('Sympathy For The Devil' and 'Stray Cat Blues', especially), i have never heard the Stones play acoustic based numbers so wonderfully effectively as those country. and blues influenced songs - 'No Expectations', 'Dear Doctor', 'Prodigal Son', Factory Girl' 'Salt Of The Earth', etc. I think there's a real authenticity in the way they present those songs, even though its so obviously them, even when they are attempting occasionally to emulate a much blacker sound. What is also so great about the more electric based songs is, the Stones sound had yet to develop into cliche, or go the whole hog, with regards to them putting on more layers of electric guitar on than they needed to. I think there are a lot of sparse, and tastefully subtle textures, and especially within the slide playing, on many of the songs, and not just on the beautifully exquisite Brian Jones effort 'No Expectations', either. I think Keith really excels himself, here, and does very much live up to his reputation as the heart of the Rolling Stones (i think this album as well as LET IT BLEED strongly cemented that reputation). BEGGARS BANQUET may also be the freshest sounding Rolling Stones album, and especially holds up well after repeated listens, perhaps, partly because the heavier rock elements, had yet to come fully into play.

Keith really excels himself because he HAD TO..

Jones wasn't in any shape and they didn't want him there anyway..

and where has this view that LIB is the weakest of the four been expressed..?

in this thread maybe..Let It Bleed is just not a weak album by any fair measure..

it sort of sounds like because Beggar's Banquet is so rootsy and not so rock and roll, that's better somehow...?

Date: September 23, 2013 18:51

DandelionPowderman

I thought that was Let It Bleed winking smiley

Nah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 19:04 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 23, 2013 18:55

Are some things a bit more perfect than others then ?...and some things just a bit perfect confused smiley

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home