Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12
Re: OT: favorite Whiskey/Scotch/bourbon
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:37

timbernardis
what is the difference between bourbon and whiskey anyway?

plexi
timbernardis..Bourbon is a poor mans whiskey

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: February 21, 2011 10:45

Thanks for picking up on my sarcasm(truth) Belld. Loved your response.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: February 21, 2011 11:56

Whiskey greetings. Unfortunately neither the Scots nor the Irish can be credited with inventing the alcohol distillation process, it was developed by the Babyloniains some 2000 years BC.
It was brought to Europe by the Moors and eventually reached Scotland and Ireland around 1100. The two ways of spelling results from the differences between the Scottish and Irish Gaelic Languages.
Anyway lets raise a glass of the stuff tonight and toast each other and the Babylonians.
Slainte

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-21 12:37 by belld.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 21, 2011 16:45

belld
Whiskey greetings. Unfortunately neither the Scots nor the Irish can be credited with inventing the alcohol distillation process, it was developed by the Babyloniains some 2000 years BC.
It was brought to Europe by the Moors and eventually reached Scotland and Ireland around 1100. The two ways of spelling results from the differences between the Scottish and Irish Gaelic Languages.
Anyway lets raise a glass of the stuff tonight and toast each other and the Babylonians.
Slainte

Hard to find that really good Babylonian single malt, though...

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 21, 2011 17:00

71Tele
[

I've been known to speak Babylonian after a few, though.

Date: February 21, 2011 17:08

71Tele
belld
Slainte

Rumours of such a bottle salvaged from the SS Politician (SS Cabinet Minister) after it sank off the Island of Eriskay in 1941. Highly recommend the hilarious fictional book using these events,Whisky Galore by Compton McKenzie published in 1947 and released as a film with the same title 2 years later. The movie was released in North America under the title of Tight Little Island.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-21 17:15 by belld.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 21, 2011 17:10

interesting tidbit - the only two single malt international championships were won by:

japanese distillers

Date: February 21, 2011 17:19

StonesTod
interesting tidbit - the only two single malt international championships were won by:

japanese distillers
What is truly astounding is the very large number of Japanese tourists who visit Scotland all year round to make pilgrimages to their favourite Distilleries. The Hebridean Islands, particularly Islay, are the most popular.

Date: February 21, 2011 17:23

belld
StonesTod

japanese distillers
What is truly astounding is the very large number of Japanese tourists who visit Scotland all year round to make pilgrimages to their favourite Distilleries. The Hebridean Islands, particularly Islay, are the most popular.

when i did my extensive distillery tour of scotland in '06, by far the largest contingency of visitors were german.

islay is my idea of paradise...can't wait to return and see some of the other islands, including orkney...probably in 2012....

Date: February 21, 2011 17:40

StonesTod
belld
StonesTod

japanese distillers

when i did my extensive distillery tour of scotland in '06, by far the largest contingency of visitors were german.
Tod if indeed you do visit Scotland in 2012 please do not hesitate to contact me as I will be delighted to offer accommodation, hospitality as required as part of your trip. Our fellow IORRIAN Teleblaster and I will certainly share a tour of malts with you in a suitable pub. Oh and of course we have that other common interest in the Glimmers and co. Maybe a Stones gig in Glasgow as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-21 18:08 by belld.

Date: February 21, 2011 18:07

Orkney is special. Went there for two weeks once. Stayed three years.

Date: February 21, 2011 21:20

belld
StonesTod
belld
StonesTod

japanese distillers

Tod if indeed you do visit Scotland in 2012 please do not hesitate to contact me as I will be delighted to offer accommodation, hospitality as required as part of your trip. Our fellow IORRIAN Teleblaster and I will certainly share a tour of malts with you in a suitable pub. Oh and of course we have that other common interest in the Glimmers and co. Maybe a Stones gig in Glasgow as well?

sweet. nice offer. from what part of scotland do you hail? glasgow itself? if so, you must know the pot still on hope st? fab collection of single malts...wonder if frank is still tending bar there....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-21 21:22 by StonesTod.

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: February 21, 2011 21:27

I like Absolut vodka...

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 21, 2011 21:51

SpanishStone
I like Absolut vodka...

That's abolutly not what's being discussed! >grinning smiley<

PS, got me a quart'a'Jameson on the weekend!

Date: February 21, 2011 21:59

StonesTod
belld
StonesTod
belld
StonesTod

japanese distillers

sweet. nice offer. from what part of scotland do you hail? glasgow itself? if so, you must know the pot still on hope st? fab collection of single malts...wonder if frank is still tending bar there....
Lochwinnoch. The Pot Still remains open but is rather shabby these days. Several years ago it certainly did deserve its reputation for quality and diversity of whisky having a card with 250+ choices. The attention to the collection has waned and it is really a shadow of its old self in this way but remains one of few remaining traditional Pubs in the Mean City. Guests departing from Lochwinnoch hospitality rarely use the words "sweet and nice" Tod!
Slainte

Date: February 21, 2011 22:14

i live in texas now and we never say sweet and/or nice. we do some to say howdy and y'all quite a bit, which is kind of sweet and nice....

Date: February 21, 2011 22:29

StonesTod
i live in texas now and we never say sweet and/or nice. we do some to say howdy and y'all quite a bit, which is kind of sweet and nice....
Will be sweet and nice to see you in 2012.

Date: February 21, 2011 22:31

belld
StonesTod

you're getting the hang of it. tell all your friends.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: February 21, 2011 23:59

I really like Bushmills, Maker´s Mark, Macallan and 100 Peppers.

Carlitos
Tenerie

Date: February 22, 2011 11:57

carlitosbaez
I really like Bushmills, Maker´s Mark, Macallan and 100 Peppers.

Carlitos
Tenerie

Em....might that be 100 Pipers, Carlitos? It's a reference to the 100 pipers - bagpipes players - who led Bonnie Prince Charlie into battle (apparently).

Date: February 22, 2011 12:05

StonesTod
belld
StonesTod

you're getting the hang of it. tell all your friends.
What are friends? I have associates who descent upon Chateau Bell devour every drop of whisky on the premises and then any other alcoholic liquid, sleep, eat a huge breakfast, fart, grunt and depart saying that was sweet and nice!
Mornin Teleblaster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-22 13:02 by belld.

Date: February 22, 2011 12:55

You missed out the morning constitutional to the Broon Coo. The port there can be sweet and nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-22 12:56 by teleblaster.

Date: February 22, 2011 13:11

teleblaster
You missed out the morning constitutional to the Broon Coo. The port there can be sweet and nice.
Port like a wee scone is strictly for octogenerian vicars.
What is your memory of the Black Whiskies we attacked with such gusto on our last trip to Islay? Distillers and strengths please?

Date: February 22, 2011 14:32

I had remembered it as a Bowmore, but that seems unlikely as it currently retails at over £2,000 a bottle. I have subsequently tasted a black whisky. It looks like treacle and tastes like.........whisky! No major discernible difference in taste, as I remember (it's all in the eye).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 22, 2011 14:45

I prefer rye whiskey, with favourites being Rittenhouse 100 proof, Templeton and Van Winkle Family Reserve. I like Bourbons when they are of higher proof, like Old Grandad's 100 proof. Malts are nice as well, with Highland Park 18 years a classic.

Mathijs

Date: February 22, 2011 14:53

teleblaster
I had remembered it as a Bowmore, but that seems unlikely as it currently retails at over £2,000 a bottle. I have subsequently tasted a black whisky. It looks like treacle and tastes like.........whisky! No major discernible difference in taste, as I remember (it's all in the eye).
I do remember the drams were a ridiculous price so it is possible it was from Bowmore. What I do remember is 2 of the 3 flights. Firstly Macrihanish to Islay with a tail wind flight time just over 10 minutes, secondly Islay to Glasgow on Burns Night in a blizzard driven by a storm force wind. Numerous drams did not prevent us feeling shit scared.

Date: February 22, 2011 15:02

I remember your face when they fired the gun to chase the geese off the airfield during the blizzard.

We had been in a pub earlier (before or after the distillery tour) playing pool when there was TV coverage of foul weather. We were wondering who was so unlucky to have such snow when it cleared enough for a Glasgow bus to be recognisable!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 22, 2011 15:12

Jack Daniel's Black Label on the Rocks in my local chess cafe,
playing the good old four knights variation.

"off rocks", when they start playing Gyyo after 24:00..

Don't try this at home. winking smiley

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: February 24, 2011 17:23

My favorite whiskies are positively Port Ellen, Balblair and some Yamasaki.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 4, 2011 04:49

OK, inspired by this thread I just picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta 12-year aged in sherry casks, and a bottle of Jefferson's Very Small Batch bourbon.

I am drinking a toast to you all now with the Glemorangie. Here goes......

gulp

I must report that the Glenmorangie Lasanta is quite possibly the most pleasant think I have ever put in my mouth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-04 05:04 by 71Tele.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1211
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home