Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: OT: favorite Whiskey/Scotch/bourbon
Posted by: Potbanger ()
Date: March 5, 2011 09:47

I prefer my whiskey Irish.

Everyday Whiskey: John Powers Gold Label (I suspect people who drink Jameson have never tried Powers or they would switch)

Occasional Whiskey: Redbreast (worth the 50 bucks a fifth)

On hot summer days, I will entertain Gin with tonic, and I'm not too particular about the brand of either.

Scotch is like jazz for me... I know I'm supposed to like it, and I want to, but I can't really spend quality time with either of them.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 5, 2011 10:03

Potbanger

Everyday Whiskey: John Powers Gold Label (I suspect people who drink Jameson have never tried Powers or they would switch)

On hot summer days, I will entertain Gin with tonic, and I'm not too particular about the brand of either.

Scotch is like jazz for me... I know I'm supposed to like it, and I want to, but I can't really spend quality time with either of them.

Funny, that's how I feel about Irish whiskey. I like the idea of it, but the Jameson and Bushmills leaves me cold, even when I was in Ireland (loved those local cream ales though). Never got around to the Powers. It also turned me off that wherever I went in Ireland, they poured an exactly measured EU shot - no more, no less. Kills some of the romance.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 5, 2011 15:47

71Tele
Potbanger

Funny, that's how I feel about Irish whiskey. I like the idea of it, but the Jameson and Bushmills leaves me cold, even when I was in Ireland (loved those local cream ales though). Never got around to the Powers. It also turned me off that wherever I went in Ireland, they poured an exactly measured EU shot - no more, no less. Kills some of the romance.

you been hitting the wrong pubs in ireland, tele....

ever tried midleton? spendy, but worth it....

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: March 5, 2011 16:41

Jameson is OK if you need something to mop the floor with. Stay with the Bushmills.

Date: March 5, 2011 18:37

Carnaby
Jameson is OK if you need something to mop the floor with. Stay with the Bushmills.

words from a protestant, i imagine ;-)

Date: March 5, 2011 19:50

StonesTod
Carnaby

Oh here we go...smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 5, 2011 20:50

71Tele
StonesTod
Carnaby

well, it's said tongue-in-cheek, but it's borne out of the reality that the protestants that dominate the north all but ignore jameson as a legit whiskey, while in the catholic-dominant republic, jameson is king....

i'm catholic, but i've accepted bushmill into my life.....

Date: March 5, 2011 21:03

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
Carnaby

well, it's said tongue-in-cheek, but it's borne out of the reality that the protestants that dominate the north all but ignore jameson as a legit whiskey, while in the catholic-dominant republic, jameson is king....

i'm catholic, but i've accepted bushmill into my life.....

I know. I always wondered how much truth there was to the Catholic or Protestant preferance for Bushmills or Jameson. Is Power for the non-Christians?

Date: March 5, 2011 21:06

powers is a jameson product, as is paddy's, which is similar to powers and is now available in the usa (finally!). used to be i'd have to bring a few paddy's bottles home each time i traveled there....

midleton is a jameson product too - they are all distilled at the midleton distillery just outside of cork. hail to the catholics!

cooleys? now that's a different story altogether - there's also a new distillery starting up in dingle...promising....

Date: March 5, 2011 22:40

StonesTod
powers is a jameson product, as is paddy's, which is similar to powers and is now available in the usa (finally!). used to be i'd have to bring a few paddy's bottles home each time i traveled there....

midleton is a jameson product too - they are all distilled at the midleton distillery just outside of cork. hail to the catholics!

cooleys? now that's a different story altogether - there's also a new distillery starting up in dingle...promising....

Dingle! Well, I have to try Cooley's then. I spent a week in Dingle a few years ago and loved it. Dingle town has like 35 pubs, one is in a hardware store. What a wonderful part of Ireland.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 3, 2013 03:42

Sad story....

Bunglers flush away 18,000 litres of Scotch Chivas Brothers
Whisky galore ... drink poured from bottling plant

By DOUGLAS WALKER
Published: 28th February 2013

BLUNDERING workers flushed whisky worth £½million down the drain during a botched factory clean-up.

Around 18,000 litres of Scotch poured into a local sewage works after the gaffe by staff at Chivas Brothers bottling plant.

An insider said: “It was like someone turned on a tap and it just ran straight down the plughole.” Fears that the booze ended up in the River Leven near the site in Dumbarton turned out to be off the mark.

But Scottish Water chiefs said the sheer volume of spirits could hamper its waste treatment centre in the town.

The bungle came during a routine cleaning operation in the early hours of Tuesday at the whisky plant which employs 600 workers. The insider went on: “It happened on a night-shift washout — that’s when the equipment is cleaned for a changeover between different products. Instead of draining the water and cleaning solution, they flushed out all the whisky. What’s even more shocking is no one noticed until 11am.”

He said bosses were “livid”, adding: “The guys responsible will be lucky to keep their jobs.” A spokesman for Chivas Brothers — makers of Ballantines, the world’s second biggest selling Scotch — said a probe is under way.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 3, 2013 04:03

Alcohol abuse like this is very very sad. sad smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 3, 2013 04:10

Max'sKansasCity
Alcohol abuse like this is very very sad. sad smiley

Not a scotch drinker myself, but my Dad loved Chivas. Kept a bottle in the barn, we always worried he'd chop a finger off...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-03 04:10 by latebloomer.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 3, 2013 04:14

71Tele
StonesTod

Dingle! Well, I have to try Cooley's then. I spent a week in Dingle a few years ago and loved it. Dingle town has like 35 pubs, one is in a hardware store. What a wonderful part of Ireland.

71Tele..Has like 35 Pubs with a population of about 1900..yea its a cool wee place is Dingle smileys with beer

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 3, 2013 09:44

More of a vodka & wine drinker myself but do enjoy Wild Turkey (gobble. gobble,) Jim Beam & Crown Royal.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 3, 2013 10:05

latebloomer
Sad story....

By DOUGLAS WALKER

BLUNDERING workers flushed whisky worth £½million down the drain during a botched factory clean-up.

Around 18,000 litres of Scotch poured into a local sewage works after the gaffe by staff at Chivas Brothers bottling plant.

An insider said: “It was like someone turned on a tap and it just ran straight down the plughole.” Fears that the booze ended up in the River Leven near the site in Dumbarton turned out to be off the mark.

But Scottish Water chiefs said the sheer volume of spirits could hamper its waste treatment centre in the town.

The bungle came during a routine cleaning operation in the early hours of Tuesday at the whisky plant which employs 600 workers. The insider went on: “It happened on a night-shift washout — that’s when the equipment is cleaned for a changeover between different products. Instead of draining the water and cleaning solution, they flushed out all the whisky. What’s even more shocking is no one noticed until 11am.”

He said bosses were “livid”, adding: “The guys responsible will be lucky to keep their jobs.” A spokesman for Chivas Brothers — makers of Ballantines, the world’s second biggest selling Scotch — said a probe is under way.

All that scotch in the sewer system--there'll be a lot of drunk rats down there, they may start procreating out of control, you know how people in the pubs get when they've had one too many....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 3, 2013 10:34

I had some great Laphroaig last night. Jim Beam is okay if you mix it with coke, Jack Daniels is underrated. Oban, Talisker and Lagavulin taste well, and I remember a great evening with Chivas Regal.Jamesson and Tulamore Dew are the best from the Irish fraction I know.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-03 10:53 by windmelody.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 3, 2013 16:42

latebloomer
Sad story....

By DOUGLAS WALKER

If this isn't enough to bring capital punishment back to the UK, then I fear nothing will. I understand they are constructing a scaffold at The Tower in hopes thereof.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 3, 2013 18:42

Woodford Reserve is a great high end bourbon.
Otherwise it's Wild Turkey or Makers or Ezra Brooks for me.
With rye I stick to my trusty Canadian Club reserve.
I'm not a big scotch drinker but I prefer highlands to Islays.

Jameson is my Go-to Irish or Redbreast on payday.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2013 18:48

Generally Jameson as well. For Rye, I go with Crown Royal.

I know I'm going to get pummelled by the scotch enthusiasts, but I go with Glenlivet for a lovely affordable single malt.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 3, 2013 21:33

treaclefingers

I know I'm going to get pummelled by the scotch enthusiasts, but I go with Glenlivet for a lovely affordable single malt.

They do make a lovely ice cream - but you have to go to the distillery to get it.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 3, 2013 21:37

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers

They do make a lovely ice cream - but you have to go to the distillery to get it.

lovely has been banned from IORR

please use one of the following:

BAD ASS
SUPER DUPER
CRAZY GOOD

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 4, 2013 05:41

My cocktail of choice recently has been an old-fashioned: simple sweet and to the point. Normally I make them with Canadian Club, but I'm curious to try them with rye. Canadian whiskey's btw do not classify strictly as rye (rye has to be made from 51% rye, while Canadian Whiskey's often do not have that amount rye,largely more corn) so I want to know what people's preferences are for a good rye.

Date: March 4, 2013 09:10

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers

lovely has been banned from IORR

please use one of the following:

BAD ASS
SUPER DUPER
CRAZY GOOD

But I'm Canadian...can I go with a modification...say, Loverly?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 4, 2013 09:13

Happy Jack
My cocktail of choice recently has been an old-fashioned: simple sweet and to the point. Normally I make them with Canadian Club, but I'm curious to try them with rye. Canadian whiskey's btw do not classify strictly as rye (rye has to be made from 51% rye, while Canadian Whiskey's often do not have that amount rye,largely more corn) so I want to know what people's preferences are for a good rye.

My absolutle favorite: Rye whiskey! Van Winkle Family Reserve is the best in my opinion, but over here in Holland expensive. Templeton, Old Potrero and Rittenhouse are very good too.

But the go to rye would be Old Overholt. It is one of the cheapest, but it just has a very good, spicey taste. Good for blending with ginger ale, and good for drinking pure.

Mathijs

Date: March 4, 2013 09:18

Mathijs
Happy Jack

My absolutle favorite: Rye whiskey! Van Winkle Family Reserve is the best in my opinion, but over here in Holland expensive. Templeton, Old Potrero and Rittenhouse are very good too.

But the go to rye would be Old Overholt. It is one of the cheapest, but it just has a very good, spicey taste. Good for blending with ginger ale, and good for drinking pure.

Mathijs

Overholt has an interesting history...the drink of choice for Doc Holliday:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 4, 2013 09:22

Bought this latest Friday:

Brilliant Bourbon!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 4, 2013 10:21

It's nothing better than sitting back watching a DVD with a Jack Daniels with coke and ice in ya hand.
New to this part of the world is the Jack Daniels 3 litre bottle in a metal cradle the next size down is the 1.75 litre with a nice wooden cradle which I have.

Im buying the 3 litre bottle in the next few weeks for $250.00 smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: varv ()
Date: March 4, 2013 16:23

Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon-"Asleep Many Years In The Wood"
I've only had a few bottles over many years but to my tastes it's the best whiskey/bourbon I've ever tasted.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: March 4, 2013 19:08

Drumguish; Single highland malt schotch whisky

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1344
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home