Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12
Re: OT: favorite Whiskey/Scotch/bourbon
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 19, 2011 11:40

belld
Calling the Orcadian "DRAMBO". Gies yer spiel.

Hello, old boy. You know my views on whisky and how to drink it. For the dabbler, go to a good whisky bar and have a tour of Scotland. Start with the Lowland malts then move up Strathspey. Call in to Orkney for some Highland Park and Scapa and finish on the delightful isle of Islay. Other tours are permissable.

For a Lowland malt, I am partial to an occasional small Glengoyne. It is distilled near here and I can confirm it travels well. With regard to Strathspey, a recent favourite is the unpromisingly named The Glenrothes - always a popular malt of the month in my local howff.

I must say, however, that it's the Islay malts that fascinate me most. Such a range from such a small island. I seem to remember it settling your nerves after a bumpy wee flight there a few years back (all in the line of duty too). Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Bunnahabhain (described to me as "a woman's drink" on my first visit to the island), Ardbeg, Bowmore....ah, the list goes on. And you know what Bruichladdich company motto Clachan a Choin means? That's right. The Dog's Bollocks.

I have a smidgen of Laphroaig at the back of the cupboard which I will be taking to the Inner Hebrides in a fortnight to share with our mutual pal Cocky. We'll drink a toast to you and hope that the Glimmers show up for you on the 9th!

It should be recorded that we have a lengthy history of smuggling whisky into Rolling Stones concerts, the most disgusting of which were the whisky-filled condoms masquerading as chocolate eclairs in Paris for the Voodoo Lounge Tour. Drinking them drew disapproving stares (OK, we're used to that), but the combined tastes of very warm whisky, rubber and spermicide did not match the heights normally achieved. At least we did not end up sitting on a bucket in the Red Cross tent like you know who!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 19, 2011 12:39

sweetcharmedlife
fleur-de-lis on the run?

Only during hurricane season.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 19, 2011 13:25

Come On
jack d is not qualified as Bourbon, just american whiskey (to little corn)

Bourbon : Jimmy Beam
For bledend Scotch: J & B

for the rest: down in the sewer...

I did the tour of JD'S ,The old lady who took us round the distillery was most insistant the Jack Daniel was Tennesse ''sippin''whiskey and NOT Bourbon.
She also said the people in the pictures that they used to advertise JD were actual employees.
I was disapointed that when we got to the single barrel list ,Keith Richards'name was not on there.

As for favorite whiskey,I'm rather fond of JD, but not fave, got a bottle of Jim Beam last night, also like Old Grandad,Wild Turkey and Makers Mark and will drink other burbons too,did try George Dickel Tennesse whiskey when I was last in that part of the States,not seen it anywhere else though.
I like single malts aswell ,though not an expert.
If push came to shove my actual preference is Jameson Irish Whiskey.

Well not much has changed as far as I am concerned,picked up a bottle od JD and a bottle of JD Honey couple of weeeks back,£15 each in Sainsburys also got hold of a Jim Beam for £10 I had a £5 voucher to reduce it from£15 at another supermarket,boughgt a bottle of Jameson at the local Costco as well so I am pretty well stocked for a while.
I was pleasantly surprised with the JD Honey very smooth ,almost too smoooth could easyly drink the whole bottle if I'm not careful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-03 22:16 by adotulipson.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 19, 2011 15:17

SomeTorontoGirl
StonesTod
cool....at last count i was in the 90's...a very fun habit and hobby....

Yowzah! Where do you collect them? It's been a challenge here since the liquor stores in Ontario are government run, and bring in a lousy selection...

that's a bummer. some fabulous liquor stores in SF, from where I just moved - my fave is D&M on Fillmore....great selection of single malts, many by private bottlers. they have monthly clubs you can belong to and get rare items, too.

Date: February 19, 2011 15:18

whiskey
To answer your question Rollmops, the correct glass to use for whiskey is a flute with narrow neck belling out at the top.This allows the aroma to go more direct to the nose which in turn of course hilights the palate.Enjoy.

aka nosing glasses....i collect them...have one from each distillery in scotland i visited....

Date: February 19, 2011 18:20

CRAGGANMORE (12y) single malt -
velvet taste.
and really not thàt expensive...

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 19, 2011 20:06

what is the difference between bourbon and whiskey anyway?

plexi

Date: February 19, 2011 21:56

MississippiBullfrog
CRAGGANMORE (12y) single malt -
velvet taste.
and really not thàt expensive...

good call. craigellachie is another fave - a little more spendy, tho

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: February 19, 2011 22:53

for whiskey got to be Glenmorangie

Posted by: belld ()
Date: February 19, 2011 23:39

timbernardis
what is the difference between bourbon and whiskey anyway?

plexi
Taste, sophistication, style, longevity,class = The Stones. = Scottish Whisky ( please note the correct spelling ) The other stuff perhaps like the Beatles = weak superficial etc!
Cheers Jumpin Jock Flash

Posted by: gomp ()
Date: February 19, 2011 23:50

Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.[1]
Bourbon must be made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn (maize).[2]

Bourbon is whiskey, but it must meet the above (and a bit other) criteria to be called bourbon.

I guess I prefer bourbon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-19 23:52 by gomp.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 19, 2011 23:53

Bourbon, Wikipedia: "Bourbon is a type of American whiskey – a distilled spirit made primarily from corn (maize). The name of the spirit derives from its historical association with an area known as Old Bourbon, around what is now Bourbon County, Kentucky (which, in turn, got its name from the French House of Bourbon royal family). It has been produced since the 18th century. While it may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with Kentucky. The bourbon produced in Tennessee is typically referred to as Tennessee whiskey or Sour mash whiskey rather than as bourbon."

Whisky, Wikipedia: "Whisky (Scottish English) or whiskey (Hiberno-English) is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash. Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (corn). Whisky is aged in wooden casks, made generally of white oak, except that in the United States corn whiskey need not be aged."

Date: February 20, 2011 00:02

by law, irish and scottish whisk(e)y's cannot be aged in first-fill barrels. some of the larger distillers, like glenlivet and glenfiddich, actually own the kentucky oak trees that are used for the first-fill barrels by distillers like jim beam. the scottish usually use them for longer periods and mulitple fills, hence they have a larger vested interest in the quality of the wood.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: February 20, 2011 00:26

Lagavulin

Date: February 20, 2011 00:32

chelskeith
Lagavulin
Lagavulin yep liquid orgasm.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: February 20, 2011 01:01

These are common on my shopping list:

The Black Grouse (a Famous Grouse blender sort for the swedish market)
Famous Grouse Malt 12 y.
Jameson

Sometimes I do spoil myself with a bottle of:

Lagavulin
Laphroaig
Nikka Yoichi

Date: February 20, 2011 01:08

tonterapi
These are common on my shopping list:

The Black Grouse (a Famous Grouse blender sort for the swedish market)
Famous Grouse Malt 12 y.
Jameson

Sometimes I do spoil myself with a bottle of:

Lagavulin
Laphroaig
Nikka Yoichi
Nikka savour, enjoy and respect from Scotland ( Its a wee country north of England )

Date: February 20, 2011 01:11

Mackmyra, one of very few Swedish whiskys. Named after the village Mackmyra in Gästrikland, Sweden. Haven't tried it yet, perhaps I will someday!

Date: February 20, 2011 02:06

teleblaster
belld
Calling the Orcadian "DRAMBO". Gies yer spiel.

Hello, old boy. You know my views on whisky and how to drink it. For the dabbler, go to a good whisky bar and have a tour of Scotland. Start with the Lowland malts then move up Strathspey. Call in to Orkney for some Highland Park and Scapa and finish on the delightful isle of Islay. Other tours are permissable.

For a Lowland malt, I am partial to an occasional small Glengoyne. It is distilled near here and I can confirm it travels well. With regard to Strathspey, a recent favourite is the unpromisingly named The Glenrothes - always a popular malt of the month in my local howff.

I must say, however, that it's the Islay malts that fascinate me most. Such a range from such a small island. I seem to remember it settling your nerves after a bumpy wee flight there a few years back (all in the line of duty too). Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Bunnahabhain (described to me as "a woman's drink" on my first visit to the island), Ardbeg, Bowmore....ah, the list goes on. And you know what Bruichladdich company motto Clachan a Choin means? That's right. The Dog's Bollocks.

I have a smidgen of Laphroaig at the back of the cupboard which I will be taking to the Inner Hebrides in a fortnight to share with our mutual pal Cocky. We'll drink a toast to you and hope that the Glimmers show up for you on the 9th!

It should be recorded that we have a lengthy history of smuggling whisky into Rolling Stones concerts, the most disgusting of which were the whisky-filled condoms masquerading as chocolate eclairs in Paris for the Voodoo Lounge Tour. Drinking them drew disapproving stares (OK, we're used to that), but the combined tastes of very warm whisky, rubber and spermicide did not match the heights normally achieved. At least we did not end up sitting on a bucket in the Red Cross tent like you know who!
Extraordinary memory my dear friend DRAMBO. Whisky flavoured condoms, so sophisticated, thee and me would drink whisky oot a shitty clout whatever the temperature! Joints at Knebworth per chance. OOR WILLIE, the greatest Scottish philosopher who loved a bucket. As for Paris when I proposed to Jennifer on the Pont Neuf on our long walk back from the gig and your only comment was "F.,,,,g hurry up my feet are killing me " So romantic from Partick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-20 02:09 by belld.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: February 20, 2011 02:25

Bruichladdich 35 y.o. single malt. Had it a few times, it's over $200 a bottle, I think. Never bought it myself. Real smooth. From Scotland

[www.bruichladdich.com]

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 20, 2011 03:50

For single malt, Glenalmostanything will work.

If I go blended, then Johnny Walker Black (or better) works for me.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: February 20, 2011 04:55

The Scots dropped the E from the correct spelling of Whiskey after they counterfeited the recipe given to them by the Irish

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: February 20, 2011 07:17

Rebel Yell! Ask Keith and Ronnie!

Date: February 20, 2011 13:20

whiskey
The Scots dropped the E from the correct spelling of Whiskey after they counterfeited the recipe given to them by the Irish
And the Prince and the Princess lived happily ever after. End of fairy tale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-20 18:55 by belld.

Date: February 20, 2011 15:42

last night, ught a bottle of an irish cooley's that i hadn't tried before: john l. sullivan. not a bad value...a little sharper taste than your average irish. cooley's has revived countless irish whiskeys...this is one of the latest...

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 20, 2011 17:34

Wry Cooter

I finally picked up a bottle last year - yikes! Nasty stuff!

Part of the problem could have been that it was only 80 proof. American whiskeys keep getting watered down. When I was home for Christmas, I found a sealed bottle of 90 proof Jack from the '80s in the liquor cabinet. I cracked it open and MAN! It was like night and day compared to the mealy 80 proof stuff out there today. It had flavor, complexity, and character. Same thing with Turkey and Grand-Dad - the 80 proof versions flat-out suck, whereas the 100 proof ones are made to savor... and if they're too strong, you can always add a drop or two of water to open it up and take the edge off.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: February 20, 2011 20:31

JuanTCB
Wry Cooter

I finally picked up a bottle last year - yikes! Nasty stuff!

Part of the problem could have been that it was only 80 proof. American whiskeys keep getting watered down. When I was home for Christmas, I found a sealed bottle of 90 proof Jack from the '80s in the liquor cabinet. I cracked it open and MAN! It was like night and day compared to the mealy 80 proof stuff out there today. It had flavor, complexity, and character. Same thing with Turkey and Grand-Dad - the 80 proof versions flat-out suck, whereas the 100 proof ones are made to savor... and if they're too strong, you can always add a drop or two of water to open it up and take the edge off.

I actually don't drink any more but back in the day we used to drink Rebel Yell largely because of the Keith/Ronnie connection and that it was only sold beneath the Mason Dixon Line -- made it a little more "ours" somehow. It was 90 proof in those days (Jack was 86 I think). To be honest I think it tasted pretty nasty back then but the way we drank it didn't really matter! My favorite was called George Dickel (sour mash from Tennessee) -- there was a white and a green label I recall and one was preferred -- can't remember which! But we'd drink any swill -- J.W, Dant (or J.W. "Don't" as we'd call it) was cheap and got me in the backseat of a police car once or twice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-20 20:42 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: February 20, 2011 21:55

Southern Comfort

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 20, 2011 22:50

I hear this one's pretty popular with the ladies.

Date: February 20, 2011 23:04

Southern Comfort is neither Whiskey nor Bourbon. Wikipedia: "Southern Comfort is a fruit, spice and whiskey flavored liqueur made from neutral spirits and produced since 1874—though not continuously and not always by the modern formula. The brand was created by bartender Martin Wilkes Heron in New Orleans, when he wanted to make a better tasting whiskey."

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home