Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Mick Taylor playing lead all the time...
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 15, 2013 11:11

Check out the page:
[www.latimes.com]

Especially one comment beneath the story is interesting, Mick Taylor was playing lead all the time and Keith got angry...

Re: Mick Taylor playing lead all the time...
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2013 11:26

Before anyone is hurry to bash the article by the obvious error, there is a one great line to describe the experience of listening Taylor:

"You watch him play because you don’t know where he’s going next, but you know it’s going to sound great."

Sums up at least my feelings pretty fine.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 11:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 11:30

Mine too.thumbs up

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 15, 2013 11:43

rollingon
Especially one comment beneath the story is interesting, Mick Taylor was playing lead all the time and Keith got angry...

Unless that guy can lip read who can say what Keith was saying and to whom. He was looking over in the direction of MicK T and Bobby Keys. He could have been saying "Stop snorting my coke" "Stop it Bobby"

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 12:15

What the commenter you speak of says is that Taylor's tendency to constantly solo mars (makes worse) a lot of the live performances of the period. The point is not that Keith was jealous but that Keith had to tell him to cool it in order to sae the performance.

Date: May 15, 2013 12:59

sonomastone
What the commenter you speak of says is that Taylor's tendency to constantly solo mars (makes worse) a lot of the live performances of the period. The point is not that Keith was jealous but that Keith had to tell him to cool it in order to sae the performance.

Yes, I agree totally with this.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 15, 2013 18:45

sonomastone

Hehe, eh...no.

Date: May 15, 2013 18:52

Redhotcarpet
sonomastone

Hehe, eh...no.

It's actually very clear that that is what the commenter is saying. Whether you agree or not is a different question but it's ridiculous to cite this as evident of Keith being jealous.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 15, 2013 18:59

rollingon
sonomastone

I have seen the Stones in Philly since 1969. They played at the Electric Factory. Yeah, I'm old! I believe Mick Taylor provided some of the best guitar work the Stones have ever had. Their famous"glory days" were a direct result of Taylor's playing. I believe he helped form and contribute to their unique sound that has never really been duplicated since he departed. Check out their live performances 69 -73 on you tube. Listening is believing! Here's hoping he plays on all the encore songs!!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:02

terraplane
rollingon

Unless that guy can lip read who can say what Keith was saying and to whom. He was looking over in the direction of MicK T and Bobby Keys. He could have been saying "Stop snorting my coke" "Stop it Bobby"

Richards says something like 'stop fuvcking around', in respond to Taylor's lead lines that are a bit too jazzy or fusion for his likings. At the exact spot during Ft Worth, 2nd gig, Jagger tells to taylor 'don't play too much'.

Mathijs

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:24

At times Mick brought a jazz musicians sensibilty to the Stones music which to me means he would solo or riff more than a traditonal rock guitarist would over the verses and choruses The comment Mathijs references I seem to recall seeing in "Ladies and Gentlemen" during the "Tumbling Dice" outro but I'm not clear on what song Jagger's comment is. Could you clarify, Mathijs? As to Whether or not Taylor's propincity for soloing "mars" the performances is a matter of taste. I for one thought he brought something very different to the "traditonal" rock soloists role and I really dug his contributions...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:26

Mathijs
terraplane
rollingon

Richards says something like 'stop fuvcking around', in respond to Taylor's lead lines that are a bit too jazzy or fusion for his likings. At the exact spot during Ft Worth, 2nd gig, Jagger tells to taylor 'don't play too much'.

Mathijs

Oh Christ, to be a perfect member of the Rolling Stones. Did anyone ever tell Keith "don't nod out so much" or "don't show up for the gig two hours late so much"? Doubtful. Taylor was always the New Boy, and Richards increasingly used him as a scapegoat for whatever problems he was experiencing. I believe the real story will never be told about why Taylor left, but perhaps it is as simple as he just got tired of being picked on.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:28

71Tele

Oh Christ, to be a perfect member of the Rolling Stones. Did anyone ever tell Keith "don't nod out so much" or "don't show up for the gig two hours late so much"? Doubtful. Taylor was always the New Boy, and Richards increasingly used him as a scapegoat for whatever problems he was experiencing. I believe the real story will never be told about why Taylor left, but perhaps it is as simple as he just got tired of being picked on.

The definition of being a perfect member of the rolling stones is to be named "charlie watts", "keith richard(s)" or "mick jagger". and that perhaps is why MT left.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:30

PhillyFAN
rollingon
sonomastone

I have seen the Stones in Philly since 1969. They played at the Electric Factory. Yeah, I'm old! I believe Mick Taylor provided some of the best guitar work the Stones have ever had. Their famous"glory days" were a direct result of Taylor's playing. I believe he helped form and contribute to their unique sound that has never really been duplicated since he departed. Check out their live performances 69 -73 on you tube. Listening is believing! Here's hoping he plays on all the encore songs!!!

Yes, I personally like Mick Taylor era live recordings very much and of course the studio records he is playing in, but I what really ment is that I agree in the sense that the commentator in the story ment that Keith didn't like Mick Taylor playing too much solo in the song. So Keith maybe thinks the songs as art pieces where the guitar solo is just one part and maybe Mick Taylor sometimes went too far with his great solo playing.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:30

Why was he a scapegoat? I have never heard Keith complain about Taylo, except for the studio incident.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:36

DandelionPowderman
Why was he a scapegoat? I have never heard Keith complain about Taylo, except for the studio incident.

Lots of comments over the years: "Mick Taylor was basically a cold fish", etc. I think Keith did not treat Taylor very well towards the end, or froze him out is a better way of putting it. There was also some potential jealousy as Jagger started working very closely with Taylor as Keith's "condition" worsened. There is also Jagger's comment when asked why Taylor left. Something like "he may not have gotten on well with Keith". I am just connecting the dots, but there are a lot of dots besides the "studio incident".

Date: May 15, 2013 19:39

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Lots of comments over the years: "Mick Taylor was basically a cold fish", etc. I think Keith did not treat Taylor very well towards the end, or froze him out is a better way of putting it. There was also some potential jealousy as Jagger started working very closely with Taylor as Keith's "condition" worsened. There is also Jagger's comment when asked why Taylor left. Something like "he may not have gotten on well with Keith". I am just connecting the dots, but there are a lot of dots besides the "studio incident".

I don't buy the jealousy of working with MJ angle though - by all
Accounts keith was furious at MJ working up IORR with Ronnie and Ronnie ended up in the band

Date: May 15, 2013 19:39

I thought it was Mick who treated him badly?

The comment about Keith is from last year, btw.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:41

DandelionPowderman
I thought it was Mick who treated him badly?

The comment about Keith is from last year, btw.

Doesn't matter if it was from last year or 30 years ago, the question is why would Mick J. (who rarely reveals anything) hint that Taylor might not have gotten on well with Keith? Jagger rarely makes idle speculative remarks in interviews, so I am just saying that he may have been hinting at something deeper.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:42

71Tele
Mathijs
terraplane
rollingon

Mathijs

The reason why I point it out is not to bash Taylor. To me it shows that the vision of Jagger and certainly Richards differed greatly from Taylor's vision of how the Stones should sound.

Mathijs

Date: May 15, 2013 19:44

Didn't Taylor's wife say something about Jagger playing mind games with Taylor, and that this was hard for him to deal with?

Date: May 15, 2013 19:45

Could you enlighten me about that "studio incident", sorry but now I must reveal my lack of knowledge about this, thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 19:46 by rollingon.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:48

Mathijs
71Tele
Mathijs
terraplane
rollingon

Mathijs

The reason why I point it out is not to bash Taylor. To me it shows that the vision of Jagger and certainly Richards differed greatly from Taylor's vision of how the Stones should sound.

Mathijs

That may be true, Mathijs, but I wonder just what kind of "vision" Keith was capable of having at all by late 1974? The fact is that Jagger turned to Taylor more by the time of IORR to craft songs (I am NOT saying write them) for the Stones. They didn't want Taylor to leave (or at least Jagger didn't). I am not claiming I know the details of the band dynamics at the time, I am speculating based on what is known and has been said. Based on that I would guess that Taylor was very conflicted about his place in the band by that time, and might have even questioned the viability of the band given Keith's condition. I guess we'll have to wait for his book to find out.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:51

rollingon
Could you enlighten me about that "studio incident", sorry but now I must reveal my lack of knowledge about this, thanks!

"You're great on stage, but no good in the studio".

- Keith

Date: May 15, 2013 19:53

DandelionPowderman
rollingon

- Keith

One of about a thousand foolish things Keith Richards has said.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:55

Taylor is a great player, but he is an instrumentalist and not a team-player, which is why he never fitted The Stones. That's not to say he didn't bring new possibilities and perspectives to them; his guitar on Sway or Time Waits For No One stands among the bands greatest moments. However, especially live, he was difficult to control and there is simply too much noodling going around. In the studio he was great, but live he didn't understand to hold back and let the songs come through. I prefer hearing him live around 1969-70, before he sounds like he became bored an played all over the place.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:56

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
rollingon

- Keith

One of about a thousand foolish things Keith Richards has said.

it's basically the same thing as saying that his strength is in improvisation, do you not agree with that?

studio greatness on 3 minute rock and roll does not require great improvision. live work, on the other hand, begs for it.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:57

It was probably a well-thought and non-emotional comment like you and I always do, without exceptions smiling smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 15, 2013 20:02

Mick Taylor is firmly enthroned in the pantheon of greatest rock guitarists who ever walked this earth.

69 to 74 is mindblowing.

What a waste after that.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 15, 2013 20:03

sonomastone
studio greatness on 3 minute rock and roll does not require great improvision. live work, on the other hand, begs for it.

Brussels.

Street Fighting Man.

The train crash version.

Brilliant.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2229
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home